Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:15:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Their jelly tastes funny, but it goes down smooth.
View Quote

I’ve always found it a bit bland.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not reading all 3 pages.  Here is my take.

I'm 36 and I've lived here my whole life safe for 4 years in the air force.  Born and raised in lexington and 7 years ago my wife and I escaped 45 minutes northeast outside of georgetown.  

Lexington is woke as can be.  The last mayor was a gay dude who ganked the large confederate statue out of the center of downtown overnight to avoid protesting about it.  If there is a green space downtown, they put some bullshit new age sculpture on it.  Homeless are on every exit corner of the "bypass" road that runs around town.  It wasn't always that way but it has been since I came back in 2012.  

Real estate is horseshit and you can't afford rural land within Lexington/Fayette county.  I'm stuck within commuting distance of Lexington for work or I'd be long gone from this area.  Rural land in a 1 hour+ radius from Liberal Promised Land is often cleared for goddamn horses and expensive as all hell.  20K an acre kind of crap.  The rich liberals are in the process of infesting the nicest rural areas south/southwest of lex.  You can tell by the virtue signaling signs at their road gates.  If you want a cheap homestead for privacy and recreation you will likely be further from lex than you can drive to work there everyday.  

Be better than me and avoid central KY like the plague.  Its a bourbon soaked turd for people who just want freedom.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I live about 45 mins north of Lexington in Robertson Co. and love it. I wasn't born or raised here but it feels like home. It's beautiful and the people are great  
I live on a small farm in a very rural and very conservative area and wouldn't change it for any amount of money.  I literally shoot off my porch all the time and have a private range out my front and back doors going out to 800 yards. I can shoot further but it's just more convenient.  All my neighbors shoot so there is always gun fire around.
I live 30 mins away from Walmarts or a couple Krogers in 3 directions which isn't too bad. Most people have to drive at least 30 minutes for jobs though.
I would recommend living outside of Lex and the further from it the better. As with any city it has some good and some bad places.
Land was relatively cheap in my area until COVID. Now Agencies are buying large farms and breaking them up in to smaller parcels. Land that was 1500-3000 an acre is going up to 5k or more. Some deals are still there though but mostly larger parcels.
Several people are moving here from other states and houses are being built left and right. It's actually sad watching old tobacco farms being bought and broken up.
Land around the Lex area and up to Paris is very beautiful and very expensive. It's all nice Horse farms.  Good luck.
View Quote

Derelict tobacco barns mostly became roofless or a pile of rotten oak after crazy wind we had in the fall.  Ironically, yuppy horse farms saving them for horse barns will be the only reason our kids even know what they are.  

I have never heard of robertson co.  But my northern ky experience is just 75 to 275 whenever I sadly have to venture into cincinnati (not often).  I wish I could deal with moving further in that direction but most of my work ends up on the south side of lexington and it already takes me 45-50 minutes to get like 36 miles up to the edge of scott co near cynthiana.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:59:58 AM EDT
[#4]
My folks live in Danville. It’s a very nice place with plenty of good, down to earth people.
My dad’s farm:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I like Kentucky, I haven't lived anywhere else but I think I'll stay here. See alot of people close by  I probably live 5-30 minutes from some. I live in Central Ky. Where I am, you've got the start of the mountains one way, and the other way starts the rolling farmlands, headed towards Lexington.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm 36 and I've lived here my whole life safe for 4 years in the air force.  Born and raised in lexington and 7 years ago my wife and I escaped 45 minutes northeast outside of georgetown.  

Lexington is woke as can be.  The last mayor was a gay dude who ganked the large confederate statue out of the center of downtown overnight to avoid protesting about it.  If there is a green space downtown, they put some bullshit new age sculpture on it.  Homeless are on every exit corner of the "bypass" road that runs around town.  It wasn't always that way but it has been since I came back in 2012.  

