Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Rib-Eye for first choice, Filet Mignon better but higher $$.  Kansas City/New York Strip if they don't have the others.  Top Sirloin next choice.

Cook about 6 - 7 minutes on a side, Medium heat, don't overcook!  Cook Medium/Medium Rare, the bitch should moo when you pull it off.

switch to a Weber charcoal for future cookouts!
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1. Porterhouse
2. Cowboy Ribeye
3. T-Bone
4. NY Strip
5. Filet Mignon

My personal prefererence. YMMV

Prime grade if you can get it.  Look for well marbled meat (fat streaks throughout)

We usually pick #4.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
don't get a Flat Iron, those things taste like shit
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:33:49 AM EDT
[#4]
NY Strip is what all the cool people eat. Get some McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning and you are good to go.

Had one at a fancy restaurant a while back with a bone attached. It...........was.............AWESOME.

Had the flavor of a fatty piece of meat without the grease. I understand and appreciate marbling but don't care for excessive grease. I am always having trouble finding the perfect mix of lean and flavor.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, strip is my fav. I'm not a fan of ribeye, I don't like fat/marbling.

Not sure if serious

Speed

Yes, serious. I don't care for fat on my steak, I know the strip has a line, but its easily removed. Ribeye has more than I care for, plus the heavy marbeling isn't too great to me. I love a NY Strip and a filet. I like beans in my chili too. Fuck I'm a rebel

ETA. I understand you now. The marbeling in a strip is ok to me. The density and thickness in the ribeye is not to my liking. I know there is marbeling in both, it just seems like the ribeye is less of a marbel, and more like fat found on the outside.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#6]
If you like Ribeye, Eye of Chuck is good too.   It usually has more fat chunks than ribeye, tho.    So you have to be choosy.

It used to be quite a bit cheaper, but it's steadily crept up in price.   It's every bit as tasty and usually as tender.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
My go to for grilling is typically porterhouse on the charcoal grill with a hickory plank in it, only seasoned with salt and ground pepper. cook time usually on my charcoal with nice white coals is about 5 min each side
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look for a well marbled rib-eye.

Salt and pepper should be all you need.

This.  I just bought some pretty decent ones at Sam's for $7.99/lb.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:37:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally, strip is my fav. I'm not a fan of ribeye, I don't like fat/marbling.

Not sure if serious
Speed

Yes, serious. I don't care for fat on my steak, I know the strip has a line, but its easily removed. Ribeye has more than I care for, plus the heavy marbeling isn't too great to me. I love a NY Strip and a filet. I like beans in my chili too. Fuck I'm a rebel

I certainly appreciate different cuts of steak for different reasons, but marbling itself is what gives flavor and texture to a steak and drives the price up.

By saying you don't like "marbling" you are saying you like cheap, tough steak

Speed

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sprouts (formerly sun harvest) usually has good prices/quality on meat, too.   But 8 bucks a pound for good ribeyes seems pretty damn good to me.

What city?
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]
RIB-EYE!

Grilled

or Cast iron

Step 1
Take the steak out of the fridge about an hour before cooking and let it come to room temperature. If you have a cookie rack, lay it on that so it doesn't sit in its own juices.

Step 2
Place a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or till it's basically smoking.*

Step 3
Thoroughly dry the steak with paper towels. Generously salt it on all sides. Add some pepper.

Step 4
Lay the steak in the pan and cook it, untouched, for about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 5 more minutes for rare to medium-rare. You may also want to prop the steak on its side to sear the fat.

Step 5
Remove the steak from the pan, place on the cookie rack, and let rest for 5 minutes.

Step 6
Serve with a drizzle of good extra-virgin olive oil, if you're feeling Italian.

* If you have a vent over your stove, use it. If not, open your windows and front door, turn on a fan, and remove the batteries from your smoke detector. Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Same here!  Been sick for four days, but I'll be damned if a steak won't make it all better.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if serious

Speed

I certainly appreciate different cuts of steak for different reasons, but marbling itself is what gives flavor and texture to a steak and drives the price up.

http://www.buedelmeatup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/USDA-Grading-Scale.jpg

Speed

I gotcha now. See my ETA above. I would say prime slightly abundant or choice moderate.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rib eye is always the correct answer. Always.

For $15...you can probably get a pound of Prime and have it melt in your mouth...

Or a really big Choice and be happy, too.

ETA: Costco has amazingly good prime cuts and usually cut VERY thick.

Ribeye is my go-to cut as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Our local grocer has been bringing in Tri-Tip cuts recently.
The butcher has been cutting them in to 1 1/2"X 2 1/2" strips.
Rub some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on them and grill them.

Never had Tri-Tip until about a month ago, now eat it once a week.

Delicious cut of meat.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure if serious

Speed

http://www.buedelmeatup.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/USDA-Grading-Scale.jpg

Speed

I gotcha now. See my ETA above. I would say prime slightly abundant or choice moderate.

No biggie.

