Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2023 11:50:34 AM EDT
When I sold my house and moved to a new city, I got rid of most of my outdoor stuff.  I was moving into an apartment, I didn't know if I'd be staying in the apartment for a long time, or a short time, and it just didn't make sense to pay for storage for stuff that was already old and very, very well used.  

I'm closing on a house on Friday, and I don't have a lawnmower anymore.  My last lawnmower was a Poulan 20" that served me well for about six years.  If I hadn't moved, I'd still have it and be using it.

With all the BS about gas engines now, and Honda is halting production, yadda yadda, yadda..  I thought it might be the right time to go electric.   The new yard is less than 1/4 acre.  I don't need a 54", 24hp zero turn.  Let's not be silly.  Well, yeah, I realize I'm asking that in GD.  

So who can teach me about electric lawnmowers?  Best brands, shittiest brands, what to buy, what too stay from?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Lowes Leaves Customers Hanging! They Won't Sell You the Replacement Parts Your Mower Needs! Kobalt
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an EGO.  the primary reason for going with EGO is that they started as a battery company first, and then branched into other uses.  My lawnmower is good enough to do my 1/4 acre, but the batteries can be used on every piece of their yard equipment (the string trimmer is the greatest piece of yard equipment I own).  Once you amass a few expensive batteries, they have things like a portable power station where you can use up to 4 of the batteries as a small generator.  I think they are leading the way in terms of electric equipment, and due to them being a market leader the risk of losing support for equipment is lower.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Flawless
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m already invested in ryobi, so I went with their baby mower, which uses the same battery as my drill, sawzall, etc.

Works ok so far.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from mowers that embed foreign objects in your leg
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
They are manufactured using processes derived from oil in about a million different ways.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Best brand is gasoline powered
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have several EGO products including a dual battery lawn mower approaching its 5th season. They've worked well for me so far.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a DeWalt one for our cabin. Works just fine so far.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll third the upvote for EGO.  I've had the power station for a few years with solar charging.  Works great.  My gas mower just died so I picked up an EGO mower with 10 ah battery.  I'll pick up more as my old tools die out.  Mower has lots of power and battery lasts a long time, more than enough for my 1/2 acre.

Any brand you go with, check the box before you leave the store.  Assholes have been stealing the batteries out of the boxes to sell on facebook & craigslist
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Ego battery start giving me fits.
I called them, gave them all the serial numbers and proof of purchase on Amazon.

Had a new battery within a week.

Can't speak to their mowers as I went gas for that but I like all the other yard tools after almost 2 years of ownership.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When I sold my house and moved to a new city, I got rid of most of my outdoor stuff.  I was moving into an apartment, I didn't know if I'd be staying in the apartment for a long time, or a short time, and it just didn't make sense to pay for storage for stuff that was already old and very, very well used.  

I'm closing on a house on Friday, and I don't have a lawnmower anymore.  My last lawnmower was a Poulan 20" that served me well for about six years.  If I hadn't moved, I'd still have it and be using it.

With all the BS about gas engines now, and Honda is halting production, yadda yadda, yadda..  I thought it might be the right time to go electric.   The new yard is less than 1/4 acre.  I don't need a 54", 24hp zero turn.  Let's not be silly.  Well, yeah, I realize I'm asking that in GD.  

So who can teach me about electric lawnmowers?  Best brands, shittiest brands, what to buy, what too stay from?
View Quote
 All of them are pure shit, that's all you need to know.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Flawless
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

And per the other thread - Clickbait video.  It's a $15 replacement part

https://greenworkstools.ca/products/blade-assembly-kit

FYI - I have a Greenworks 60v mower/trimmer/blower and they have been fantastic!   For a 1/4yd I think a electric push mower is perfect.    I'm on more than that,  but my 25yrd riding mower takes care of the big areas!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Stay away from mowers that embed foreign objects in your leg
View Quote

I know, right?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]
https://egopowerplus.com/
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Ego has been good to go here. Mower and string trimmer.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Like others have said.  EGO is the one to look at
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for EGO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Best brand is gasoline powered
View Quote

I have had a Lawnboy for the last 15 years. still starts on the first pull.
I use synthetic oil in it.
Will last forever as far as I can tell.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the Dewalt - I am already invested in the batteries/chargers so it makes sense - I'm happy with the run time and quality of cut I get from the 2 x 10 amp hour batteries it comes with

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1396561-dewalt-2x20v-max-21-1-2-in-brushless-cordless-push-mower.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=32&gclid=CjwKCAjwiOCgBhAgEiwAjv5whGEbytAFgFeQvULyJxYPnWazclPyw7uzoM3dlvH7iJckP1OAGmu99BoCfmkQAvD_BwE

