Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 108
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This doesn't exactly seem like a good time for American companies to be expanding their manufacturing operations in China.  

Tesla stock is down to 225 today.  It dropped more than ten percent in the last week, and hasn't been this low in two years.  
There's a lot of speculation in the stock boards about Elon Musk being hit with a margin call, if the stock price drops to around $200-210.
View Quote
I think the margin call risk is overblown.  We know how much credit Elon has secured with a small percentage of his stock, but we don't know how much of that credit he's drawn.  He can also just pledge more stock if necessary.

I don't think there will be a big disastrous margin call for him that sends the stock crashing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Elon personally took over the autonomous driving division last week because no one can get it done like he can.  I would expect another mass exodus of engineering talent in short order
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a few current and former Tesla production line folks. They said line fuck ups were pretty common along with accidents. High turn over due to shitty conditions and management were a common theme when talking about it.
Elon personally took over the autonomous driving division last week because no one can get it done like he can.  I would expect another mass exodus of engineering talent in short order
Next, Elon will need to personally take over Tesla's Legal division.  Truly autonomous driving won't be legal for another 10+ years due to the legal/administrative issues.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Next, Elon will need to personally take over Tesla's Legal division.  Truly autonomous driving won't be legal for another 10+ years due to the legal/administrative issues.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know a few current and former Tesla production line folks. They said line fuck ups were pretty common along with accidents. High turn over due to shitty conditions and management were a common theme when talking about it.
Even then it’ll be state and locality specific.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's an interesting analysis of Tesla's financials.

Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.valuewalk.com/2019/05/tesla-raise-capital-convertible-bond/

Interesting article with some deeper technical detail about the recent capital raise.  Spoiler: The market charged them 8.5% interest, commensurate with the current yield of their underwater 2017 bonds.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.valuewalk.com/2019/05/tesla-raise-capital-convertible-bond/

Interesting article with some deeper technical detail about the recent capital raise.  Spoiler: The market cjharged them 8.5% interest, commensurate with the current yield of their underwater 2017 bonds.
View Quote
Thank you.
Interesting, and dumbed down enough for folks like me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why do you think they want to get into the automobile insurance business?  No one will write policies for his self-driving fleet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why do you think they want to get into the automobile insurance business?  No one will write policies for his self-driving fleet.
View Quote
Yup. I am no longer allowed to write any of the cars with auto drive on commercial policies.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup. I am no longer allowed to write any of the cars with auto drive on commercial policies.
View Quote
That’s very interesting
<- P&C licensed
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only commercial?

Like fleet vehicles or any commercial?
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I would have to imagine that its going to be an absurdly high premium for any true self-driving vehicle even if its for non-commercial use. This has never been done before, Elon got that figured out, hence the auto-insurance branch out
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Insurance companies realize that autonomous car policies aren't going to be profitable.

Say you're driving your old Ford down the road, and Bubba walks out in front of you.  You hit him, and break his bones.  
- It's either your fault, or Bubba's fault.  You will probably get sued, even if it was Bubba's fault.  Ford rarely gets sued in situations like this.

Say your autonomous Tesla is driving down the road, and Bubba walks out in front of it.  The Tesla hits him, and breaks his bones.
- It's either the Tesla's fault, or Bubba's fault.  Tesla will probably get sued, even if it was Bubba's fault.  Tesla is going to get sued. Every. Single. Time.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 7:50:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Only commercial?

Like fleet vehicles or any commercial?
View Quote
All commercial. Personal lines is probably not far away.

It is not just Tesla it’s all cars with auto drive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is auto drive defined?  For instance, I have a Subaru with their eyesight system.  It will nudge the steering wheel if you turn it on.  If the road is flat, the lines well defined and no crosswind it will keep you in the lane.  Presumably Tesla's autopilot would count so the line has to be somewhere between the two.

Also, at some point, the auto drive will be better than your average and then better than your best drivers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 10:52:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How is auto drive defined?  For instance, I have a Subaru with their eyesight system.  It will nudge the steering wheel if you turn it on.  If the road is flat, the lines well defined and no crosswind it will keep you in the lane.  Presumably Tesla's autopilot would count so the line has to be somewhere between the two.

Also, at some point, the auto drive will be better than your average and then better than your best drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The average driver carries state minimum insurance. If they cause a crash they will be sued up to that limit,  most people have limited personal net wealth and are not really worth going after personally.

Contrast that with an automobile manufacturer, the software developer, etc. How many deep wells of $$$$ are there to go after once a car on “autopilot” kills a pedestrian or driver.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I assumed it was for the nice cash flow that insurance companies have.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#17]
This doesn't sound good.

