Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2021 7:56:14 AM EDT
Absolute ripoff. The same hoodie in blue or another color is $50 or so, with some reflective material and bright yellow dye, it's well over $200.00. Don't mind paying extra for the extra work and material but that damn well isn't another $150 bucks worth of anything and it's not like the quality of anything on it to include the zipper is better.

Sheesh...........
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Now look at FR clothing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:58:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

Yeah, I have to get that too............

At the least it has to be natural material. [cotton/wool]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

I hope to finish my career without ever needing to test out just how good my FR clothing is.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

First post and all.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My buddy calls it "slave yellow."
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#7]
OSHA requires it, companies are footing the bill 90% of the time.  Just like when you get insurance involved, price goes up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Got one of these years ago

It’s too much fun.

People think I am a cop!  Call me “officer” and everything.

Funny how few realize it’s a UK police jacket.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Absolute ripoff. The same hoodie in blue or another color is $50 or so, with some reflective material and bright yellow dye, it's well over $200.00. Don't mind paying extra for the extra work and material but that damn well isn't another $150 bucks worth of anything and it's not like the quality of anything on it to include the zipper is better.

Sheesh...........
View Quote

Your employer should be providing all safety equipment and clothing.
Mine Does
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine Does
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh...........

Mine Does

Doesn’t make it “not a rip-off”.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mine Does
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sheesh...........

Mine Does

We get a clothing allowance which was decently generous right up until Hi Vis started to be required. For the newer guys, a couple Hi Vis sweatshirts can wipe out most of their clothing allowance.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

We get a clothing allowance which was decently generous right up until Hi Vis started to be required. For the newer guys, a couple Hi Vis sweatshirts can wipe out most of their clothing allowance.
View Quote
Your company is either ripping you off then or is partnered with a shitty company for hi-vis gear. I do sales of safety gear for a major company that is a supplier of this type of work wear, and I can tell you it's not nearly as expensive as you guys are saying. My guess is either your company is giving an "allowance" and then marking it way up through their procurement system to appear to be giving you more but they really aren't (very common) or they are partnered with uline for this gear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/5/594580_ts.jpg

It’s too much fun.

View Quote

Shoot, I wear a bright colored Aerostich one piece on a motorcycle, and am sometimes too lazy to take it off for a quick stop.  A number of people think it's anything from oilfield to firefighter, to something else super official.

Nope, it's just sturdy, handy, and makes people ask WTF.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Wal Mart has tons of cheap t-shirt and jackets in safety orange and yellow.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#15]
FPNI again!

Showed up with a crew for 1 shift at a biodiesel outfit in BFE. They didn't specify FR and it wasn't in the bid. Full FR, outdoor winter work, plus FR rated PPE.
That bill with overnight shipping to BFE for a 9 man crew was well over $40K after 15% markup. lol.
The guys were ecstatic to get all new Carhartt FR jackets, overalls, shirts, everything. Bit of a "bonus" which is nice for an out of town 1 shift plus travel job.
They'll probably never use them for FR work again either. Only the veterans bring their FR back to jobs, drove me nuts. Shit's expensive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Part of it is certainly the increased cost for reflective material, the dye is likely more expensive and then some additional labor.

The big whopper.....

Vast amounts are bought by companies and governments; so the sellers charge the "corporate" level (maximum amount possible); and when you have to buy out of your wallet, you get his with that pricing.

If there is flexibility for what your requirements are, I know they are HATED here, but Sportsmans Guide often has brand new surplus American and Euro Hi Vis clothing. WAY cheaper.