That super high end Kobe beef stuff has a high percentage of thin marbling spaced evenly throughout the meat...that's what gives it the melt in your mouth texture and taste

Speed

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  If the ribeyes don't look great, get a good looking strip steak.  

I don't believe people who dislike well marbled steaks actually care for the taste of beef.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

NY Strip is what all the cool people eat. Get some McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning and you are good to go.

Had one at a fancy restaurant a while back with a bone attached. It...........was.............AWESOME.

Had the flavor of a fatty piece of meat without the grease. I understand and appreciate marbling but don't care for excessive grease. I am always having trouble finding the perfect mix of lean and flavor.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#19]
clip the horns, wipe the ass.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every man needs to watch this video....

Steakhouse Cuts with a total hottie

This counts for 2 credit hours towards your Man Card continuing education.

Dat New York strip...
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#21]
So if I go to my store and don't find any rib eye or porterhouse with good marbling should I get one anyway or go for Somethig else?

Steak will be cooked probably later in the week. Tomorrow I go to my parents house for lamb.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Country fried filet mignon.  Season with seasoning salt, onion powder, liquid smoke and let set for few minutes.  Dust in flour, dip in egg & buttermilk mixture, flour again.  Fry 4-5 minutes per side in peanut oil @ med-high heat medium rare.   Serve with braised brussel sprouts and yellow cherry tomatoes for the win.

I fry my steaks like a pork chop, usually by flouring them once.  ALWAYS juicy and tender.  Ribeyes, strip, porterhouse and sirloin all benefit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Ribeye!

Or  (bone in ) Strip.

Hard to go wrong with either!

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sprouts (formerly sun harvest) usually has good prices/quality on meat, too.   But 8 bucks a pound for good ribeyes seems pretty damn good to me.

What city?

East side of Houston.  There is a Sams on I10 just inside the beltway.   It's a 20 minute drive for me, I live further to the east.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Rule #1 Never buy meat FROZEN!  Always fresh.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't like that stuff?

I was, for years, the biggest proponent of sea salt and cracked pepper ONLY on steaks. I was farting around with a cheap cut one day and threw some on and thought it was excellent! Had that steakhouse grill taste.

But, that is just my .02.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#27]
T-bones, porterhouse, rib eye, sirloin--they're all good.  Grill to med rare and have at it.

Ram
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Filet Mignons are all I buy.

Salt, hefty amt of fresh cracked pepper.
Heat cast iron skillet and sear first side for a few minutes.
Flip and throw in a preheated oven.
Let rest under loose foil for another 5 or 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Porterhouse/t-bone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#30]
for my money, the ribeye is the best chunk of cow.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
T-bone

The king of steaks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Our local grocer has been bringing in Tri-Tip cuts recently.
The butcher has been cutting them in to 1 1/2"X 2 1/2" strips.
Rub some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on them and grill them.

Never had Tri-Tip until about a month ago, now eat it once a week.

Delicious cut of meat.

Your Butcher is doing it wrong, why would he ruin a tri-tip by cutting it into strips?

Being from CA central valley originally, i grew up with tri-tip, and its a good roast for BBQ, but it doesnt beat a good steak like a porter or tbone in any shape or form. just not possible.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
T-bone

This
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#34]
USDA prime ribeye or porterhouse, sear on the biggest and hottest pan you have for 2 min each side, season first with salt and pepper. Oh and let the steak warm up on the counter for an hour before cooking.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Rib-eye is my choice of cut.

My preferred method of preparation is as follows -

1. Full Weber chimney of charcoal.

2. Dump chimney full of coals into grill and arrange so they're only underneath 1/2 of the cooking surface.

3. With the lid off of the grill, flame sear each side of steaks over pile of mega hot coals (when turning do NOT use anything that penetrates the cut, those juices need to stay locked in there) .

4. Once seared, move to side of grill with no coals directly underneath it and cover grill.

5. Approximately 5 min prior to finishing apply salt, pepper, whatever spice you like, etc.

6. Profit!
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Ribeye...

Get your grill as hot as possible... then give it a few minutes more.

Kosher salt and course ground pepper... that's all. Then add more pepper.

These are the times I use, well I only use 5 and 3 min because I use 1" steaks and like them rare. It is from Omaha Steak Company... and I have never found it to be wrong.

I have it taped to the inside of my spice rack door... so everyone can have their steak the way they like it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I really never liked a ribeye. I find that the marbling of a ribeye takes away from the actually taste of the beef when grilled. That's why my favorite steaks are prime rib, porter house. I usually get he porter house because its two steaks in one a Ny strip and a filet. Both of those cuts are not very marbleized with fat. Because of that you need to get a good grade. They are by far the best.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I really never liked a ribeye. I find that the marbling of a ribeye takes away from the actually taste of the beef when grilled. That's why my favorite steaks are prime rib, porter house. I usually get he porter house because its two steaks in one a Ny strip and a filet. Both of those cuts are not very marbleized with fat. Because of that you need to get a good grade. They are by far the best.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Prime Rib and Ribeye steaks are essentially the same thing

I'm kind of taken back by the posters badmouthing "marbling"...I think you guys are saying you don't like cutting around larger sections of fat, thus you prefer strips or such.

