Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I learned a thing or two from Charlie don't ya know, they'll never come back from Copperhead road.
View Quote
The revenuers knew not to even go down that road when it was just moonshiners 40 years ago.  They stay away from it to this day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you travel back through, take pictures. Lots of the old houses, company stores, mine buildings etc are demolished every year. See what he has on his site and help fill in gaps or take newer/better pics if they're still standing. Share that site with locals (libraries are good, or just anyone who happens to ask what you're takin a picture of). Suspect cellular coverage is iffy, so keep a saved page on your phone/tablet.

There are a bunch of old RR stations/buildings around the country that wound up being turned into homes/apartments. Residents are often pretty outgoing once you show them a photo from back in the day.

I do this as I try to photograph Railroad stations in PA and Ohio

Suppose there are similar sites for other states.

Even New York has people trying to record old stations.

@Aimless check it out

Makes for a neat destination for a weekend day drive. Get off the beaten path, find a few neat two lane roads off the Interstate...
View Quote
Last time I was down there for any length of time it was about when he took most of those pictures. Old dilapidated buildings seemed to be more of the rule rather than a unique thing. This was kind of pre-smart phone days. At the time I remember thinking "man I wish I had a camera that was convenient" granted we spent most of our time in a rush going from location to location. I've actually thought about going back down there just to drive around and take pictures. It's a several hour drive for me so its hard to justify.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
When I tell my rural WV stories urban guys call bs and rural folks just smile and nod.

My wife worked for a hospice company that had its own pharmacy who would mix IV bags and deliver them for other companies as well.

They sent a delivery to a rural part of this state and their driver came back with it, said "fuck you I quit" and walked out.  They then called a cab (probably a hippa violation now but this was years ago).  Cab driver came back, slammed cooler on counter and left.

I was off that day and the pharmacist called me and said "200$ if you do it right now.

I drove there and the instructions said "turn left on route 35, then turn up 2nd hollow on the right, last house at the end.

I did it and at the end was a huge 3 story house that looked like an old boarding house from the 40's.

Six well dressed young guys were there and the trucks in the drive were all relatively new.

I rolled down my window and said "I'm looking for the home of Mrs. xxxxxx, would you guys happen to know where she lives".

They came off the porch in a group, two leaned on my hood, two leaned on my tailgate and one at each door".

Drivers door said "you're the third person today ... we can just deliver that morphine if you want".

I said "no thank you, you can just give me some directions" .

They all started laughing and he said "what are the odds you make it out of here with that cooler?"

I put my truck in reverse, shifted transfer into 4H, pointed a 1911 in his face, snicked the safety off and quietly said "better than average".

The other 5 busted out howling in laughter.

His got over the surprise quickly and said "she's our aunt we'll show you the way" they jumped in the back of the truck and took me up the next hollow.

Bunch of good boys once you got used to their sense of humor.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So murder is rampant?
View Quote
No, actually it's not. But its also very hard to get to most of these deep hollers. You would know your lost long before you ever got to someone's house. If you were to come upon some houses or locals, an unknown car would be met would a lot of suspicion. Think of it this way, if someone were to start walking around your backyard how would you react? These roads are mostly private drives. They wouldn't just up and kill you but they may have a gun or two trained on you or someone ready to. If you show up when they are drunk... Anything is possible.

EDIT

I've been back to one hollers as "friends of friends" for camping/shooting trip. There was no concern of drinking alcohol while shooting guns, a old salty looking Vietnam vet lit off some kind of improvised firework that was very powerful, another guy told me a story how he shot himself to get pain medication, some people had full-auto and I don't believe it was on the NFA registry. I never went back out there with that friend again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you're on this map, or just want to see these towns 100 years ago, go and spend some time at http://www.coalcampusa.com

http://www.coalcampusa.com/appalachian-coal-field-map.jpg

Hundreds, if not thousands of small towns thay wers born to serve a mine or coke ovens, then were left to return to nature after the company left.

Since Harlan, KY was mentioned, take a gander, then go read a few pages.

http://www.coalcampusa.com/eastky/harlan/harlan-coalfield-map.jpg

http://www.coalcampusa.com/eastky/harlan/harlan.htm
View Quote
One of the Harlan camps shown is within a couple miles of my house
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#6]
checking in from eastern KY

this is my holler

Having your own private shooting range is nice

Link Posted: 2/25/2019 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I love Appalachia.

Before I retired, I would frequently head off to the mountains of Pennsylvania, Western Maryland and Northern West Virginia.

As I'd leave the city, and especially as soon as I started up the first ridges, I could feel my blood pressure relax.

People mock it, then go back to their McMansions and beltway hell. Just smile and shake your head. Who's got a better life?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love Appalachia.

