Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2016 4:28:11 PM EDT
Finger of God reference is from the movie Twister

It still amazes me what nature can produce.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
EF-5 is more of a hand sweep of God.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

one righteous backhand.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a good thing that couple had their potato with them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Why does the video loop half way though?

That's my only question.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A smallish tornado blew through my grandads neighborhood. It moved the garage over on the foundation about 2 inches, sucked several of the contents out of it...... Behind his house was a huge bluff, ran maybe 400 feet up, heavily wooded. We were walking that bluff about a week later....looked up in a tree, there hanging 20' off the ground, half way up that heavily wooded hillside, was a "trouble light", it's cord was looped over a branch.......I climbed up the tree and managed to get it down. We took it back to the house.....plugged it in....bulb was still good......Tornados are funny damn things.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Took you that long to correct the title typo, eh?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Took you that long to correct the title typo, eh?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Jesus how many times has Moore been hit?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://youtu.be/W19qa-AK8Dk

Jesus how many times has Moore been hit?

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#12]
isnt there a theoretical F6?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Anything above the upper limit of F5 would be, I suspect, an F6.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Scary stuff for sure
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
That thread VooDooChile started in 2013 on Moore took a surprising turn
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The end of that where they find the dog...

Gets mighty dusty in here around then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Especially the whole part where no one bothered to help her lift that shit up off it. Stay classy media folks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#17]
God's Eraser.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not really.

EF5 is anything >200mph wind speeds and
Total destruction of buildings.

Strong framed, well built houses leveled off foundations and swept away; steel-reinforced concrete structures are critically damaged; tall buildings collapse or have severe structural deformations; some cars, trucks and train cars can be thrown approximately 1 mile (1.6 kilometres).

They'd have to say something like "200mph-275mph is an EF5" and an "EF6 is >275mph."  But then they'd have to reclassify the damage output as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
20 or so years ago an F5 went through Jarrell, TX.  Swept through a high dollar neighborhood.  Those houses were swept off their foundations.  The neighborhood was swept clean.  Never found a family of 5.  All that remained of some vehicles that were swept up were the battered engine blocks.

Horrendous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Central_Texas_tornado_outbreak
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
20 or so years ago an F5 went through Jarrell, TX.  Swept through a high dollar neighborhood.  Those houses were swept off their foundations.  The neighborhood was swept clean.  Never found a family of 5.  All that remained of some vehicles that were swept up were the battered engine blocks.

Horrendous.
View Quote

May 27 1997 Jarrell, Texas 27 1997 Central Texas tornado outbreak – Produced some of the most extreme damage ever documented.[10] An entire subdivision of well-built homes was swept completely away with very little debris remaining. Some of the homes were well-bolted to their foundations. Long expanses of pavement was torn from roads, and a large swath of ground was scoured out to a depth of 18 in (0.46 m). Vehicles were torn apart and scattered across fields, and a recycling plant was obliterated. Tornado was very slow-moving, which may have exacerbated the destruction to some extent.[10][165]

However, Greensburg still kind of rules the roost as far as damage:

May 4 2007 Greensburg, Kansas 11 May 2007 tornado outbreak – This tornado destroyed 95% of the town, including seven well-built homes with anchor bolts that were swept away. Vehicles were thrown hundreds of feet, and trees were completely denuded and debarked.[175] This was the first tornado to have been rated EF5 after the retirement of the original Fujita Scale in the United States February of 2007.

Fairly small town at 1.5 square miles and only 800-1000 people but it was virtually wiped off the entire map.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Xenia, Ohio F5 from April 3rd, 1974 that killed 32

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
A buddy I am staying with in may the last Moore tornado did a bit of redecorating to his house

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]
The 40th anniversary of the Jordan, Iowa F5 is this June. It narrowly missed my hometown, Boone, and completely wiped out Jordan. Fortunately no one was killed. There are only a couple houses there now. My mom remembers seeing it on her way into town.

This was the first time an anti-cyclonic tornado was filmed and then studied. There was the large F5 parent tornado along with at least two other smaller tornados accompanying it, one of them being anti-cyclonic.

https://youtu.be/YGrhwlYSWUU

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

one righteous backhand.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

one righteous backhand.

The pimp slap of the Lord
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A buddy I am staying with in may the last Moore tornado did a bit of redecorating to his house  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post "should I leave"

Page 15  "Im leaving

Page 30  "House destroyed"
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#27]
We had a tornado pass over our house one night, back in the Ozarks when I was in my early teens.  A friend staying over for the night wet the bed, and our dog decided it was a good time to squirt out her puppies.  Sounded like the proverbial freight train going over, luckily no damage at our place.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#28]
What really amazes me is what tornados do to mature timber.  100 y.o. oak trees twisted apart like celery.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#29]
The garland one I believe was an F4 but did a solid number on the area I used to live
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Geez. God sure likes fingering innocent people. Whatta dick.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Jarrell, TX
Three views of damage in the vicinity of Double Creek Drive. The image at left was taken on the fringe of the damage swath and serves as a control shot for the original appearance of the area. The image at center shows severe grass scouring at the edge of the main damage path, and the image at right shows the complete removal of all vegetation in the worst affected area.

http://extremeplanet.me/2012/06/26/aerial-damage-from-the-f5-jarrell-tornado-the-most-intense-tornado-damage-ever-photographed/
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#32]
We were about 100 yards away from an F3 in OK around 96. I can't imagine what it's like to experience one of these monsters.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sitting at the dinner table with three survivors of an EF-5 tornado.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#34]
F2 is more the finger of God.   If you've ever seen the damage or stood in the aftermath of an F5, it's more like the "fuck all this shit in this general area".
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

yep, was just about to post that, a very "happy" ending.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:26:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't get dusty in my room.  My tears were due to the actual emotion of the situation.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Jarrell, TX
Three views of damage in the vicinity of Double Creek Drive. The image at left was taken on the fringe of the damage swath and serves as a control shot for the original appearance of the area. The image at center shows severe grass scouring at the edge of the main damage path, and the image at right shows the complete removal of all vegetation in the worst affected area.

