Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/20/2023 2:54:54 PM EDT
Specifically the area around Lexington. I've been around that way to visit once, but what's day to day living like? Any recommended rural areas near by? I feel like KY is one of those sleeper states you don't hear much about. I'm considering a relocation there from small town MI, fwiw. My house is on some land here in a farm community where I can shoot, ride dirt bikes, do what-the-hell ever, etc. Would like to replicate that potentially in KY. No, I'm not gonna F'up your state.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It truly is the promised land.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you feel about OxyContin and meth?  

Inbreeding until you turn blue  is seemly an KY only thing, though likely convenient for KY Wildcats Basketball fans.

Also, they used to have a state motto that amused me:

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It truly is the promised land.
View Quote

Also The Dark and Bloody Ground.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Kentucky is very heavy on taxation for a "free state"
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Moved here 4 years ago.  I was born in Kentucky but grew up in Colorado.  Moving here was the best thing ever.  Stay out of Lexington and Louisville.  I am in the Somerset area and love it here.  My money goes way father here than it did in Colorado.  There is certainly a lot of meth use and poverty around but I spent my Summers in Eastern Kentucky so it isn't something new for me.  I live in a VERY conservative area and it is refreshing to not deal with liberal bullshit like I did in Colorado
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Inbreeding until you turn blue  is seemly an KY only thing, though likely convenient for KY Wildcats Basketball fans.

https://www.edpost.com/hubfs/Imported_Blog_Media/kentucky-resized.jpg

View Quote

I was really expecting that guy in the last pic in the article to look way more blue.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Have good whiskey there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I enjoyed the 4 months I spent there. Of course I'm speaking from a purely environmental point of view. It's beautiful and the weather was tolerable. Skunks everywhere. I've never seen one outside a zoo until I went to Kentucky.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not the promised land or even close but it is better than most states.  For example there is a strong chance a bunch of Republicans here will vote for our Democrat tyrant Governor who pushed locked downs and mask mandate.  He was almost as bad as Whitmer, just a bit let crazy.  But if you plan is to be rural and left alone then stuff like that doesn't matter much.

The state is various types of landscapes and cultures.  How remote do you want to be?  Do you need a city nearby to work in, do you work remote, or are you retired?  Do you like mountains, foothills, rolling hills, or flat lands as we have all of them.  Each has a different type of economy and culture.  Do you like lakes and/or fishing?  There is still plenty of rural areas near lakes here.  Even on the big lakes you can hear people shooting on their own property.  

There is an archived thread on where to move to in Kentucky that does a pretty good job explaining the various areas.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Where-to-move-to-in-Kentucky-/27-656511/

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Allergy season is a good solid nine months. The vehicle taxes are quite annoying. Drugs are a huge problem in some areas which leads to a lot of theft. I live about 30 minutes outside of Louisville. I enjoy it. I came from around Chicago so this is freedom to me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I have hunting land in western ky and it's non-stop poaching, theft, and trespassing.

It's a full time job just keeping people off my property. And my neighbors are no help. Drugs.

Really considereing selling and buying some land in MO.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I left Colorado 4 years ago and moved to Oldham County (outside Louisville). I absolutely love it.

Sorry, don't know anything about Lexington or surrounding areas.

Don't forget about Tennessee. Very beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.edpost.com/hubfs/Imported_Blog_Media/kentucky-resized.jpg

View Quote

First of all the inbreeding shit is a lie. As for the meth and drugs that shit is everywhere. Especially in southern Ohio. Kentucky is wide open if you get out of the towns. Key is to be close enough to get supplies and entertainment but be rural enough to not have to deal with the city bullshit. I love it here. I’m in southeastern Kentucky. Lived in a few states including florida. I’d have to say florida is nice but I always love coming home. Kentucky will always be home.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Their jelly tastes funny, but it goes down smooth.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

First of all the inbreeding shit is a lie. As for the meth and drugs that shit is everywhere. Especially in southern Ohio. Kentucky is wide open if you get out of the towns. Key is to be close enough to get supplies and entertainment but be rural enough to not have to deal with the city bullshit. I love it here. I’m in southeastern Kentucky. Lived in a few states including florida. I’d have to say florida is nice but I always love coming home. Kentucky will always be home.
View Quote

Yes, you are correct.

And a little known fact- the state bird of Ohio is incest.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of the state isn't that much different than most other rural or semi-rural places.  There are some drugs and theft like most other places.  There are some liberal cities and towns, but the majority is relatively conservative.  Some places do the thing where you are an outsider unless your family has been there for a hundred years or whatever.  Neighbors who move away from town to escape noise and civilization hate their neighbors who play loud music, have incessantly barking dogs, or ride loud dirt bikes.  The taxes are different, and I think slightly higher than TN, but the states are relatively similar.  You could go to MO or TN and find a very similar lifestyle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I have considered moving to the area around Bowling Green, I've visited a bunch of times and I've always enjoyed the area.  I am also aware living in an area is likely different than visiting..
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
We bought our place in 2014, about 90 miles East of Lexington/Versailles. 199 acres (mountains forest), 80 year old farmhouse, plus several outbuildings. $159K.

