Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/29/2019 6:46:26 PM EDT
What's the tax situation like and what areas aren't shitholes?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I know i went through there once a long time ago.

They like horses, a lot, they even have a real big horse race there.

A friend lives in TN, says it is much better tax wise in TN
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to see my best friend in 2 weeks and driving all the way to Western KY.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
They make the nectar of the Gods there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Turtles.  Everywhere.

Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Kentucky Tavern sucks
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Home of "Nasty women", Ashley Judd.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Central KY is nice, I.e. Lexington, Elisabethtown, Bardstown. I live in Eastern KY, good people, there is just nothing to do. Dunno how old you are or what you’re looking for, especially for work?

Edit: taxes overall are average, middle of the range nation wide. 6% state income tax, property taxes are low but will get bent over on vehicle “Registration” and I use that term very loosely.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:12:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Pike County, be scared, be very scared.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Sales & property tax are on the low end.  Income tax not too bad, but yearly car registration tax is based on car value.

Louisville east of I65 is ok.  Eastern Jefferson County is the nicest area (Prospect, Goshen, etc.).  Lexington has a nice vibe to it.  Traffic can be a pain if you live in the wrong area.  Owensboro, Frankfort, Pikeville and Covington round out the medium sized cities.  Not much to them.  But you pretty much want to stay in the "triangle" (Lou-Lex-Cov).
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
FAJ
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Avoid Louisville..it’s beautiful state. If I recall vehicles are property taxed but real property taxes are lower.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sales & property tax are on the low end.  Income tax not too bad, but yearly car registration tax is based on car value.

Louisville east of I65 is ok.  Eastern Jefferson County is the nicest area (Prospect, Goshen, etc.).  Lexington has a nice vibe to it.  Traffic can be a pain if you live in the wrong area.  Owensboro, Frankfort, Pikeville and Covington round out the medium sized cities.  Not much to them.  But you pretty much want to stay in the "triangle" (Lou-Lex-Cov).
View Quote
Mostly this. Although I would stay the hell away from Louisville. One of the worst mid size cities in the country. If you’re gonna go somewhere like Louisville just keep driving South another 3 or 4 hours to Nashville.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I grew up in Western Kentucky and I hated it. Thought it was hell on Earth and wanted nothing more than it all to burn to the ground with all of its disgusting inbred people in it. Went back to visit the Lexington and Louisville regions after I got out of the Navy and loved them. Diverse markets for jobs that kept it from falling apart in the recession, good value on houses great restaurants and bars, well rated schools. We have lived all over the world and Lexington is definitely one of the best places we lived in the US.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Basically the west side of Louisville and most of Covington and Newport (both located riverside opposite of Cincinnati) are shit holes. There is a ton of poor white trash out in the small towns and countryside that are a mix of just poor to meth addicted psycho-billies. There is a quite a variance in terrain from east (mountainous) to west (flat). If I had to choose one area it would be somewhere near Lexington, like Nicholasville. But it all depends, if you want more rural and/or cheaper living you can find very inexpensive land and homes way out away from the interstate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Bowling Green has a cool vibe.

Lexington and just south are ritzier, but much prettier.

I like Owensboro a lot, but not much work around there.

Taxes in TN are much better, and certain counties don’t have car inspections.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:18:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Taylorsville/Shelbyville are are very laid back towns, nobody in any hurry. Lots of farm country, but convenient to Louisville.  Lots of old money there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]
You pretty fond of your sister?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Avoid Louisville. It's a demokrat run shit hole.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got no complaints about taxes, but I'm not rich/smart enough to know/care about them. We are near the top for 2A rights. Near the bottom in education and "healthy living".

Avoid living in Jefferson County to evade the reach of an inevitably full-on, left-wing kook Louisville Metro government.

Quoted:
View Quote
She has lived in Tennessee for a while. It came up when the dems tried to push her as a challenger to McConnell.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#21]
There is Kentucky, then there is Louisville.

I love Louisville,  I have lived in the south end for my adult life and enjoy it. Yrah, there are dopers and thieves but we have alot of kick ass mexican and asian restaraunts as well as some African ones iver here. Houses are much cheaper than the east end.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I love just about everything about this state, except for the weather, it’s unpredictable.

The Shelby county area is beautiful, and is close to Frankfort, Lexington, and Louisville. I used to work in Shelby county, and I’d move there given the opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Them damn McCoys are nothing but trouble.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don’t know why this myth is perpetuated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Good whiskey
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have to understand who posted it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Weather sucks here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Moved from NC to Louisville in 05, very few complaints.
Can't speak to life in more rural parts of the state, however.
If you want a laid back slower pace pretty sure that can be found pretty easy once you distance yourself from urban areas.
The family much prefers the faster pace / plenty of offerings Louisville has to offer vs the sticks.
My personal preference is somewhere in between the two.
Positives
Eastern KY dirt biking / black mountain.
Knob creek range.
Very cool Floyd's Fork park system / bike / running trails around the city.
Lots of events and watering holes.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Very interested in this thread as well. Looks like I will be moving out there by the end of the year for work. My work would be close to I-265 and I-65. Single, no kids, no friends or family out there. I would be going blind, but this is a great opportunity to finally leave CA for me.

