Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I explored Nutty Putty with a friend back in high school/early college back before it closed down.

We used to go out there at night, figured it was dark anyway.  A couple of times we forgot where we parked our car and got lost, wandered around in the desert in the middle of the night for a few hours before we found it.

Too bad they closed it down, but it got abused anyway.  Boy Scout groups would come through and fill it with trash.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#2]
There aren't a lot of things that I'm terrified of, but this is definitely right up there with swimming in underwater caves. No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not claustrophobic, but caves, especially underwater ones. Don't interest me one bit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like every 6 months or so we do this thread and every time I say “nope”.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a small cave on the border of the farm I grew up on in middle Tenn and the Kentucky border. You have to crawl through at the entrance  until you go about 50' or so. Then you can get into a kneeling position for awhile then it really constricts. After getting to the point it becomes a bit of a squeeze, that's enough. Not going any further.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Terrible story

I got sweaty palms just watching
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Since his body is still blocking the passage, I don't imagine it's that fun of a place to go anymore.  It's considered his grave now, so it's a good thing the souvenir hunters and morbid youtubers are being kept out.i
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's retarded they closed the cave forever
Since his body is still blocking the passage, I don't imagine it's that fun of a place to go anymore.  It's considered his grave now, so it's a good thing the souvenir hunters and morbid youtubers are being kept out.i

He mistook the tunnel he went into for an established one. It wasn't passable but by the time he realized that it was too late. His body wasn't blocking any used tunnels but IIRC there were always multiple rescues there a year so it was already considered a nuisance.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:34:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope.

Literally, not even at gunpoint.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:36:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Nnnnnnnnnno.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope.

Literally, not even at gunpoint.
View Quote

I'd rather bleed out from a gut shot myself.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Since his body is still blocking the passage, I don't imagine it's that fun of a place to go anymore.  It's considered his grave now, so it's a good thing the souvenir hunters and morbid youtubers are being kept out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since his body is still blocking the passage, I don't imagine it's that fun of a place to go anymore.  It's considered his grave now, so it's a good thing the souvenir hunters and morbid youtubers are being kept out.

His body is long gone. It's hot and damp there.. He's long decomposed and bones are gone. The cave was full of dead animals that wandered in and died.

That cave was used by thousands every year.

It's a very liberal thought to shut down access for everyone because one person screwed up and died.

What if we applied the same logic to the freeway?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

His body is long gone. It's hot and damp there.. He's long decomposed and bones are gone. The cave was full of dead animals that wandered in and died.

It's a very liberal thought to shut down access for everyone because one person screwed up and died.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It isnt the death, it is cost of rescue and danger rescuers are put in
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s also a very liberal thought to purposely and needlessly put yourself into a very dangerous situation “for fun” and then expect others to risk their lives to fish you out if things go wrong.

You KNOW there would be legal hell to pay if someone got into trouble there, and no rescue was attempted.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It isnt the death, it is cost of rescue and danger rescuers are put in
View Quote

A lot of this shit could be solved with a sign.

“If you get stuck here, there is no rescue available. You are on your own. Plan and prepare accordingly.”

Saw a sign in that spirit somewhere in CO or ID.

We need to roll back the safety net in this country. Do stupid shit- die. People managed to settle this nation on horseback and now people are dying falling off the sidewalk.

If you’re a fucking idiot, stay in the city or die. Why should good men risk their lives to save you when you’ve committed asshattery?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I watch a shit ton of caving and cave diving videos. This one has always stuck with me. As a teenage Boy Scout I loved our caving trips. Now I need a damn Xanax to get slid into my numerous MRI scans. You couldn't drag me back into a cave.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

“If you get stuck here, there is no rescue available. You are on your own. Plan and prepare accordingly.”

We need to roll back the safety net in this country. Do stupid shit- die. People managed to settle this nation on horseback and now people are dying falling off the sidewalk.

If you’re a fucking idiot, stay in the city or die. Why should good men risk their lives to save you when you’ve committed asshattery?
View Quote

Meh, the wild frontier doesn't even exist in high altitude mountaineering anymore. Sat phone rescues have turned the world into Disney land. Oh sure, plenty of people still die in extreme sports. But it ain't your grandfathers adventure/exploration.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:31:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When I was younger I was a volunteer fire fighter and did "the tower" in full Scott pack.  The scariest thing for me was crawling through the "roof" part which was just big enough to fit through.  Mind you, you had another fire fighter in front of you, and behind you, in the dark, with smoke, and had to navigate 90 degree turns.

I had never been so claustrophobic before.  I still have no idea how I held it together, but I did.  And the instructors would stop the line for random amounts of time.  Just you, laying down, breathing inside bunker gear and mask.
View Quote

To give context to my reply: I’m sitting on the tail gate of my truck outside while I wait for the feed truck to finish filling up the feed bin. A standard sized semi with a normal sized tanker style trailer is the closest thing to me besides my truck. Behind me is a hog barn. Aside from the barn, the next closest thing is a few trees scattered amongst the roughly 10 miles of open fields in every direction.