Real estate is horseshit and you can't afford rural land within Lexington/Fayette county.  I'm stuck within commuting distance of Lexington for work or I'd be long gone from this area.  Rural land in a 1 hour+ radius from Liberal Promised Land is often cleared for goddamn horses and expensive as all hell.  20K an acre kind of crap.  The rich liberals are in the process of infesting the nicest rural areas south/southwest of lex.  You can tell by the virtue signaling signs at their road gates.  If you want a cheap homestead for privacy and recreation you will likely be further from lex than you can drive to work there everyday.  

Be better than me and avoid central KY like the plague.  Its a bourbon soaked turd for people who just want freedom.
View Quote

Damn you just a bit bitter?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m from lex. Personally I like it but it’s all I know. I moved out to a farm in rural ky about 20 years ago but still go to lex most days for work. Lex and surrounding counties are a pain to own property in cause of taxes/building codes. But in general I like lt, especially since I don’t have to live there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And the governors a sissy man.
View Quote

He’s a little rich punk that behind closed doors enjoys throwing the N word around and a penis…allegedly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some good info here. Cheaper land over in Lewis County where Thomas Massie lives. The pattern of living there is reversed from here in NKY. We live on cleared ridge tops and the “hollers” are wooded. In Lewis County the hills are too steep to build on but the hollers are wide and flat, so that’s where they clear and build.
View Quote

Lewis co resident here too..
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

one more vote to make andy find a new job.

If the OP ends up moving to bluegrass country, I'll get him a team membership.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:46:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Kentucky is great, haven’t been somewhere that made me want to move yet.

I’ve lived in the big scary Louisville urban services district my whole life, but can be at my parents farm in an hour to do whatever we want.

Quoted:

He’s a little rich punk that behind closed doors enjoys throwing the N word around and a penis…allegedly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea we need more child rapist pardons from our governor no more sissy man stuff! If any of the N word stuff was remotely true it would be all over Daniel Cameron attack ads.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
In the town where I lived (Beattyville), the county Sheriff got busted for running a giant pot farm.
I knew tons of people who did pills and meth and there was a dog fighting breeder/trainer that lived up the road from me.
I once had a package (used computer monitor) get delivered to my neighbor instead of my house, and they sold it for drugs.

Although, the gas station where I worked (Shell on HWY 52 + 11) had the best[/i] fried chicken and jojo potatoes I've ever had in my life.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I left Colorado 4 years ago and moved to Oldham County (outside Louisville). I absolutely love it.

Sorry, don't know anything about Lexington or surrounding areas.

Don't forget about Tennessee. Very beautiful.
View Quote
@hoodyhoo21 what's up neighbor! Moved to just outside of LaGrange last August.

In my opinion KY has been a great place to live so far, and I only anticipate it getting better. I've lived in PA, OH, FL, TX, CO, and now KY over my life. We have liked KY the best so far for various reason, and have zero plans to ever leave.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’ve lived in the big scary Louisville urban services district my whole life, but can be at my parents farm in an hour to do whatever we want.

Yea we need more child rapist pardons from our governor no more sissy man stuff! If any of the N word stuff was remotely true it would be all over Daniel Cameron attack ads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That post was satire (allegedly)
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I live in Berea/Richmond area.about 30mins south of Lexington. Been here since 2019. Never see the drug problems people talk about. Saw them all the time in Cali and Wa. where I used to live. Kentucky is Americas best kept secret
View Quote

its pretty bad in that area, surprised you have not come across it.

dated a girl for a few years that lived in Richmond, the country part of it out toward Waco/Irvine.
She kept one of her horses out there and I would go with her in the evening when she would feed because the people in the trailer beside where her horse was boarded were cooking meth.
So I was strapped standing guard while she fed.

Berea area is mostly just stoners though.

for OP

Dont live in lexington or louisville. If you need to be close to lexington for work look at somewhere in Richmond, Winchester, or mount sterling (30ish minute drive from lex outskirts)
If you dont need to be close to any of those places then either get a place further south or further east.