I love the location, it’s bittersweet because my marriage ended after 20 years. But my kids love it and I can hunt and fish all I want.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
All I know is bad weather and Paducah are synonymous. Every time I’ve ever been through there, they just had a storm. And it’s constantly mentioned on the Weather Channel.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]
My mom lives in Kentucky. She was a huge fan of the States covid lock downs, mask mandates, and arresting of people going to church.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Really popular with retired female cops & firefighters
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#22]
You’ll never find a more left leaning group of hicks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's not the promised land or even close but it is better than most states.  For example there is a strong chance a bunch of Republicans here will vote for our Democrat tyrant Governor who pushed locked downs and mask mandate.  He was almost as bad as Whitmer, just a bit let crazy.  But if you plan is to be rural and left alone then stuff like that doesn't matter much.

The state is various types of landscapes and cultures.  How remote do you want to be?  Do you need a city nearby to work in, do you work remote, or are you retired?  Do you like mountains, foothills, rolling hills, or flat lands as we have all of them.  Each has a different type of economy and culture.  Do you like lakes and/or fishing?  There is still plenty of rural areas near lakes here.  Even on the big lakes you can hear people shooting on their own property.  

There is an archived thread on where to move to in Kentucky that does a pretty good job explaining the various areas.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Where-to-move-to-in-Kentucky-/27-656511/

View Quote

Thanks for the link, @SWIRE. Yeah the Repubs here in MI have no spine and thanks to them letting the dems redistrict the state, we now have what will probably be a permanent dem majority...after 50 years of red rule in the state house and senate. I really need to be rural for it to be viable and the potential work I'm pursuing would be in Lexington, so anything recommended around there would be good. I like rolling hills, as that's what best represents my current land. I'm from MI, so of course lakes would be nice if possible. Thanks everyone for the responses so far.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm in Lex getting ready to commute home as I type this.  Lex is a bit liberal but a great place to work and visit if you're a foodie.  64/75 provide an easy commute in all directions.  You get the best of all worlds IMO.  I've been around and personally I think this is the best place to be.

How rural do you want?  How far are you willing to drive?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, KY is a awesome place for outdoor activities. Their is a place called Saddleback East in Trimble co that is dirt bike only, single track. It requires a membership, but can be let in as a guest a few times to see if you would want to join. Plenty of off road parks throughout the state also, but they are mostly SXS places. I love the central part of the state, but would live in almost any part of the state except Louisville or Lexington. People in the rural areas have been the nicest of any place I have ever visited.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've never been to WV i see
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#28]
We live about 45 miles East of Lexington, the closest large towns have pretty much everything we need and are less than 20 minutes away. 30 acres with a 3 bedroom house was $57K a few years ago. Now, closer to $70K.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:11:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Boyd Crowder welcomes you
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, you are correct.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all the inbreeding shit is a lie. As for the meth and drugs that shit is everywhere. Especially in southern Ohio. Kentucky is wide open if you get out of the towns. Key is to be close enough to get supplies and entertainment but be rural enough to not have to deal with the city bullshit. I love it here. I'm in southeastern Kentucky. Lived in a few states including florida. I'd have to say florida is nice but I always love coming home. Kentucky will always be home.

Yes, you are correct.

Are we really going to deny that KY has blue people from inbreeding?  I mean, its in pretty reputable journal articles .

KY appears to be tied for the highest incest rate  in the country with a few other states.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Sitting in the office 100 miles east of lexington. Good place in my opinion.  There is land outside of lexington but not cheap.  Rolling hills and a nice area.  Just dont fall into the whiskey trap.  Guys i work with feel its a requirement to become a whiskey alcoholic.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I live in Berea/Richmond area.about 30mins south of Lexington. Been here since 2019. Never see the drug problems people talk about. Saw them all the time in Cali and Wa. where I used to live. Kentucky is Americas best kept secret
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#33]
And the governors a sissy man.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Pretty country, nice well kept small towns, Lexington has everything you need in a city but not too big. Very gun friendly, good hiking, kayaking, outdoor rec, etc.  low cost of living.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I live in Berea/Richmond area.about 30mins south of Lexington. Been here since 2019. Never see the drug problems people talk about. Saw them all the time in Cali and Wa. where I used to live. Kentucky is Americas best kept secret
View Quote

A lot of meth use where I live.  Thing is I lived outside of Denver and the drug use was in a lot of ways probably worse there than here.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are we really going to deny that KY has blue people from inbreeding?  I mean, its in pretty reputable journal articles .

