Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/7/2015 9:20:57 AM EDT
Fascinating!

Video Link

Four Russian Navy warships have fired a total of 26 missiles at the position of the terrorist group Islamic State in Syria, Russia’s Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu announced. The missiles were fired from the Caspian Sea.The missile attacks came from Russia’s fleet in the Caspian Sea, near the northern coast of Iran. The precision weapons hit all intended targets. The attacks apparently required cooperation from Iran and Iraq, as the missiles had to travel through their airspace to reach Syria.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks pretty impressive for a military who's soldiers have no socks...It would appear that the ol' Bear still has some teeth.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I was really hoping for a catastrophic failure in the tube.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Meanwhile, in DC:

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm kind of surprised that they even have a Caspian Sea fleet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Good chance for us to grab some intel on their systems.  

That said, I'm headed to Costco for some more rice and beans.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Defending Russia would be a PITA.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm calling bullshit on that video.

Lots of old file footage.

Propaganda.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have no problems with Russia bombing the shit out of ISIS
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Crap at 19 seconds.

Poop thread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Look!  We have Tomahawkski!!!

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#12]
¯\_(?)_/¯

Seriously, this situation is buggered beyond belief. I'd like to say that Putin has outmaneuvered Obama, but Putin didn't really have to maneuver at all. Obama navigates foreign politics like a blind, drunken, palsy victim with his shoes tied together.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fleet is probably not quite the right word for it---a half dozen corvettes (three of which, assuming they are all operational, could carry up to 8 land attack cruise missiles each,) a pair of frigates, some minesweepers, some missile boats, and a few other small vessels.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Pretty cool fireworks display!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Looked like a Call of Duty video.  

When Isis does finally buy the nuke they're shopping for I wonder who they will be more pissed at and who the target will be?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I dont know who this guy is or what his channel says, but he's got lots of vids of Russians blowing stuff up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWgcv9Aks4rhtLkLD6RwbIQ/videos
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#19]
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34465425

Russia's decision to attack what it claims to be IS targets in Syria with cruise missiles fired from warships in the Caspian Sea represents a new twist to Moscow's growing involvement in the crisis.

It is not clear yet why these particular weapons were chosen in preference to air strikes - but the missiles would have had to fly a considerable distance over Iraq and then Iran to reach Syria.

Sea-launched cruise missiles have long been a favourite US weapon of choice in interventions overseas, so there may be an element of Russia demonstrating that it has the full military panoply of any other "superpower".

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Meanwhile in Washington DC:

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#21]
At least Russia will hopefully have the balls to take the gloves off and do what needs to be done.  We all know FBHO won't let our military do it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#22]
the computer graphics and lack of a real time film make me wonder about the end shot and where the missiles targeted or if they found the target at all.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#24]
This video shows MLRS(?) and cluster munitions.

https://youtu.be/-kYJ_PQX7GM
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the computer graphics and lack of a real time film make me wonder about the end shot and where the missiles targeted or if they found the target at all.
View Quote

The internet link says there are 6 ships (corvettes) in the Caspian sea with VLS.  The ground attack missile is a 3M-54 Klub (3M-14T variant) link with inertial guidance.  Which means it might have hit kinda close to what they wanted to hit.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looked like a Call of Duty video.  

When Isis does finally buy the nuke they're shopping for I wonder who they will be more pissed at and who the target will be?
View Quote

Given that Russia doesn't really seem to be hitting IS targets.................
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/06/why-are-the-russians-bombing-my-ambulances.html

On the same day the U.S. struck a hospital in Afghanistan, Putin’s pilots struck medical facilities and vehicles nowhere near ISIS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The internet link says there are 6 ships (corvettes) in the Caspian sea with VLS.  The ground attack missile is a 3M-54 Klub (3M-14T variant) link with inertial guidance.  Which means it might have hit kinda close to what they wanted to hit.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only 3 of those 6 have the ability to launch those missiles---the other 3 have 122mm rocket launchers instead.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Only 3 of those 6 have the ability to launch those missiles---the other 3 have 122mm rocket launchers instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm obviously not an expert, but wikipedia says 3 Buyan and 3 Buyan M-class ships, all with VLS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm obviously not an expert, but wikipedia says 3 Buyan and 3 Buyan M-class ships, all with VLS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, Wikipedia seems to be correct, based on my knowledge----
2 × 4 UKSK VLS cells for 3M-54 Klub (SS-N-27) (only 21631)

Only three of the ships are project 21631s---the others do not mount the VLS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was really hoping for a catastrophic failure in the tube.  
View Quote

Hehehe....
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#32]
I see LOTS of scraping and painting is somebody's future.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

After further internet research, by God you are right and I'm wrong again!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edited, ('cause I left the lab open without responding for a while,) to not point something out I thought you missed about numbers, but which you seem to have figured out.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#35]
If the missiles were in the same hemisphere I'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Question ?

After a launch like that is there anything left of the paint on the ship?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Edited, ('cause I left the lab open without responding for a while,) to not point something out I thought you missed about numbers, but which you seem to have figured out.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, my math was bad when I wrote that , however... the Russians said 4 ships fired 26 missiles.  Which means they lied or another ship somewhere has VLS.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Missiles flying over Iraq

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Good coverage from this guy.

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Missiles flying over Iraq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zIKziWYVx8
View Quote

That really is cool.  I love it!  First time us normal people have seen todays Russian military running what they brung (excluding Crimea)

I wonder if those guys are laughing and saying "Someone is fucked"
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Propaganda notwithstanding, this website has updates too.  http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/showthread.php?t=21961&page=54
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Question ?

After a launch like that is there anything left of the paint on the ship?
View Quote

On USN ships?  Yes.

On Russian ones?  I don't know, was there paint to begin with?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, my math was bad when I wrote that , however... the Russians said 4 ships fired 26 missiles.  Which means they lied or another ship somewhere has VLS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm.  Looking around, it seems that Dagestan has VLS capable of accommodating 8 3K14s, but I was under the impression that the only variant in service was an anti-ship version, and that the land attack version wasn't in service.  Perhaps I be wrong.  Dport could probably correct me here, but alas, he is gone.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Russia has done in a few days what the US failed to accomplish over the course of years.

The strategic implication is that the only backing for the Fed Res Note as the World's Reserve Currency, the US Military, is ineffective. Thank you Dear Leader.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it is.

Damn.  Lots of dead kids.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Fleet is probably not quite the right word for it---a half dozen corvettes (three of which, assuming they are all operational, could carry up to 8 land attack cruise missiles each,) a pair of frigates, some minesweepers, some missile boats, and a few other small vessels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Caspian Flotilla has a fairly lengthy history dating back to Peter the Great.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I dont know who this guy is or what his channel says, but he's got lots of vids of Russians blowing stuff up.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWgcv9Aks4rhtLkLD6RwbIQ/videos
View Quote

Syrian Revolutionary Command Council in Hama
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Revolutionary_Command_Council
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#49]
This is the first time I've ever seen an Arab armored column supported by infantry.  The Russians must have told them they have been doing it wrong.

However these 2 guys take out 2 tanks in the column.

https://youtu.be/7Jn1vN5Bz0E

https://youtu.be/CD_VIYWGDsg
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/06/why-are-the-russians-bombing-my-ambulances.html

On the same day the U.S. struck a hospital in Afghanistan, Putin’s pilots struck medical facilities and vehicles nowhere near ISIS.
View Quote

The Russian's play to win
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top