Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Stavatti is a joke.   As near as I can tell, it's a couple of people who draw fantasy airplanes and nothing more.

They used to be based at my home field - KSGS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dumb question .....

Why replace the A-10 ?

Everything I read says "it's ___ yrs old we need a new plane ....

Why not build new A-10s ?

It's not like it's a pos . Build new ones replace old ones .
View Quote

Because the only sort of missions the A-10 is capable of in 2017 can be performed by a cheaper aircraft (which means we can get more of them) with cheaper operating costs (which means we can have more of them in the air over more places more often).
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I wasn't serious.  The B-25H fits the AR15.com spec sheet; two motors, preferably radials, and guns, lots of guns, guns pointing everywhere and shooting everything.

Still better than a helicopter, on the other hand.

Also, if had to choose, it's the A-26, which I've posted here before.  Just because I think it's a cooler airplane in just about aspect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I nominate the B-25H:

https://laststandonzombieisland.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/mort6.jpg?w=479

That site has several Mort Kunstler paintings of interest to Arfcomer's.  NSFW, and maybe GD.

The H didn't work as well as planned, the J with the 8 gun nose, 4 dorsal 50's ant the top turret pointed forward gave the gun nose J a total of 14 forward firing 50's that translates to 4,725,000 grains per minute! There's some serious ability to inflict some damage, throw some bombs and rockets into the fray and you have some serious ground support. While the H was a great concept, most were converted into gun nose J's in theater. As long as we're talking about medium bombers for cas, I'd put up the A/B26, gun nose or even better the Invader K's faster with just as much destructive power.

I wasn't serious.  The B-25H fits the AR15.com spec sheet; two motors, preferably radials, and guns, lots of guns, guns pointing everywhere and shooting everything.

Also, if had to choose, it's the A-26, which I've posted here before.  Just because I think it's a cooler airplane in just about aspect.

Gotcha, and I agree. Honestly would the A/B26 really be that bad of a choice? From what I've read the Onmark K models did pretty good for the limited use. My uncle flew B25's before being switched to A26's. He said there were allot of good points to the B25, but being such a old design, louder than hell inside, and allot slower it was vulnerable to concentrated heavy fire at low altitude. He did say that in all honesty it was the anti shipping role that did most in as there was withering fire from every direction and believe it or not most that were shot down wasn't plane failure but the pilots being hit.  He said said when they got Invaders it really changed everything, they also had to relearn how they straifed their targets as they started coming in wide open as speed was life and used overwhelming firepower. The big mod was adding the 4 blister guns as well as converting most of their 26's to carry addional 50's in the wings. He said the 3rd didn't like them like the 319th their complaint being pilot visibility but he said that was more of one pilot doing more verse two pilots, which makes sense, he did say once you got used to the addional work load they liked them allot better, even better than the A20's which were very popular as well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gotcha, and I agree. Honestly would the A/B26 really be that bad of a choice? From what I've read the Onmark K models did pretty good for the limited use. My uncle flew B25's before being switched to A26's. He said there were allot of good points to the B25, but being such a old design, louder than hell inside, and allot slower it was vulnerable to concentrated heavy fire at low altitude. He did say that in all honesty it was the anti shipping role that did most in as there was withering fire from every direction and believe it or not most that were shot down wasn't plane failure but the pilots being hit.  He said said when they got Invaders it really changed everything, they also had to relearn how they straifed their targets as they started coming in wide open as speed was life and used overwhelming firepower. The big mod was adding the 4 blister guns as well as converting most of their 26's to carry addional 50's in the wings. He said the 3rd didn't like them like the 319th their complaint being pilot visibility but he said that was more of one pilot doing more verse two pilots, which makes sense, he did say once you got used to the addional work load they liked them allot better, even better than the A20's which were very popular as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I nominate the B-25H:

https://laststandonzombieisland.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/mort6.jpg?w=479

That site has several Mort Kunstler paintings of interest to Arfcomer's.  NSFW, and maybe GD.

The H didn't work as well as planned, the J with the 8 gun nose, 4 dorsal 50's ant the top turret pointed forward gave the gun nose J a total of 14 forward firing 50's that translates to 4,725,000 grains per minute! There's some serious ability to inflict some damage, throw some bombs and rockets into the fray and you have some serious ground support. While the H was a great concept, most were converted into gun nose J's in theater. As long as we're talking about medium bombers for cas, I'd put up the A/B26, gun nose or even better the Invader K's faster with just as much destructive power.

I wreck shop in my A-20 in War Thunder so obviously that's the best choice
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stavatti is a joke.   As near as I can tell, it's a couple of people who draw fantasy airplanes and nothing more.

View Quote

Again, they have a piece of the rights of a real flying prototype plane that actually hits on a few points in today's market. (The Javelin).

All that anime vaporware keeps them in the news.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I understand the economic impetus to declare (as possibly opposed to fact) that a particular aircraft is capable in a number of roles.  Doesn't make it so, as I'm sure you understand.

