Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M4 Sherman was not supposed to fight other tanks, it was supposed to be infantry support with the 75mm medium velocity gun firing HE at bunkers, buildings, and emplacements.

M10, M18 Hellcat and M36 Jackson were what were supposed to actually fight other tanks.

Look how that worked out.

It WILL be employed to fight other tanks.
View Quote

one on one it did not work so well since less armor and crew protection.   In the ambush roll though they were pretty effective dug in and hull down etc.  

not sure how they plan to use these in the longrun, but just because its intended for whatever purpose does not mean it won't get used for everything they never meant it to. You run with what you got when the fight comes.  The humvee was just ok, till it got asked to do so much, then they started blowing the shit out of them
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
except for the part where the 1st batch of 47 sent to Ukraine were all destroyed/damaged in less than a month (at least that's what I read in the big thread)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah its funny how a vehicle that was derided as a 'laughing stock' / disaster turned out to be so effective still kicking ass almost 45 years later.  combat proven.

but i guess there's still people hatin' on the M4 / M16 / AR15 too...
except for the part where the 1st batch of 47 sent to Ukraine were all destroyed/damaged in less than a month (at least that's what I read in the big thread)

Those brads weren’t cat kills right off the rip. A lot ran over mines, rebuilt and sent back to fight with limited casualties. There was a Brad that took a T72 round through and through the troop compartment no causalities. It was fixed and back in the fight. I’m pretty close with the 47th IN guys.

It took the Russians having to stack AT mines on top of artillery rounds to have the desired effects. They turned to just shooting AT missiles at them. Brads we’re killing T72s with tows and tearing up Russian INF with 25 HE.

A lot of 47th guys are alive because of the Bradley.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Up armored howitzer/arty piece.
View Quote

Not even close.
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The 105mm can kill a t90. We found out too late that the original m1 just needed better ammo. The assumption was that Russian armor was ubotaniun, in reality it's no better than a m60.
View Quote

The 105mm had a 1/4 chance of penetrating the front of a T-72 in 1985. The T-90M has almost twice the armor thickness that a 105mm can penetrate, if you consider the ERA. When the US got ahold of late model Soviet armor after the wall fell they shot it and entered a crash development process to build a new round that could penetrate it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Would be interesting to take the new asserted definition of tank, evaluate it against historical tanks, and find out how many were never apparently tanks after all.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There's no reason to use a 40 when the XM913 and its 50x228 is the future standard for the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The M10 should have been a medium tank with a 120mm and enough armor to fight a T-90 in a pinch if not as the workhorse of a combined arms breach. Or it should have been a little sports car of a thing with a 50mm. One or the other.

Agreed on that part. 35 tons with a 40mm. Maybe throw in a Javelin launcher. Faster, lighter, bridges are no problem, transports easier, and if it's really for infantry a 40mm is plenty.

There's no reason to use a 40 when the XM913 and its 50x228 is the future standard for the US.

OK. Done.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The 105mm had a 1/4 chance of penetrating the front of a T-72 in 1985. The T-90M has almost twice the armor thickness that a 105mm can penetrate, if you consider the ERA. When the US got ahold of late model Soviet armor after the wall fell they shot it and entered a crash development process to build a new round that could penetrate it.
View Quote
From the videos out of Ukraine, it seems that front to front tank engagements are about the least likely to occur. Oblique shot opportunities to the side seem to be the most common. We saw at the beginning of the conflict that Ukrainian 30mm cannon fire had no problem tearing up T72s from the side
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#8]
So it's an "assault weapon" according to the Army.

Very convenient to countering leftist assault weapon bans.

Will make for some great memes. "Ban assault weapons, not my AR15"
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From the videos out of Ukraine, it seems that front to front tank engagements are about the least likely to occur. Oblique shot opportunities to the side seem to be the most common. We saw at the beginning of the conflict that Ukrainian 30mm cannon fire had no problem tearing up T72s from the side
View Quote

You have to plan for the worst shot, after all there are three guys in that tank whose pay and lives both depend on keeping the front towards you. And I’d caution about drawing too many lessons from that war, nobody there is fighting like we would.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Would be interesting to take the new asserted definition of tank, evaluate it against historical tanks, and find out how many were never apparently tanks after all.
View Quote

It would.

