Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apparently Mars has glacial belts at its central latitudes that we can't see because they are covered by dust.  The amount of water is thought to be enough to cover the entire planet in one meter of ice:

http://cdn.phys.org/newman/csz/news/800/2015/marshasbelts.jpg

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-mars-belts-glaciers-frozen.html

View Quote

Mars must have been a very beautiful planet before its core cooled down. I'll bet even money there are fossils on that planet, microbes at least.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Apparently Mars has glacial belts at its central latitudes that we can't see because they are covered by dust.  The amount of water is thought to be enough to cover the entire planet in one meter of ice:

View Quote

An interesting XKCD what-if that describes just what oceans on Mars could look like (under a ridiculous hypothetical ).

https://what-if.xkcd.com/54/

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Mars must have been a very beautiful planet before its core cooled down. I'll bet even money there are fossils on that planet, microbes at least.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think one of the issues is how much of an atmosphere Mars had in the past. Given its low gravity, I wonder if it could have supported complex life.

Anyone with actual knowledge have any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I want to say I recall hearing Mars had a pint of water per cubic foot of soil. I am no mathematician, does that sound right for your meter of ice on the entire surface?

Thanks for the great thread.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, I so hope we at least find another inhabitable planet in my lifetime.  I won't be going there but it would be nice to know we could finally be getting off this rock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
  I think one of the issues is how much of an atmosphere Mars had in the past. Given its low gravity, I wonder if it could have supported complex life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reason we have an atmosphere and mars doesn't is because the earths outer core is a giant molten sinning ball of iron which gives us our magnetic field.  This magnetic field shields our atmosphere from solar wind which would otherwise slowly strip the atmosphere away.  Mars used to have a magnetic field which would have protected an atmosphere but at some point the core cooled to a point where the dynamo shut down and exposed it's atmosphere.  Before the magnetic field shut down it is very possible that Mars had complex life (probably not all that complex though.)  Earth's life may have even started there only to be spread here seeded on ejecta from an asteroid impact.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No actual knowledge, but I'm more than willing to give an ill-informed opinion.

My guess is complex life never happened on Mars.

Not enough time to evolve before the core cooled down and The Big Freeze set in.

As to why Mars core cooled so (comparatively) quickly, ya got me. A lack of radioactive metals, maybe?

Microbial life looks more probable to me.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Not enough time to evolve before the core cooled down and The Big Freeze set in.

As to why Mars core cooled so (comparatively) quickly, ya got me. A lack of radioactive metals, maybe?

View Quote

Here is my guess.  At some point the Earth was two smaller planets that collided due to gravitational perturbations from Jupiter.  When they collided the two cores merged in what is now Earth an a large amount of crust and mantle material was Ejected and formed the moon.  This gave us much larger hotter core that could last longer before shutting down.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actual knowledge? How about someone who did a report on it in for high school english?

There is no reason gravity wouldn't allow complex life to form, but the question is:

1) was there sufficient chemistry for self replicating molecules to survive?

2) If single cell life existed, was there enough time for it to become complex?

#1 seems more and more possible as research continues (allot more info out there than at the turn of the century, when I did my report).

#2 seems unlikely, given the fact that on earth much of the history of life comprised of single cellular life, so unless things moved along faster on mars that it did on earth, things may have run out of time before conditions changed enough and put an end to the conditions supporting #1

This is my layman's opinion.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Actual knowledge? How about someone who did a report on it in for high school english?

There is no reason gravity wouldn't allow complex life to form, but the question is:

#1 seems more and more possible as research continues (allot more info out there than at the turn of the century, when I did my report).

#2 seems unlikely, given the fact that on earth much of the history of life comprised of single cellular life, so unless things moved along faster on mars that it did on earth, things may have run out of time before conditions changed enough and put an end to the conditions supporting #1

View Quote
Sample size of 1.    You are probably right though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sample size of 1.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sample size of 1.  
so when you divide by n-1, it works wonders for your statistical calculations.

Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
NASA TV has every US based EVA broadcast live,

NASA TV on USTREAM

NASA TV Scd.  

Next good thing is the coverage of the SpaceX launch on Monday afternoon, EST.  NASA just gets the feed that SpaceX provides so it is up to Elon what we see.  I hope they show the the first stage landing attempt this time, it is a daylight attempt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Those water bubble videos are cool.  Crazy looking.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi there.

High Res

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I would literally cut my left nut off to fly to the moon on a saturn v and drive a moon buggy around for the "afternoon"
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]

What spectrum is that taken in?

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Don't know how I missed this, but it's awesome!
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That image was captured by the Solar Dynamics Observatory in extreme ultraviolet light so the structure is correct but the colors are false.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You mean like a picture of the universe when it was 400,000 years old?    

http://planck.cf.ac.uk/files/Planck_full_rbcol_sm.png

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is awesome.
I was waiting for you to chime in.    
Don't be fooled, I'm not an actual astronomer.

Just an armchair one, hence the avatar.

ETA::Its pictures like this that shows up how we can know allot about the history of a solar system without having to witness the history of a single solar system.

Think of it for example if aliens could take a picture of every person on earth at one and only one instant in time.

They wouldn't know everything, but they could figure out allot about human behavior and life cycles.

You mean like a picture of the universe when it was 400,000 years old?    

http://planck.cf.ac.uk/files/Planck_full_rbcol_sm.png

Inflation thoery.
More proof the big bang thoery is correct and steady state thoery is incorrect.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

<snip>

"I found this odd property of galaxies, let's test it on subatomic particles."  It's all good fun.  
View Quote

That's one of the weirdest things about this whole business, but also one of the most satisfying, somehow.  Sort of like the emission/absorption spectral lines discussion above.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#31]
The bright star in this pic is not in our galaxy, it is a star in the pictured galaxy going supernova and outshining all of the other starts in galaxy NGC 4526 in the process:

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
That's one of the weirdest things about this whole business, but also one of the most satisfying, somehow.  Sort of like the emission/absorption spectral lines discussion above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

"I found this odd property of galaxies, let's test it on subatomic particles."  It's all good fun.  

The astonishing pics would be enough to keep me captivated, however the science behind it gives me my passion.  If I didn't light shit on fire for a living I would make a career change.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#33]
The bright spots on Ceres are back in view:

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#34]

If you don't want to watch the whole thing I would recommend at least watching the bit starting at 8:10.

https://youtu.be/ORSdHnMH-dI

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Interesting on how nothing is something  

Mysterious 'supervoid' in space is largest object ever discovered, scientists claim
View Quote

Link
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mysterious 'supervoid' in space is largest object ever discovered, scientists claim

Link
That is quite the large void.  Cool.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Here is my guess.  At some point the Earth was two smaller planets that collided due to gravitational perturbations from Jupiter.  When they collided the two cores merged in what is now Earth an a large amount of crust and mantle material was Ejected and formed the moon.  This gave us much larger hotter core that could last longer before shutting down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mars has no appreciable magnetic field (light core) and lower gravity.  That means it can't hold on to it's atmosphere as the solar wind passes.  As the lighter gasses are stripped off the atmospheric pressure dropped.  This means that the water on the surface was subject to lower and lower pressures.  That allowed the surface water to boil off and get stripped away in solar winds with other light gasses (the H2 was first to go) the O2 left behind got bound up with carbon and formed the CO2 that is predominate gas in the atmosphere.  The only water left has to be protected by a soil and rock layer or it off gasses just like dry ice does here on Earth. The Phoenix lander discovered the water ice under the surface a few years ago.

I agree we may just find microbial life or evidence of it in times past but I doubt we will stumble on a trilobite type fossil.  Mars did not keep it's surface/liquid water long enough.  I give it 50/50 that we find evidence of life.  If it did, DNA is the next goal of discovery.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

That little map makes no sense.

They zoom up a small area and give a little indicator about an inch long, implying that inch represents 1 billion light years of distance.

