Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been looking forward to this printer. Hope it turns out ok.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/165887/KIMG1493_JPG-1252757.jpgI didn't request this, which leads me to believe that all mini owners were sent one.

Interesting.
View Quote
evidently they got into some trouble with EU for claiming open source but not including the jumper so people could replace the firmware...

you need to break the tab and install the jumper.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I reset the height of the MINDA probe per advice on the Prusa forums.

Got some interesting behavior.

Where the probing fails is where I have major issues with MESH jamming the nozzle too close to the print bed.

Can't embed, but take a look at the video links and tell me what you think.
Those links contained personal, identifying information. Deleted per original poster's request; me. Note: I'd do the same for anybody who needs it to protect privacy --  Rat_Patrol

Puzzing.
View Quote
Same place every time? Might be a code error in the routine, but that's weird. It would be happening to everyone.

Or there's some issue with the surface it's detecting at that spot.

My guess is that those probes just ain't working right. Does that help?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The_Steward:

I made a small edit in your reply of my quote. I didn't realize that those links gave out personal information. I would do the same for anybody who accidentally gave out personal info and was quoted to protect their privacy.

So I guess you got insider information on me
View Quote
Ahem, I understood it to be a honeypot to steal *my* information.

I clicked and it was like "you're logged in as ********". Me: well shit. And then I switched to privacy mode.

I guess we'll have a MAD agreement not to doxx each other. ;-)
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking to get a printer somewhat soon.  Was looking at the Ender 3 or maybe the 3 Pro.  Get the 3 and upgrade the extruder.  I've got a local source for the 40mm extrusions.  Figured I'd get those and use the replaced 25mm for additional vertical bracing.  And by the time I get really moving have about the same $$ in the machine.  Seems like they might be near the price point of this one by then.  Also how close they can stick to the #349 by the time they get the initial birthing pains corrected.  Looking at mostly Model Railroading applications.  Also want to do replacement base plates and maybe followers for some old 20 round magazines for range use and desert shooting trips.   I have access to a DLP printer if I need super fine small detail parts

Couple of questions

How rigid is the X arm?

How smooth is the finished product?  Some ridging is acceptable if I'm making something to be "wood", but not for a smoothe sided metal car  side or roof, etc.

Will this be a better deal overall in the next few months.  A decent manual and CS that understand English is a big plus.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP this morning waiting for the package.
https://media.giphy.com/media/mv1YxAXfJqMdW/giphy.gif
View Quote
 Waiting for my first Arduino stuff to come in from Banggood.

So to soothe my feelings I broke down , went to Micro Center and got an Ender 3 Pro for $209 and some filament. I figure that's a better bet than a mail order from  somewhere of the 60 Fwy just over the hill.  Where nobody is liable to be able to communicate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I believe they will stick to the $349 for a while, unless the machine needs a total redesign, which I doubt. Replace the MINDA with the mk3's PINDA and they are in business. Prusa rarely runs a sale, and with the Mini getting more and more sales, they have no reason to have a sale anytime soon. So that to say no, the price will not go down.

The cantilever is plenty solid. They have acceleration values tuned nicely for good prints.

I believe this will be a great machine at a great price once they get the bugs worked out.

If you buy one, I suggest the filament sensor upgrade option. If you want to print petg, get the textured upgrade bed option (you will get both a textured and smooth bed). You are looking at about $450 with all extra options and shipping to the US.
View Quote
 I saw what looked to be a Mini clone already at Micro Center.  Not sure a clone of a not quite ready product is a good idea. yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I hope you get it back 100% working - still waiting on mine, but I'd rather have it right than right now...
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Are they actually repairing and returning yours? Almost seems like for that cost they'd be better off just replacing it with a new one. Maybe doing a refurb program.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The reason I don't favor the Chinese imports as being particularly suitable for new makers (those just diving into 3D printing) is because of the amount of technical tweaking required to get them running.

Maybe not for every printer, but for many.

They require just-so assembly, tuning, tightening, calibrating, etc. Slicer settings can be a PITA to tune in.
View Quote
This didnt age well with your issues with prusa. Lol.

I have an ender 3 pro. I've had it for about a year or so now and had zero experience with any form of 3d printing prior. It has been nothing but good to me. Bed leveling is very easy and installing upgrades are a breeze. Cura isnt perfect, but the fact that I can just tell cura I have an ender 3 and it pops up with the correct profile is stupid easy. It really cant get much easier than this. Being more hands off with this printer allows me more time to learn fusion and tweak cura settings while the printer is printing (I've used autocad for over a decade and finally made the switch).

It seems as if you either like prusa or dont. I'm in the latter camp. I think it's awesome they print parts for their machines, but it's not something I want on my machine. I also have a hard time believing the x axis on the mini wont sag over time or create issues on prints that utilize the entire x axis. That being said I have seen some fantastic prints come off of prusas and I will be following to see your progress. Glad to see prusa is taking care of you, I'm assuming crealitys support isnt as good as this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This didnt age well with your issues with prusa. Lol.

