User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 2
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Anytime you wish to share more stories, please do Snake_driver.

As an old 68J Armament Dawg, I miss the Cobra.

btw, you may recognize these.  Would you believe I took these pictures today?    These are some old parts we pulled from the depths of a locker while cleaning up a couple of years ago.  They're not in the best shape anymore, and if I thought I could get away with it, I would repair them back to working condition.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

btw, you may recognize these.  Would you believe I took these pictures today?    These are some old parts we pulled from the depths of a locker while cleaning up a couple of years ago.  They're not in the best shape anymore, and if I thought I could get away with it, I would repair them back to working condition.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/DSCN1490.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/bytor94/DSCN1494.jpg  

Cool stuff!  Without the help of all the skilled tradesmen like you who worked endless numbers of hours to keep us flying & shooting we would have been worthless.  I was the Aircraft Armament Officer in the second half of my tour when I was in the Cav. Troop up in Pleiku.  My guys would often work all through the night to make sure the Cobras were ready to go for the next day's missions.  I loved to reward them for their hard work by taking them with me on test flights and letting them do some shooting with the minigun and 40mm.  That always seemed to put a smile on their face.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Great read and thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]
God DAMN!!!!

I love Cobra Tales!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite thing in the pic, BTW is " Turret Select  Left....Right.....BOTH!!! "

lol...TOTALLY TEH SWEEEEET!@!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome read! Thanks for sharing and more importantly thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
cool
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep'em coming Snake Driver, great read!

15-R20
C Co 1/1 AVN '03 Kosovo
A Co 601 ASB '04 Iraq
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the positive feedback and nice statements. I have a couple more Cobra stories that I’ll be posting here over the next week or so, including a special Vietnam Christmas story.  Stay tuned..........
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great writing.

I shared this with a friend that was a Ranger and he was wondering what unit 'team 76' was from?

The only Army Division still around in III Corp in those days with ground troops deployed in the field was the 1st Air Cav. I haven't got any records to indicate, nor do I remember their specific unit ID..  Most of the time we had a callsign like Dynamic Fury 20 with a FM radio frequency to contact them on and usually never got to meet them or know who they were.

Thanks, I passed on the information.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 7:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome post.

Thanks for your service during those difficult times!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Well done Snake_driver. That was a great read and thank you for you service.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the positive feedback and nice statements. I have a couple more Cobra stories that I’ll be posting here over the next week or so, including a special Vietnam Christmas story.  Stay tuned..........

Bump!

I honestly cannot wait to read that story!

Thanks for what you did Snake_driver!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Great read and thank you for your service!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 Here we go, be gentle I'm not a professional writer or anything.  

Coulda fooled me.  Good tell of a great story.

Link Posted: 12/14/2010 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I was never there , but I have heard a bunch of storys from those that have. I will never understand how a Huey could take off with the balls of steel the flyboys wear.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:47:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bump!

I honestly cannot wait to read that story!

New story coming tomorrow.  This new one will focus on the outstanding job that the U.S. Adviser teams did on the ground during the Easter Offensive of 1972.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for posting your story, looking forward to the updates!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Snake, I have a question.  It's probably a little do in depth to explain on here, but it always bugs me when I watch military movies.  When soldiers are on the ground calling for air support or artillery fire, how do they get it so accurate?  Like in your case, you've never flown over that part of Vietnam before and you don't know the lay of the land other than what you've seen on a map during the briefing.  So how do you know where your guys are and the enemy is?  It seems like this would be a hard (and very dangerous) thing to communicate over a radio.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Excellent read! Thank you.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Snake, I have a question.  It's probably a little do in depth to explain on here, but it always bugs me when I watch military movies.  When soldiers are on the ground calling for air support or artillery fire, how do they get it so accurate?  Like in your case, you've never flown over that part of Vietnam before and you don't know the lay of the land other than what you've seen on a map during the briefing.  So how do you know where your guys are and the enemy is?  It seems like this would be a hard (and very dangerous) thing to communicate over a radio.

First off, this was before the days of GPS so we learned to be very good at map reading.  You had to know your AO as good as you knew your own backyard.  Secondly, when you got close enough to where you thought the good guys were, you'd call on the radio for a smoke grenade to be thrown out by all the good guys.  Then you'd identify the colors to them to make sure the bad guys hadn't also thrown a smoke.  Once you knew where the good guys were, they'd say things to us like "from my smoke the bad guys are 50 meters to my northwest in the treeline.  Fire a pair (of rockets) and I'll adjust your fire".  After the first rockets they would say things like "add 20 meters and go right another 30 meters" to adjust for shifting bad guy locations.  When we got them where  they wanted them they would call "fire for effect" and we'd unload.

At night, they would toss out a strobe light or use a flashlight pointed up in the air to identify their position.  The good guys would also sometimes use a bright orange panel laid out on the ground during the daytime to identify their positions.  I even saw signal mirrors used to let us know where they were.

In our business knowing where all the friendlies were, at all times, was rule number one before firing the first round.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you for sharing that.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Great post. Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, this was before the days of GPS so we learned to be very good at map reading.  You had to know your AO as good as you knew your own backyard.  Secondly, when you got close enough to where you thought the good guys were, you'd call on the radio for a smoke grenade to be thrown out by all the good guys.  Then you'd identify the colors to them to make sure the bad guys hadn't also thrown a smoke.  Once you knew where the good guys were, they'd say things to us like "from my smoke the bad guys are 50 meters to my northwest in the treeline.  Fire a pair (of rockets) and I'll adjust your fire".  After the first rockets they would say things like "add 20 meters and go right another 30 meters" to adjust for shifting bad guy locations.  When we got them where  they wanted them they would call "fire for effect" and we'd unload.

