Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/23/2024 9:48:42 PM EDT
I commute 100 miles a day (mainly highway) and the Subaru is getting long in the tooth. I’ve never owned a “luxury” car, our Tahoe is the closest I’ve come. At my age I’m getting the hankering for a nicer vehicle and have narrowed it down to liking the looks of the Audi Q8. Mercedes, BMW, Volvo don’t have much I like (or can afford). The Prestige model Q8 a year or 2 old is in my price range.

Thoughts of you guys who have owned or currently have Audi’s? Might go drive one tomorrow as I’ve never even sat in one.

I’m not a snob but just wanting to see what they offer for comfort and performance.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Lexus 450 hybrid.

We own 3.  225k is our highest mileage car.  Hassle free C/S, 100% reliable, comfortable ride, 28-34 MPG, very high safety factor.

18Z50.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The Q8 is based on the same platform as the VW Touareg (Which is also shared with the Bentley Bentayga and Lamborghini Urus).  Very robust.

If you have a decent extended warranty, Audi is great up to about 100,000 miles.  Then things get really, really pricy.  Try and avoid the air suspension option if possible.

I have a soft spot for Audi interiors.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a couple (old S4, 2016 SQ5, now a 2024 S3)

Great interior, decent handling, very good tech.  Probably not the most reliable thing on the planet.  Some horror stories of the older Audis requiring an engine-out service to replace turbos. Dealers are very proud of their shop rates and parts.  CPO would be the way to go, IMO.

I was pretty impressed by a loaner Q7 I had (my 3 week old S3 was in the shop for a parking sensor failure and bluetooth module failure....).  The Q7 handled VERY good for a heavy SUV, yet soaked up the RR track crossings, and potholes way better than I expected.  Seats were firm, but very comfortable.  Extremely quiet inside, too.

Q8 really looks cool, too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
They share many, many parts with VW. I had a VW CC and I loved it. When I got rid of it with 144K miles, it still ran, shifted and road nearly as nicely as when I bought it with 6K miles. But, EVERYTHING was expensive to fix. window switches, headlights, etc... and everything used weird tools or tool sizes to remove, so doing it yourself was kind of annoying. But, there were plenty of videos.  Oil changes were expensive, and premium fuel is annoying to buy.

At any rate, I had a great experience, and I loved my CC and would have bought another one if it was 10% larger.  I suspect Audi's would be even better to ride, and more expensive to maintain.  If I were going to buy one, I would go onto cars.com and put in Audi and look within 100 miles and look at vehicles under 15K and less than 2 years old.  That's probably the only way to get a "reasonable" price, but even now with used prices so high, it will still probably suck to pay.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
A higher end car is nice. I have a Mercedes but not sure I'd use it for a daily commuter. I'd probably go look at a nicely equipped Mazda at that point.

That said, a high end Euro car is about as good as it gets. Going from my AMG to my mom's 'all the options' Mazda makes me miss my AMG.

It's worth looking at a nice Euro car. Shit, even my Lincoln was really nice. Don't discount the American cars (Lincoln and Cadillac).
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you change your own oil?

Because if you buy an Audi you won't for long. Plastic belly pans with fasteners every 6 inches, awkward filter positions, pain in the ass to wipe everything up after the change.

If you're not a DIYer the above doesn't apply. Be selective where you get your service done and it will be a good car. A maintained Audi is nice-but so is a Cadillac(for the 6 weeks before the plastics go to shit).
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because if you buy an Audi you won't for long. Plastic belly pans with fasteners every 6 inches, awkward filter positions, pain in the ass to wipe everything up after the change.

