Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
People live in them. Usually poor people.

Generally nothing for you there if you don't know the people who live there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This. The word refers to a geographical feature. Hollows can be roadless and unpopulated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holler is the proper pronunciation of the word Hollow when used in the context of a small valley.
This. The word refers to a geographical feature. Hollows can be roadless and unpopulated.
That is pretty much true, but in the past, not necessarily so. You'd be amazed where folks hacked a living in the mountains. I hunted a lot of hollows that have now been absorbed into WMA's, National Forest and Wilderness areas. You'll pass through one that looks like folks had never lived there, then find an old chimney or the scariest...an abandoned well. Last one I ran up on was about 20' deep and had a dead Walker hound in it. Guess the poor pooch fell in during a coon hunt and died from the fall or could not get out and starved to death. He was laying on rocks, metal and glass. I was only five feet away from the mouth of that thing before I even noticed it. Scary stuff.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is pretty much true, but in the past, not necessarily so. You'd be amazed where folks hacked a living in the mountains. I hunted a lot of hollows that have now been absorbed into WMA's, National Forest and Wilderness areas. You'll pass through one that looks like folks had never lived there, then find an old chimney or the scariest...an abandoned well. Last one I ran up on was about 20' deep and had a dead Walker hound in it. Guess the poor pooch fell in during a coon hunt and died from the fall or could not get out and starved to death. He was laying on rocks, metal and glass. I was only five feet away from the mouth of that thing before I even noticed it. Scary stuff.
View Quote
Reminds me of some of the old mine shafts in the California desert, you really had to keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A holler is a small valley usually where 1 family with multiple generations owns the whole thing.  You could have 14 houses all owned by aunts uncles cousins and nephews.  They are extremely tight and protective of each other against strangers.  People who go looking for trouble in one have been known to disappear.
View Quote
Sounds like my family in Elliot County KY.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My aunt's old address was Betsy Layne. Now its changed to Pikeville even though she hasn't moved. You want to see some rough country, drive past her house down into John's Creek.
View Quote
WOW!  Yea, Pikeville is the next largest town. Had very close family friends down there, owned Beebe coal mines.  Yes it is rough country.  Went to the face of one of his coal mines one day, the ceiling was only about 6 or 7 feet high, interesting to see it.  Back then it was pretty wild down there. I know one thing, there were some serious weapons that people had down there, full auto was not uncommon in some places back in the hills. If I remember correctly we crossed Little Mud Creek to get to his house, he was right at the base of a mountain.  A couple times we shot off his back porch and fired an M-1 Carbine and a Thompson into the hill behind his house.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You’ll never leave Harlan alive...
View Quote
Beautiful voice, beatiful girl.
From a holler in eastern KY.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/1n57WBtvtC4[/youtube]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's where people actually know how to fix their own shit, grow their own food, and are armed to the teeth.
View Quote
Sounds like some good people.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I like to describe it as the small valley between two hills that usually only has one road in that dead-ends at "the head of the holler". You can also have a main holler with little hollers off the main one.

Example:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Holler's down Copperhead Rd. Good place to hide yer still and garden from the DEA, at least til they get a chopper in the air.
View Quote
But I  learned a thing or two from Charlie, don't you know? so ill be ok.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
They usually are, unless you're not.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like to describe it as the small valley between two hills that usually only has one road in that dead-ends at "the head of the holler". You can also have a main holler with little hollers off the main one.

Example:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96007/holler_jpg-857834.JPG
View Quote
That's interesting. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol city ppl crack me up....
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The sound of a Glock 21 smoking a methbilly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Roger Alan Wade - One Big Ass Happy Family
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have lived in hollers, between two hollers, and I own a couple. Unpopulated ones aren't usually full of junk. Even so, with enough time nature will take it back. The holler where my dad grew up only has a few headstones to prove people were there.
View Quote
Been out hiking and hunting and found old graveyards that aren't even listed on USGS. Often hard to spot because the grave stones are just long rocks, jutting out of the dirt. No marble, no inscription, just a long rock sitting up. I helped some relatives reclaim an early graveyard from the woods one time. It was marked on USGS maps. Some of my ancestors are buried there. There might have been four or five proper grave stones (two of those being concrete, the others marble), but the bulk were just vertical stones. We did a controlled burn to get most of the duff out of the way. It actually shocked me how many stone marked graves were up there after clearing the duff, saplings and limbs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The sun ain’t seen some of them since creation.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Lol city ppl crack me up....
View Quote
Well I'm glad you're having a good laugh.
It's good for the soul
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There is truth to that, ive got a hollar that goes back to my range, never sees sunlight, while still have snow back there long after its melted by the house