Your not really going to be close to grocery stores or any kind of shopping but thats the price you pay to get away from people.

I have 400 acre's in the far eastern part of the state, we own an entire "holler".
Its 30 minutes to get to the closest grocery store, if we lose power its out for at least a few days, I kill copperheads and the occasional rattlesnake on the front porch and in the yard.

But I dont have neighbors, I can shoot anytime, walk out back and hunt whenever I want.

great for deer/turkey/squirrel hunting, I have my own personal 300 yard x 100 yard range with the mountains as a back stop.
wouldnt trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Lived in Louisville for 3 years (2020-2023). Lexington is great. Beautiful area especially outside of the city. Sugar Creek Range is just south of there and phenomenal. The owners are great people.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Louisville to Lexington is culturally Midwestern, he start to get in the southern culture at etown headed south Bowling Green.

We have an amazing gun culture, ie Vengarr’s memorial shoot is held privately at knob Creek after hours on July 15.

Around Lexington I personally would Land in Bardstown. I love that place…. Plus…

Kentucky gun company

No NFA laws, none.

I live in Glasgow, hit me up. I would love to take care of you on the move. I have some great realtors as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Lexington isn't too bad. Crime is increasing at an alarming weight. Latinos are becoming more and more populated. Winchester is a nice smaller town about 15 min from Lex. Cost of living is going 2 be cheaper there with less crime and diversity. It's a lot like anywhere else it has its good parts and bad parts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What do you do for a living or better yet does it matter if you change career paths? How far away do you want to be from Lexington? East of Lexington is Cynthiana and potentially Paris for a rural areas and relatively cheaper compared to Lex-Georgetown area. about 20-30 minutes away from Lexington.

You can go further South East to Winchester which will have some rural areas outside and is a hub for some of the other rural areas further southeast and still relatively close to Lexington.

I'm originally from Breathitt county and moved to Georgetown for work. Nothing back home, still had a Walmart thats not even a supercenter, just became a wet county not long ago, etc if that gives you an idea when you start your search.

View Quote

I'm from Breathitt also still live here. I would avoid it though
Anything south of 64 and west of 75 I would stay away from. Lots of poverty, shitty healthcare, drugs, etc.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Louisville to Lexington is culturally Midwestern, he start to get in the southern culture at etown headed south Bowling Green.

We have an amazing gun culture, ie Vengarr’s memorial shoot is held privately at knob Creek after hours on July 15.

Around Lexington I personally would Land in Bardstown. I love that place…. Plus…

Kentucky gun company

No NFA laws, none.

I live in Glasgow, hit me up. I would love to take care of you on the move. I have some great realtors as well.
View Quote

@PreachermanMATT thanks man, I'll take you up on that if this works out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's a great state to move to.
View Quote

I think this pretty much sums it up as someone who grew up in KY and seems to be a recurring theme in this thread.  It's a great place to move to, but it was a horrible place to grow up in my experience.  Half or more of my graduating class are dead or in prison - and I mean that literally, no exaggeration.  I'm only 40 btw.  Drugs hit the rural areas of KY like the black plague.  I'm so thankful I got the hell out of there cause I'm sure I'd have been right there with my buddies in the ground.  I've watched that place ruin so many people including family members.  That said, I come from multiple generations of farmers and I was the first firstborn son to leave home and go work for someone else and not take on farming.  

I can see why it'd be a great place to move to.  It's beautiful there.  I grew up near Lake Cumberland and it's just gorgeous country and you get all the seasons without being too cold or too hot on the extremes.  Cost of living isn't terrible either.  But as an average kid in the rural areas, it was a complete shitshow growing up there and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.  There's so much poverty and backwards borderline retarded people there (i know that's anywhere, but in my experience it was much more prevalent there).  