ETA - aside from not needing gas the two biggest advantages for battery powered are how quiet/light they are. I can keep my headphones at a reasonable volume, and self propelled is not needed with how easy these are to push around.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]
EGO here also... I started with their blower and it is great plenty of power and works great for drying a car off after washing it fairly rapidly.  I then got the string trimmer which is also much quieter than my old gas one.  Finally got the mower last summer I just got tired of doing all the maintenance on my gas one and it needed some parts to get it back up and running.  I am super happy with all the EGO stuff I might get the generator and another battery in the future.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I went with the Dewalt - I am already invested in the batteries/chargers so it makes sense - I'm happy with the run time and quality of cut I get from the 2 x 10 amp hour batteries it comes with

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1396561-dewalt-2x20v-max-21-1-2-in-brushless-cordless-push-mower.html?blaintm_source=google&blaintm_medium=lia&setstore=32&gclid=CjwKCAjwiOCgBhAgEiwAjv5whGEbytAFgFeQvULyJxYPnWazclPyw7uzoM3dlvH7iJckP1OAGmu99BoCfmkQAvD_BwE

https://products.blains.com/600/139/1396561.webp

ETA - aside from not needing gas the two biggest advantages for battery powered are how quiet/light they are. I can keep my headphones at a reasonable volume, and self propelled is not needed with how easy these are to push around.
View Quote

You are good to have extra sets of batteries. I couldn't finish a 1/4 acre lot with mine. Around 20 minutes and it was done. I figured I would toss the batteries on for and hour and finish. Nope had to charge it all night.

Tried it a few times. Same result, returned and got a gas powered Honda.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They are manufactured using processes derived from oil in about a million different ways.
View Quote

There are plenty of reasons to be interested in electric power equipment besides being anti-oil.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Is there any kind of guideline about what kind of battery will power what amp motor for "X" number of minutes, etc?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Love my Ryobi. Perfect for my 1/2 acre. I'll never own another small engine again. The batteries run all the lawn gear. I went Ryobi only because my local home Depot has everything for them. If ego was better stocked near me, I may have went with them.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There are plenty of reasons to be interested in electric power equipment besides being anti-oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm okay with gas.  I just figured that electric might be lighter and quieter.  Plus, I already know about gas mowers.  I DON'T know about electric ones.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#27]
stay away from them all. I wanted to get a battery powered blower for one of my parents. they have heart issues and can't have a motor on their chest from a typical blower. in the fine print at the hd display it shows run time of 12 mins on a full charge. LOL no thanks. I'm sure mowers are much better at battery usage than pushing a little wind.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is there any kind of guideline about what kind of battery will power what amp motor for "X" number of minutes, etc?
View Quote
I'm not sure but those 2 6ah batteries above a just enough to do my 1/2 acre.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You are good to have extra sets of batteries. I couldn't finish a 1/4 acre lot with mine. Around 20 minutes and it was done. I figured I would toss the batteries on for and hour and finish. Nope had to charge it all night.

Tried it a few times. Same result, returned and got a gas powered Honda.
View Quote

I had that experience with the first generation of this mower - the new one that senses how much power it actually needs to cut sips juice.

I've got a little over a 1/4 acre to mow, and typically only one light is gone on the indicator.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#30]
So far satisfied with EGO mower.  Going back to doing my own yard in a new area.  

Have trimmer, chainsaw and blower that use the batteries and so far everything still works.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
stay away from them all. I wanted to get a battery powered blower for one of my parents. they have heart issues and can't have a motor on their chest from a typical blower. in the fine print at the hd display it shows run time of 12 mins on a full charge. LOL no thanks. I'm sure mowers are much better at battery usage than pushing a little wind.Weird
View Quote

Weird. The blower I have will run for days.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#32]
The other thing is, I still have a gas powered blower and weedwacker, so I'm not about to change over completely.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I am on year 4 i think with the Ryobi.

No complaints. Also have the matching weed eater, with brush cutter and leaf blower attachments.

No issues.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a twin blade electric lawn mower from the 1960s. You plug it into an extension cord. The thing is a tank. It doesn't have the horse power of a gas lawnmower but it works great on grass, weeds, and saplings. I bought it at a yard sale a few years ago. My gas lawnmower might be on its last legs. I need the cog for the pull cord, or a block that goes on a drill to start it. I bought it at a yard sale. It sat for a decade because the carb was clogged. That one will eat small trees.
I'd never buy a battery powered lawnmower unless it was a common battery like a motorcycle battery.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The other thing is, I still have a gas powered blower and weedwacker, so I'm not about to change over completely.
View Quote

the 20v dewalt weedwacker + 60v blower are great additions
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I have the self propelled ryobi. Bought it early last year and I have no complaints. It does everything I need it to.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I replaced a worn-out Toro steel deck personal pace 21" gas mower with a Toro steel deck personal pace 60 volt 21" electric mower.

I like it far better than the gas mower.  A bit lighter but not too light.  Runs about an hour on a charge.  I can cut my yard twice on a charge if I don't screw around.  Cuts through taller and wet grass with no problem.

