Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#1]

this stuff was very nice
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I absolutely can't stand most tequila, it's like drinking paint thinner.

Fortaleza however is a fantastic tequila. I order it whenever I see it somewhere.
View Quote

Tequila makes her clothes fall off.
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Neat, with a little on the nipple..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Served how?

Neat, with a little on the nipple..
Noted
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tapatio is great stuff.

Its the "budget" brand made at la altena by Carlos Camarena. The only thing budget about it is instead of 100% tahona crushed it is extracted using a roller mill and distilled to a higher proof to up yield. Nothing really budget about that. Still a better process than 90% of distilleries out there. The tapatio 110 is my standard I keep around for cocktails, and the excelencia is what I consider my winter time tequila.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not drinking tonight, the wife is still recovering from surgery, but she's doing great so it's worth it.

Now having said that, what can you tell me about the Tapatio tequila? Is that supposed to be one of the better distilleries? I got the name from r/tequila and it's good, has a much stronger "tequila" flavor than most silvers that I have had.

Also any other thoughts on the rest of them on my list as I am mostly drinking gifts and tequilas that I have had good luck with. I'd like a solid list to try focused on silver tequilas. I like the "younger" taste and I'm not a fan of oakiness in tequila.

Thanks @WOAFP I love tequila threads.

Tapatio is great stuff.

Its the "budget" brand made at la altena by Carlos Camarena. The only thing budget about it is instead of 100% tahona crushed it is extracted using a roller mill and distilled to a higher proof to up yield. Nothing really budget about that. Still a better process than 90% of distilleries out there. The tapatio 110 is my standard I keep around for cocktails, and the excelencia is what I consider my winter time tequila.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#6]
giving macro a bump to keep this out of archives
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
@woafp

First, thanks for the bump.

I picked up some Anejo....in truth...after trying a variety of tequilas across the three popular categories....im enjoying sipping blanco and reposada. Im a bourbon guy, so if i want that strong, dark, caramel and oak, ill go there.  If i want smoke and earth, i drink scotch. The Anejo just doesnt rock my world much. Seems like that would work well in a mixed drink where it would bring that traditional tequila flavor to the table, but have the strong barrel flavor balanced out by other ingredients.

Now...for sipping...curious to know what temperature people like.
Ive been drinking my tequila neat and at room temp.
Been thinking about throwing a bottle in the fridge, and one in the freezer, and doing a tasting starting from warmest to coldest...and then another day reversing that order.

Thoughts?
How do you guys like to serve neat tequila?
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I only drink it room temp. Too much flavor is covered up by drinking it chilled.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I only drink it room temp. Too much flavor is covered up by drinking it chilled.
View Quote

Same.  For me, there are two types of tequila I'll drink: tequila good enough to be sipped at room temperature and tequila that goes in a margarita or other cocktail.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:33:21 PM EDT
[#10]
definitely another room temperature guy here. For spirits the different chemicals and flavors from the source material (in this case agave fruictin) are carried on fatty lipid chains through the distillation process. When you get a spirit cold, those fatty chains coagulate and bunch up and have less interaction with our tastebuds. You taste less of a spirit when cold. Fine concept for something i'm not too happy to be drinking, less fine for a spirit that shows so much terroir from its source material
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Went through a few bottles of that with friends last weekend. It's good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t know how people can drink that crap. No such thing as good tequila.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys go ahead and drink all of your rotgut clear tequilas

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]

If only there were anejos on the market not full of vanilla flavoring, aspartame, glycerin, and burn ammonia for coloring...

Oh wait! There are.

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If only there were anejos on the market not full of vanilla flavoring, aspartame, glycerin, and burn ammonia for coloring...

Oh wait! There are.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349595/20210118_173637-1785585.jpg
View Quote

I discovered during the '20 "lockdown" that reposado tequila has become my favorite hard liquor.  But I'm an absolute putz compared to you guys.