I'm no expert on 'tanks', but I don't recall any 'tanks' designed purely as infantry support.

The Sheridan filled that role in the post Vietnam 82nd, but it technically wasn't a 'tank' as the Army called it an Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle.  Every non armor person that saw it called it a tank though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It would.

I'm no expert on 'tanks', but I don't recall any 'tanks' designed purely as infantry support.

The Sheridan filled that role in the post Vietnam 82nd, but it technically wasn't a 'tank' as the Army called it an Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle.  Every non armor person that saw it called it a tank though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would.

That is an older concept, there once were infantry support tanks and break through or penetration tanks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It would.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would.

The original tanks in WWI were infantry support vehicles.  They weren’t fast or reliable enough for deep penetration, nor had the doctrine or organization been developed for that.

In WWII the British had cruiser tanks and infantry tanks.  What do you suppose the infantry tank was meant to do?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, Brads did the same thing in Iraq with their 25mm.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

IIRC, Brads did the same thing in Iraq with their 25mm.
View Quote

It really seems the the 25MM chain gun on the Brad is a very useful and effective weapon in many situations. Hopefully the new 50MM they are moving towards will be as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Could just be all of the lies our Government has been rolling out over the last three years.. but I have a nagging suspicion that this non-tanks primary design function is less international and more ..domestic.

Good chance that people in high levels of power.. right now are plotting the final solution for the American Patriots.

Commanding officers with blue hair and mutilated genitals don't view threats to American values the same way officers in the past may have.
View Quote

When people ask "Has G.D. completely Lost their f'ing minds?" ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Boom. Nailed it. Primary focus is urban pasification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could just be all of the lies our Government has been rolling out over the last three years.. but I have a nagging suspicion that this non-tanks primary design function is less international and more ..domestic.

Good chance that people in high levels of power.. right now are plotting the final solution for the American Patriots.

Commanding officers with blue hair and mutilated genitals don't view threats to American values the same way officers in the past may have.

Boom. Nailed it. Primary focus is urban pasification.

ED-209?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That is an older concept, there once were infantry support tanks and break through or penetration tanks.
View Quote

Going back far enough the Brits had at least three kinds of tanks at Cambrai. Male and female tanks for the breakthrough and light tanks for exploitation.  The M10 is specifically not meant for exploitation, or so we are told. Makes sense. Probably not what I would have spent $13m and 38t on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:28:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Aside from the definition aspect, does anyone have the full story of the development here? Was it an outshoot of the MGS effort with the Stryker? Seems logical, as if there had been deliberate discussion of how to offset its limitations without getting too heavy.

Other than legal implications, adopting a "light tank" for support to light units is also admitting a failure in MBT doctrine.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Something to keep in mind is the current version of the Abrams is nearly 75 tons. So this thing is about 30 tons lighter. That should allow easier deployment to theatre and also better mobility within theatre - with a lot fewer road and bridge restrictions. It might actually be a useful vehicle even without the greater protection of a full blown MBT. I am surprised they did not use a smaller and lighter turret with an autoloader though. If the vehicle works out OK I could see a Bradley replacement using the same drive train and suspension components.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
You paid for its transition.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Do we know if this vehicle has either a steel or aluminum hull and turret?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For Better or Worse we found out pretty quick that the Bradley is a better Tank Killer than the Abrams is. And the end the Abrams has been more of a assault gun than a tank in actual combat so why not make a assault gun?