Tesla has started pushing out a software update that will change battery charge and thermal management settings in Model S sedans and Model X SUVs following a fire in a parked vehicle in Hong Kong earlier this week.  
https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/15/tesla-issues-battery-software-update-after-hong-kong-vehicle-fire/
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:40:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are different autonomy level ratings. Someone will be along to articulate it better
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
so in the past day, Tesla lost yet another executive, threw in the towel on the solar business, and admitted they have a battery\software problem that causes vehicles to spontaneously combust, and the NTSB issued a report saying there was a crash with autopilot engaged and working with a stationary object  and yet the fanbois are still buying this turd of a stock because Elon will save the world.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There are different autonomy level ratings. Someone will be along to articulate it better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am aware of at least one classification system, but the one I am aware of is very over simplified.  Realistically, improvements will be incremental and they will be mostly in the grey area.   The worst part I think will be when the technology will be almost good enough.  On my Subaru, no sane person will expect the car to drive itself and the technology should be a help.  People are letting their Teslas drive themselves to some extent now and not paying attention.  (including someone I know personally, Chicago I90 commute)  The transition to fully automated driving will be, "sporty".
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How on earth are Tesla continuing to defy financial gravity? I don't understand it. The wheels have to come off soon, surely?

Because Tesla are the poster child for the green movement, there's a lot of denial to go around, but reality has to catch up soon, and I think it will be in the form of big auto finally waking up and stomping on Tesla's market.
View Quote
I believe the saying is “the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”

Big auto will only stomp on Tesla’s market if they think the market is big enough to be worth stomping. I think lithium batteries are not the best idea for durable goods that people expect to own for 5-10 years. Seems most people have this figured out or maybe the cars are just too expensive to be economically viable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#23]
NTSB confirms Autopilot killed another:  https://www.marketwatch.com/story/teslas-stock-dives-toward-2-12-year-low-after-ntsb-crash-report-2019-05-17?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

Stock price getting hurt again today.  Reality is really setting in.  If you bought anytime after December of 2016 and held you've lost money.  If you bought at almost any time after February of 2014 and held you've lost money.

Interesting quote from the story linked above:

Separately, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk reportedly told employees that the $2.2 billion in cash reserves only gives the company about 10 months to break even, at recent cash burn rates.
View Quote
They just raised $2.2B, and Elon is saying their cash reserves are $2.2B.  Is he confirming the previous analysis based on their 1Q19 financials that while they reported $2.2B of Cash and Cash Equivalents, their interest income and LIBOR rates would suggest their actual cash on hand had dropped to less than $0.5B.  Creative accounting of Cash Equivalents was allowing them to double book some items and inflate the total of Cash and Cash Equivalents.

It's interesting also that in the Q1 investors letter they claimed that their $2.2B of Cash and Cash Equivalents at the time was "sufficient," and then they almost immediately raised another $2.2B cash, and then claimed they have $2.2B total in cash.

Remember, "There's never just a little bit of fraud."
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Elon and the CFO are now personally authorizing every expenditure, this went out in an a memo to Tesla employees yesterday.  The 2Bn they just raised will last them 10 months at best, the stock is down 4% so far this morning and is below $220. Once they hit  margin call territory on Elon's loans that's all she wrote and that could be today
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Well things are certainly getting interesting.  Tesla stock dropped 7% today.

To: Everybody
Date: May 16, 2019
As mentioned at the company talk, it is extremely important that we examine every expenditure at Tesla no matter how small, and be sure that it is critical.
When making hundreds of thousands of cars, battery packs and solar systems, even a ten cent savings could be worth over $50,000 a year. There are over 10,000 unique parts and processes at Tesla, so making small improvements across the board has a giant cumulative impact.
At the same time, we must also continue to make our products subtly better in thousands of small ways.
It is important to bear in mind that we lost $700 million in the first quarter this year, which is over $200 million per month. Investors nonetheless were supportive of our efforts and agreed to give us $2.4 billion (our net proceeds) to show that we can be financially sustainable.
That is a lot of money, but actually only gives us approximately ten months at the first-quarter burn rate to achieve breakeven. It's vital that we respect the faith investors have shown in Tesla, but it will require great effort to do so.
That is why, going forward, all expenses of any kind anywhere in the world, including parts, salary, travel expenses, rent, literally every payment that leaves our bank account must be reviewed, confirmed as critical and the top of every page of outgoing payments signed by our CFO.
I will personally review and sign every 10th page.
Please examine closely every expense where responsibility is, or probably should be, assigned to your group. If in doubt, assume it is on your plate, so that we don't have anything slip through the cracks.
This will take at least a few weeks to get right. Please don't worry if it isn't correct at first.
This is hardcore, but it is the only way for Tesla to become financially sustainable and succeed in our goal of helping make the world environmentally sustainable.
Thanks again for your excellent work,
Elon
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Insert Now We Throw Back & Heads & Laugh .gif
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's one of the best analysis of Tesla's financials I've seen to date:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4264912-tesla-pivots-oblivion
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I've worked for several tech companies that bit the dust and every one of them failed just a few months after the CEO sent an e-mail saying he was going to personally review expense reports and purchase orders. In my experience, that is the biggest red flag of all because it's generally the only hint one gets that the company is in serious trouble, especially if the company is pre-IPO. Tesla is already publicly traded, so that kind of e-mail is just another nail in the coffin, but it's quite telling because CEOs tend not to admit there is a problem even if they are up to their necks in problems and their public position is untenable.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Conclusion