I wish you luck OP.  You'll likely love it as someone moving to the state.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Justified was a documentary about KY.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Oof, well best barbecue is here.   But.. its getting super full.  Everyone from NE, California, Texas, and Florida are moving here already.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#24]
It wasn't long ago when you could get land anywhere around the state for 3k an acre.  There is legit nothing to be had in most areas now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Main problem being, everyone wants commute distance to Nashville, so all the overflow is going to the Hopkinsville and Bowling Green areas
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think this pretty much sums it up as someone who grew up in KY and seems to be a recurring theme in this thread.  It's a great place to move to, but it was a horrible place to grow up in my experience.  Half or more of my graduating class are dead or in prison - and I mean that literally, no exaggeration.  I'm only 40 btw.  Drugs hit the rural areas of KY like the black plague.  I'm so thankful I got the hell out of there cause I'm sure I'd have been right there with my buddies in the ground.  I've watched that place ruin so many people including family members.  That said, I come from multiple generations of farmers and I was the first firstborn son to leave home and go work for someone else and not take on farming.  

I can see why it'd be a great place to move to.  It's beautiful there.  I grew up near Lake Cumberland and it's just gorgeous country and you get all the seasons without being too cold or too hot on the extremes.  Cost of living isn't terrible either.  But as an average kid in the rural areas, it was a complete shitshow growing up there and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone.  There's so much poverty and backwards borderline retarded people there (i know that's anywhere, but in my experience it was much more prevalent there).  

View Quote

100% understand where you are coming from.  I live just outside of Somerset and my neighbors are such a fuck up of a family that I could film a reality show that would put Tiger King to shame.  It is very generational and and very few of them can break that cycle.  One of the keys to living here is to have an income above normal for around here and not dependent on the local economy.   I work from home and none of our business comes from Kentucky and my wife is a nurse and has plenty of work options.  If you grew up poor around here the odds are pretty good you will stay poor and get into the dope.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

100% understand where you are coming from.  I live just outside of Somerset and my neighbors are such a fuck up of a family that I could film a reality show that would put Tiger King to shame.  It is very generational and and very few of them can break that cycle.  One of the keys to living here is to have an income above normal for around here and not dependent on the local economy.   I work from home and none of our business comes from Kentucky and my wife is a nurse and has plenty of work options.  If you grew up poor around here the odds are pretty good you will stay poor and get into the dope.
View Quote

This is all true though
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:07:15 PM EDT
[#28]
If I had to move I'd more than likely move to the Cumberland area of Kentucky. Been through that area many a time. Really nice landscape/geography. Plenty of fishing, hiking/camping, hunting and shooting grounds
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#29]
We no longer have a single across the course full 600 yard high power range in the state running regular events.  That's a real disappointment, and should probably keep you away.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#30]
If you come to KY, the Lake Cumberland area towards Bowling Green is the ideal place.

Louisville is a liberal shit den that has been damaged by the 2020 COVID restrictions and the riots. The homeless population is insane.

Lex is a typical Marxist college town with libs. Homelessness is an issue and it’s spreading right into Richmond and Madison county. I can take anyone to a growing homeless camp off exit 90 in Richmond.

Eastern KY is scarred with generational poverty and drug abuse. Coal mining is way scaled back and towns like Harlan are a shadow of their former selves.

Somerset to BG is my choice. Good farmland, small towns, away from the cities. WKY might be good but I don’t know much about far western KY
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I've lived in several areas of the state. Most of it sucks.

Etown/Radcliff is horrible. Traffic is insane compared to the size. Residents are either annoying hillbilly or ghetto trash. Very few in between. Army retirees who already have a steady income bring the wages down. It's not their fault, but the local businesses exploit it and pay barely above minimum wage (or did 10 years ago) I'd only live there again if I worked from home and had property out in the county.

Louisville sucks for obvious reasons. I lived there too.

Lexington thinks they are bigger and better than what they are. Very liberal. Traffic sucks during peak hours. Newtown Pike is a parking lot some days.