Upgrading to the Rhinemetall 120mm was seen as the only possible way that we would ever be able to punch through Soviet armor and we spent billions upon billions of dollars to do that only to find out that the original 120 mm gun would have done just fine. Meanwhile the rest of the world still makes crap ton of Highly Effective 155 mm ammo. Along with that this thing is much lighter weight much easier to repair much more mobile and is more fitting for what a future war is likely to have especially with what we're seeing in ukraine. Mast armored columns won't have value in the future flying it.
View Quote

This is the dumbest thing I’ll read today
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#23]
So, basically a modern Sherman?  Infantry support / not a tank, and easily killed by anything with even minimal anti armor capability.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wait... What?  This is confusing.  Did you mix up some of the numbers here? This all seems pretty wrong to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For Better or Worse we found out pretty quick that the Bradley is a better Tank Killer than the Abrams is. And the end the Abrams has been more of a assault gun than a tank in actual combat so why not make a assault gun?

Upgrading to the Rhinemetall 120mm was seen as the only possible way that we would ever be able to punch through Soviet armor and we spent billions upon billions of dollars to do that only to find out that the original 120 mm gun would have done just fine. Meanwhile the rest of the world still makes crap ton of Highly Effective 155 mm ammo. Along with that this thing is much lighter weight much easier to repair much more mobile and is more fitting for what a future war is likely to have especially with what we're seeing in ukraine. Mast armored columns won't have value in the future flying it.

Wait... What?  This is confusing.  Did you mix up some of the numbers here? This all seems pretty wrong to me.

Starting to think this was parody.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So, basically a modern Sherman?  Infantry support / not a tank, and easily killed by anything with even minimal anti armor capability.
View Quote

The Sherman had frontal armor equivalent to a tiger.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Sherman was a good tank. It's also the only tank in WW2 that fought in just about every corner of the globe and did it well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:44:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It would.

View Quote

the Sheridan has always been considered a light tank.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

By who? You?

FDC posted exactly what the LIN identified it as within the Army.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So this is a trans-tank?

Weighs less, weaker armament, & costs millions more than a real tank.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

By who? You?

View Quote

Light tank

Light tank 2.0

Yet again.......a light tank

Light tank in Vietnam

Still a light tank

And once again........a light tank

Articles in Armor magazine call it a tank

RP Hunnicutt calls it a light tank in Sheridan: A History Of The American Light Tank, Volume 2

So it appears one or two people other than me call the Sheridan a light tank.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Light tank

Light tank 2.0

Light tank in Vietnam

Still a light tank

RP Hunnicutt calls it a light tank in Sheridan: A History Of The American Light Tank, Volume 2

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Light tank

Light tank 2.0

Light tank in Vietnam

Still a light tank

Every single link of yours lists it as "Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle" as FDC stated, which is what it is.  Words mean things. The program name and assignment on the MTOE declare what it is, not you or article authors.

The fact that people simplify it by calling it a light tank does not mean it actually is, or that it is not what FDC (and all of your links) state it is.

I guess it's too much to ask that you read your own cites.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It's almost as if he addressed what you are claiming.

Quoted:
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
At 42 tons, it's as heavy as a T-72B with less armor, smaller gun, slower and about 12x the price.

Sure it has far superior fire control and has newer composite armor, but it will burn just as bright as all those T-72/80/90 when fighting anyone that not arabs with decent equipment.

Whos' bright idea is to have a front engine chassis with its massive weight penalty? On a supposedly lighter tank!
View Quote

It wasn't made for tank on tank battles.. it's an infantry fire support vehicle
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Every single link of yours lists it as "Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle" as FDC stated, which is what it is.  Words mean things. The program name and assignment on the MTOE declare what it is, not you or article authors.

The fact that people simplify it by calling it a light tank does not mean it actually is, or that it is not what FDC (and all of your links) state it is.

I guess it's too much to ask that you read your own cites.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/Screenshot_2023-09-04_134810_png-2942680.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/Screenshot_2023-09-04_134752_png-2942681.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/Screenshot_2023-09-04_134703_png-2942683.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/Screenshot_2023-09-04_134633_png-2942684.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/45449/Screenshot_2023-09-04_135332_png-2942690.JPG

It's almost as if he addressed what you are claiming.