At night, they would toss out a strobe light or use a flashlight pointed up in the air to identify their position.  The good guys would also sometimes use a bright orange panel laid out on the ground during the daytime to identify their positions.  I even saw signal mirrors used to let us know where they were.

In our business knowing where all the friendlies were, at all times, was rule number one before firing the first round.

Thanks. That really clears things up for me. Can't wait to read your next story.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#25]
TAG for later....
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. That really clears things up for me. Can't wait to read your next story.

These TTPS are still useful today.  Apaches are doing the exact same thing that he did 40 years ago.  Not only that, but they will walk you on a suspected TB with no bullets fired meaning no undue casualties on either your side or civilians.  
Compare and contrast that communication with AF CAS.

CCA is for COIN.  CAS is for MCO.
If you can't provide CCA, clear out of my AO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These TTPS are still useful today.  Apaches are doing the exact same thing that he did 40 years ago.  Not only that, but they will walk you on a suspected TB with no bullets fired meaning no undue casualties on either your side or civilians.  

English please, for us lowly peons.

ETA:

CAS = Close Air Support
AO = Area of Operation

But I don't know the rest.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Thank you for serving and for sharing that awesome story.
The Cobra has always been my favorite helicopter!

I saw the Sky Soldiers not long ago at an air show, they were offering rides in the Cobras!

I wanted a ride soooo bad but did not have the $500 to do it

I can't wait for more stories!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I saw the Sky Soldiers not long ago at an air show, they were offering rides in the Cobras!

$500, really????  Were they getting many takers at that price?  Hell I'm going to go get one and set-up a little business if they were...................just kidding.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool stuff!  Without the help of all the skilled tradesmen like you who worked endless numbers of hours to keep us flying & shooting we would have been worthless.  I was the Aircraft Armament Officer in the second half of my tour when I was in the Cav. Troop up in Pleiku.  My guys would often work all through the night to make sure the Cobras were ready to go for the next day's missions.  I loved to reward them for their hard work by taking them with me on test flights and letting them do some shooting with the minigun and 40mm.  That always seemed to put a smile on their face.

do you still remember what all the buttons/dials/indicators do?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

do you still remember what all the buttons/dials/indicators do?

Pretty much so.  It's like muscle memory, after you do things over and over again, it becomes automatic.  We flew pretty much every day, all day and often into the night, so there was plenty of practice.  The Cobra is only about 36" wide at the cockpit, so the two pilot compartments are very compact.  Everything was well within easy reach.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Great writeup thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:08:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$500, really????  Were they getting many takers at that price?  Hell I'm going to go get one and set-up a little business if they were...................just kidding.

It was $500 for a 15 minute ride. They seemed to have quite a few people taking the ride.
They also had a Huey there for rides and it was $50 for a 15 minute ride.

They were set up to take CCs and people were gladly paying those prices.

I honestly think it was a bit high but I would pay it for a ride in a Cobra(I've ridden in Hueys for free so wouldn't pay for that) since it is my all time favorite helicopter.

Have you seen the Sky Soldiers?

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Smells like a book to me!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Outstanding.

Thanks.

For all you did.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Will need to read the rest of this later. Thanks for writing it up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#38]
What.  A.  Post.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:31:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It was $500 for a 15 minute ride. They seemed to have quite a few people taking the ride.
They also had a Huey there for rides and it was $50 for a 15 minute ride.

They were set up to take CCs and people were gladly paying those prices.
I honestly think it was a bit high but I would pay it for a ride in a Cobra(I've ridden in Hueys for free so wouldn't pay for that) since it is my all time favorite helicopter.

Have you seen the Sky Soldiers?

Yes, they were at an air show up in Punta Gorda a couple of years ago.  Very impressive, I enjoyed seeing them.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 5:33:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Next story is going up now entitled "Do it now, they're at the door - Cobra Tale #2".
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

English please, for us lowly peons.

ETA:

CAS = Close Air Support
AO = Area of Operation

But I don't know the rest.

Sorry, I blacked out.
CCA is close combat attack.  It is an Army only doctrine (but the marine cas doctrine is similar).  Here the AHs talk directly to, coordinate with, and work for the senior ground commander.  It allows great flexibility and is much safer as the senior AH driver has the best aerial perspective and the senior ground commander has the best ground perspective and both are generally the most experienced.  When there are few air assets and few ground assets it is the most effective form of a2g coordination.
COIN is cool guy talk for counter insurgency.  But you could say guerilla warfare or small wars.
CAS in air force land is where you have airframes stacked up waiting to drop bombs.  it takes a lot of coordination in the air space but it locks up your flexibility and is designed to be largely pre-planned.  good for repelling soviet hordes, which the doctrine was designed to do.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Awesome!  Could you IM me links to your stories as they come up?  

Every time I've worked with helos, I love it.  You guys really do go above and beyond to help, and it's a lifesaver Thank you
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Looks like G Model stuff.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Quoted:

S model.  You missed the Helmet Sight indicators and controls.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

S model.  You missed the Helmet Sight indicators and controls.

You're right.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#46]
awesome post and thnx for your service love reading stories like these. They have any idea on body count from the rescue? Gotta imagine they took quite a beating
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 1:16:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Tag for later!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Bump to spread the awesome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#49]
That's a great account.

Thank You.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Great story, thanks for your service. WELCOME HOME
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top