View Quote

The late model Q8 has a suction tube to suck the oil from the top with a fluid extractor from Amazon(Like most modern Audis), and the oil filter is also located under the air filter housing right on top of the engine.  You don't even have to use a floor jack.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I really liked my S5 but I only owned it for a few years.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Q8 has a suction tube to suck the oil from the top with a fluid extractor from Amazon(Like most modern Audis), and the oil filter is also located under the air filter housing right on top of the engine.  You don't even have to use a floor jack.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Q8 has a suction tube to suck the oil from the top with a fluid extractor from Amazon(Like most modern Audis), and the oil filter is also located under the air filter housing right on top of the engine.  You don't even have to use a floor jack.

Is that one of the no dipstick models?

Maybe I'm too old but I just can't bring myself to trust a sensor to tell my oil level.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those things are meant to be leased new and dumped before they run out of warranty, imo.
View Quote

When I bought mine even the salesman told me not to keep it long term.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Wife and I both drive new Q7s. They don’t have the same luxury feel as a Mercedes but we both love ours. The 3.0 engine is great and you can do a software only stage 1 tune that adds 70-80 HP to really wake them up. Unless these burn us in the next couple of years we’ll buy again.

If you DIY your own oil changes they are super easy, get an oil extractor from Amazon and you can change your oil in dress clothes, no mess no fuss.

I do second what a couple others have said, I wouldn’t own one past year 4 or 5.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Have owned two S3 sedans (2.0L turbo).
Can get 35-40mpg on highway, which is great for long commute.  Fun car to drive.  Zero issues.  
Dealerships will rape you on scheduled maintenance.

Also owned an SQ5 suv (3.0L V6 turbo).
Eats tires and brakes.  Mileage not great.
Feels noticeably larger/heaver on the road compared to the S3.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Maybe I'm too old but I just can't bring myself to trust a sensor to tell my oil level.
View Quote

The sensors are VERY accurate.  I've been wrenching on Euro for 20 years and I don't remember the last time I changed a faulty oil level sensor.  Ever had a dip stick break off in the tube?  I run into that a lot more than I run into faulty oil level sensors.

With that said, I still prefer a dipstick.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The sensors are VERY accurate.  I've been wrenching on Euro for 20 years and I don't remember the last time I changed a faulty oil level sensor.  Ever had a dip stick break off in the tube?  I run into that a lot more than I run into faulty oil level sensors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only on Ford and Chrysler. I don't drive those either.

Glad to hear the sensors are reliable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Endless moneypit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad had 2 A6's and a couple Q5's

2004 2.7T-sline
2012 3.0T Prestige(I think)

2015 Q5
2018 Q5

The only one he had trouble with was the 2004, but the others he got out of after a couple years. I really liked the 2012 A6, it was a really nice place to sit and drive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Even though they’re owned by Trader Joe’s they don’t have nearly the same quality or selection
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I LOVE my Audi. I DD a 2003 A4 Avant with a 6MT and the 3.0AVK. It has 208k miles and has been exceptionally reliable. Nothing has prevented it from getting me where I want to go.

I have had PCV issues with it. Bad seals. I saw it as a honking and oil consumption. The dual lass flywheel started vibrating around 170k. Put a SMF in it. I think it's a TTV. It's from the UK. Had a CV boot barf. Had a fuel pump get weak around 170k. That was a quick fix. I've done brakes on it once. One clutch. Getting ready for a second timing belt. Basically do plugs, coils and oil and it goes.

My folks have a 2010 A4 2.0T. ~270k miles. It got rings and pistons from auto around 100k due to oil consumption. It's been fine since. 1 brake job, original clutch. The interior is nowhere as nice as my 03. Doesn't handle as good as my 03 but my 03 is on sport suspension being it's basically an UltraSport.

I'd happily buy another Audi if I could get an AWD Avant with a manual again.

If you want to do your own work get the Ross Tech VCDS. Worth the $200 price tag in what it saves you taking it to a shop who will just use the same hardware.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lexus 450 hybrid.

We own 3.  225k is our highest mileage car.  Hassle free C/S, 100% reliable, comfortable ride, 28-34 MPG, very high safety factor.

