User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
stupid games, prizes, yada yada
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Really sad, talk to your teens if you have kids.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:00:40 PM EDT
[#3]
14. Sad.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Winner of the Buzz Killington award for the day.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#6]
God damn some of you guys are heartless.
She wasn't huffing gasoline or smoking meth.  Are you telling me you have never inhaled a helium balloon?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Very sad.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Parenting failure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought I heard that balloon helium is mixed with oxygen so that that kind of thing can't happen.  Maybe she inhaled welding-quality helium?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

She wasn't huffing gasoline or smoking meth.  Are you telling me you have never inhaled a helium balloon?

It wasn't just a balloon, it was a tank:

Instead, she passed out and later died at a
hospital, the result of an obstruction in a blood vessel caused by
inhaling helium from a pressurized tank.

Still very tragic nonetheless.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Dr. Mark Morocco, associate professor of emergency medicine at the Ronald Reagan Medical Center in Los Angeles, said what happens is similar to when a scuba diver surfaces too quickly. A gas bubble gets into the bloodstream, perhaps through some kind of tear in a blood vessel, and can block blood flow to the brain, causing a stroke.

I am not buying this explanation at all. She was not underwater so atmospheric pressure was the same throughout whatever it was she was doing.

or can someone clue me in on this?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm really kind of torn on how I feel about this one.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Are you sure about that?  This wasn't just some innocent school girl party:

EAGLE POINT, Ore.     (AP) –– Last weekend,
14-year-old Ashley Long told her parents she was going to a slumber
party. But instead of spending the night watching videos and eating
popcorn two blocks away, she piled into a car with a bunch of her
friends and rode to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say the big
sister of one of her friends was throwing a party with booze and
marijuana.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
A mask? I'm guessing she left it on too long. That's not like taking a harmless breath out of a balloon.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Three people die this way every year. its probably the six billionth dangerous thing to educate your child on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Ain't no oxygen in Helium...poor girl.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Parenting failure.

No, just a stupid accident that happened to some kids doing regular kid shit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm here, aren't I?

Darwin in action I'm sorry to say.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I've done the same think with those tiny little party balloon tanks. Hmm
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#20]
That's more than old enough to know much, much better. I'm torn as to whether I should feel sorry for the parents or not. It must be a bummer to have a kid die from such a stupid decision, but they raised the kid who made such a stupid decision. Tough one for sure.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parenting failure.

So, is this "regular kid shit" where you come from?
Justin Earp said the kids had four wine
coolers each in the car, and four mixed drinks at the condo, before they
started passing around the helium.

While inhaling helium was the proximate cause of death, I'm guessing she didn't inhale a single hit.  She was probably tanked to the point where whatever common sense she had was long gone and kept breathing it in even though her body told her to stop.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parenting failure.

You shut up!  There's always someone that should be imprisoned when something bad happens.

If it brings back just one child from the dead it's worth it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

EAGLE POINT, Ore.     (AP) –– Last weekend, 14-year-old Ashley Long told her parents she was going to a slumber party. But instead of spending the night watching videos and eating popcorn two blocks away, she piled into a car with a bunch of her friends and rode to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say the big sister of one of her friends was throwing a party with booze and marijuana.

I might be in the minority here on arf, but for the vast majority of people in the real world doing some drinking and smoking in high school was part of growing up.  I don't know anyone that had never been to a party with booze/ pot.

I wouldn't think getting it from a tank would be any different than a balloon.  I sure as hell wouldn't expect a 14 y/o girl to know that either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parenting failure.

Justin Earp said the kids had four wine coolers each in the car, and four mixed drinks at the condo, before they started passing around the helium.

While inhaling helium was the proximate cause of death, I'm guessing she didn't inhale a single hit.  She was probably tanked to the point where whatever common sense she had was long gone and kept breathing it in even though her body told her to stop.

Some version of it.  You Mormon or something?

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
She's 14 and she is smoking pot and drinking at a party with people in their late 20's? I thought the "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" comment was a little cold but on further reflection it is right on. Girl lied to her parents and went someplace she wasn't supposed to go and did shit she wasn't supposed to do. You don't deserve to die because you disobeyed your parents, but there is a reason they tell you not to do that stuff.

As for the 27 yo host of the party. Enjoy jail and enjoy losing everything you have and everything you might have ever had to the civil suits. That's why we don't party with 8th graders.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've done the same think with those tiny little party balloon tanks. Hmm

Yeah, wtf is wrong with people around here? Got my son an inflatable (helium) shark for Christmas and I drove the dogs nuts talking after inhaling from the tank. Guess folks around here would be happy if I'd keeled over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EAGLE POINT, Ore.     (AP) –– Last weekend, 14-year-old Ashley Long told her parents she was going to a slumber party. But instead of spending the night watching videos and eating popcorn two blocks away, she piled into a car with a bunch of her friends and rode to a condo in Medford, Ore., where police say the big sister of one of her friends was throwing a party with booze and marijuana.