Before I retired, I would frequently head off to the mountains of Pennsylvania, Western Maryland and Northern West Virginia.

As I'd leave the city, and especially as soon as I started up the first ridges, I could feel my blood pressure relax.

People mock it, then go back to their McMansions and beltway hell. Just smile and shake your head. Who's got a better life?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I love Appalachia.

The question is, Latch or Lay?
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How many strangers did you murder for wandering on your property?
View Quote
Depends on who's asking. California transplant? I lost count by the time I was 12, but that's because I never learned to count past 20

No, violence isn't all that common, maybe because not many "outsiders" go in to the area. Suspicion, shunning and general unfriendlyness? Sure, but no more than I've experience in other parts of the country. That all changes if you're with a local, have family in the area or stick around long enough for people to see that you're not going to cause problems by messing with the hollers community.

I have personally never been involved in a physical altercation with an "outsider". I have seen fist-fights and a couple of warning shots (shotgun round in the air) though, and those weren't because the "outsider" was an "outsider", but because they were giant assholes who started the fight. In the case of the warning shot, attempting to steal shit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not a question to anyone that lives here. Latch is the only pronunciation accepted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys.
Great stories.
@Merrell cool links
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to live near a Holler when I was a kid...............the people that lived down there were not to be messed with
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's not a question to anyone that lives here. Latch is the only pronunciation accepted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhh, the lay is a good way to identify outsiders.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"Chillicothe Avenue, 1900 CE-
View Quote
I walked home from school through that site for four years. We lived on W. Auburn, so we would cut right through all of that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You’ll never leave Harlan alive...
View Quote
Patty Loveless "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive"
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#17]
We have several roads around here with "hollow" in the name.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have several roads around here with "hollow" in the name.
View Quote
One of my favorite road names I've seen across NE TN, SW VA, SW WV and NW NC is Right Poor Valley.  It is essentially a holler.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:29:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like a place you don't want to make a wrong turn into.
View Quote
Eastern KY and WV have some spooky areas
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Holler's down Copperhead Rd. Good place to hide yer still and garden from the DEA, at least til they get a chopper in the air.
View Quote
At that point you'll wake up screamin' like you're back over there....
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
this thread reminds me of Pikeville Kentucky, be afraid, be very afraid.
View Quote
HA Pikeville's civilization.  There's lots darker places in E KY than Pikeville.  Now out in Pike county maybe... like the aforementioned John's Creek.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You’ll never leave Harlan alive...
FPNI
I was born in Harlan, and I got out just fine. We lived across the mountain in Va, and the Harlan hospital was the closest that delivered babies at the time. We don't even have a hospital in our county now.

Part of the old Harlan road  runs through my property. It was an old wagon road from VA to KY.

Just make sure you can speak hillbilly if you go up in the hollers around here, and you will be just fine most of the time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Its Holla(r)

The R is kind of silent, but faintly there
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Depends on who's asking. California transplant? I lost count by the time I was 12, but that's because I never learned to count past 20

No, violence isn't all that common, maybe because not many "outsiders" go in to the area. Suspicion, shunning and general unfriendlyness? Sure, but no more than I've experience in other parts of the country. That all changes if you're with a local, have family in the area or stick around long enough for people to see that you're not going to cause problems by messing with the hollers community.

I have personally never been involved in a physical altercation with an "outsider". I have seen fist-fights and a couple of warning shots (shotgun round in the air) though, and those weren't because the "outsider" was an "outsider", but because they were giant assholes who started the fight. In the case of the warning shot, attempting to steal shit.
View Quote
Summer 2007 I was doing some work down in Inez, KY. The client we were working with seemed a little aloof,  then downright chilly when he asked where I was from and "near Detroit" was my answer.

I quickly corrected that that my ancestors were from his area, the Tug Fork valley. "Who were they?" he asked. When I told him the name of my 5x grandfather he said "hell, we're kin!" Warmed right up to me once he found out we were related.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#25]
they live up the holler

