User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Xenon light put out 1Million Candlepower. You could light up a target out to 1500meters.
The process was to have another tank light up a target and then the wing tank engage it looking thru their daylight sight.

In the defense you would set up TRP's (Target reference points) and create a range card. Using the Azmiuth Indicator and the Quadrant Elevation.

Then at night, if you had a suspected enemy tank. you could have the searchlight tank light up the TRP while the other tanks looked for and engaged the bad guys.

You could only light up the TRP for 10 -15 seconds, and then kill the light and move to your alternate defensive position. (Which also had a range card set up during the day).

Illumination rds. from Mortars was another TTP to engage at night. Thermal Night vision changed all that.

And you had to have the driver run up the engine to about 1500RPMs when that light kicked on...The control box for it was located on the turret wall in the TC's position.

There was a storage position for the searchlight located on the turret bustle rack. You popped the quick disconnects and the power cable that screwed into a receptacle on the turret roof. took three guys to lift that beast.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How far would that light project?

The Xenon light put out 1Million Candlepower. You could light up a target out to 1500meters.
The process was to have another tank light up a target and then the wing tank engage it looking thru their daylight sight.

In the defense you would set up TRP's (Target reference points) and create a range card. Using the Azmiuth Indicator and the Quadrant Elevation.

Then at night, if you had a suspected enemy tank. you could have the searchlight tank light up the TRP while the other tanks looked for and engaged the bad guys.

You could only light up the TRP for 10 -15 seconds, and then kill the light and move to your alternate defensive position. (Which also had a range card set up during the day).

Illumination rds. from Mortars was another TTP to engage at night. Thermal Night vision changed all that.

And you had to have the driver run up the engine to about 1500RPMs when that light kicked on...The control box for it was located on the turret wall in the TC's position.

There was a storage position for the searchlight located on the turret bustle rack. You popped the quick disconnects and the power cable that screwed into a receptacle on the turret roof. took three guys to lift that beast.
I seem to remember having an aiming stake with a red light on it at night when on search light detail at Graf. This was with Sheridans. I believe the light switch was in the loaders position. Been a long time. Mike
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I seem to remember having an aiming stake with a red light on it at night when on search light detail at Graf. This was with Sheridans. I believe the light switch was in the loaders position. Been a long time. Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How far would that light project?

That's very possible as the Gunnery tables for the Sheridan were much different than the 60 series. I had a classmate in Master Gunner school who was in the 1/73 Armor at Bragg on them, and his command sent him woefully unprepared as there was no course for the M551, there was literally only one TCGST task that carried over and that was Armor vehicle ID, and apparently, they didn't do much of that either.  I felt bad for him as they sent him home a couple of days into it.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Great video.

Might have been on a M60 if I'd kept to my original plan and Joined the Army instead of the AF.

I just wanted to drive a tank in Germany, brink beer and chase cute German girls.
My dad failed to see the genius in that and demanded I join the USAF.
Still regret that to this day.

Sorry Dad.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great video.

Might have been on a M60 if I'd kept to my original plan and Joined the Army instead of the AF.

I just wanted to drive a tank in Germany, brink beer and chase cute German girls.

Sorry Dad.
View Quote

I chose the army, and sometimes I wish I'd joined the AF - especially when I got to eat at one of their restaurants.

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Great video.

Sorry Dad.
View Quote

Yeah, that must have really sucked getting out with such a highly marketable skill.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Our tank took part in local parades. Had the pleasure of pulling the power pack once. In this picture the local mayor is riding the tank as his car broke down just before the parade.

Filming a local tv spot

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
………
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:24:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah, that must have really sucked getting out with such a highly marketable skill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great video.

Sorry Dad.

Didn't get to find out.

I did ok anyhow so all good.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top