I like Casamigos Reposado the most, but usually settle on the Sauza Hornitos Reposado since it's cheap and doesn't make me go blind.  Cazadores was all right but I preferred the taste of the Hornitos over it.  I'll have to peruse the thread and see what's available locally to try to improve my stable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Any of the three below is good for me:

Milagro
Espolon
Tres Generaciones

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fun fact: The direct effects of alcohol are the same whether you drink wine, beer or spirits. There's no evidence that different types of alcohol cause different mood states.
View Quote
Anecdotally, I have to disagree.  
I mean, I totally agree that logically, ethanol is ethanol is ethanol, and it shouldn't make an iota of difference,  and I can't explain why it does but it does.  It's baffling. But I can tell you from experience that tequila hits differently than Jack Daniels, or gin.  It's very subtle, to be sure, but I can feel it and I've seen it in other people, I know people who claim JD makes them nasty drunks, but vodka mellows them out.  This may only hold to a certain point though, once you're 3 sheets to the wind, it's the same effect.
I thought maybe it could be due to the effect of the synergy of what you mix it with, the same way a generic version of a drug may not be 100% as effective as the original due to different inactive ingredients or base, but I usually drank my Cuervo and JD straight.
Unfortunately we can't do a blind taste test to prove one way or the other because the tastes are so different.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anecdotally, I have to disagree.  
I mean, I totally agree that logically, ethanol is ethanol is ethanol, and it shouldn't make an iota of difference,  and I can't explain why it does but it does.  It's baffling. But I can tell you from experience that tequila hits differently than Jack Daniels, or gin.  It's very subtle, to be sure, but I can feel it and I've seen it in other people, I know people who claim JD makes them nasty drunks, but vodka mellows them out.  This may only hold to a certain point though, once you're 3 sheets to the wind, it's the same effect.
I thought maybe it could be due to the effect of the synergy of what you mix it with, the same way a generic version of a drug may not be 100% as effective as the original due to different inactive ingredients or base, but I usually drank my Cuervo and JD straight.
Unfortunately we can't do a blind taste test to prove one way or the other because the tastes are so different.
View Quote

the cuervo gold that most drink in america is actually a mixto. This allows for the addition of a large amount of sugar alcohols, synthetic sweeteners, colorings, flavorants, and even different stabilizers. Much of what people think of as a bad reaction to "tequila" is likely just them being dehyrdated and feeling sick from ingesting a ton of barely food chemicals.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Good evening for some agave juice

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't know how people can drink that crap. No such thing as good tequila.
View Quote
You are hanging out with the wrong crowd
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I see your Tapatio XA and I raise you an Artenom 1146 Añejo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I see your Tapatio XA and I raise you an Artenom 1146 Añejo.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14629/B07E04A1-EE9C-43EC-AF29-8568B21DCB67_jpe-2077253.JPG
View Quote

And woafp pulls an 1146 distilled 7 year from the deck

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Lol. Who am I kidding. I can’t compete with your incredible collection.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I fold.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I fold.
View Quote

Ha! You, AZGR, and Castlebravo have all caught up to me. I don't envy the beating your wallets have taken over the last year. I had a little longer to gather mine.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a bottle of Clase Azul Reposado on the shelf now. It’s nearly finished off. I enjoyed it, but I haven’t seen it mentioned here yet. What should I be replacing it with.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a bottle of Clase Azul Reposado on the shelf now. It’s nearly finished off. I enjoyed it, but I haven’t seen it mentioned here yet. What should I be replacing it with.
View Quote

If you like repos, I’m a big fan of El Tesoro Reposado.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:27:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a bottle of Don Julio Anejo.  I'll have to crack it open one of these days.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Don Julio for me

Have been drinking Don Julio since the 90’s.

Just picked up another bottle of Anejo
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#31]
While I do love me some Don Julio, I find that the Kirkland Anejo makes a delicious Margarita....and at about $30 a quart, it's a winner.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#32]
How is the Don Julio Primavera?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:56:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How is the Don Julio Primavera?
View Quote

If you like DJ, it's delicious...even though it's a limited release, I don't think it's worth the premium (~$130 a bottle here)  I didn't taste the orange/citrus notes, and seemed like a more richer version of standard DJ reposado...nice to have in the collection, but not groundbreaking, IMO
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the review. I look for a bar to try it in rather than buy a bottle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:08:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for the review. I look for a bar to try it in rather than buy a bottle.
View Quote

If you can find one that has it....it's good, but in retrospect I'm wondering if I shoulda spent the extra $60, and got the bottle of 1942 instead.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I’ll get flamed for this but the truth fucking hurts. No one can agree on what to call clear, white tequila so we won’t use terms like “blanco”. Or “silver”, or “plato”. The fact is, is that if you are drinking repasado or anjeo tequilas you wish your tequila tasted like something else. The only true expressions of the spirit are clear and white. Quit fucking around. Try good mezcals for another good experience. Remember, tequila is the only spirt that traces its origins to North America.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:43:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. I’ll get flamed for this but the truth fucking hurts. No one can agree on what to call clear, white tequila so we won’t use terms like “blanco”. Or “silver”, or “plato”. The fact is, is that if you are drinking repasado or anjeo tequilas you wish your tequila tasted like something else. The only true expressions of the spirit are clear and white. Quit fucking around. Try good mezcals for another good experience. Remember, tequila is the only spirt that traces its origins to North America.
View Quote

Post count. Join date.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#38]
This stuff right here is amazing.  Otherwise, Fortaleza, Tequila Ocho and the Cascahuin Tahona Blanco are all really solid.

