Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Oh yeah.  He's that guy that signed the machine gun ban...

I went from 8-18 in the '80s.  It was a fantastic time to be a kid in America.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The best of times..
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

May he rot in hell.

He helped out the yuppies. Everyone else, not so much.  When I was a teenybopper, it was counterculture to like Reagan. After I grew up, everything he, and Bush 41, did was just wrong, overreaching, and stupid.

Why people who consider themselves Right leaning idolize him is beyond me. He was a democrat who spent money we didnt have on things we never got
View Quote
Not entirely true. He did great things with military spending and out played the Soviets. And he did this with democrat controlled Congress.

I do agree that domesticity his policy sucked. Farmers and Vietnam veterans had it really bad. So too did home buyers. Shutting down government asylums and amnesty are policy mistakes we are still dealing with. He was a cronie capatist for sure.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have lots of good memories from the 80s. LOTS. I'd go back to it if I could.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.
Absolutely. If I could go back I would go back the 1986 summer of.

In college, in a fraternity. So much fun, so many sorority girls. And then I would ask my wife out - I met her while she was a sorority girl - a year earlier before I ask her out, when we were just friends.

We had a ball I wouldn't change anything but I would like to relive those years over one more time.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Our memories of yesterday will last a lifetime
We'll take the best, forget the rest
And someday we'll find these are the best of times
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not entirely true. He did great things with military spending and out played the Soviets. And he did this with democrat controlled Congress.

I do agree that domesticity his policy sucked. Farmers and Vietnam veterans had it really bad. So too did home buyers. Shutting down government asylums and amnesty are policy mistakes we are still dealing with. He was a cronie capatist for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

May he rot in hell.

He helped out the yuppies. Everyone else, not so much.  When I was a teenybopper, it was counterculture to like Reagan. After I grew up, everything he, and Bush 41, did was just wrong, overreaching, and stupid.

Why people who consider themselves Right leaning idolize him is beyond me. He was a democrat who spent money we didnt have on things we never got

I think the asylums were Court Ordered to be closed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I turned 20 right at the end of the '80s. It was a GREAT decade. The '90s was pretty good, too, but that might have been partly because I was in my 20s for the entire period.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Several posters in another 80's thread said this didn't happen.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#11]
No internet?  That would have been interesting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:I do agree that domesticity his policy sucked. Farmers and Vietnam veterans had it really bad. So too did home buyers. Shutting down government asylums and amnesty are policy mistakes we are still dealing with. He was a cronie capatist for sure.
View Quote
I don't think Reagon really did much to hurt farming as much as Carter did.  He kinda inherited that one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The 80s were by far the best decade of my life.  No other time is comparable.  My friends and I had so much fun it was unbelievable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You don't miss what you never had.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
At least the 55mph national speed limit ended.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost as good as the Roaring 20's.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The cocaine was on point though! Cocaine everywhere!

not saying I experimented with it or not, I'm just saying it was ubiquitous.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
It truly was the best of times.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It truly was the best of times.
View Quote
That's why they wrote this song,

Styx - The Best Of Times (Official Video)
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
No cell phones either (If you weren't VERY wealthy).  We used up our free time doing stuff with friends and family in person.  It was fun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It was a glorious time to be alive. I miss 80's hair.

https://i.imgur.com/c9BAFS8.png
View Quote
Hell no!
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#24]
rambo, rambo 2, rambo 3
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 2:27:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Give me a break.

I like 80s aesthetic but I wouldn't want to live through that again.

Reagan was crooked and out of touch
A blood transfusion could be a death sentence
Folks had to work two jobs each
Vietnam was still too close to home to discuss
Nuclear War was a real possibility
Calling someone across the country was expensive.
Crime was out of control
In some cases, if you didnt know the Fire or Sheriffs number or had it written down by the phone; you were in trouble as 911 wasnt everywhere yet.

