Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you know, you know
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rear window goes down, it's the only thing that matters.

If you know, you know

My '21 rolls down, but I guess I don't know?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Did toyota add a third fuel injection system to fix the detriments of the other 2?

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes

Those aren't the same rear end, or am I missing something?

Black one is the LC? Looks tiny.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Those aren't the same rear end, or am I missing something?

Black one is the LC? Looks tiny.
View Quote

They aren’t the same thing.

Not sure that I’d consider the LC small, here is the GX with people for scale:
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m happy with my 5th gen dinosaur.  We just bought a 24 Sequoia TRD Pro for my wife.  It’s got a ton of power and is really nice but has way too much tech for my liking.  

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

does not inspire me unfortunately
View All Quotes

It’s a Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’m happy with my 5th gen dinosaur.  We just bought a 24 Sequoia TRD Pro for my wife.  It’s got a ton of power and is really nice but has way too much tech for my liking.  

https://i.imgur.com/O5KKXLT.jpeg
View Quote

This is the feedback I like.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]
We've got the 4Runner,Land Cruiser,Sequoia, and the GX550 Overtrail to choose from...Toyota is looking pretty good imo.

If I can figure a way to get the 2nd seat outta there and make a nice level cargo area the LC is what I'm wanting.

Keeping the 5.7 Tundra though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn that fucking display screen, there are enough distractions now so lets just super-size the damn thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That giant screen sucks.

Please no fucking tiny engines with turbos or hybrid bullshit.
View Quote

I'm so glad I got my 2014 Tacoma with the 4L V6.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We've got the 4Runner,Land Cruiser,Sequoia, and the GX550 Overtrail to choose from...Toyota is looking pretty good imo.

If I can figure a way to get the 2nd seat outta there and make a nice level cargo area the LC is what I'm wanting.

Keeping the 5.7 Tundra though.
View Quote

You hit on something, wonder if this will lower the entry on late model 200 series?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:41:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That giant screen sucks.

I'm reading confusing posts about the turbos requiring 91 Octane though...at least the LX550 Overtrail?

Maybe I'll just keep our 4Runner after all...
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#15]
4Runner.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm reading confusing posts about the turbos requiring 91 Octane though...at least the LX550 Overtrail?

View Quote

Lexus always calls for 91 I believe.

Let's ask expert @amped
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is all the current engine is good for too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.4 turbo won’t be able to tow shit besides a bass boat.

That is all the current engine is good for too.

Yeah, towing has never been the 4Runner’s strong suit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Apparently, most of the midsize truck class didn't get that memo.

Ranger: 2.3
Colorado/Canyon: 2.7
Tacoma: 2.4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2.4 turbo won’t be able to tow shit besides a bass boat.

Apparently, most of the midsize truck class didn't get that memo.

Ranger: 2.3
Colorado/Canyon: 2.7
Tacoma: 2.4

Makes sense as that’s not the class of vehicles I would chose if towing was a priority.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#20]
gayer than 2 dudes sucking each other off
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Let's ask expert @amped
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's ask expert @amped

T24A in the Tacoma is spec'd as: Fuel Octane Requirement: 87 or Higher (up to E15)

Interested in any @amped info as always

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

T24A in the Tacoma is spec'd as: Fuel Octane Requirement: 87 or Higher (up to E15)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's ask expert @amped

if it's like the GX460, it can run 87 fine, the engine/computer adjusts to accommodate, that said you get less power and efficiency.

Ironically I get worse mpg with the 4.0 when I've run 93 (we don't have 91 here).

ETA: have no idea on the new motor spec for either the LC250, GX550, or 6th gen. When I had an Audi S4 years ago, the twin turbos HATED anything but 93.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Let's ask expert @amped
View Quote

@fineslayer83 the new GX will require 91/93  to the best of my knowledge. Anytime you have a turbo with Lexus you can bet it will require premium. Plenty of the line up take 87 but anything turbo or “performance” based will be premium
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I happily have a 2024 offroad coming that I will pickup in 2 weeks  

Will drive it for at least 2 decades.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:33:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

if it's like the GX460, it can run 87 fine, the engine/computer adjusts to accommodate, that said you get less power and efficiency.

Ironically I get worse mpg with the 4.0 when I've run 93 (we don't have 91 here).