I got this Belgian Post Gore-Tex for 50 bucks, brand new.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

2 Pack of used German hi vis vests to pull over clothing  $15

Go full Liberian civil warrior with this 50 buck hi vis life jacket

Also, look at Big Lots and even D-Gen (Dollar General), sometimes they have hi vis items.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Lol just over here laughing at you in my FR clothing...
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Can you wear your stuff and just put a safety yellow overgarment on?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

Or better yet, Nomex.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or better yet, Nomex.
View Quote
I have to wear Nomex in the field but never have had to wear hi vis. They last a really long time if you're not out working in it all day every day. Some of the guys in the plants though it looks like their nomex is nearly transparent.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#22]
People in Houston who opened safety equipment stores make bank.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was a utility contractor I had tons of both cotton and polyester t-shirts in safety orange or yellow colors. We'd wear yellow in the fall so people didn't think we were hunting. I also had, and still have, a Carhartt jacket like this:

https://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-hoodies-sweatshirts/High-Visibility-Zip-Front-Class-3-Sweatshirt-100503

I don't think I paid more than $50 for it but that was several years ago.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Rated clothing ain’t cheap but I sure as hell have never spent $200 on a sweatshirt. I Wear hiviz every day. If you are spending $200 on a sweatshirt. You need to Shop around .
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It’s too much fun.

View Quote

It’s a jacket that says police on it.  What do you expect people to think?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Shoot, I wear a bright colored Aerostich one piece on a motorcycle, and am sometimes too lazy to take it off for a quick stop.  A number of people think it's anything from oilfield to firefighter, to something else super official.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s too much fun.

Similar experience here.

And those Aerostich suits are damn near hurricane proof.  All the rain this hemisphere can throw at you.  Flying 2x4, maybe not.  But, way better than the silly fashionista stuff where you'd have to stop, put the WPB liner on under the riding shell, and then resume.  It's an insult to riding and physics.  Impressive.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Part of it is certainly the increased cost for reflective material, the dye is likely more expensive and then some additional labor.

The big whopper.....

Vast amounts are bought by companies and governments; so the sellers charge the "corporate" level (maximum amount possible); and when you have to buy out of your wallet, you get his with that pricing.

If there is flexibility for what your requirements are, I know they are HATED here, but Sportsmans Guide often has brand new surplus American and Euro Hi Vis clothing. WAY cheaper.

I got this Belgian Post Gore-Tex for 50 bucks, brand new.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38726/Jacket_PNG-1870157.JPG
View Quote

I don’t get the SG hate, they honour backorders, and during the last panic they were one of the most reasonably priced outfits for ammo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#28]
The ripoff is having to wear this shit to begin with. Hi Vis should only be required for certain things. When everyone is wearing it, it becomes background noise, just like equipment beepers.

There is no logical safety reason to have to wear a vest, hard hat and safety glasses when working in a finished unit at a hotel full of guests.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#29]
What's funny is places like Australia where so many people are required to wear day glow safety clothes that nobody pays any attention to it anymore. Fire resistant clothing is generally a bit of a waste as well unless it's something like Nomax; a couple of good washes and the retardant starts getting washed out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Similar experience here.

And those Aerostich suits are damn near hurricane proof.  All the rain this hemisphere can throw at you.  Flying 2x4, maybe not.  But, way better than the silly fashionista stuff where you'd have to stop, put the WPB liner on under the riding shell, and then resume.  It's an insult to riding and physics.  Impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s too much fun.

Similar experience here.

And I'm finally on a bike that costs more than my gear does!  That's when you know you've arrived.  Can't believe I didn't get one a decade ago.

Also, the construction guys I see here in hi-vis all wear the lightweight vests over whatever they are wearing, supplied, I assume, by the company who's name is on the vest.  Maybe because it's hotter than hell most of the year?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I term the color, slave yellow.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FPNI again!

Showed up with a crew for 1 shift at a biodiesel outfit in BFE. They didn't specify FR and it wasn't in the bid. Full FR, outdoor winter work, plus FR rated PPE.
That bill with overnight shipping to BFE for a 9 man crew was well over $40K after 15% markup. lol.
The guys were ecstatic to get all new Carhartt FR jackets, overalls, shirts, everything. Bit of a "bonus" which is nice for an out of town 1 shift plus travel job.
They'll probably never use them for FR work again either. Only the veterans bring their FR back to jobs, drove me nuts. Shit's expensive.
View Quote

I had a project working for a metro subway system years ago and they had a third rail with something like 14,000 amps in place, which we were required to be safety trained for. I really needed new work boots and so did about half my crew, so I told the contract administrator that I needed extra money to buy the entire crew some special boots rated for electrical hazards “to protect them from the third rail “.