https://extremeplanet.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/jarrell-f5-tornado-damage-junga.png

http://extremeplanet.me/2012/06/26/aerial-damage-from-the-f5-jarrell-tornado-the-most-intense-tornado-damage-ever-photographed/
View Quote

I have family that went to school in Jarrell at the time of the tornado.  I vividly remember having a swimming party at my grandma's house the summer before that tornado with several of my cousin's friends who didn't make it to see the following summer.  I saw firsthand the aftermath of that tornado about 5 days after the event.  I cannot describe the damage nor can I express in words what it felt like.  I was awestruck.  To see a paved road suddenly drop to caliche then back to pavement is amazing.  To know a tornado is capable of that is awe inspiring.  The cattle left in the fields were devoid of hair in most cases while others were covered in a thick mud.  It was truly an amazing event.  What some don't realize is that 8 years and 10 days prior to the devastating F5 another, much weaker, tornado did a relatively significant amount of damage in the town proper, only a few miles from the F5's path.  I saw the damage for that one first hand within hours.  We had relatives who lost a house to the '89 twister.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I was a couple hours in front of the 99 Moore storm heading back north from DFW. We left early based on what the weather geeks were saying would pop. Good thing, otherwise I would have been in it or right behind it.
The lift I saw in southern OK was impressive and told my passanger that we didnt not want to be here in a couple hours so I bumped the cruise up a couple. I passed on getting gas on OKC wanting to put some more miles. Ended up having to stop in Guthrie for gas about the time warnings were starting to go up in Norman. We only stopped long enough to fuel up and hit the can. Hit the road and bumped the cruise up again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link to thread?

Quoted:

Page 15  "Im leaving

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page 15  "Im leaving

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have family that went to school in Jarrell at the time of the tornado.  I vividly remember having a swimming party at my grandma's house the summer before that tornado with several of my cousin's friends who didn't make it to see the following summer.  I saw firsthand the aftermath of that tornado about 5 days after the event.  I cannot describe the damage nor can I express in words what it felt like.  I was awestruck.  To see a paved road suddenly drop to caliche then back to pavement is amazing.  To know a tornado is capable of that is awe inspiring.  The cattle left in the fields were devoid of hair in most cases while others were covered in a thick mud.  It was truly an amazing event.  What some don't realize is that 8 years and 10 days prior to the devastating F5 another, much weaker, tornado did a relatively significant amount of damage in the town proper, only a few miles from the F5's path.  I saw the damage for that one first hand within hours.  We had relatives who lost a house to the '89 twister.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jarrell, TX

https://extremeplanet.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/jarrell-f5-tornado-damage-junga.png

I had just gotten home from school and watched the news reports

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I have lived through 3 tornados in my life..............one passed within about 200 yards of where I was, one was about 500 yards away and came very near and the worst one came right near our house when I was a kid. All the stories about it sounding like a freight train are true............only this one sounded like a jet on afterburner hovering over the house. The same storm cell spawned tornados that ransacked Resaca, Georgia back in the early 70's.............I don't wish that on anyone
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I was taking a night class at a local college when It took a direct hit. The announcement came to head for the bathrooms. Dumbass me headed outside to take a look. Won't do that shit again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#43]
April 3rd 1964,an F5 twister hit the NW side of Wichita Falls and Sheppard AFB,killing 7 and injuring over 100.
April 10th 1979,a large F4 destroyed the southern side of Wichita Falls,killing 44 and injuring over 1,000.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I've seen a lot in my life. but feeling a F4 and above scaled Tornado cannot be explained to people. walking over the ruins is humbling beyond words.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A smallish tornado blew through my grandads neighborhood. It moved the garage over on the foundation about 2 inches, sucked several of the contents out of it...... Behind his house was a huge bluff, ran maybe 400 feet up, heavily wooded. We were walking that bluff about a week later....looked up in a tree, there hanging 20' off the ground, half way up that heavily wooded hillside, was a "trouble light", it's cord was looped over a branch.......I climbed up the tree and managed to get it down. We took it back to the house.....plugged it in....bulb was still good......Tornados are funny damn things.....
View Quote

I can go get my light from the garage, accidently bump it on the way to my jeep...doesn't work.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:53:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes.
they say that one or both of the Moore storms met that criteria, I believe.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:56:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Horrendous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Central_Texas_tornado_outbreak
View Quote

we remember that one.
some states remember Hurricanes.  but those of us in Tornado Alley remember tornado's that hit in other states, because we fear and respect them. Wichita Falls and several of those towns in Kansas that were wiped completely out. erased. I have the footage memorized.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Easily the most frightening tornado video I've ever seen, especially since you never see the tornado:

Joplin, May 22, 2011. Absolutely terrifying.

What it looked like the next day:

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had two right up to the house and then one jumped over and the other skirted around...took a large jackpine about 2ft in diameter twisted the trunk into a corkscrew...flattened many trees
on the property and a for a few miles down the highway... didnt touch the house other than a few shingles.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
F2 is more the finger of God.   If you've ever seen the damage or stood in the aftermath of an F5, it's more like the "fuck all this shit in this general area".
View Quote

I'd say it's like Sodom and Gomorrah level wrath of God
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top