Quoted:

Well I'm glad you're having a good laugh.
It's good for the soul
Lol, its all good, we got some hollars you wouldnt wanna be caught at night down, if your outa state, forget bout it, your bear bait, lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Been out hiking and hunting and found old graveyards that aren't even listed on USGS. Often hard to spot because the grave stones are just long rocks, jutting out of the dirt. No marble, no inscription, just a long rock sitting up. I helped some relatives reclaim an early graveyard from the woods one time. It was marked on USGS maps. Some of my ancestors are buried there. There might have been four or five proper grave stones (two of those being concrete, the others marble), but the bulk were just vertical stones. We did a controlled burn to get most of the duff out of the way. It actually shocked me how many stone marked graves were up there after clearing the duff, saplings and limbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have lived in hollers, between two hollers, and I own a couple. Unpopulated ones aren't usually full of junk. Even so, with enough time nature will take it back. The holler where my dad grew up only has a few headstones to prove people were there.
Where I live now, the neighbors have an old family cemetery in their backyard. It backs up to my barn so I have a pretty good view of it. There are supposedly over 20 graves, but only 5 or 6 have legible stones. The rest are rocks. The legible ones date from 1890s to 1930s.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#21]
My parents are buried in a hollow in Lee County, KY. Beautiful, rugged country.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is truth to that, ive got a hollar that goes back to my range, never sees sunlight, while still have snow back there long after its melted by the house

Lol, its all good, we got some hollars you wouldnt wanna be caught at night down, if your outa state, forget bout it, your bear bait, lol
View Quote
No problem,just messing around.
I don't think I'll ever be in one,night or day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

When my wife was living in Nashville we took a long weekend and rented a cabin near Pigeon Forge. I drove around some backroads and there was a lot of "nice house" "two crappy houses with ancient satellite TV dishes" "falling down trailers" nice house nice house abandoned house. My wife said something about "wow look at this" and I told her "you know there are small towns within a half hour of your parents' house that look just like this" "I never went there" Generally speaking they wouldn't bother anyone, but I spent a ton of time in rural TN and PA and it was similar. There were some guys  in TN who I think were considering trying to steal my wife's camera when we were pretty far out in the woods, but they never said or did anything so who knows. Good  thing as it might have still been illegal to carry in Federal Parks
View Quote
What's the saying in GD?
Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My grandparents lived down a holler.
View Quote
No one lives down a holler.
people live up a holler.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This.

And most hollers have a creek, or crick, running through them.
View Quote
In WV at least a holler has a "NAME" run in it (crick), with "Name" Run Road between one ridge and the run.
For example, you would turn off of St. Rt 23 up Broad Run, driving on Broad Run Road. Turn left at the yellow house past Yaeger's Run, go past old Hugh's place, and there was our house.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Reservations around the southwest have the same make up in some areas.
View Quote
The reservations are far more remote.  No matter how hillbilly an area is, it is still a few hours away from a large city.  Areas like the four corners or the upper peninsula are like their own countries.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The reservations are far more remote.  No matter how hillbilly an area is, it is still a few hours away from a large city.  Areas like the four corners or the upper peninsula are like their own countries.
View Quote
True
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/1n57WBtvtC4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You’ll never leave Harlan alive...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=https://youtu.be/1n57WBtvtC4
A lot of the newer female country singers have contrived "country" voices, but that gal is legit. My favorite of her songs is "Nothing but the wheel"
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Dwight Yoakam - Some Dark Holler
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I grew up in a Hollow. It was awesome and I wish I could it all over again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Holler's down Copperhead Rd. Good place to hide yer still and garden from the DEA, at least til they get a chopper in the air.
View Quote
But I learned a thing or two in Nam I'm going to show to the the BATF man.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#33]
this thread reminds me of Pikeville Kentucky, be afraid, be very afraid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Had a friend (outsider to KY) who took a new job in Law Enforcement, maybe Leslie or Owsley, both ring a bell from looking at a KY County Map. The seasoned local staff warned him emphatically not to go back into the hills, miles and miles of "roads", not on maps, if you were not local, especially in LE, you might not come back out.