I have an ender 3 pro. I've had it for about a year or so now and had zero experience with any form of 3d printing prior. It has been nothing but good to me. Bed leveling is very easy and installing upgrades are a breeze. Cura isnt perfect, but the fact that I can just tell cura I have an ender 3 and it pops up with the correct profile is stupid easy. It really cant get much easier than this. Being more hands off with this printer allows me more time to learn fusion and tweak cura settings while the printer is printing (I've used autocad for over a decade and finally made the switch).

It seems as if you either like prusa or dont. I'm in the latter camp. I think it's awesome they print parts for their machines, but it's not something I want on my machine. I also have a hard time believing the x axis on the mini wont sag over time or create issues on prints that utilize the entire x axis. That being said I have seen some fantastic prints come off of prusas and I will be following to see your progress. Glad to see prusa is taking care of you, I'm assuming crealitys support isnt as good as this.
View Quote
^^^All of THIS^^^   I hear nothing good about the prusa machines.  But for the price,  they really should start injection molding parts. Heck it would probably make them cheaper.  And my ender3 has exceeded all expectations I had for 165 bucks.  If I knew it was this good I'd have paid 3x that easily.  So I may buy another or a larger format machine
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I only mentioned cura because you mentioned some ha e difficulty with cura settings. For the ender 3 pro defaults, they arent perfect, but they're a good start.

Thank you for being a good sport and let me razz you a little. I am definitely interested in how this turns out. Prusa really seems to have their stuff together and I hope this machine works as good as their other stuff does.

I agree about the fast pace of this industry and am looking forward to the day I can buy an affordable metal 3d printer, but we still have to wait for the trickle down tech to get there. I read an article the other day that said some college kids TIG'd two pieces of 3d printed stainless together on a 600 dollar machine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I am also looking forward to the day that tool changers become common. I don't think it will take long. Also larger form MSLA printers are trickling out, and as they become cheaper I think we might see them replace FFM for entry level printers... they're just dead simple in terms of user experience. I've literally never had a failed print on my photon, it's a push button experience. Honestly it takes some of the fun out of it, that and the smell.

You're right that the industry is changing quickly. I started with an ender 3 a bit more than a year ago. I was surprised at how simple the machinery was. I've used a prusa 2.5s and I can't say that the quality was better from what came off of it, as so much of a truly good print is slicer settings and tuning. The prusa is certainly a good turn-key option that you usually know is going to be working out of the box (or at least that's how its advertised) but they're all a bunch of chinese parts.

Reprap project or not, I don't really like the idea of buying a printer made from 3d printed parts at the prusa pricepoint. You are completely correct as to why it is like it is, but spending $750 on a machine with 3d printed parts does kind of hurt.

That said, while as far as communities go I've never seen the 3d printer community be snobby (which is really a first for any hobby I've gotten into, people don't tend to be brand whores or whatever for the most part in this), it was kind of funny seeing people maybe talk down bowden systems and setups for their few (generally relatively easily surmountable) issues then praise it to high heavens when prusa said they were doing one.

I am interested in the prusa core xy and I feel at the speculative price point it will be a much more premium user experience than the mini. That said, if a Chinese maker beats them to the market with a large and quality core xy at cr10 pricepoints, it's going to make it hard to justify the Prusa. There are already some smaller XYs at low price points.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Surprising they don't have a US warehouse yet like creality does.

Maybe soon.  They are taking in enough money that it shouldn't take long.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Package was delivered yesterday (Friday).

We shall see how long it takes for them to get back to me with testing results and what they plan to do.
View Quote
It took two weeks just for it to get from you back to Prusa?    I've been reading this thinking they had received it, fixed it, and you were waiting for it to be delivered back to you.  That sucks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:02:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Opened up the box, read the tech report. When they went to auto home and first layer cal, it failed: bad MINDA probe. They would be the 2nd or 3rd bad MINDA probe. Yes, they did change it, I got the new version now.

It got all the official updates, hardware and software, and serviced, new MINDA probe and nozzle. The included test prints looked great, perfect first layer.

I'll get it sterilized and back and going tomorrow.

Super excited tot have it back!
View Quote

Hope it works well now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Bondtech has some upgrades for the MINI, an improved extruder and a new heat break.

also, Aliexpress is offering an extruder for the mini.

just some options if things go south again.

Still waiting for my Mini, but I'm definitely getting better with Fusion360 - I still suck, but getting there.

Oh, and evidently the board on the MINI appears to be set up to support an actual PINDA, so that may be an option at some point.

So I've been following and researching every failure and problem with the MINI, while waiting for mine to arrive. I go back and forth between cancelling and paying the difference for the other Prusa, but have decided to stay with the mini for now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got my Mini Prusa two days ago. Thought I had a crap unit as I was getting Watchdog errors left and right. Turns out they had sent me a defective USB drive and it was faulting when trying to print from the drive. Used one of my own and now it is rocking it. Makes me want a larger print bed.

This thing is awesome.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#50]
hmm I've been babying my ender when it came to tpu speed even with the bondtech...maybe i should try giving it a push if i need to print more masks. not counting the retainer it takes me 7 hours for one mask
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top