This year, the final word, by courtesy of the Book of Daniel:

MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've worked for several tech companies that bit the dust and every one of them failed just a few months after the CEO sent an e-mail saying he was going to personally review expense reports and purchase orders. In my experience, that is the biggest red flag of all because it's generally the only hint one gets that the company is in serious trouble, especially if the company is pre-IPO. Tesla is already publicly traded, so that kind of e-mail is just another nail in the coffin, but it's quite telling because CEOs tend not to admit there is a problem even if they are up to their necks in problems and their public position is untenable.
View Quote
A former manager of mine was in his mid career when the telecom meltdown hit all of the north Dallas companies in the early 2000s.  He told me once that when the maintenance guys came around removing one out of every three fluorescent tubes in each light fixture, he knew the company was broke.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#32]
It's interesting that none of the Tesla fanboys have checked into this thread lately.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's interesting that none of the Tesla fanboys have checked into this thread lately.  
View Quote
After the recent zaniness:

"Your Model 3 will be an appreciating asset, becoming worth $250k in the next three years."
"We'll have a million robotaxis on the road next year."
"Tesla will be a $500B company."
"Model Y is a seven passenger SUV."

Combined with the zaniness that's only about 4 months old at this point:

"We expect to be profitable every quarter from now on."  Followed shortly by, "We lost money in Q1 and expect to lose money in Q2."
"We'll never need to raise money again."  Followed shortly by, "We're doing our largest cash raise ever."
"We're shutting down the showrooms."  Followed shortly by, "I guess not."

Combined with the older still outstanding zaniness:

"Semi and R2 coming in 2019."
"Shanghai factory making 3k cars/week before the end of 2019."
"Model 3 will make us a profitable company."
"Machine that builds the machine."
"5k Model 3s per week."  <--- (This one in 4 different variations, all still failures since they're still not producing them at 5k/week.)
"10k Model 3s per week."

No one can take Elon seriously at this point, and Tesla's future looks like it's a toss-up between Chapter 7 and Chapter 11.

At this point even the most clown-shoes zealots who used to post in this thread have to admit that they were flat wrong about everything.  That's why they're not here any more.  The numbers have been available since 2016.  Tesla's fate was sealed when they acquired Solar City.  Only the people who wanted to believe a green-washed fantasy still held out hope beyond that.  For them it was an emotional attachment to the dream of Tesla, not a rational financial investment against the company's stock price.

My only regret is that I bet too little.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
@Tesla1

I would really love to hear from him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"Your Model 3 will be an appreciating asset, becoming worth $250k in the next three years."

"We expect to be profitable every quarter from now on."  Followed shortly by, "We lost money in Q1 and expect to lose money in Q2."
"We'll never need to raise money again."  Followed shortly by, "We're doing our largest cash raise ever."

"5k Model 3s per week."  <--- (This one in 4 different variations, all still failures since they're still not producing them at 5k/week.)
"10k Model 3s per week."

No one can take Elon seriously at this point, and Tesla's future looks like it's a toss-up between Chapter 7 and Chapter 11.

At this point even the most clown-shoes zealots who used to post in this thread have to admit that they were flat wrong about everything.  That's why they're not here any more.  The numbers have been available since 2016.  Tesla's fate was sealed when they acquired Solar City.  Only the people who wanted to believe a green-washed fantasy still held out hope beyond that.  For them it was an emotional attachment to the dream of Tesla, not a rational financial investment against the company's stock price.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"10k Model 3s per week."