I might be in the minority here on arf, but for the vast majority of people in the real world doing some drinking and smoking in high school was part of growing up.  I don't know anyone that had never been to a party with booze/ pot.

I wouldn't think getting it from a tank would be any different than a balloon.  I sure as hell wouldn't expect a 14 y/o girl to know that either.

From what the article says, she was pretty loaded by the time they started passing the tank around.  I'm guessing she was so drunk she didn't pay attention to the fact that she was getting lightheaded from oxygen deprivation.

So yeah, she died of inhaling helium –– but it's inaccurate to portray this as a terrible accident that just happened.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#28]
I have inhaled a shit load of helium. It just doesn't kill you on its own. I bet they were doing Nitrous oxide.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parenting failure.

Justin Earp said the kids had four wine coolers each in the car, and four mixed drinks at the condo, before they started passing around the helium.

Some version of it.  You Mormon or something?  

Why yes I am.  How could you tell?  

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Time to ban helium.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pressurized containers.  How do they work?  BTW:  I never attended  a party with pot present until I was in my 30's. The hostess threw the asshole and his date  out when he lit up in her bathroom.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting failure.

Drinking and driving around like that is 10x more of a concern for me than the helium.
We did a lot of stupid shit, but never really drank and drove.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dr. Mark Morocco, associate professor of emergency medicine at the Ronald Reagan Medical Center in Los Angeles, said what happens is similar to when a scuba diver surfaces too quickly. A gas bubble gets into the bloodstream, perhaps through some kind of tear in a blood vessel, and can block blood flow to the brain, causing a stroke.

I am not buying this explanation at all. She was not underwater so atmospheric pressure was the same throughout whatever it was she was doing.

Pulmonary embolism. It's not ambient pressure, it's Tue differential.

Ironically, if she'd been under a few atmospheres of external pressure she likely would've been fine.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pressurized containers.  How do they work?  BTW:  I never attended  a party with pot present until I was in my 30's. The hostess threw the asshole and his date  out when he lit up in her bathroom.

A balloon isn't pressurized?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Time to ban helium.

you know some asshat is probably thinking about doing this
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to the level of a metal tank....

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting failure.

Yes, when I was 14 I was drinking beer and sneaking liquor from parents with my friends. I'm sure at one time or another I inhaled a helium baloon. Sometimes we even kissed girls and stuff too.

I'm sorry you had to grow up in that plastic bubble, Davie. We all felt sorry for you when we saw that movie.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#39]
everything in moderation including helium.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought it was the combo of alcohol and helium that did her in?
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#41]
What I find funny is the moral crusaders who are above drinking/smoking/inhaling helium and all those devil activities are the ones who are so callous about a teenage girls death.
Yeah yeah we got it, she shouldn't have done it.  That doesn't mean she deserved to die.  The smug satisfaction all of you get thinking she got what she deserved is evil.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#42]
well, that's one way to thin the gene pool.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting failure.

Yes, when I was 14 I was drinking beer and sneaking liquor from parents with my friends. I'm sure at one time or another I inhaled a helium baloon. Sometimes we even kissed girls and stuff too.

I'm sorry you had to grow up in that plastic bubble, Davie. We all felt sorry for you when we saw that movie.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00654/news-graphics-2007-_654290a.jpg

fucking this

i guess some people lacked a little rebellious youth
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Parenting failure.

You obviously don't know the state of the American teenager.

Even if you think your kid is a golden pillar of morality and would never do such a thing, think again.

Many kids I knew in HS had their parent's convinced that they were little angels. It wasn't the parent's fault, kids are smarter and better at lying and do so with much less pause than they did 30, 40 or 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

What I find funny is the moral crusaders who are above drinking/smoking/inhaling helium and all those devil activities are the ones who are so callous about a teenage girls death.

Yeah yeah we got it, she shouldn't have done it.  That doesn't mean she deserved to die.  The smug satisfaction all of you get thinking she got what she deserved is evil.

Sorry she had to die.  But portraying this as some innocent teenage activity gone horribly wrong is just denial.

If some teenage kid got drunk, loaded up a gun at a party, played Russian Roulette, and shot himself in the head would you say "Oh, what a horrible, tragic accident!"?

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Three people die this way every year. its probably the six billionth dangerous thing to educate your child on.

+1

How many kids have died walking into traffic while listening to their Ipods or texting?

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't see how a bubble would have entered her blood stream at standard temp and pressure.
ETA: But, if she continued breathing Helium she must have denitrogenated and deoxygenated herself to the point of passing out. Add alcohol or other depressants and I guess she could have died of hypoxia.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

20 (or so) PSI vs 2,000 PSI.  I'd say there is a bit of a difference.   I'm sorry of you cannot see something so obvious.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#49]
So do you do this for the funny voices or the "high" from oxygen deprivation?  Methinks the latter considering the mask setup.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how a bubble would have entered her blood stream at standard temp and pressure.

It's obvious.  Some asshat held the mask over her face and pressurized her lungs.  Remember, we're talking a bunch of high and drunk adults here, not Mr. Roger's neighborhood. .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top