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mezcals were first distilled when the Spanish turned to the native agave nectar beers (pulque) after their brandy stores ran out. Using very simple Filipino stills the pulque was distilled to a basic spirit and then stored in barrels and shipped throughout the region. The new spirit was also barreled for direct market sale all throughout the supply lines and trading posts. Basic barrel resting would have been the norm unless you were filling bottles or bladders right at the point of distillation. And the early American introduction to mezcal through supply posts in Tequila would have been exclusively rested in barrels. Barrels were just how we stored any large volume of liquid at the time. Water, pickles, liquors, and basically any food stuff not suited for drying.

At the end of the day, I prefer unaged agave and sotol spirits. I think more of the agave gets to shine through, but saying aged agave spirits aren't a true expression of agave spirits is off base of their history. The biggest issue today is just how many companies treat aged tequila. You take tequila ocho for example. The company exists to showcase terroir of the agave. They use heavily used barrels (more like the original tequilas) and they do not rechar the barrel. Their extra anejos are lighter in color and barrel influence than many company's reposado. Why? Because they are trying to showcase the agave and the influence of resting, not the oak of the barrel. Then you look at something like the herradura that are almost opaque. That's a tequila that is just pretending to be a bourbon. Newly charred barrels and hot aging temperature hide the agave and just border too closely on brandy and whiskey territory.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#40]
May have to bust out something special today for the birthday. Trying to think of what though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I finally got tired of trying to track down a bottles of this. Ended up getting three bottles delivered @$60/bottle

Good stuff.

Why is it so unusual for mezcaleros to make still strength spirit?

ETA image

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I finally got tired of trying to track down a bottles of this. Ended up getting three bottles delivered @$60/bottle

Good stuff.

Why is it so unusual for mezcaleros to make still strength spirit?

ETA image

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77810/image_jpeg-2078367.JPG
View Quote

Such amazing stuff! Fortunately in the mezcal world still strength is still common and finally in the last few years, tequila producers are making more high proof stuff
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Let's keep you out of archives
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#44]
I only drink spirits as mixed drinks and my favorite, by far, is Anejo Tequila and fresh squeezed lime juice in a 2-to-1 ratio.  My go-to, as far as taste, cost and availability is Hornitos Anejo.  I followed the high level tequila thread here for a bit and bought a bottle of decently good stuff and it was fucking delicious in a margarita, but not worth the extra cost, over the Hornitos.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Let's keep you out of archives
View Quote

@woafp

Thank you for your contributions to this thread...ive definitely learned stuff i wouldn't have.

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I only drink spirits as mixed drinks and my favorite, by far, is Anejo Tequila and fresh squeezed lime juice in a 2-to-1 ratio.  My go-to, as far as taste, cost and availability is Hornitos Anejo.  I followed the high level tequila thread here for a bit and bought a bottle of decently good stuff and it was fucking delicious in a margarita, but not worth the extra cost, over the
View Quote

I never really saw tequila beyond mixed drinks until i found the better ones
Avion Silver is easily approachable for sipping....very clean and subtle. Doesnt punch you in the face.

There have been a number of great reposadas posted already that are awesome on their own.
Always worth having a bottle of good stuff on the shelf.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Cincoro Anejo has become my favorite tequila.

I’ve got a friend out of state picking up a couple bottles of the Don Julio finished in Lagavulin casks(hard to find around here, so I haven’t been able to check it out)
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 8:59:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Enjoying a nice XA tonight (tears of llorona). Anyone enjoying some nice agave?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm not a conisuer.  But now I need some Sprite, O.J. and Grenadine to compliment my 1800 Silver.. GD is making me drink tonight.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Just became a big fan of 21 Seeds infused tequilas. Their Cucumber Jalapeño is the bomb for spicy margaritas!

https://www.21seeds.com/infused-tequila
Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top