Thank you for excellent post

This sums up much of thread
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I saw one over here:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/About-to-pull-the-trigger-on-a-Tesla-model-3/5-2220064/
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As mentioned at the company talk, it is extremely important that we examine every expenditure at Tesla no matter how small, and be sure that it is critical.
When making hundreds of thousands of cars, battery packs and solar systems, even a ten cent savings could be worth over $50,000 a year. There are over 10,000 unique parts and processes at Tesla, so making small improvements across the board has a giant cumulative impact.
At the same time, we must also continue to make our products subtly better in thousands of small ways.
It is important to bear in mind that we lost $700 million in the first quarter this year, which is over $200 million per month. Investors nonetheless were supportive of our efforts and agreed to give us $2.4 billion (our net proceeds) to show that we can be financially sustainable.
That is a lot of money, but actually only gives us approximately ten months at the first-quarter burn rate to achieve breakeven. It's vital that we respect the faith investors have shown in Tesla, but it will require great effort to do so.
That is why, going forward, all expenses of any kind anywhere in the world, including parts, salary, travel expenses, rent, literally every payment that leaves our bank account must be reviewed, confirmed as critical and the top of every page of outgoing payments signed by our CFO.
Please examine closely every expense where responsibility is, or probably should be, assigned to your group. If in doubt, assume it is on your plate, so that we don't have anything slip through the cracks.
This will take at least a few weeks to get right. Please don't worry if it isn't correct at first.
This is hardcore, but it is the only way for Tesla to become financially sustainable and succeed in our goal of helping make the world environmentally sustainable.
Elon
View Quote
That’s a fascinating display of micromanagement.    It will be seen as the death knell of Tesla.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
They are too busy BTFD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They are too busy BTFD.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/200878/8578E4BE-FA55-4DB4-B40A-55A302C5D347_jpeg-950058.JPG
Yeah, I'm not convinced it's hit bottom yet...
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That’s a fascinating display of micromanagement.    It will be seen as the death knell of Tesla.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elon
Buyers at real car companies would kill their mother for 2 cents on a part let alone 10 cents. If they are just now figuring this out they are in even worse shape than I thought.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

"10k Model 3s per week."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"10k Model 3s per week."

That's not zaniness, that's Musk peddling whatever bullshit he thinks will buy him more time on the sinking ship.  People are finally owning up to the fact that they bought into the hype.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 5:34:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's hit bottom yet...
View Quote
I think at minimum the stock price needs to shed another $100 to be at a level where the future prospects are well-priced if the company were to start executing with 100% success.  If one does not believe Tesla can begin performing to that standard, then a normal auto industry valuation equal to the company's book value puts the stock price under $30.

But it's hard to bet against it right now, since the recent capital raise gives them an easy 9-15 more months of cash to fire the incinerator.  The options trade has become crowded and expensive; I haven't had a position since early March.  I'm going to wait for the July 2021 puts to go on sale, and then maybe get back in.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/2722169/original/?width=413&version=2722169
View Quote
If this keeps up, maybe we’ll see him take the company private at $120?

Might be worth the lawsuits...
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#45]
$180 a share by weeks end.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Morgan Stanley analysts have delivered another blow to Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA), slashing their worse-case scenario for the stock price to just $10 (from $97) because of concerns the electric-car leader has saturated the market.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3465547-morgan-stanley-cuts-bear-case-tesla-10

Also on CNBC this morning.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It must be odd being a Tesla employee, because you clearly cannot believe anything your CEO tells you.

When Musk announced in June 2018 that Tesla was going to lay off about 9% of their entire workforce, he explicitly told employees that they were making this hard choice so they would never have to do it again.  Then, in Jan 2019, he tells them that 7% of the workforce is going to be fired.    Granted - they had hired a lot of new people, but that just suggests very erratic management and leadership - and very poor abilities to forecast.  Now we're firing, now we're hiring again, now we're firing again, etc.

It's sort of like him one day saying that they're going to get rid of showrooms and fire all those employees, and then shortly after that changing his mind and saying they're not going to do that after all.

Combine this with the examples of him overtly LYING to the public and investors (like the whole "funding secured" bullshit) - and it's got to be a bit weird working at Tesla, knowing that you cannot necessarily believe or rely upon anything that your CEO tells you or the public.

I suspect that future business cases written about Tesla and Elon Musk will not be kind to him - and will likely conclude that the company could have been FAR more successful with someone else at the helm.
View Quote
I think you are right, and i think that is why SpaceX is so successful where Tesla is failing. Shotwell is running SpaceX, Musk is running Tesla.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Those of you that follow Tesla closely, what do you think will become of it?

Bankruptcy, then fire sale?

Or it just shuts its doors and ceases to operate?

Or another company or investor group buys it out, fires Musk and continues operating?

Other?

It sounds like the end is nigh for the current iteration, but I don't really understand modern business, where companies seem to be able to operate and even grow while bleeding money like a disemboweled pig.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Those of you that follow Tesla closely, what do you think will become of it?

Bankruptcy, then fire sale?

Or it just shuts its doors and ceases to operate?

Or another company or investor group buys it out, fires Musk and continues operating?

Other?

It sounds like the end is nigh for the current iteration, but I don't really understand modern business, where companies seem to be able to operate and even grow while bleeding money like a disemboweled pig.
View Quote
GM Tried to buy Rivian, I could see them buy up Tesla's assets for their own purposes.
Page / 108
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top