What I mean by taking the long way around the barn (I hate myself sometimes) is that the only thing that could have possibly caused the minor panic attack that I just had is your story. How could you possibly do something like that without having a full on meltdown? I felt like crying and puking just from reading it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Been in nutty putty many times. Always would get out wondering why I went in.  Always ended up in tight smelly damp areas

Super sad story but not surprised at all.  The “birth canal” was a bitch if you’re at all leery of tight spaces.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:40:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's not the worst one in Utah history.  There was an incident a few years earlier were four people drowned trying to swim through an underground passage in a cave:

"Cave of Death"
View Quote

That’s bad but Being completely stuck almost vertically until death would be much worse.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:43:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe from reading the story that he his deep into an unexplored section which was ultimately why he died. He was confused on where he was. Ed’s Push I believe it was called.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:48:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I’ve been in there a couple of times years ago almost 30 years ago.

I have zero interest in doing anything like that now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:50:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It’s also a very liberal thought to purposely and needlessly put yourself into a very dangerous situation “for fun” and then expect others to risk their lives to fish you out if things go wrong.

You KNOW there would be hell to pay if someone got into trouble there, and no rescue was attempted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You KNOW there would be hell to pay if someone got into trouble there, and no rescue was attempted.

Then they should bill for it.

And I know Utah county SAR does drills in caves like this.

We can't just shut down the planet in case something bad happened.

Totally dumb
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:54:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Hard pass
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:58:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That’s bad but Being completely stuck almost vertically until death would be much worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not the worst one in Utah history.  There was an incident a few years earlier were four people drowned trying to swim through an underground passage in a cave:

"Cave of Death"

This reminds me of a caving incident I read about in either England or Scotland where a group of cavers drowned while belly crawling through an extremely long narrow passage. A large rainstorm hit while in that narrow section of the cave and flooded .

EDIT: Found it. WARNING. This is nightmare fuel.

The Mossdale Caverns Incident
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Totally dumb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally dumb

I’m actually in favor of a previous poster’s idea: no rescue attempts.   You live (or die) with the risks you take when doing extraordinarily dangerous stuff like this.   I’ve got no problem with that but it would never fly here in litigation-happy USA.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:59:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Fascinating story. I watched the entire thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:04:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm claustrophobic enough that I get anxious just thinking about being upside down in a HEAT trainer again.

Nutty Putty is a biiiiiiiiig NOPE.

I can handle Carlsbad Caverns okay though
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:10:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Even the tours are a bit dicey. We have Collossal Caves down here in Tuscon. Its well mapped and open to guided tours. Even took my family on one.

We were going through an open but twisting area where i paused just to frame a picture. The rest of the tour continued and 30 seconds later i was alone in a barely lit area and couldnt hear jack from the tour narration. Complete silence. The rock and angles absolutely mitigated sound transmission. Worse, it split off into different sections.

I have to say it was one of the more unnerving situations in my adult life. Not even claustrophobia... just sudden and abrupt isolation in near darkness.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There is a move on Amazon Prime about it called the Last Descent. Its good.
View Quote

Free on YouTube right now
The Last Descent Official Trailer 1 (2016) - Chadwick Hopson Movie
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 4:57:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can't watch it,  can't even think about it.   Claustrophobic in my old age .
View Quote

I made it about 6.5 minutes, wish I hadn't started watching it.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#34]
A hard pass.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:17:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I remember that one, but being stuck upside down would be worse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Cave of Death"

I agree.  I basically drowned when I was 8yo.  It goes quickly.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Cave of Death"

Drowning in my mind would be an easier way to go than hanging upside down, stuck in a hole.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Fawk no!

I’ll dangle from the top of a TV tower all day long before I get buried alive.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:49:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Just looking at the google images makes my head spin. Screw that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Seemed like a lot of asshatery involved in the rescue attempt.
View Quote

They likely never planned for it, and since it took an hour each way to get to him they simply ran out of time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm really wanting to go caving at some point, but only with a professional guide that knows what they're doing.

There's no way in hell I'd crawl in a hole in the ground by myself with a couple flashlights and start crawling towards the unknown.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:13:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's gonna be a no from me dawg
View Quote

Big 10-4 to that ! !

Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#42]
MRI technologist here.
When someone had no compassion for people that are claustrophobic, I would bring this case up on the computer and make them read it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears his body is at the end of a tunnel ?
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I was fine with small spaces.  Never had an issue.  Then I had an air gas embolism in dive school and spent 9 hours in a hyperbaric chamber.

Now I have issues putting on a motorcycle helmet or getting an mri.

Fucking hate it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long decomposed, he's gone. It is warm and damp there. Perfect for decomp
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:37:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That's gonna be a no from me dawg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It’s an incredible story and the internet historian does an amazing job of engrossing you. I mean it’s a full on movie with character development, highs and lows.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know it's not the same but I've dug up remains that we're buried in MI sand, clay, loam for years without a casket. All the juice was gone but the bones remained, wasn't sure about cave conditions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#49]
No way I'd go into a spot like that. The only thing worse would be those underwater caves people explore.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#50]

I can’t believe I just watched that entire thing. That was awesome.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top