OTOH, if the Army took over purely CAS aircraft, then the AF could build better, more purpose-built A/C since they did not have to perform the CAS role.  And the Army wouldn't have to build so many expensive helos to do the same job, or at least not so many.
View Quote
That's the crux.

The AF doesn't want to do CAS, never has.

But like the dog in the manger, they won't let the Army do it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed.  It's just, as I said in another post, we don't buy single purpose jets any more.

Since Vietnam the Air Force has gone from around 13,000 aircraft to 5,500.  You can't have those sort of declines in numbers while still holding onto a collection of boutique airframes.
View Quote

ah, so the solution to declining aircraft counts is to procure ridiculously expensive, short endurance aircraft.

It briefs well.

When planes cost 100 million dollars plus several million per aircraft O/M costs, the cost of pilots becomes budget dust.

You could have more planes if you bought cheaper ones.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Again, they have a piece of the rights of a real flying prototype plane that actually hits on a few points in today's market. (The Javelin).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That Javelin was designed to be a toy for guys who really want to buy a surplus F-18. It doesn't really have a future as a military aircraft,not as a trainer and certainly not for light attack.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That Javelin was designed to be a toy for guys who really want to buy a surplus F-18. It doesn't really have a future as a military aircraft,not as a trainer and certainly not for light attack.
View Quote

I already said something similar in an earlier post....but that is only true to a point. The goal and design was always to get the more lucrative military sales.  The market did not exist the first time around. I said in this thread already, the plan was to get civilian sales to keep things floating until military sales could be made.  ATG had military sales information available from the very beginning.

It is actually a viable design, especially when price is a primary buying motivation.  There is alsothe reality that an airframe was built and flown.  

I don't know what will happen but we do know what happened.  I can also assure you I have an intimate knowledge of the project when it was under ATG.  Now, not so much. (not at all)
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Powerful U.S. senator John McCain has lent his support to the idea of a new light attack plane. McCain’s proposed military reforms include acquiring 300 light attackers for the Air Force. Gen. Dave Goldfein, the Air Force’s chief of staff, said McCain’s proposal was a “great idea.”  

Just understand that "Great idea" translates into "SHIT HOT!!!  More flying billets for our zipper suited sun god brethren!" and nothing more.  The funds to buy and operate those 300 would be sucked into the F-35 black hole of cost overruns while there would be another 300 pilots in the AF waiting for their F-35 to arrive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:43:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sweet  
View Quote

The baby Brrrrt didn't sound too bad.  If they had more than two 50 cals or maybe even just two GAU-19s it would sound more impressive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]
dupe deleted
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The baby Brrrrt didn't sound too bad.  If they had more than two 50 cals or maybe even just two GAU-19s it would sound more impressive.
View Quote

Or you could, you know, leave the guns on the ground and have more fuel and/or useful ordnance....
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll never understand why people insist on keeping the GAU-8 on a successive aircraft after the A10. It's too big and heavy for the mission it needs to do; it doesn't take a 30mm gatling to attack goat herders and lightly armored targets. If a heavy armored target needs to be engaged they use hellfires anyways, so why bother carrying around all that extra size and weight?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll never understand why people insist on keeping the GAU-8 on a successive aircraft after the A10. It's too big and heavy for the mission it needs to do; it doesn't take a 30mm gatling to attack goat herders and lightly armored targets. If a heavy armored target needs to be engaged they use hellfires anyways, so why bother carrying around all that extra size and weight?
View Quote
Feels.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Air Tractor was working with the Air Force in the 2000's to convert one of their crop dusters into a ground attack plane.

When the old man who owned Air Tractor died, the plans just kinda fell apart. It looked promising too.
View Quote

The AT802 is flying in Libya and Yemen.  It got built, and bought.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Turboprop su34
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Best post of the thread. Well done. 
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
A former neighbor was a retired Naval Aviator and flew the A-1 Skyraider in both Korea and Vietnam. Get a beer in that man and he will still sing praises for that airplane.

ETA: This thread is very interesting to me, I appreciate the intelligent posts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:01:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Can I throw in, F Robert McNamara and the F-111.

When will the AF learn you can't have one airframe to do everything.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

A modernized version would be a fun exercise.  The engines become turbines; this will be the first problem in preserving weight and balance, the propeller plane is about where it needs to be already and the engine mounts are already long.  This is a good excuse to hang more horsepower on the airplane for more weight in the engines, gear boxes, and props.

The front end gets an AESA, and I'll guess that one from an F-18 will fit.  The bulkhead required will also add a little weight to help with the engine swap.

After that the trick is to avoid adding any more weight than absolutely necessary; we want an airplane with sparking climb rate.  Crew provisions will help (crew is reduced to two), and that's about the time we discover we're designing the wrong airframe unless that space can be put to good use.

Start at 37 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxj2Ugfm7Vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1gDQ71ZTGM
View Quote

The K seems like a pretty good starting point for the excercise. I know a turbine is preferred but is it mandatory? Thing is we have guns, bombs and rockets this airframe is full of win. If they can make a crop duster a attack plane the attack plane should be stellar.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top