Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Kentucky is pretty decent from what I’ve experienced ( Lexington area). That being said, there is a serious lack of outdoor rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kentucky is pretty decent from what I’ve experienced ( Lexington area). That being said, there is a serious lack of outdoor rifle ranges.
View Quote
When I was a kid they weren't really needed...  Now not so much.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Virginia.....I had to pony-up and buy my own place to shoot. Mah Cows.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's why I built my own.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Just moved to Kentucky from Denver.

Love it out here so far. No idea on the tax comparison.

My backyard now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's why I built my own.
View Quote
Nice, don’t think my neighbors would appreciate a firing range in the subdivision lol
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes you will pay on vehicle taxes - I have this humorous discussion with my sister in law all the time.  She laughs at me because I pay $300 or so dollars every year for my car but only about $1800 for my house taxes.  She, on the other hand pays about $1200 a month in taxes for her house in New Jersey.  But I'm the dumb one

I live in the Northern part of the state.  Has lots of pluses, close to several airports, lots of restaurants, close to Cincinnati if you want theatre or symphony.  Down side is acreage is expensive because of the aforementioned, so if you want land you have to go further out.  Lots of jobs up here, Amazon has about 7 warehouses in our county and are building their air hub here.  Traffic can be bad, but not near as bad as LA or Chicago so there's that.  Good quality of life and low cost of living overall.

What you want will kind of dictate which part of the state will be better for you.

I will caution you about property taxes - watch out for areas that may have an independent school district - that doubles the property taxes in my county.  Also, some cities will have an additional city tax on top of the county property tax that the Sheriff's office collects (in KY the Sheriff is mandated by statute to collect and disperse property taxes but the county clerk collects vehicle taxes).
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If my job were there, I'd look at Bullitt Co over St Matthews.
View Quote
Any particular reason why? I am guessing taxes, which is good enough reason. Unless there are other things. I was also looking at the Shepherdsville area. No kids, so better schools are not a concern for me.

Also, I am used to SoCal traffic, so what is considered heavy traffic would likely be relatively less than what I am accustomed to. Same with over crowding.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like taxes in KY are more fucked up than in VA.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Most of the time it's just a little bit of snow.  Evey now and then we get a humdinger but most of the time it's not bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do any parts of it have a winter worth a shit?  I see that some places get 13" or so of snow a year - is there some magical place that gets more?
Most of the time it's just a little bit of snow.  Evey now and then we get a humdinger but most of the time it's not bad.
Bummer. The parts I've driven through seem very nice, nice people etc etc.

But I have to have a decent winter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any particular reason why? I am guessing taxes, which is good enough reason. Unless there are other things. I was also looking at the Shepherdsville area. No kids, so better schools are not a concern for me.

Also, I am used to SoCal traffic, so what is considered heavy traffic would likely be relatively less than what I am accustomed to. Same with over crowding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Shepherdsville 2005-2013 then moved to Middletown area east of 265.
Prefer Middletown much more. Actually a lot more.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Lived in the Lexington area from 2000-04, it was nice.  I've been to a few places since - Huntsville, AL, Waco TX, Denver, CO, and now Harrisonburg, VA. While I like Denver the best, Lexington would be a close second.  Nice mid sized city.  Lots of money in Lexington though, so one of those cities where it's a have, or have not neighborhood thing.  Like Denver in that regard.  I'd move back to Lexington with no real qualms.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Daniel Boone.

Pennsylvania first.

Kentucky= suburb of Pennsylvania
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Born and raised native.

Lexington and central Kentucky are nice.  I don't care for Louisville at all.

In the north, the areas closest to Cincinnati like Covington and Newport are to be avoided.  However, there are a lot of areas just south of there (Florence, Ft Thomas, Alexandria, etc.) that are very nice.  You can find some rural land if you want or you can find suburbs but they are close enough to Cincinnati that you have access to just about whatever you want including more employment opportunities.  Cincinnati and the area to the north of town are very congested but you go south of town to Florence, Alexandria, and so on and it opens up quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Born and raised native.

Lexington and central Kentucky are nice.  I don't care for Louisville at all.

In the north, the areas closest to Cincinnati like Covington and Newport are to be avoided.  However, there are a lot of areas just south of there (Florence, Ft Thomas, Alexandria, etc.) that are very nice.  You can find some rural land if you want or you can find suburbs but they are close enough to Cincinnati that you have access to just about whatever you want including more employment opportunities.  Cincinnati and the area to the north of town are very congested but you go south of town to Florence, Alexandria, and so on and it opens up quite a bit.
View Quote
This ^  
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's basically driving across town vs. living next door.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got the job offer today. They want me there by October 14, but hopefully they agree to the week after Thanksgiving due to prescheduled PTO with flights already booked. It is with the same company and the company is pretty good about being understanding in these situations.

A few more questions.

Do the roads out there get salted in the winter?

Are there any good trap/skeet/sporting clay ranges in the Louisville area within a 30 minute drive? I plan on only taking a few handguns and my shotgun at first and leave everything else with my brother until I get settled in.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#19]
The roads do get salted, cant help on the skeet range part though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#20]
If I ever ran into a situation where I had to leave Texas, Bowling Green is my first choice. I have been there a few times and really like everything about it.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top