KY appears to be tied for the highest incest rate  in the country with a few other states.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all the inbreeding shit is a lie. As for the meth and drugs that shit is everywhere. Especially in southern Ohio. Kentucky is wide open if you get out of the towns. Key is to be close enough to get supplies and entertainment but be rural enough to not have to deal with the city bullshit. I love it here. I'm in southeastern Kentucky. Lived in a few states including florida. I'd have to say florida is nice but I always love coming home. Kentucky will always be home.

Yes, you are correct.

Your link shows Kentucky at 0.3% vs. Ohio at 0.2%.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#37]
We’re full.  Keep looking at other states.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you are correct.

Sexual relations or cohabitation between first cousins is legal in Ohio. Not in Kentucky.

Wiki

Just sayin

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm in Lex getting ready to commute home as I type this.  Lex is a bit liberal but a great place to work and visit if you're a foodie.  64/75 provide an easy commute in all directions.  You get the best of all worlds IMO.  I've been around and personally I think this is the best place to be.

How rural do you want?  How far are you willing to drive?
View Quote

@Augustine I'd do a 30 min commute if the area was compelling enough. I could be as rural as possible, but realistically, my wife is going to want to have someplace with conveniences somewhat nearby. For reference, we're about 20-25 mins from what I'd consider a Lexington sized city right now and I wouldn't want to be any closer. I'd prefer a lot with minimum 5 acres.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
And the governors a sissy man.
View Quote

My governor's a commie witch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I live in KY now, in between Louisville and Frankfort. Wife's from Lexington. It's all right, but I'll always miss Georgia.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I love it,  lived here 10 years-  south central KY is nice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A lot of the state isn't that much different than most other rural or semi-rural places.  There are some drugs and theft like most other places.  There are some liberal cities and towns, but the majority is relatively conservative.  Some places do the thing where you are an outsider unless your family has been there for a hundred years or whatever.  Neighbors who move away from town to escape noise and civilization hate their neighbors who play loud music, have incessantly barking dogs, or ride loud dirt bikes.  The taxes are different, and I think slightly higher than TN, but the states are relatively similar.  You could go to MO or TN and find a very similar lifestyle.
View Quote

I can attest to that. My dad lived in the same house for 50 years and was still seen as an outsider. My brother and I grew up there and moved away but are considered locals who "come home" whenever we go back.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#44]
KY/Barkley  lakes FTW!

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Its a shithole stay out.  

Quoted:
View Quote

I can go back to pre-statehood through at least 8 families through my mom and dad and they're not even intertwined.  Grandfather's farm was a Revolutionary War land charter.    
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a rural place in Mt Vernon.  Its as close as I can get to being in the middle of nowhere. I havent built there yet. Its beautiful and the town is a forgotten small town passed by the big highway.
I found a few Arcomers near me and see more of you in this thread. Once you get out you notice the dirt bag types.
Lots of people mudding and trespassing. I have some people down the road from me living in sheds.

I like south of Lexington and East all the way to WVA VA line.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Kentucky has more shoreline than Florida. More running water than any state with the exception of Alaska.

Just like any city, there are areas to stay away from but most areas are really nice.  I live in Georgetown, home of a large
Toyota Manufacturing plant so housing is especially tough to find but new houses and subdivisions keep popping up.
I work at our Frankfort KY warehouse and we're minutes from Buffalo Trace.  

There is a lot to do in KY.  We're also centrally located to other big cities.  Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville and one of my favorite,
the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area of TN.

I've lived in a lot of states and this is my favorite.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#48]
You'll never leave Harlan alive
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Kentucky has more shoreline than Florida. More running water than any state with the exception of Alaska.

Just like any city, there are areas to stay away from but most areas are really nice.  I live in Georgetown, home of a large
Toyota Manufacturing plant so housing is especially tough to find but new houses and subdivisions keep popping up.
I work at our Frankfort KY warehouse and we're minutes from Buffalo Trace.  

There is a lot to do in KY.  We're also centrally located to other big cities.  Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville and one of my favorite,
the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge area of TN.

I've lived in a lot of states and this is my favorite.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
View Quote

@loisfromcenterfire thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have a rural place in Mt Vernon.  Its as close as I can get to being in the middle of nowhere. I havent built there yet. Its beautiful and the town is a forgotten small town passed by the big highway.
I found a few Arcomers near me and see more of you in this thread. Once you get out you notice the dirt bag types.
Lots of people mudding and trespassing. I have some people down the road from me living in sheds.

I like south of Lexington and East all the way to WVA VA line.
View Quote

Stanford, Lincoln Co here Tango
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top