How would the commute look like from the St. Matthews area? Is there any fishing or water activities on the Ohio River?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#30]
best state in the union

I live in Pike County.  guy above commenting on it  doesnt know jack shit about it
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Very interested in this thread as well. Looks like I will be moving out there by the end of the year for work. My work would be close to I-265 and I-65. Single, no kids, no friends or family out there. I would be going blind, but this is a great opportunity to finally leave CA for me.

How would the commute look like from the St. Matthews area? Is there any fishing or water activities on the Ohio River?
View Quote
Do you like catfish and sauger?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#32]
A buddy of mine is from Murray and tells me that Western KY is becoming the HQ for CBD hemp growing this side of the Mississippi.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Having left Va for Ky here are my observations.

1.  Taxes are higher than in VA.  I came from Henrico county and my property taxes there were about the same on a house less than half the value in VA.  
2.  Car taxes are more.  I had a 15 year old truck and had to pay the difference in sales taxes between what I paid in Va in 2001 and what I would have had to pay in KY.  Never mind I had owned it for 15 years.  That was just to register it.  And dont forget you have to physically bring each car to the clerk to check the odometer.
3.  Find a job in a stable industry or bring it with you.  Good paying jobs are hard to find in the rural areas.
4.  Land is cheap and so is housing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Hot, sucks, gay.

Apparently some decent elk hunting though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#36]
It’s a commonwealth just like va. Taxes are someways similarl. I greatly enjoyed the state during my stay.

@buck19delta
@godzuki
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:29:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly just trout fishing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
My workplace is approximately 1.5 miles from 65/265
The commute to / from St. Matthews would be one of the heavier traffic areas during rush hour.
Not close to heavy congestion in a truly large city however.

Can’t speak to the fishing. Do see quite a few recreational craft on the river.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#39]
I looked in central and eastern KY for a vacation house about 6 years ago. I learned one thing, they will steal your copper.
KY wasn't the place for me and mine, no way. Settled on W. NC.
Lots of meth out there at the time, no reason there wont be now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Stay in the Central Kentucky area if you move here. Not a fan of Louisville in general but I go there when I have to.

Lexington isn't bad. I live in between Louisville and Lexington and drive to Lexington to work every day. Wife drives to Shelbyville every day. Most of the small towns in the area are pretty nice and low crime.

I moved from Alabama 16 years ago. Property taxes are higher, car insurance is higher, sales taxes are lower.
No tax on groceries. A lot of localities have payroll tax.
My county also adds tax to vehicle insurance.

If your state has lower than 6% sales tax on vehicles you will have to pay the difference on the assessed value of your vehicle to register it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Louisville is a liberal shithole with the most fucked up public school system in the US.
There are a lot of nice small towns here that are laid back and very conservative.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:42:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Just moved to outside of Somerset KY from Colorado. Loving it and so is my family. So far one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Bowling Green, Owensboro, Elizabethtown.

All good areas.

Currently reside in the middle of them and work in Owensboro.

Louisville and Lexington can be shitholes of liberal nonsense.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I love eastern KY,  Lee County, Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge.
World class motorcycling, awesome scenery, but poor as poor can be. I wish there were employment  opportunities in the area.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Mostly this. Although I would stay the hell away from Louisville. One of the worst mid size cities in the country. If you’re gonna go somewhere like Louisville just keep driving South another 3 or 4 hours to Nashville.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Louisville for 9 years and basically everything you said is complete shit.

Louisville is a great city, awesome parks, great food, and lots of entertainment.

Its a bigger city (small side of large) and has common big city issues, but its no Baltimore.

Thats not to say Nashville is bad, also a good city.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
best state in the union

I live in Pike County.  guy above commenting on it  doesnt know jack shit about it
View Quote
I'm up on Brushy about once every month or so. There's a few bad apples, same as any other place. I'd live there if my wife didnt make so much in Lexington. For now, Richmond is good enough.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Born and raised about 15 minutes (since they built the new road, more like 30 minutes back in the day) from Bowling Green, Kentucky. Now I live just a few minutes south down in Tennessee. BG has that little big town thing going on where it has lots of stuff to do, but you're only minutes from farm country. It's just a hop down to Nashville on I-65, too. Easy jaunt up to Owensboro and Evansville, IN area on Green River Parkway, too. Worst thing about living in Kentucky is the yearly vehicle tax; it can suck if you drive new vehicles. Land taxes aren't bad. Think I paid about $950 last year on 160 acres of farmland. Basketball is a religion. Lots of truck pulling in Soky, too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I lived in Louisville for 9 years and basically everything you said is complete shit.

Louisville is a great city, awesome parks, great food, and lots of entertainment.

Its a bigger city (small side of large) and has common big city issues, but its no Baltimore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly this. Although I would stay the hell away from Louisville. One of the worst mid size cities in the country. If you're gonna go somewhere like Louisville just keep driving South another 3 or 4 hours to Nashville.

Nashville is on a rapid downward spiral.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I have driven I 65 from Lake Michigan to the gulf coast.   The Kentucky stretch of I65 is the best maintained and the prettiest.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#50]
It's clear on the other side of the country.  No one I know knows anything about it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top