Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I assume that most people here would not want to switch to the metric system.  What I want to know is:  Why not?
View Quote

The better question is perhaps, why bother?  We have no issues with imperial, don't fix what's not broken.  Look at Britain, they made the switch and everyone just ignores it and continues to use imperial.  Just catering to forieners and leftists by switching.  This is America and we use Imperial.  Also, Metric is great for really precise measurements, especially of tiny things, great for science and medicine,mbut for everyone else it is a pain in the ass.  Here is a simple example: how tall are you?  How many feet and inches?  That was easy wasn't it?  Simple to visualize that?  Now how many centimeters and millimeters tall are you?  Overly precise counter intuitive pain in the ass right?  Easy to visualize?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Metric is awesome but sae is here to stay.  We machine in thousandths here even if it's a metric part.

Metric is much simpler, know what's one bigger than a 12mm wrench?  Know what's one bigger than a 7/16s?
View Quote
15/32?

Edited in case anyone broke their sarcasm meter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Metric and Imperial are completely mixed into our culture and industry at this point.

It'd be like trying to separate the milk and flour after you start making bread. Ain't gonna fuckin' happen.
View Quote
This. And to be clear, it's the same overseas. Hell, England still reports player weights in stone.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You've been here long enough to have read the arguments that prove the US Customary Units of measurement is superior, and that SI provides no advantage to the users that use it for anything besides the label on a bottle.

Proof:

An objects mass is 387 kilograms.  A force of 1678394 Newtons is applied.  The acceleration is 1678394/387 meters/second^2.

"But, but, muh multiply by 10's ..."

QED
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I assume that most people here would not want to switch to the metric system.  What I want to know is:  Why not?

You've been here long enough to have read the arguments that prove the US Customary Units of measurement is superior, and that SI provides no advantage to the users that use it for anything besides the label on a bottle.

Proof:

An objects mass is 387 kilograms.  A force of 1678394 Newtons is applied.  The acceleration is 1678394/387 meters/second^2.

"But, but, muh multiply by 10's ..."

QED
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well WTF is 285?!

All I'm saying is L x W x H makes the most sense when dealing with dimensions and such. At least for us Americans anyways. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the surface but is 75% of 285 hard to understand?  It's how tall the sidewall is.  I do understand the frustration though.  
Well WTF is 285?!

All I'm saying is L x W x H makes the most sense when dealing with dimensions and such. At least for us Americans anyways. 
285mm tread width.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:07:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Metric threads are shit, since 1mm isn't really that great a thread pitch, but of course everything has to be stuffed into neat little decimal pigeonholes.

Pretty much a microcosm of the rest to the system.

In fact, now that everyone carries a device in their pocket with can instantly and flawlessly make any unit conversion possible, metric is even *less* relevant.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I use it daily, I don't think we NEED to switch, but learn it alongside the imperial units like I did in grade school.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:09:23 AM EDT
[#8]
For all of you who think "we landed on the moon using inches", you are completely wrong.  My Grandfather worked on ever space mission from  Gemini through Apollo, and every engineering achievement was done using the Metric system (I have his Metric slide rule he used every day at NASA, it's pretty cool).  

The US is already using the metric system, it's just that no one notices it.  Every calibrated weight is based off "Le Grande K", a physical chunk of  Platinum-Iridium alloy located in France, which sets the international standard for 1 Kilogram...there are several identical copies located in the US...under very tight security.  The US pound is based off this weight, it's just mathematically converted into Lbs.

No scientist in the world uses inches/lbs/miles, etc....doesn't matter what country you are in.

We are being idiotically stubborn by not officially/publicly making the switch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because the metric system makes no allowances for the number of barleycorns in a furlong; and I just cannot abide that.

Plus, I know just how big an acre is.  It's 10 square chains, dammit.  They'll want to learn me about hectares and such!!
View Quote
Repeat after me: "an acre is the area of a rectangle who's length is one furlong and who's width is one chain."

And remember: If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding.  How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:12:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The "foot" is a useful length, centimeter is too small and meter is too big.
View Quote
I agree with you.

I also prefer the inch to the centimeter. 

SAE sucks for everything else.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Y'all are so off base with this one.  Have you ever noticed those little green number signs on the interstate?  Every mile you'll see one.  Do you have any idea how much it would cost to replace those? Taking all the signs down, buying kilometer signs, which is what 3/5 of a mile? Your talking about 40% more signs or something. We just can't do it. The cost is impossible.
View Quote
Are you an American, or an American't? 