ETA: have no idea on the new motor spec for either the LC250, GX550, or 6th gen
View Quote

There's quite a bit out there about Lexus requirements. Some don't require, those that do, there's claims both ways. Officialy:

https://support.lexus.com/s/article/Which-fuel-grade-shou-8129

CYA, and unlikely to be an issue for many reasons. But there it is

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Alright is that a speaker built into the back hatch???? I am guessing the buttons are for the back glass.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There's quite a bit out there about Lexus requirements. Some don't require, those that do, there's claims both ways. Officialy:

View Quote

Also some years of the same vehicle same motor require it and then not requiring it and then requiring it again. Always check your gas door for the “premium required” sticker on any lexus (with a factory gas door)

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#28]
v6 trd pro undie shows up april 19th with my name on it....
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They aren’t the same thing.

Not sure that I’d consider the LC small, here is the GX with people for scale: https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/470909/IMG_1127-3178555.jpg
View Quote

The GX550 (LC250) is 83.22" wide (no idea if that is including mirrors extended)... To put that in perspective, a 2024 F150 is 79.9" wide, 95" wide with standard mirrors extended (that number seems fucky). A 2024 Taco is (depending on model) 76.9/77.9/80.1 (the latter being the Pro). I used self-checkout at Target yesterday, so my expert opinion is that the next Gen 4R will follow the Taco width.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Hope my gen 5 doesn't take too much of a value hit in the next 6 months, thinking about getting rid of it even though I've only had it for a year.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the huge tablet display.
View Quote

Yeah, no shit. If I want to look at an IMAX screen I'll go to an IMAX theater.

Physical buttons & knobs > touch screen controls
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@fineslayer83 the new GX will require 91/93  to the best of my knowledge. Anytime you have a turbo with Lexus you can bet it will require premium. Plenty of the line up take 87 but anything turbo or "performance" based will be premium
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's ask expert @amped

@fineslayer83 the new GX will require 91/93  to the best of my knowledge. Anytime you have a turbo with Lexus you can bet it will require premium. Plenty of the line up take 87 but anything turbo or "performance" based will be premium
As per what's been reported on IH8MUD, both the GX and LC250 will require 91.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Alright is that a speaker built into the back hatch???? I am guessing the buttons are for the back glass.

View Quote

My 2020 has a speaker in the back hatch (I think) and the buttons are for lock and unlock while the FOB is on you. You can also just grab the hatch and it will unlock similar to the front doors unlocking when it senses the FOB.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a 2010 4Runner with 205K. I've become a real believer.

Can't wait to get another. I have faith they won't screw anything up.
View Quote

Laughs in 2.5 I-4T. Not a fan of the small displacement engines turbocharged to make big displacement power.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a fan of the huge tablet display.

The size of my '23's screen is perfect.  Then again, I'm an old fart and remember when a 25" CRT TV was "big" lol.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:47:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Auto Fudds haven't figured out that modern turbos are superior for towing.  Turbo makes power at the bottom and keeps going all the way up if you needed to but probably won't.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

320hp and 450ish ft lbs at low rpms..
Auto Fudds haven't figured out that modern turbos are superior for towing.  Turbo makes power at the bottom and keeps going all the way up if you needed to but probably won't.

Is that why we're 13 years into the EcoBoost era and nobody is making a 3/4+ ton truck with a turbocharged gasoline engine?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The GX550 (LC250) is 83.22" wide (no idea if that is including mirrors extended)... To put that in perspective, a 2024 F150 is 79.9" wide, 95" wide with standard mirrors extended (that number seems fucky). A 2024 Taco is (depending on model) 76.9/77.9/80.1 (the latter being the Pro). I used self-checkout at Target yesterday, so my expert opinion is that the next Gen 4R will follow the Taco width.
View Quote
That's the big question when it comes to width. Is it track width, body width, mirrors included?

Personally, I like the small-ish size of my GX470 for off-roading, but I doubt any of this new generation of vehicles will be that small. And I'm probably switching to a truck so I can have a pop-up truck camper, so it's kinda of moot anyway. Why am I here again? Oh, because Toyota 4x4.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

My 2020 has a speaker in the back hatch (I think) and the buttons are for lock and unlock while the FOB is on you. You can also just grab the hatch and it will unlock similar to the front doors unlocking when it senses the FOB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 5th gen has always had speakers on the interior of the back hatch.  I believe TZLVredmist was referring to the  area on either side of the Toyota logo with the odd texture.  Seems like an odd place to add a different texture.  That area wouldn't normally be used to open or close the hatch.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's a question of needs and expectations.