There is no boot on the planet that can prevent you from exploding if you touch a third rail, but we all had some shiny new Red Wings that year.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I get $825 a year for FR.  That buys roughly 5 shirts and 5 pairs of pants.  That includes boot money.  Thankfully, it's not my money.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's too much fun.

People think I am a cop!  Call me "officer" and everything.

Funny how few realize it's a UK police jacket.
View Quote

Just walk in places and say "ere! Whats all this then!"

On a related note it dosent matter how much Hi-Vis you wear the average American driver will still try to kill you or drive his car right into the back of the giant yellow excavator with the strobe lights.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It’s too much fun.

View Quote

You play dress up?

Do you have mac-sog and ranger tabs on your backpack too?
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote

F. P. N. I.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I hope to finish my career without ever needing to test out just how good my FR clothing is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.

All the fire resistant crap I have had to use over the years was not fire resistant.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#39]
I worked with a guy, many years ago, who was obsessed with his work clothing allowance and would go to the special industrial supply store that sold it, just so he could find a way to spend every penny of it on high vis, navy blue dorky pants, blue mechanic coveralls, giant steel toe boots, sun, rain, and cold hats...all kinds of reflective vests, reflective gloves with a red circle on the palm...you name it.  All absurdly bulky like it was built one size fits all and out of the roughest cheapest material.  

He was the inventory, receipts, and records keeping guy.  He sat at a desk all day and maybe went to the field one day a month...and just to check that work was done...

His fellow employees walked around in cargo pants, polo shirts, and merrils.  

It was comical.  His truck was equally equipped...every tool known to man...most still in the box.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
A cheap/orange or yellow Hi-Vis vest, some sites specify the color, is enough to cover the requirements. (Some places want crane guys in orange while everyone else in in yellow for an example).  My company provides vests, if you want other Hi-Vis gear it's up to the employee to buy what they want.

If you want to see expensive price Flame Resistant/Hi-Vis gear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Now look at FR clothing.
View Quote
that was my first thought too!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All the fire resistant crap I have had to use over the years was not fire resistant.
View Quote

That's because it's fire retardant, not resistant.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Once everybody and everything is hi vis, nobody and nothing will be visible.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's because it's fire retardant, not resistant.
View Quote
Somebody better tell OSHA that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

2 Pack of used German hi vis vests to pull over clothing  $15

Go full Liberian civil warrior with this 50 buck hi vis life jacket

Also, look at Big Lots and even D-Gen (Dollar General), sometimes they have hi vis items.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#46]
We get a hoodie or t shirts every couple of years .

I keep telling the chick in charge of it , that the safety green shit is useless in the woods ( the majority of my work) , and to get the orange .

6 green hoodies/tshirts  later

I just buy my own .
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A cheap/orange or yellow Hi-Vis vest, some sites specify the color, is enough to cover the requirements. (Some places want crane guys in orange while everyone else in in yellow for an example).  My company provides vests, if you want other Hi-Vis gear it's up to the employee to buy what they want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have to do FR also and we have to have the company logo on the outside of whatever clothing we wear. [shirts, coats, hoodies etc.] I wish I could just buy any old Hi Vis stuff. We can get the vests but they are hideous. Plus, I work inside a lot other then on call/emergency outside work.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#48]
***Laughs at you in FR/ARC***

Here, knock yourself out
FR rape page
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The ripoff is having to wear this shit to begin with. Hi Vis should only be required for certain things. When everyone is wearing it, it becomes background noise, just like equipment beepers.

There is no logical safety reason to have to wear a vest, hard hat and safety glasses when working in a finished unit at a hotel full of guests.
View Quote
My boss wanted everyone to wear hi vis shirts so he could "see where his people are". Even though we already wear hi vis vests.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#50]
FPNI

FR Clothing is basically the sticker saying it's made with cotton.

Thank god we get a clothing allowance though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top