He worked in the area for about 4 years before moving, he said they were not kidding.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#35]
A holler is a like a box canyon, only the box belongs to your cousinsister, which suits you just fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm watching Justified again and they mention going up to some holler.
What is a holler?
Is it some place at the end of a dirt road in the hills with a bunch of ramshackle cabins?
Just curious.
View Quote
I define it as, "A place where nobody can hear you scream, even if you scream into a radio or cell phone."
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My parents are buried in a hollow in Lee County, KY. Beautiful, rugged country.
View Quote
@lorazepam

Lee ya say? We're from Bloody Breathitt right on the Lee co line. Earned its name honestly.

eta: Hell, as I think about it, we're liable to be distant relatives. Lots of pretty common family names around there. Crawford, Gabbard, Lawson, Coomer.

Hollers can be as small as a re-entrant which is basically a run off. Some get named like Horse holler where someone walked a poor horse up and shot it dead. Some are big enough to have smaller hollers branching off from it.

I happen to prefer to travel at the top of the holler.

Bottom of the family holler.
Attachment Attached File

The type of domicile and folk you're liable to run into in a holler.
Attachment Attached File

Not shittin' about the dangers. There's a house and two wells in this pic.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Where I live now, the neighbors have an old family cemetery in their backyard. It backs up to my barn so I have a pretty good view of it. There are supposedly over 20 graves, but only 5 or 6 have legible stones. The rest are rocks. The legible ones date from 1890s to 1930s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is a pic of the oldest section of a graveyard that is still in use and maintained not too far from where I live. These are from the original "pioneer" part of the yard as it was part of a circuit church. The are just spikey stones jutting out of the ground. The two tallest are about 8' high and nontypical for early graves around here. The little plaques show the two tallest as being from the 1820's, so these folks settled here before the indian removal.

Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pikeville is child’s play. Breathitt and Letcher Co’s laugh.

And there must be something directly correlated between living in east KY hollers and driving/parking. East KY drivers stink at both.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This thread reminds of where my family came from. Very fond memories of running around the mountains of Tennessee. Only caution my grandparents told me was watch out for snakes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's where people actually know how to fix their own shit, grow their own food, and are armed to the teeth.
Some are, but he kinda left out the massive welfare/"Disability" dependency, unemployment prescription drug abuse, and petty crime. The poorest and most welfare White people in American since South Boston gentrified.

They even have their own names for things.  "Draw check" = disability check.  "Crazy check" =  a check you get every month for your children from SSI when you get them to qualify for a fake disability.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
It might be more accurate to say they're armed to the tooth.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@lorazepam

Lee ya say? We're from Bloody Breathitt right on the Lee co line. Earned its name honestly.

Hollers can be as small as a re-entrant which is basically a run off. Some get named like Horse holler where someone walked a poor horse up and shot it dead. Some are big enough to have smaller hollers branching off from it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/11026142_10207190020134006_8931248090853702880_n_jpg-857881.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/cabin1_jpg-857887.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/11402936_10207190021974052_4451050832758711183_n_jpg-857888.JPG
View Quote
Quoted:

Here is a pic of the oldest section of a graveyard that is still in use and maintained not too far from where I live. These are from the original "pioneer" part of the yard as it was part of a circuit church. The are just spikey stones jutting out of the ground. The two tallest are about 8' high and nontypical for early graves around here. The little plaques show the two tallest as being from the 1820's, so these folks settled here before the indian removal.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-geo-images/b4a6daa9-7e97-41d3-9f3b-49c1029d981d_l.jpg
View Quote
Great photos guys.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#44]
At home, down in the holler.....

Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@lorazepam

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/11026142_10207190020134006_8931248090853702880_n_jpg-857881.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/cabin1_jpg-857887.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206831/11402936_10207190021974052_4451050832758711183_n_jpg-857888.JPG
View Quote
Your pictures are sure what it looks like there. Some of the folks live in trailers or old school busses that look like they were hauled in on a fire road until it got stuck, and that was how the location was chosen. I loved walking the base of the cliffs, easier walking as you said. I never lived there, but spent many years as slave labor clearing up the old farm as well as hunting and fishing. Beautiful country, but not much employment, and lots of poverty.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Squeal like a pig, boy
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Where is this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Where is this?
View Quote
Prenter Hollow, W.Va.   Old coal mining community.  I saw many of these old coal mining towns as a kid, being born and raised in the SW VA.mountains, with both my parents having been born in Logan county, WV, and raised in the Blue Ridge Mountain towns of Galax and Fries, VA.

Lot's of poverty and alcoholism there now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Squeal like a pig, boy
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 4:13:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Prenter Hollow, W.Va.   Old coal mining community.  I saw many of these old coal mining towns as a kid, being born and raised in the SW VA.mountains, with both my parents having been born in Logan county, WV, and raised in the Blue Ridge Mountain towns of Galax and Fries, VA.

Lot's of poverty and alcoholism there now.
View Quote
Thanks
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top