Towing is a primary reason I chose the 4Runner and its body on frame architecture.

That trailer has a 3k GVWR. I routinely put 1,000-1,500 pounds on it, and I've overloaded it a time or two. The 4R handles it well (that's only 60% of the vehicle's rated capacity), and it will most likely do so for years and years until it loses the battle against oxidation.  

I realize those are modest numbers compared to modern truck marketing standards, but I don't have a skid steer, cattle, or a tandem axle travel trailer. A 15k+ towing capacity does nothing for me, at least until something changes in my life.

Quoted:

Makes sense as that’s not the class of vehicles I would chose if towing was a priority.
View Quote

I think all of those midsize trucks are rated to tow 7k+ these days.

For a lot of people, that's plenty.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hope my gen 5 doesn't take too much of a value hit in the next 6 months, thinking about getting rid of it even though I've only had it for a year.
View Quote

See all these posts about guys complaining about turbos?

Those guys and people like them will be competing for new and late model used 5th gens.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you press and hold you can open and close the rear window with the buttons, too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Towing is a primary reason I chose the 4Runner and its body on frame architecture.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/IMG_9585-3161854.jpg

That trailer has a 3k GVWR. I routinely put 1,000-1,500 pounds on it, and I've overloaded it a time or two. The 4R handles it well (that's only 60% of the vehicle's rated capacity), and it will most likely do so for years and years until it loses the battle against oxidation.  

I realize those are modest numbers compared to modern truck marketing standards, but I don't have a skid steer, cattle, or a tandem axle travel trailer. A 15k+ towing capacity does nothing for me, at least until something changes in my life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257918/IMG_9585-3161854.jpg

Quoted:

GD's idea of "towing" involves goosenecks, 30' campers, etc lol.  For 98% of people, the 5k capability of the T4R is all most will ever need.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Just a reminder that the land cruiser is the master race in the US. (i said the US for the Hilux guys i see you).
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#44]
It looks great. I purchased a ‘18 brand new, and haven’t had a moments trouble with it. Love it. Been considering trading it for the new gen, if it ain’t all Tundra’d up with a gigantic grill, and such shit.

What’s the old saying about new gen vehicles? … what until at least the 2nd model year, so the bugs can get worked out by the 1st year buyers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That giant screen sucks.

View Quote

Why?  they are more powerful, more efficient and get better gas mileage.

also, the larger screen is fucking awesome.  stop hating things that i like!
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Let's ask expert @amped
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Also some years of the same vehicle same motor require it and then not requiring it and then requiring it again. Always check your gas door for the "premium required" sticker on any lexus (with a factory gas door)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also some years of the same vehicle same motor require it and then not requiring it and then requiring it again. Always check your gas door for the "premium required" sticker on any lexus (with a factory gas door)

Yea nothing is more contentious than mfg recommended (it's rarely couched as a requirement and isn't by Lexus) fuel grade. Maybe OCIs or Turbo Hybrids in trucks.

It's about safe operational envelope, and engineers are tasked with guaranteeing safe operational parameters. So they proscribe various limits given the worst parameters assumed. Want a bit more rated output, change various systems (including and normally "tune") and to avoid the possibility of detonation, or maybe pre-ignition, an octane grade is specified. Guys who"tune" get this. But the engineers know what going to be safe under worst conditions, and change the label based on that - so what're is on the door is safe.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#48]

The current gen 4 Runner is a good looking vehicle.

Not so much with that. Barf.

(ETA if that is actually the new 4R, not sure it is)
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You are correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's ask expert @amped

You are correct.

There's been a number of Lexus models that don't require premium.  Recent  NX250, ES, ESh, UXh  spec 87.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just a reminder that the land cruiser is the master race in the US. (i said the US for the Hilux guys i see you).
View Quote
Not anymore. The new LC250 has light duty diffs (8.2in) compared to the LC300 and incoming GX550 (9.5in).
If the new 4Runner comes out with a Trailhunter edition, with the same 9.5in diff as the Taco, it will be heavier duty.
Page / 15
Top Top