I love how westernized society has gone from 'we will land a man on the moon by the end of the decade' to now 'we cannot replace some road signs.' 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Fuck metric, and fuck Celsius.
View Quote
This.

Imperial units are more relatable. Oh no, shit isn't base 10, the world's going to fucking end
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The metric system is great for idiots who are poor at math and/or spatial reasoning.
Using a base 10 system for math and measurement is a huge disadvantage in real world applications.

America is becoming dumber so metric will make sense at some point. Sad.

And the whole force vs mass based systems. Metric is for idiots. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:38:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Meh. I use and like both.
View Quote
Holy shit!  Where have you been?

@TheCanuck
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Celsius is arguably the best part of the metric system.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.  Some of the posters in this thread need a blood pressure check.  Let me know what it is in psi.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Metric... because science.  Literally.

And all you idiots who are arguing about "visualization," do you think A teaspoon is naturally easier to visualize?  Inherently more useful?

It is simply what you grew up with.
View Quote
How much?  "Oh here, let me just grab this common spoon." Vs. "Oh here, let me set up this scale and precisely measure that to the nearest milligram."

Yes, a teaspoon is far easier to visualize.

Some things require scientific precision, others just require a fucking spoon full.  Get it?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How much?  "Oh here, let me just grab this common spoon." Vs. "Oh here, let me set up this scale and precisely measure that to the nearest milligram."

Some things require scientific precision, others just require a fucking spoon full.  Get it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric... because science.  Literally.

And all you idiots who are arguing about "visualization," do you think A teaspoon is naturally easier to visualize?  Inherently more useful?

It is simply what you grew up with.

Except that a measured teaspoon is nowhere near the volume of a common piece of flatware.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:57:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't care but I will never change compleyely off of imperial myself. It is just too late for me, I will always think of inches. Feet, pounds, ounces, Fahrenheit, and gallons before metric.

It will never change for that reason.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:59:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That's a fail too.  The U.K. still uses miles, gallons, stone, etc.
View Quote
The UK is in a really fucked up in-between state which I'm pretty sure is how the US would end up after transition.

Road distances are miles, road speeds are miles per hour and mileage is miles per gallon (imperial gallons, mind) but fuel is sold in litres and non-travel distances are metric.
People's heights and weights are recorded in meters and kilograms for official purposes but people talk about height and weight in feet/inches and stone/pounds.
Beer is sold in pints but other beverages are all litres/millilitres. Milk is sold in odd multiples of litres that just happen to be multiples of pints.

The overwhelming majority of things are metric though.

Most people don't know how to convert between imperial and metric now (without google or siri) so whilst they can still buy a quarter pounder they have no clue how much meat that is actually supposed to be.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:03:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Except that a measured teaspoon is nowhere near the volume of a common piece of flatware.
View Quote
Depends on who made the spoon.  Tea Spoons and Table Spoons developed as a convenient common form of measurement based on the average size of their flat ware counter parts.  Ditto for cups.

The entire imperial system developed like that, the units were all based on common objects that people could easily find or visualize.  Again, not everything requires precision, some things are fine just being "close enough."

Imperial is the big chunky human scale units for day to day use and understanding, metric is used when precision is required, that is my view on it.  It's rough verse fine, metric tries to do everything fine but that gets horribly clunky when talking about the macro or when trying to visualize something.  Think of it like trying to adjust iron sights in terms of mills instead of MOA.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:04:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not fine enough. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#25]
The baby jesus gave you believers 10 fucking fingers, but you fight base 10.

Y'all stupid, yo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:08:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The baby jesus gave you believers 10 fucking fingers, but you fight base 10.

Y'all stupid, yo.
View Quote
I'm guessing you could tell us the time and date? Stop fighting it and go all the way. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you could tell us the time and date? Stop fighting it and go all the way. 
View Quote
It's 0012, 07082017
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's 0012, 07082017
View Quote
Leave it to a guy who can't express the time and date correctly to advocate for a base ten system. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Leave it to a guy who can't express the time and date correctly to advocate for a base ten system. 
View Quote
K.

Sorry crown made me off by a hour.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:19:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OK, all you guys are crazy. There is no way we will ever go to metric.

Who is going to sign up to retrain all of our wives and mothers and girlfriends for their baking and cooking needs.