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

HA Pikeville's civilization.  There's lots darker places in E KY than Pikeville.  Now out in Pike county maybe... like the aforementioned John's Creek.
View Quote
John's Creek is nothing, those people are fine. If you want a show just head up Mud Creek, that's where you see the characters
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When my wife was living in Nashville we took a long weekend and rented a cabin near Pigeon Forge. I drove around some backroads and there was a lot of "nice house" "two crappy houses with ancient satellite TV dishes" "falling down trailers" nice house nice house abandoned house. My wife said something about "wow look at this" and I told her "you know there are small towns within a half hour of your parents' house that look just like this" "I never went there" Generally speaking they wouldn't bother anyone, but I spent a ton of time in rural TN and PA and it was similar. There were some guys  in TN who I think were considering trying to steal my wife's camera when we were pretty far out in the woods, but they never said or did anything so who knows. Good  thing as it might have still been illegal to carry in Federal Parks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My grandmother used to have an aunt in middle TN who lived in a holler back in the woods.   It was a very Clampett-like arrangement, one of those "if your front porch collapses and kills more than two dogs" kind of things.    There was a rundown old house and I don't think they even had electricity, or if so, maybe one bare light bulb in the main room.   I visited a couple of times.  She had a common law husband named Otto who I never saw do any work around the place; his main occupation seemed to be either getting drunk or trying to get drunk, and he was pretty good at it.
When my wife was living in Nashville we took a long weekend and rented a cabin near Pigeon Forge. I drove around some backroads and there was a lot of "nice house" "two crappy houses with ancient satellite TV dishes" "falling down trailers" nice house nice house abandoned house. My wife said something about "wow look at this" and I told her "you know there are small towns within a half hour of your parents' house that look just like this" "I never went there" Generally speaking they wouldn't bother anyone, but I spent a ton of time in rural TN and PA and it was similar. There were some guys  in TN who I think were considering trying to steal my wife's camera when we were pretty far out in the woods, but they never said or did anything so who knows. Good  thing as it might have still been illegal to carry in Federal Parks
My family has been just above Knoxville since the 1700's, the area is a declared wilderness now.

My mother told me they (our relatives) "didn't come down out of the hollers until they paved the main road". No reason to I guess, it was mainly a subsistence society then.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ridge to ridge, you gotta holler across for someone to hear you on the other side.

A small valley or dell for you yankee types.
View Quote
this is correct... "over yonder down in the hollow..."
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Great thread

Not back in the hollers but damn close again
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 12:39:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I live on the hill between two hollars...though not quite as secluded as most are talking about in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#33]
I got transferred to White Pine, Tenn, back in the late eighties.  I thought there would be nice southern folks like the rest of the south, but got a surprise.  Half of the people I worked with didn’t have telephones and half of them didn’t have indoor plumbing.  There was a Remington 870P in our bathroom due to car thefts in our parking lot.  Had a Chinese girlfriend at the time who wanted to visit.  I told her the people there stared at me and weren’t friendly to me and they sure as hell wouldn’t like her.  She traveled there anyway and  I’ll be damned if people didn’t walk up to her and strike up a conversation when they wouldn’t give me the time of day.  From there I did some traveling through eastern Kentucky.  White Pine was like NYC in comparison.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:11:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol
Yep.  Pikeville is the cosmopolitan big city of E. Ky.  Out in the county might be hurting but there's still old coal money wealth in Pikeville.  Plus what the Medical Center and UPike bring in.

OP, this video gives you an idea of the terrain in the region, although it can get far more isolated than what's seen here.

A Trip Up Wolf Pen Drive aka Wolf Pen Holler, Sissonville, West Virginia
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:17:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Holler is not really a hollow.

It's just a low lying piece of land, not necessarily a valley but with a high spot on one side.

They are on the back 40.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:27:42 AM EDT
[#36]
My family was so remote the creek was the road up in the holler they were at.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Holler is what you do after your angus is peppered.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Where your dad grew up would be cool.
View Quote
I'm not who you intended this for but I figured I'd throw some pictures in.

This is my grandparents house and where my dad grew up in Ashcamp, Ky.  The brown building to the right was the Ashcamp grocery that my great grandfather owned and my dad worked in as a child.  They had a couple of gas pumps out front, and sold groceries, household items, guns, and ammo inside.  The top of the mountain in the distance is the Ky-Va state line.

My great grandfather's house, just on the other side of the creek.

The post office.

Our family cemetery.  How long do you think it would take nature to reclaim this if it wasn't kept up?  With the jobs drying up and people moving away or dying off I think a lot of the area is going to end up lost to the widerness.

I took this at the nearby Breaks Interstate Park.  My wife and I got married here.

Wife pic from there, since I know you fuckers will ask.

Took this on the road to the Breaks Park.  You can see why they say if you're deep in a holler you won't see the sun until 10am and it sets by 3pm.

Family reunion at my Aunt's house just outside of Pikeville.

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:02:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
 The people were always friendly though, if they knew you.  If they didn't they were very cautious, very.
View Quote
I've been recognized on sight as a descendant of someone who had business being there, just from family resemblance.  

Which was sorta neat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was born in Harlan, and I got out just fine. We lived across the mountain in Va, and the Harlan hospital was the closest that delivered babies at the time. We don't even have a hospital in our county now.

Part of the old Harlan road  runs through my property. It was an old wagon road from VA to KY.

