Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chili = bean soup
Chili con carne = bean soup with meat.

Either way, beans are there …
View Quote

Nah, bro.  I like beans in my chili, but bean soup is something else, and it is also friggin' wonderful.  It's what you use your hambone for, after Christmas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Chili should be a seamless experience, every bite a homage to its rich heritage. Beans are the speed bumps on the road to flavor town. Why would anyone willingly choose a bumpy ride?
View Quote

My chili has so much fucking flavor in it, that the beans absorb the flavor and there is still plenty to spare.  That's why it takes two days to cook.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I made this chart eons ago, and most of the people in this thread seem to follow the pattern...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/38579/11120.JPG
View Quote

It looks like you did some of your research for this in San Francisco bath houses.   With that bit of context, it makes perfect sense why they wouldn't want to be eating beans.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Beans belong in chili.
View Quote

Spoken like a true poor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#5]
There’s a historian that says that even the Chili Queens used beans occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Beans are disgusting filler for poors who can't afford a true all meat chili.

The same goes for rice, etc.

You may ADD beans TO chili, but beans do not MAKE chili, chili.

now... /thread.

View Quote

On a side note, the habits I formed when I was broke as fuck, made me the man I am today.  They are good habits to have, even though it's good to splurge now and then.

My chili has beans.  It also has ground venison, to help fill the spaces between chunks of venison backstrap, because I like venison with my venison.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another argument in favor of Texas: The powdered spice most people call chili is primarily made from peppers in Texas. They certainly weren't grown in Pennsylvania, Illinois, or some of the other states that blanch at the idea of spice. Ergo: Chili is a Texas dish.

Q.E.D.
View Quote

The twenty pepper plants I have growing in my garden disagree.  You may have heard of these things called gardens, filled with green things.  You start off with rich soil (yes, I know, another foreign concept to a Texan).  Then you add water.  Water is this wet substance that is also rare in many parts of Texas, except for when you get hurricanes.  Then you add sun, something that you have too much of (except for when you don't, and half of your state is freezing to death, in what we called "shorts and t shirt weather" up here).

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There’s a historian that says that even the Chili Queens used beans occasionally.
View Quote

Reason # 87 why you should NEVER piss off your cook ...

... They would spit in the bowl or worse yet add BEANS to your chili!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You can’t even get Tex to admit that chili is actually Mexican and not cowboy.
View Quote

I think it's more Texican than anything else.  Texican is what Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne) called LaBoeuf (Glen Campbell).  Which makes this the perfect place to insert an appropriate quote about Texans, by Rooster Cogburn (John Wayne).  

Mattie Ross:
That tastes like iron.

LaBoeuf:
You're lucky to be where water's so handy. I've seen the time I've drank out of a filthy hoofprint - and was glad to get it.

Rooster Cogburn:
If ever I meet one of you Texas waddies who ain't drunk water from a hoofprint, I think I'll... I'll shake their hand or buy 'em a Daniel Webster cigar.

Rooster Cogburn:
How long you boys down there been mounted on sheep?

I know this hurts, my brothers from Texas.  Breathe deeply.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You said annal

hehe
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s not Mexican,  it’s Spanish.  Developed from a stew Spanish settlers cooked. If it was Mexican it likely would’ve been all beans, lol.

It also featured more game meats than livestock, venison being more popular.  So beef would’ve been a “when available” ingredient.  Maybe more common to cowboys on cattle drives than the average settler, but cowboys ate alot of beans too. Have to remember that cows were the rancher’s commodity, not the drover’s.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Texas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Says the Yankee heathen.

Beans do NOT belong in chili
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beans belong in chili.

Says the Yankee heathen.

The whole damn kitchen goes into chili!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beans belong in chili.

Says the Yankee heathen.

Just because y'all decided that goulash should be called chili don't make it so.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can almost guarantee that the original "chili" made by the so called Chili Queens in San Antonio area very likely had beans. At least some had beans.
View Quote

Unlikely.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course not because even Mexico agrees its not their dish.
And it was a "city" dish before cowboys had anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It'll be cold day in hell that I take culinary advice about chili from Maryland and Ohio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because y'all decided that goulash should be called chili don't make it so.