The recipe calls for a cup of milk, how many ML is that? Who is going to explain it to them?
View Quote
That's peanuts.  Try living in a country where you can't understand the language, nor read, nor write it.  Dealing with a few lines on a cup is nothing. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#31]
It simply isn't utilitarian enough in everyday usage.

the Foot and Fahrenheit do not have comparable metric counter parts.

cm and m have nothing in between that could approximate the Foot for usage.  If we switched we'd be measuring heights in cm... which is as stupid as measuring height in inches.  Though I have heard of something called a decimeter.  Which almost works being 10 cm so there would be 10 dm in a m... that might be kinda functional.  But if we started using that... we'd be the only country using it same as before.

C degrees are too big for common usage.  F degrees are pretty much the right size.  If we redefined 200 C to be boiling instead of 100... then that would fix the problem with C.  I don't think we'll get everyone else to agree.

Metric is great for science applications.  It makes the math work so much easier.  That's what it's designed for.  It isn't great for everyday usage.  Units of measure are either too large to too small to be useful.

Just learn how to use both.  It isn't that hard.  And we all carry calculators around with us everywhere we go.  Most are even voice activated now so you can just ask the computer what 1 and 1/4 inch is in mm or the other way around and get the answer in seconds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:22:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It simply isn't utilitarian enough in everyday usage.

the Foot and Fahrenheit do not have comparable metric counter parts.

cm and m have nothing in between that could approximate the Foot for usage.  If we switched we'd be measuring heights in cm... which is as stupid as measuring height in inches.  Though I have heard of something called a decimeter.  Which almost works being 10 cm so there would be 10 dm in a m... that might be kinda functional.  But if we started using that... we'd be the only country using it same as before.

C degrees are too big for common usage.  F degrees are pretty much the right size.  If we redefined 200 C to be boiling instead of 100... then that would fix the problem with C.  I don't think we'll get everyone else to agree.

Metric is great for science applications.  It makes the math work so much easier.  That's what it's designed for.  It isn't great for everyday usage.  Units of measure are either too large to too small to be useful.

Just learn how to use both.  It isn't that hard.  And we all carry calculators around with us everywhere we go.  Most are even voice activated now so you can just ask the computer what 1 and 1/4 inch is in mm or the other way around and get the answer in seconds.
View Quote
The decimeter doesn't exist?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:24:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's because we wore out space like a $2 whore on payday and now all the welfare rats are taking that money which we could be using to cook space bacon or keep illegals out of the country.

(That was mostly just BS shit talking, but for real, we spend too much money on garbage we don't need)

ETA: is that why we don't send as many women to space? The world just isn't ready for the freedom boner that is space bacon? What about using a machinegun to cook bacon, in space?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because we landed on the mother freakin Moon.  How many countries that use rhe metric system have done that.  Maybe someone else said it but I am not reading the whole thread.
We can't even fly our astronauts into space these days.  The Russians do it on metric rockets.
That's because we wore out space like a $2 whore on payday and now all the welfare rats are taking that money which we could be using to cook space bacon or keep illegals out of the country.

(That was mostly just BS shit talking, but for real, we spend too much money on garbage we don't need)

ETA: is that why we don't send as many women to space? The world just isn't ready for the freedom boner that is space bacon? What about using a machinegun to cook bacon, in space?
Because we spent all our space money on muslim outreach for 8 years.  We can't get to the mailbox these days but dam if Mecca ain't paved with 22ct gold. Priorities. 
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:26:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Fuck SAE, Fahrenheit and English,  let's simplify things. Why make things harder than they need to be.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#35]
It works so much better than our system.   I use metric for my own personal stuff, tracking running and cycling speeds/distances and at home projects that involve measure and cut.  