Richmond is hit or miss. Some days its really cool, some days I wonder how those motherfuckers even learned how to tie their shoes.

London is always on the news for various crimes. I've always had good experiences there.

Pikeville isn't too bad if you don't mind isolation and drugs. They have a Walmart and Rural King. Everything a redneck needs. Except good phone or internet.

The counties surrounding Jefferson aren't bad, just getting expensive. Dad sold his house in Bullitt County 2 years ago for $400k. He had maybe $100k into it. Dude that bought it didn't even haggle.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

dated a girl for a few years that lived in Richmond, the country part of it out toward Waco/Irvine.
She kept one of her horses out there and I would go with her in the evening when she would feed because the people in the trailer beside where her horse was boarded were cooking meth.

for OP

Dont live in lexington or louisville. If you need to be close to lexington for work look at somewhere in Richmond, Winchester, or mount sterling (30ish minute drive from lex outskirts)
If you dont need to be close to any of those places then either get a place further south or further east.

Your not really going to be close to grocery stores or any kind of shopping but thats the price you pay to get away from people.

I have 400 acre's in the far eastern part of the state, we own an entire "holler".
Its 30 minutes to get to the closest grocery store, if we lose power its out for at least a few days, I kill copperheads and the occasional rattlesnake on the front porch and in the yard.

But I dont have neighbors, I can shoot anytime, walk out back and hunt whenever I want.

great for deer/turkey/squirrel hunting, I have my own personal 300 yard x 100 yard range with the mountains as a back stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in Berea/Richmond area.about 30mins south of Lexington. Been here since 2019. Never see the drug problems people talk about. Saw them all the time in Cali and Wa. where I used to live. Kentucky is Americas best kept secret

for OP

Any large city is going to be a shit show, cities draw libtards like magnets, pick a rural area / small town .
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've lived in several areas of the state. Most of it sucks.

Etown/Radcliff is horrible. Traffic is insane compared to the size. Residents are either annoying hillbilly or ghetto trash. Very few in between. Army retirees who already have a steady income bring the wages down. It's not their fault, but the local businesses exploit it and pay barely above minimum wage (or did 10 years ago) I'd only live there again if I worked from home and had property out in the county.

Louisville sucks for obvious reasons. I lived there too.

Lexington thinks they are bigger and better than what they are. Very liberal. Traffic sucks during peak hours. Newtown Pike is a parking lot some days.

Richmond is hit or miss. Some days its really cool, some days I wonder how those motherfuckers even learned how to tie their shoes.

London is always on the news for various crimes. I've always had good experiences there.

Pikeville isn't too bad if you don't mind isolation and drugs. They have a Walmart and Rural King. Everything a redneck needs. Except good phone or internet.

The counties surrounding Jefferson aren't bad, just getting expensive. Dad sold his house in Bullitt County 2 years ago for $400k. He had maybe $100k into it. Dude that bought it didn't even haggle.

View Quote

Damn, son. Sounds like we need to get you out of there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You’ll never find a more left leaning group of hicks.
View Quote

Is that why 4 of 5 top elective offices are Republican? Or the cause of the Republican supermajority in their legislature? Or the cause of Kentucky automatically being called for the Republican presidential candidate within 10 minutes of the polls closing and usually by 20 or more points? Anyone that says Kentuckians are left leaning hicks is a special breed of stupid.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Stanford, Lincoln Co here Tango
View Quote

I grew up there.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up right next door to Somerset in RC.  It’s a hell right here on earth, LOL.  RC I mean, not Somerset.  Somerset has grown tremendously.  Used to be the closest Walmart for us. Kinda crazy how much that area has exploded.  Back then closest place to buy alcohol legally was Tennessee but we’d just hit the bootlegger in Adair county
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I grew up right next door to Somerset in RC.  It’s a hell right here on earth, LOL.  RC I mean, not Somerset.  Somerset has grown tremendously.  Used to be the closest Walmart for us. Kinda crazy how much that area has exploded.  Back then closest place to buy alcohol legally was Tennessee but we’d just hit the bootlegger in Adair county
View Quote