Just make sure you can speak hillbilly if you go up in the hollers around here, and you will be just fine most of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'll never leave Harlan alive...
FPNI

Hell, there are family cemeteries  on my wife's side of the family that only get visited in the middle of the day, and even then, it's a good idea not to look around too much, and that's for relatives of the ones buried there.  Shame that a particular cousin never told anyone else his shine recipe, it was apparently pretty good and the recipe died with him.  Although he may have switched to different product in his later years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:52:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Both sides of my family came from the McKee-Jackson-Sand Gap area, both of which were around during The Great Depression. Used to do security work for one of the gas companies down there. Just like anywhere else, there are some great folks in that area. There are also reasons why I carried more "tools" with me there than I have working in any third world shit hole. Not knocking it since most of my family came from there, but you better be cautious of where you are and who you deal with.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep.  Pikeville is the cosmopolitan big city of E. Ky.  Out in the county might be hurting but there's still old coal money wealth in Pikeville.  Plus what the Medical Center and UPike bring in.

OP, this video gives you an idea of the terrain in the region, although it can get far more isolated than what's seen here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQGlNd2rqBc
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm not who you intended this for but I figured I'd throw some pictures in.

This is my grandparents house and where my dad grew up in Ashcamp, Ky.  The brown building to the right was the Ashcamp grocery that my great grandfather owned and my dad worked in as a child.  They had a couple of gas pumps out front, and sold groceries, household items, guns, and ammo inside.  The top of the mountain in the distance is the Ky-Va state line.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7804/47215119171_54812cc092_o.jpg

My great grandfather's house, just on the other side of the creek.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7842/47163074942_bae0a0410f_o.jpg
The post office.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7848/47163075262_b324390549_c.jpg

Our family cemetery.  How long do you think it would take nature to reclaim this if it wasn't kept up?  With the jobs drying up and people moving away or dying off I think a lot of the area is going to end up lost to the widerness.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7882/47215119431_902f2a933f_c.jpg

I took this at the nearby Breaks Interstate Park.  My wife and I got married here.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4838/46642747282_d8d5dda2e0_b.jpg

Wife pic from there, since I know you fuckers will ask.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7872/46642746612_bbcb28c354_b.jpg

Took this on the road to the Breaks Park.  You can see why they say if you're deep in a holler you won't see the sun until 10am and it sets by 3pm.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7820/46491610904_e6751e294a_b.jpg

Family reunion at my Aunt's house just outside of Pikeville.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3937/33934456785_e6bc3eba30_b.jpg
View Quote
thanks for those
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:33:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So murder is rampant?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The sun ain’t seen some of them since creation.
There is truth to that, ive got a hollar that goes back to my range, never sees sunlight, while still have snow back there long after its melted by the house

Quoted:

Well I'm glad you're having a good laugh.
It's good for the soul
Lol, its all good, we got some hollars you wouldnt wanna be caught at night down, if your outa state, forget bout it, your bear bait, lol
So murder is rampant?
You think bloody Breathitt county got it's name cause there's a bunch of Brits living there?

The whole "outsider" thing might be a little overstated these days. But go ambling around the backwoods and find out for yourself how things are handled.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#46]
A holler so deep Hoot Owls hoot all day long...

Hootie hooooooo!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've done surveillance in hollers back in the day.  It was risky.

In some narrow hollers, the sun rises at 10 and sets at 2 LOL.
View Quote
You don’t work for HS Precision do you?

I kid I kid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Some are, but he kinda left out the massive welfare/"Disability" dependency, unemployment prescription drug abuse, and petty crime. The poorest and most welfare White people in American since South Boston gentrified.

They even have their own names for things.  "Draw check" = disability check.  "Crazy check" =  a check you get every month for your children from SSI when you get them to qualify for a fake disability.
View Quote
"Don't mess with my draw"
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:00:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I live on the hill between two hollars...though not quite as secluded as most are talking about in this thread.
View Quote
That makes you a "hillbilly", apart from "gully folk"
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Both sides of my family came from the McKee-Jackson-Sand Gap area, both of which were around during The Great Depression. Used to do security work for one of the gas companies down there. Just like anywhere else, there are some great folks in that area. There are also reasons why I carried more "tools" with me there than I have working in any third world shit hole. Not knocking it since most of my family came from there, but you better be cautious of where you are and who you deal with.
View Quote
My wife's people are all from down there. Tyner/McKee to be specific.

And agreed on the people these days. The damned dope has took the place.  

I don't fear them and have never had even a hint of a problem but I do turn up the situational awareness a tad just to be sure.

A hardcore hillbilly (or 2) with a serious habit can be a dangerous encounter out in their country.

I'm also hearing that the Messicans are moving in pretty heavy moving the dope and they bring their own customary ways of doing business with them.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top