I understand that, but that's not what marbling is. Marbling refers to the percentage of fat visible that's mixed in with the meat.

You can have a Ribeye w/ those big veins of fat, but no marbling...making it a cheap piece of meat, and a ribeye where the muscle tissue is well marbled and it still has those large veins of fat. The latter will cost more and taste better.

Speed

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

porterhouse

any other answer is simply wrong

I came here to post this.

He's not going to get a good one with his budget, though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Ribeye, it's the only way to go.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Flatiron.  Sear one side and flip over.  No waste or trouble.  Great taste and quick!
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Yep, well marbled STRIP.  At LEAST 1.25 inches thick, if the steak lacks good marbling, it will be dry, I have some now that are probably 40 percent marbled, and after cooking, they are juicier than an 18 year old virgin.

If you need to marinate it, you bought bad meat, people that need to marinate a good cut, or salt it after cooking, are bad cooks, plain and simple, and yes, I WAS one.

KOSHER SALT, and fresh ground black pepper only, 20 minutes before you are ready to grill.  Remove the steak from the fridge at least an HOUR before grilling, even up to two or three depending on thickness.

HOTTEST grill you can make, on mine a large gas job, it gets up to well over 500 in the winter, and approaches up to 650 in the summer.

In summer, 1.5 minutes, between flips, 6 minutes total, winter, 8 minutes total, 2 minutes between.

AFTER GRILLING, and this is the key, REST the steak, wrapped in foil, and covered top and bottom with a towel, at least 10 minutes, even 20 or so won't hurt.

This allows the inner portion to finish cooking to pink, and more, to allow the trapped juices in the center to work their way back into the exterior areas.

Also, DO NOT USE A FORK to flip the meat, use tongs, DO NOT poke holes in the steak to see if its done.

You may need to adjust your times, based on the heat of your grill, as stated, mine is hot, and this should be considered the MAX times you grill and flip, till you establish how it works on yours.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Get some tube steak, then work for the gravy....
I can't believe nobody said that yet, I'm disappointed in GD

You do realize that all the flavor in beef steak comes from the fat marbling?  

Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like top sirloin the best personally. Not a fan of the gristle associated with the fat in other meats and I like a slightly tougher cut. Salt and pepper is all I ever use and I cook about 8 minutes on each side on my gas grill in the 350-400 range. Gives a nice medium to medium-rare.

+1 although I use my BGE at 700F for a couple of minutes each side.  Key is bringing the steak to room temperature before grilling.  Also, kosher salt 45 mins before grilling to pull surface moisture out for a better crust.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Ribeye.  But to be honest I've been buying Chuckeye to save some money, and it's a dang good steak.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh, when you look at Speeds meat chart, think the first two pictures, MINIMUM.

Our local grocery store has full strip primals for 3.99 to 4.99 per pound, and I check them EVERY time I go in, occasionally, you will find a Prime that got thrown in because its undersized or not the perfect shape for a restaurant cut, I have gotten some that approach low end Kobe, and take the entire primal.

Cut it myself to 1.25 thicknesses and vacuum seal then freeze.

IF their is a draw back, the steaks at the small end, can be sort of small compared to the thickness, if you don't mind a weird shaped steak then cook as usual.

But, I took a tip from the place that serves "the best hamburger in the world" and they use a 50/50 mix of strip steak and beef brisket to grind for their hamburgers.

Yeah, expensive per pound for a burger, but if you want the best, well, its not going to be cheap.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#47]
One other thought, if you are a grill NEWB, then experiment with a rib eye, because they have so much internal fat, not marbling, but chunky fat, you can over cook them, and still not have a ruined steak, where, a dry strip, can be HORRIBLE.

And, if someone prefers something other than a strip,chances are they have had unmarbled, overcooked strips, which, as Alton states, are not "GOOD EATS".

FWIW, If you don't want to ruin a strip steak, buy a small standing rib roast, have the bones removed and tied back on, and cook it as a standing rib roast, but, you have to do at LEAST six to seven inches of steak, or three to preferably four ribs, depending.  Have the butcher take it off the bone and retie it back together.

You WANT the SMALL end of the primal, the large end is fattier and less tasty, he can cut that end for the heathens who can't make a proper strip steak...
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#48]
New York Strip  or Rib Eye
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Those look horrible. Those steaks are about 35% fat and gristle that you pay by the pound for. Marbling is good. Inch thick veins of fat are a waste of money.
Link Posted: 3/30/2013 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
don't get a Flat Iron, those things taste like shit

Prep is key to outcome with those. I order the fillet if out at an unfamiliar establishment. It's usually a safe bet for getting a decent cut. Lots of places are fond of serving steaks that are mostly fat and gristle. I will send those back to the kitchen every time. When I cook them at home I prefer strip but I like lean cuts.
Page / 4
Top Top