I dont always like present year, but I wouldnt want to go through that again.  I'm content playing retro games and listening to retro music. I had a happy childhood but I dont want to go through that again.
View Quote
Good god. What'd you do in the basement all day? Watch tv? Knit?

The 80's were awesome. We were lower middle class or top of the rung poverty and me and my brothers had a ton of friends, lived in a great neighborhood, had great parents,  the music was the best, and the girls were girls. We didn't even pay attention to the bs you listed. We were too busy living well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 3:43:11 AM EDT
[#27]
To all the people calling me a Leftist, I would argue I am farther to the Right than 99% of you here.

Do not get caught up im the revisionism.  Reagan was horrible.  Yeah he spent big on the military and fat lot of good it did.  He did not end the Cold War.  The Soviets knew it was unsustainable since the early 70s.  The few forward thinking people who knew it was going to i.plode were shouted down by academics wanting to keep their Think Tank jobs to justify inane overspending.

An average day in the 80s for me was:
Chores on a farm
No cable
A few guns but bullets scarce
Getting a VCR was a big deal.
Going to town once a month
Everyone working to keep the farm
Taxes being in-freaking-sane
Getting a bicycle was a big deal
Relatives always off in Europe
Vietnam was never, ever discussed. Anything about Vietnam on TV was turned off. To this day, I have never seen a Jane Fonda movie.
Usually ate what we grew or raised or killed.

I'm glad the rest of you got to hang out at the mall, juke and jive with a walkman, and had your glory days of McDLTs and all. And I'm glad your folks had HK93s and Colt AR-15s. And I am happy you had Camaros.

That just wasn't my 80s experience.  Reagan didn't seem to do us any favors. Life was hard but it was real.  Didnt really enjoy the 90s either.

Though tough, I liked my childhood but the 80s are a time I don't care to think about.  I liked the movies and having a city friend record MTV and HBO for 6 hours a tape each month.  And clear night skies.  And all that.

But, otherwise.....I think the 1980s were overrated.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#28]
All times, when old, seem good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Give me a break.

Crime was out of control
In some cases, if you didnt know the Fire or Sheriffs number or had it written down by the phone; you were in trouble as 911 wasnt everywhere yet.

I dont always like present year, but I wouldnt want to go through that again.  I'm content playing retro games and listening to retro music. I had a happy childhood but I dont want to go through that again.
View Quote
lol wut?
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 7:17:33 AM EDT
[#31]
The 70's were the best of times and the worst of times for me. The best thing to come out of the 80's for me was meeting and marrying my wife. Still married and it's better than ever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The cocaine was on point though! Cocaine everywhere!

not saying I experimented with it or not, I'm just saying it was ubiquitous.
View Quote
The White colored Ferrari Testarosa was jokingly called "cocaine white".
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Was it only black & white in your bummer world, like the beginning of the Wizard of Oz?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/285/C1A0FFF9-FD44-44D5-B3CA-17648DC010EF-1102009.jpg
View Quote
Aren't you the guy who got mad at someone because they made fun of some great ancestor of yours?

Kind of a confusing place at times.  You all want to be rugged individualists and mock "Orange Man Bad" NPCs but the second someone goes off script about Reagan or how awesome a shrill and dumb a decade the 80s were none of you can handle it.

I was there.  Again, if your parents had money and you got all kimds of toys; great.  That just wasn't how it was for me.

The good things for me were:
-I got home cooked meals almost every night
-Despite my folks both working they always seemed to be together
-I got to learn how to drive a truck rather young
-I was shown how to shoot a gun at 5 years old
-Had my own well
-Church was a high point of my week
-I had super fresh bacon and eggs
-Antennae TV was hit or miss so I read a lot
-Summer meant the swimming hole

But yeah....my life actually sucked by not caring about Reagan, being a Fashion Victim, buying into fads, nor doing what city kids were doing.

I was stuck most days working outdoors, going to school, and eating dinner with my folks, and helpijg load up to go to Farmer's Market.