View Quote

By reading my own cites; I see that it is called either a "light tank" or "tank" in each one to include the link to Armor.  So, it is light tank even if the Army hung a different name on it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So, it is light tank even if the Army hung a different name on it.
View Quote

Technically it's not, as FDC and your articles pointed out to you.  But you are free to make up whatever you feel.  

The editorial portions refer to it as a tank, the references to formal nomenclature do not.  So that first part is made up.  None of your cites are formal Army sources.

It was actually crewed by scouts versus tankers, and for a reason, which is why words mean things.  Is the M3 CFV a light tank? Both were designed for scouts to use in recon missions, and focused heavily on ATGM employment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You have to plan for the worst shot, after all there are three guys in that tank whose pay and lives both depend on keeping the front towards you. And I’d caution about drawing too many lessons from that war, nobody there is fighting like we would.
View Quote

I can tell who hasn’t seen any NTC rotations.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The Sherman was a good tank. It's also the only tank in WW2 that fought in just about every corner of the globe and did it well.
View Quote

And it kicked the shit out of the T-34/85 in Korea.

Sherman was more than a match for the majority of Axis tanks.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Now this is a tank..
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad NTC rotations aren't real because Blackhorse generally curb stomps the rotational unit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Attachment Attached File

The Brad is one of the best armored vehicles that any country has ever built.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/87D543F5-C33B-475C-95CD-45D86133DAC9-476.gif

The Brad is one of the best armored vehicles that any country has ever built.
View All Quotes

Never served in the military and only go by what I read, but I have to agree with you. Aside from the Leftist media doing Leftist media things back during the build up to Desert Storm, I've never read anything overly critical about the Brad. If anything, it's only had stellar reviews, especially when compared to similar offerings from other countries that have seen combat.

Heck, IIRC, it was Bradleys that did a shitload of damage to the Republican Guard T-72s during the Battle of 73 Easting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you suggesting that the Army is wrong to put the thickest armor on the front of the tank or that at NTC you dig trenches and assault in 5 man sections?
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

By who? You?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By who? You?

Yup, never been a tank, Armored reconnaissance vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I still think that the CV90-120T with it's 120mm gun would have been the better choice

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Clankity-clank, looks like a tank
View Quote

AR-15s look like assault rifles, therefore, they're assault rifles.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clankity-clank, looks like a tank

Select fire isn't part of some quite arbitrary definition, it's the fundamental characteristic of the weapon.

Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Technically it's not, as FDC and your articles pointed out to you.  But you are free to make up whatever you feel.  

The editorial portions refer to it as a tank, the references to formal nomenclature do not.  So that first part is made up.  None of your cites are formal Army sources.

It was actually crewed by scouts versus tankers, and for a reason, which is why words mean things.  Is the M3 CFV a light tank? Both were designed for scouts to use in recon missions, and focused heavily on ATGM employment.
View Quote

I think "the first part" isn't made up, it's the historical term. The army nomenclature was created for some kind of army reason, no doubt.

So I think you're both kind of wrapped around the axle since you're both using the correct term for the vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

he army nomenclature was created for some kind of army reason, no doubt.

View Quote

Yes, because it was a reconnaissance vehicle, not a tank.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes, because it was a reconnaissance vehicle, not a tank.
View Quote

What I'm suggesting is that the army had abandoned the light tank and so the vehicle could not be called that.

Upon (very quick) investigation, I see that it does indeed seem to have been deployed only as a reconnaissance vehicle, even in vietnam. I wonder, because I couldn't find it in my brief skim of wiki, in what capacity it was used by the 82nd, and if they served a role other than reconnaissance there.

I don't understand why you're denying that it meets the standards of a light tank, as opposed to other armored recon vehicles like brads, m113s, or greyhound armored cars. I still think you're both right.

*I was a light guy, never mech or armor.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I don't understand why you're denying that it meets the standards of a light tank, as opposed to other armored recon vehicles like brads, m113s, or greyhound armored cars. I still think you're both right.
View Quote

What exactly are those standards?  Why doesn't an M3 CFV meet them?

The only knowns we have here are nomenclature and doctrine.  Everything else is made up.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top