I used it for everything in college (science major) and it works perfectly.   So much better than the length of the king's foot or knuckle.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Exactly.  A PSI is pretty easy to grasp, what the fuck is a pascal?
View Quote
Newtons per sq meter. Not all that different from pounds per square inch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#37]
This discussion made sense 40 years ago. Now, everyone has a computer, and it is easy to convert from one system to the other, and sometimes, inches make more sense than centimeters. Eg., just say to Siri, "Convert 20 kg to pounds."
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:56:15 AM EDT
[#38]
You have two types of countries.  One that put people on the moon and everyone else that uses the metric system.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 3:51:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The decimeter doesn't exist?
View Quote
if that's you take away from my post I have to question your education... public school?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The better question is perhaps, why bother?  We have no issues with imperial, don't fix what's not broken.  Look at Britain, they made the switch and everyone just ignores it and continues to use imperial.  Just catering to forieners and leftists by switching.  This is America and we use Imperial.  Also, Metric is great for really precise measurements, especially of tiny things, great for science and medicine,mbut for everyone else it is a pain in the ass.  Here is a simple example: how tall are you?  How many feet and inches?  That was easy wasn't it?  Simple to visualize that?  Now how many centimeters and millimeters tall are you?  Overly precise counter intuitive pain in the ass right?  Easy to visualize?
View Quote
You fail to understand that 180cm or 160cm is very easy for me to visualize because I was born with it.

I absolutely can't visualize a size in feet and inches though...

See how that works ?
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#42]
People state that metric is not intuitive and hard to visualize.  That is because the imperial measurements are what was ingrained in you at a young age, you think in imperial. It is just like language, you think in the language you were taught natively until speaking another language for quite some time.  

If you use metric enough it will become intuitive also.  

Study metric, you will learn all the measurements interconnect.  Mass, volume, length all work together.   The imperial system is stupid, just plain dumb.   The rest of the world has reason to laugh at us with regards to this subject.  

MGRS anyone?   That works well.  Metric.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For all of you who think "we landed on the moon using inches", you are completely wrong.  My Grandfather worked on ever space mission from  Gemini through Apollo, and every engineering achievement was done using the Metric system (I have his Metric slide rule he used every day at NASA, it's pretty cool).  

The US is already using the metric system, it's just that no one notices it.  Every calibrated weight is based off "Le Grande K", a physical chunk of  Platinum-Iridium alloy located in France, which sets the international standard for 1 Kilogram...there are several identical copies located in the US...under very tight security.  The US pound is based off this weight, it's just mathematically converted into Lbs.

No scientist in the world uses inches/lbs/miles, etc....doesn't matter what country you are in.

View Quote
Well shit, it's all just us being stubborn?  If that's all, I guess you won't mind converting every fastener and component that isnt metric in the country over to metric real quick.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Exactly.  A PSI is pretty easy to grasp, what the fuck is a pascal?
Bar
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:34:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Well shit, it's all just us being stubborn?  If that's all, I guess you won't mind converting every fastener and component that isnt metric in the country over to metric real quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I go to the hardware store here I can find SAE tools. The lumber comes in metric and SAE sizes too. Seriously, I can buy 6' long 2x4s in japan. . If we actually converted to metric wholesale the reverse would be true for decades.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You fail to understand that 180cm or 160cm is very easy for me to visualize because I was born with it.

See how that works ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works ?
In thread after thread, they don't. It's amazing.

I've gotten to where I can more precisely eyeball out distance in meters than feet, and am more comfortable in Celsius than Fahrenheit. But, I have no familiarity with Liters per 100 km and I want to know the mileage on my car, not how many kilometers it's been driven. Unfortunately, my car makes me go all one way or the other, so temperature is always displayed in Fahrenheit.

The whole thing is a real pain in the ass... and don't get me started on even versus odd FM radio station frequencies.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#47]
The Metric system is sooooooooo much easier. Snowflakes struggle with wiping their ass.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:42:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've gotten to where I can more precisely eyeball out distance in meters than feet, and am more comfortable in Celsius than Fahrenheit. But, I have no familiarity with Liters per 100 km and I want to know the mileage on my car, not how many kilometers it's been driven. Unfortunately, my car makes me go all one way or the other, so temperature is always displayed in Fahrenheit.

The whole thing is a real pain in the ass... and don't get me started on even versus odd FM radio station frequencies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See how that works ?

Yeah, I think like the U.K. we should stick with gallons and miles.  On everything else though, make the switch.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No. One larger than 7/16 is 8/16 or 1/2".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Metric is awesome but sae is here to stay.  We machine in thousandths here even if it's a metric part.

Metric is much simpler, know what's one bigger than a 12mm wrench?  Know what's one bigger than a 7/16s?
3/4"
No. One larger than 7/16 is 8/16 or 1/2".
No... 1 larger than 7/16 is 15/32.

We use metric on some projects, but its more labor intensive due to all the converting and double checking. Line said above, we machine in .001's, even if the print is metric.

Personally, I'm a fan of SAE.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get both.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top