Oh no.....what a nightmare!  
It's so fortunate that kids now dont have to endure such a bleak life like I did
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Friday and Saturday night:

Try and score beer
Score beer!
Drive around and drink beer
Get pulled over
Cops pour out beer and tell you to go home
Score more beer!
Park out in middle of nowhere farmer's field and drink beer
Go home
Puke
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#35]
The BEST decade!
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:01:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It was Morning In America Again, as Reagan said.
View Quote
I look at the 80s as more of an Indian Summer in America.  It was the last good times before the huge partisan divide that started in the 90s and now affects every aspect of our lives.

Personally, the 80s were the best of times and the worst of times for me.  But overall they were good.

The memory I keep going back to is the summer of 1983.  Its a hot summer Saturday.  Chores are done, and in a couple of hours, I have to take a shower so that we can go pick Dad up at the airport.  Until then, i'm riding my go kart though the fields near my house and having a great time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I actually want liberals to get abortions.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I can barely remember the 80's, and yet i was at the party.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:37:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Give me a break.

Crime was out of control

View Quote
I didn't give a shit about any of this in the 80s.  I was just getting drunk, getting laid and having fun.  Until I enlisted.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Who can forget?

Link Posted: 9/25/2019 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I was a teen in the 80's.

That decade destroyed music, and MTV destroyed our civilization.
Buncha parachute pants wearing jackasses.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#45]
The 80's were the cat's ass. I wish I could live in that time over and over.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

GD Logic:  "My circumstances sucked, therefore everyone else's circumstances sucked."

Talk about being a prisoner of your own personal experiences....
View Quote
He did have his own well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nope.  No one here has ever made fun of a great ancestor of mine.

No toys?

You sound like you can't make up your mind as to whether your bleak life sucked, or whether it was an idyllic time of country livng, swimming holes, and home-cooked meals.

Make up your mind and stick to your script.

View Quote
No. No in that Snowden thread you got all uppity because some dude waa talking Bout some Greek ancestor of yours.

You also didn't appreciate people putting words in your mouth so don't put them in mine.

I never said life was "bleak"  You did that.

My thesis was the 80s weren't some Roman Orgy where our Leader was infallible and everyone was loaded.  I was also pointing out that things weren't so easy as people think.

I am just saying that Reagan wasn't that great of a president and everything wasn't all that glamorous.

All I hear in these threads is people going on about Reagan, getting drunk, or having some toy.

I was merely trying to say what was, both good and bad.  It was 50/50 split.  We had some tough times but we got through it.  I never cared about what city kids had.

I made do.

I dont regret that time of my life but dont want to relive it.  To be fair, Mondale wouldnt have been any better. But it doesnt make Reagan suck any less.

I believe you all are wearing your rose tinted lenses.
The 80s were tough for me and a lot of farm kids and no Republican, especially Reagan, seemed to care. Not many Dems either.

But then again, while I didnt have the latest toys or fashions.  I got to hunt alone with an M1 Carbine wearing my old man's old jungle woodlands while most kids were into Nintendo and I got to learn to drive at age 8 so I could help with the truck.

Not seeimg how Reagan is to thank for it.  And like I said....once a month or so, someone would leave their TV on HBO or MTV all day and give us tapes of it.  TV reception was poor even with a roof mounted antennae. Mostly listened to Radio which admittedly played good stuff.

But some of that was fun just because I was a kid.  But wearing old Nam camo and shooting turkey was fun indeed.  Rolled up legs, rolled up sleeves, felt like silk jammies, cowboy boots, and my Baltimore Colts ballcap.

Again, no thanks to Reagan or even Boy George.

But I like having a smartphone, an M4, and like the 80s best now through a playlist or a movie marathon.

Because again, Tainted blood was out there, Crime was still way worse than now, families suffered, medical technology was nothing that it is today, and McDonalds doesnt have  smoking section anymore.

I just have no desire to relive a time I already lived through once.  It's like 50 year old men still bragging about a touchdown they made in high school.

Sad.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Great time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top