18Z50.
View Quote

Tell me about Audi, posts about lexus
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you're not a DIYer the above doesn't apply. Be selective where you get your service done and it will be a good car. A maintained Audi is nice-but so is a Cadillac(for the 6 weeks before the plastics go to shit).
View Quote

I drive a 2021 SQ5 and I don't have to use a jack to change the oil. Filter is on top, and a port to vacuum the oil out of the pan is on top.

OP I've had 8 Audi's dating back to a 1999 2.8L 6 cylinder A4 with a 6 speed. 4 A4's, 3 S4's, and my current '21 SQ5. You'll really like them if you drive distances. I absolutely adore the air/sports suspension on my current SQ5.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife had a TT when I met her.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#24]
it's some kind of grocery store.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
A friend was a line mechanic at an Audi dealer. Holy shit, the absurd and complex procedures for even the simplest repairs were completely horrifying. Ok, if money is no object for you in maintaining an Audi, they are really cool cars. But, for mere mortals... run Forest, run!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m more on the VW end of the Audi/Porsche/VW thing but have always liked Audi’s.  It’s my understanding that the Quattro’s AWD system is superb.  

If I were to get an unlikely itch for a sporty luxury sedan (wagon in this case) I’d take a look the RS6 Avant.  

I bet these things take some of the biggest drive of the lot value hits.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
They're amazing cars, especially the S-cars.  Beautiful interiors, all wheel drive, tons of power, everything's all chicken and waffles on the first date.

They're just so crazy complicated, man.  The packaging is horrendous.  At best you have to loosen/move the core support to move the front bumper/radiator/etc. into "service mode" to get your hands in there to change a belt or a hose or something.  At worst most major repairs require removing the engine.  

I think they're too complicated and labor intensive for the average owner to do his/her own work on beyond basic maintenance and services, and you generally need someone qualified who knows the cars and gives a shit to repair them correctly otherwise.  Dudes that like don't exactly grow off trees, and they don't work for cheap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those things are meant to be leased new and dumped before they run out of warranty, imo.

They're amazing cars, especially the S-cars.  Beautiful interiors, all wheel drive, tons of power, everything's all chicken and waffles on the first date.

They're just so crazy complicated, man.  The packaging is horrendous.  At best you have to loosen/move the core support to move the front bumper/radiator/etc. into "service mode" to get your hands in there to change a belt or a hose or something.  At worst most major repairs require removing the engine.  

I think they're too complicated and labor intensive for the average owner to do his/her own work on beyond basic maintenance and services, and you generally need someone qualified who knows the cars and gives a shit to repair them correctly otherwise.  Dudes that like don't exactly grow off trees, and they don't work for cheap.

Thats what I’ve heard. My plan would be to buy CPO and trade/dump when warranty is up.

I do my own oil changes so good to know about the ease of those. Nearest dealer is about 80 miles away.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#28]
We have two now and have been fine. My little 2015 A4 S-Line commuter has 115k on it and just regular maintenance. I do most of my own work so parts costs aren’t crazy, like timing chain set and wheel bearings type stuff.

My wife’s 2019 Q5 has been fine too. I think she’s on 60k miles or so and just maintenance so far.

If you don’t wrench get rid of them at or before 100k miles though. I find them to be easy to work on and awesome drivers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They share many, many parts with VW. I had a VW CC and I loved it.
View Quote

My mom's got the VW CC rline.  4cyl with the turbo.  
My room mate had a GLI, also a 4cyl with a turbo.

From what I've seen from those, 130k miles is about the point when every piece on them breaks.  My buddy always took his in and let the VW place fix it.  For my moms, I'm the one fixing it.  Every piece I replace, I am cussing at VW for the way they built the car.  They are designed pretty retardedly.