RC is interesting and not in a good way. One of the fuckheads over there shot a goat on lake cumberland earlier this year that people came to see and interact with.  He was a legit tourist attraction.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
The make jelly in KY
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Damn, son. Sounds like we need to get you out of there.
View Quote

I would if I could.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

RC is interesting and not in a good way. One of the fuckheads over there shot a goat on lake cumberland earlier this year that people came to see and interact with.  He was a legit tourist attraction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What in the world?  That sounds like something that’d be a thing there.  Wow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:11:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Kentucky Woman (Live At The Greek Theatre, Los Angeles/1972)
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:17:51 AM EDT
[#42]
I would've liked to have seen Kentucky.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How do you feel about OxyContin and meth?  

Inbreeding until you turn blue  is seemly an KY only thing, though likely convenient for KY Wildcats Basketball fans.

Also, they used to have a state motto that amused me:

https://www.edpost.com/hubfs/Imported_Blog_Media/kentucky-resized.jpg

View Quote

Thats just marketing.  If they called them the Kentucky Smurfs everyone would love it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. It ain’t that bad, jeez.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 12:57:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is that why 4 of 5 top elective offices are Republican? Or the cause of the Republican supermajority in their legislature? Or the cause of Kentucky automatically being called for the Republican presidential candidate within 10 minutes of the polls closing and usually by 20 or more points? Anyone that says Kentuckians are left leaning hicks is a special breed of stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You’ll never find a more left leaning group of hicks.

Agreed.

The liberals in KY just huddle around the Lexington and Louisville areas. Hell, there are counties where Democrats don’t even bother to campaign, or even run for stuff.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 1:07:59 AM EDT
[#46]
It's great

I've spent almost my whole life in the Mountain West and Southern Arizona, but have next to no experience further East to compare against.

People are friendly, weather is mild, crime is usually very very local, housing is relatively cheap, plenty of outdoors stuff to keep me busy, and there are jobs to be had.

I even live in Louisville and have lived downtown.  It's not bad at all compared to other cities.  I think it gets a bad rap because at a million people, it's the biggest city in the state by a WIDE margin and people compare it against smaller towns.  If you compare it to Bowling Green or Richmond it may as well be Gotham City, but if you have been to Dallas or Phoenix you'll pass all the way through Louisville and wonder when you get to the city.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's great

I've spent almost my whole life in the Mountain West and Southern Arizona, but have next to no experience further East to compare against.

People are friendly, weather is mild, crime is usually very very local, housing is relatively cheap, plenty of outdoors stuff to keep me busy, and there are jobs to be had.

I even live in Louisville and have lived downtown.  It's not bad at all compared to other cities.  I think it gets a bad rap because at a million people, it's the biggest city in the state by a WIDE margin and people compare it against smaller towns.  If you compare it to Bowling Green or Richmond it may as well be Gotham City, but if you have been to Dallas or Phoenix you'll pass all the way through Louisville and wonder when you get to the city.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing this, appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some good info here. Cheaper land over in Lewis County where Thomas Massie lives. The pattern of living there is reversed from here in NKY. We live on cleared ridge tops and the "hollers" are wooded. In Lewis County the hills are too steep to build on but the hollers are wide and flat, so that's where they clear and build.

Are you guys from there originally? My Mom's people are from there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Agreed.

The liberals in KY just huddle around the Lexington and Louisville areas. Hell, there are counties where Democrats don’t even bother to campaign, or even run for stuff.
View Quote

Around here the local elections are decided in the primaries and there usually even isn't a Democrat running.  On State wide elections the Dems throw up a few signs here and there but that is about it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#50]
It looks like a cheaper, less humid place to retire to from south Alabama.  I do like the idea of being closer to mountains.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top