Then they have the moon pointed out, and Andromeda, yet those two on the map are WAY further apart than the key they provided.......although andromeda is only 2.5 million light years away. According to their map Andromeda is a few hundred billion light years away from our moon.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That map is the location of those objects in our sky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

That little map makes no sense.

They zoom up a small area and give a little indicator about an inch long, implying that inch represents 1 billion light years of distance.

Then they have the moon pointed out, and Andromeda, yet those two on the map are WAY further apart than the key they provided.......although andromeda is only 2.5 million light years away. According to their map Andromeda is a few hundred billion light years away from our moon.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03274/supervoid-2_3274419b.jpg

That map is the location of those objects in our sky.

Then it makes even LESS sense.

The article says that the void is only about 3 billion light years from earth.......yet andromeda is MUCH closer to earth than that, but further away in their diagram.

My whole point is that the scale of the image is all wrong. Look at the legend, which is zoomed up. They give a scale for 1 billion light years of distance. That legend does not jive with the rest of the image based on their landmarks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Dawn is getting pretty close and finally coming around to the light side

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/details.php?id=PIA19064

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ever wonder what happens to the solid booster rockets after they are jettisoned from the space shuttle?  They are recovered and refurbished:

https://youtu.be/OYf_ZdmtGnA

http://youtu.be/OYf_ZdmtGnA

https://youtu.be/Gbtulv0mnlU

http://youtu.be/Gbtulv0mnlU

The big external fuel/oxidizer tank on the other hand breaks up on reentry and is not recovered.

Not very exciting video:

https://youtu.be/MIVxWnz6sWc

http://youtu.be/MIVxWnz6sWc

External tank after separation:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Space_Shuttle_fueltank_freefall.jpg

View Quote

I had this link bookmarked from a few years ago. The video was pretty hard to find IIRC.

Ground-based video of an external tank burning up in the atmosphere

ETA: The reason videos like this one are so rare is that the external tank reentry usually occurred over areas that had limited to no access. ET's were also equipped with their own cameras and power much like the solid fuel boosters but the transmitters were usually turned off shortly after separation due to diplomatic reasons as some countries didn't want RF transmissions over their territory.

Apparently, on STS-135 they kept the ET camera transmitter on longer than usual to try and record some of the reentry from the ET's perspective. A NASA rep confirmed that they got reentry footage but I haven't been able to find the video. If any knows where to find it, I'd love to see it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That still doesn't really do it justice. The fact that there is so much water in our solar system leads me to believe that we have been looking for extraterrestrial life in all the wrong places. We need to get some probes up to Europa, Enceladus, and wherever else pronto. Of course, what I'm stating is rather late to the party. Isn't there planning for just such a trip to Europa underway?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This gif compares the amount of water on the Europa to the amount on Earth:

http://i.imgur.com/OnPVJ8A.gif

That still doesn't really do it justice. The fact that there is so much water in our solar system leads me to believe that we have been looking for extraterrestrial life in all the wrong places. We need to get some probes up to Europa, Enceladus, and wherever else pronto. Of course, what I'm stating is rather late to the party. Isn't there planning for just such a trip to Europa underway?

Netflix has Europa Report. Moderate budget, made in another country. It wasn't that bad.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#45]
If you have clear skys and nothing better to do, wach the Lyrid Meteor shower tomorrow night:  http://www.nasa.gov/features/watchtheskies/lyrid-meteor-shower-peaks-tomorrow-april22.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Love to get some comments on NASA's "Tether Incident"

UFO NASA's unexplained tether overload incident

This has fascinated me for years.

You can find the exact objects on other NASA footage.

Comments?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Do you even fahrenheit bro?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Love to get some comments on NASA's "Tether Incident"

UFO NASA's unexplained tether overload incident

This has fascinated me for years.

You can find the exact objects on other NASA footage.

Comments?
View Quote
Particles in the foreground.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#49]
One of the Curiosity Rover's wheels after 962 Martian days:

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#50]
SOON

Above is the first color image of pluto from the New Horizons probe.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top