I would not buy a VW or audi and expect it to last much further than that 130k mile mark unless you plan on replacing half the car, 1 piece at a time.  Whether that be you doing the work or you paying somebody else to do the work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Define "long in the tooth".
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Define "long in the tooth".
View Quote

Hah I love Subarus, don’t get me wrong. It will go a long ways still but just kinda tired of the bumps and wind noise and tinny doors. It’s a great second car but looking for a bit more comfort and power on my commute while I dread going to work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an impeccably maintained 2013 Audi S5
No matter how much work you do, surprise…another leak.
If you don’t mind that, excellent comfort and performance for not a lot of money.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that before or after you signed the paperwork?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Even though they’re owned by Trader Joe’s they don’t have nearly the same quality or selection
View Quote

Nice. Thumbs up even if everyone else missed it
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Your post mentions that you’re the kind of vehicle owner to put quite a few miles more than average on a vehicle per day and you prefer to keep your vehicle for long periods of time. Notice how everyone keeps saying things like “I own one and love it! But they turn into trash at 100k miles…”? That should lead you to the correct answer.

If you want an Audi-level luxury vehicle that will last forever and be bombproof reliable, your options are Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti, in that order
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#36]
We had a 2018 Q5 and still have the 2018 A5 sportback...excellent engineered driving machines...like them better than my BMW 335xi.....I will say the greatest disappointment is the resale value is complete shit...we paid 55K for the 2018 A5 S line premium plus sportback. Car has 45K miles in MINT condition and best we have been offered towards a trade in is 17K car is garaged with new brakes, tires, snow tires and rims, in MINT condition....we will never buy another one due to the horrific resale value....
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#37]
When I’m done with my raptor I’m for sure getting a sq7 if they still make them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We had a 2018 Q5 and still have the 2018 A5 sportback...excellent engineered driving machines...like them better than my BMW 335xi.....I will say the greatest disappointment is the resale value is complete shit...we paid 55K for the 2018 A5 S line premium plus sportback. Car has 45K miles in MINT condition and best we have been offered towards a trade in is 17K car is garaged with new brakes, tires, snow tires and rims, in MINT condition....we will never buy another one due to the horrific resale value....
View Quote

That’s because everyone knows at 45k miles it’s already on its last legs
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I drive a 2021 SQ5 and I don't have to use a jack to change the oil. Filter is on top, and a port to vacuum the oil out of the pan is on top.

OP I've had 8 Audi's dating back to a 1999 2.8L 6 cylinder A4 with a 6 speed. 4 A4's, 3 S4's, and my current '21 SQ5. You'll really like them if you drive distances. I absolutely adore the air/sports suspension on my current SQ5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most Audis I have worked on have had a cartridge filter in a plastic cup, positioned in a way that it should be removed from below, but you can only get to it from above-so you get to reach down the side of a hot block and bend your arm where it doesn't have joints.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#40]
It's a Volkswagen
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#41]
They make cars.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Daily a ‘21 SQ8.

Great car so far, still in warranty though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a ‘21 Q8 Sport Package Vicuña Beige.

Best car ever!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#46]
175K my 2009 A4.

Been a great car but I do my own maintenance and change the oil every 5K. It’s not a Toyota but mine has done really well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Not my favorite,  kind of a hybrid VW, with an even worse reliability reputation.  They are nice cars, right up until they are not anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Dude if you're going to be churning out the miles get a soul less aisain car. They have it down pat. Low maintenance and bomb proof reliability.  And some of the Camary, and Accords in sport trim look pretty sharp.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#49]
2022 RS6 Avant is my daily. It's a POS and I'll never buy another Audi. At least it's fast.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:10:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Most Audis I have worked on have had a cartridge filter in a plastic cup, positioned in a way that it should be removed from below, but you can only get to it from above-so you get to reach down the side of a hot block and bend your arm where it doesn't have joints.
View Quote

My A4 has a filter on the bottom. Gotta pull the skid plate. It's 3 bolts for my aluminum skid plate but the car is 4" off the dirt so it's something I lift the car for.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top