I think I read that some models of Ego mowers are really nice.

Read reviews.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Fiskars
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I've used an ego lawnmower to mow my parent's 1/2 acre for the past 3 years. Never an issue and it's easy. Plug in the battery and just go. Charge it afterwards.

I have an ego weed whacker that's been great for about the same time as well.

Still using my honda gas lawn mower but if/when it dies I'll be switching to an ego lawnmower myself. Who knows how long that will take though. Been 6 years and the thing still runs beautifully.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Find the ones that use a steel nut/bolt to hold the blade on and proceed from there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much actual grass? 1/2 acre lot can be a lot of mowing or a lot of landscaping.

I have a 40v Husqvarna for mowing around the pool deck, and that is probably only 1500 square feet of grass, but being thick centipede it nearly wipes the batteries out if I let it get too high.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve been using EGO for 4 years and they are good to go. I also have the chainsaw, weed eater and 650rpm blower. Batteries interchange so it’s real nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I have quite a few Ego lawn tools. Very satisfied but worry when batteries start failing. At $250 for the 5 mah battery its quite pricey
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How much actual grass? 1/2 acre lot can be a lot of mowing or a lot of landscaping.

I have a 40v Husqvarna for mowing around the pool deck, and that is probably only 1500 square feet of grass, but being thick centipede it nearly wipes the batteries out if I let it get too high.
View Quote

All grass and mostly flat. She's empty at the end. If I do let it go a while during rainy season, the thicker grass will kill it faster as the mower senses the slow down and speeds up. The cool thing is I can throw the dead battery on the charger while mowing on the second.

I have extra batteries now too that came with the other equipment but I generally don't need them to mow.

It's definitely a ymmv depending on yard specifics. This one is just enough for me as it came in the box.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought into the Kobalt 40V ecosystem about 8 years ago: mower, chainsaw, polesaw, blower, weed whacker. One battery pack has died. I attempted to repair it and found only one 18650 cell was dead.  With a lot of care and a battery welder these battery packs probably can be repaired.

I've abused the mower running it over saplings and blackberries. It has somewhat damaged the motor bearings but it still works. I follow Chicanic but never worry much about repairing lawn tools, especially not mowers. They wear out, just replace and move on after that many years. Rear bags usually wear out first, not worth trying to replace.

When it comes time to swap out my yard tool ecosystem, meaning the battery system you buy into, then I'll re-explore the options. Same thing for portable power tools--you buy into a battery ecosystem.

If your yard is a typical suburban one then electric is the way to go. Your neighbors should than you for less noise.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

All grass and mostly flat. She's empty at the end. If I do let it go a while during rainy season, the thicker grass will kill it faster as the mower senses the slow down and speeds up. The cool thing is I can throw the dead battery on the charger while mowing on the second.

I have extra batteries now too that came with the other equipment but I generally don't need them to mow.

It's definitely a ymmv depending on yard specifics. This one is just enough for me as it came in the box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for sure. Like most tools (and EV/battery things) they are great at applications they're great it.

I've got two "lawns". The well groomed area inside the pool fence is all electric yard tools, and I love them. The 4.5 acres outside the pool fence get the Kubota/Gas-Husqvarna treatment.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:20:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Oh for sure. Like most tools (and EV/battery things) they are great at applications they're great it.

I've got two "lawns". The well groomed area inside the pool fence is all electric yard tools, and I love them. The 4.5 acres outside the pool fence get the Kubota/Gas-Husqvarna treatment.
View Quote

Yeah if my yard was much bigger, I'd probably go gas. I suppose I could get more/bigger batteries but I'd have to think through that. I see all the brands now have superwhamadyne batteries but the cost starts to become hard to justify IMO.

Also,I bought this mower before inflation under 500 bucks (after 10% discount). Last I checked it's 750 not on sale.

I wouldn't spend 750 on it.

ETA yep listed at 800 with 50 off. I'm not sure it's worth it at that price.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep: like the one day I was sitting on the porch at 6:30 in the am drinking coffee and thinking, if I had an electric lawnmower, could be done well before 9:00 rather than starting at 9:00.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#50]
After this last move and before I got lazy enough to hire it out, I picked up 3 battery-powered mowers to try - Snapper, Husqvarna and Kobalt. The Kobalt was the only one I kept.

That said, if you're already committed to a battery system for your other tools, and the batteries are interchangeable with the mower, that should be a primary factor.

Otherwise, go with the one with the best battery warranty and decent reviews.

Since many of them are now running $700+ it might also be worth a look at the robomowers. If your yard layout is simple, your neighborhood safe, and you don't mind the initial headache of laying the perimeter wire, they seem pretty cool.

Also, battery mowers also tend to be much lighter than gas so it's probably not worth the upgrade to the self-driven ones as it just reduces the battery life. With my Kobalt and about 1/3 acre of grass (on a .6ac lot) I'd still have to swap batteries to finish.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top