It'll be cold day in hell that I take culinary advice about chili from Maryland and Ohio.
I'm a Texan, I know how to make chili.  Maryland's default is just to add Old Bay to everything.  It's disgusting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Chili con carne, from advertisements and cookbooks, 1940 to 1965.
All beans.
Sure there’s a few old cookbooks with Texas / no-bean recipes, but the vast majority of your parents and grandparents were eating chili with beans, unless they were from some very specific regions of the southwest.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not defending either method, I LOVE me a bowl of Texas red with some crazy spice, but I also cook up a pot of midwestern “bean soup” style every once in a while because it’s what I grew up on. Either way, it never tops rice or spaghetti… fuck that haha!
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#20]
This is why I make and eat chile colorado. The rest of you can argue with the northerners about whatever bullshit mix you're all working on
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If your chili makes a good condiment for a hot dog, you made your chili wrong.  Here's a hint:  There's no ground meat.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I eat whatever tastes good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Says the Yankee heathen.

View Quote

This, though I do like Italian sausage and Pineapple on my pizza  from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Pineapple on pizza is delicious but needs to be small pieces.

Chili doesnt come from texas but i do enjoy a texas red. Probably one of the best chili dishes out there.

The yankee bean soup still has a place... It has some nostalgia for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Again?
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#26]
FPNI.
I like the textural difference, and the flavor. Plus it adds protein, fiber and nutrients.

For pregnant women, beans are high in folate, thought to prevent neural tube defects. What better vehicle than chili?
Add in calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium, not to mention zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, and vitamins B1, B6, E, and K...

Good stuff. It makes chili not just beef soup.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Beans in chili, the rest is spaghetti sauce
View Quote

If you think chili without beans is ground beef with tomato, basil, and oregano, you're doing it wrong.  Really wrong.  The saddest part is that if you actually had real chili, you would never want that bean soup garbage again.  You just don't know what you're missing.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nah, bro.  I like beans in my chili, but bean soup is something else, and it is also friggin' wonderful.  It's what you use your hambone for, after Christmas.
View Quote

This is true. Love some ham and bean soup. Not chili.
Split pea is good too, the cousin to bean soup.
Heck, I’ll even do lentils…
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Chili con carne, from advertisements and cookbooks, 1940 to 1965.
All beans.
Sure there’s a few old cookbooks with Texas / no-bean recipes, but the vast majority of your parents and grandparents were eating chili with beans, unless they were from some very specific regions of the southwest.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/390x254q90/r/923/ogqQMP.jpg

Don’t get me wrong I’m not defending either method, I LOVE me a bowl of Texas red with some crazy spice, but I also cook up a pot of midwestern “bean soup” style every once in a while because it’s what I grew up on. Either way, it never tops rice or spaghetti… fuck that haha!
View Quote

The majority of Americans allegedly vote for Democrats, too.  It doesn't make them right.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This, though I do like Italian sausage and Pineapple on my pizza  from time to time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Says the Yankee heathen.

You’re a Yankee that knows chili, but you lost me on the pizza…
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Remember, chili aficionados, stand your ground and let the world know that chili's glory should not be overshadowed!
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Biden puts beans in his chili, so I can see why America is going down the drain, people here are just like Biden.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It’s not Mexican,  it’s Spanish.  Developed from a stew Spanish settlers cooked. If it was Mexican it likely would’ve been all beans, lol.
View Quote

Mexican food is just a mixture of who has been there, who was trading there, and what ingredients were available. Just like anywhere else in the world.

I’ve always known no beans chili as chili colorado. I grew up eating it from a Mexican restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is true. Love some ham and bean soup. Not chili.
Split pea is good too, the cousin to bean soup.
Heck, I’ll even do lentils…
View Quote

In northeast Ohio in the fall, the trees are spectacular, such that they had (and I think still have) a thing on weekends, called "The Fall Foliage Tour."  One of the stops was the Chatham Apple Butter Festival, where you could get apple butter, apple cider and incredible ham and bean soup.  I'll never forget as a little kid being amazed by what had to be a 50 gallon pot of bean soup, with a guy stirring it with a giant, two-handed spoon of some type.  I remember asking my dad, "Dad!  Is he stirring that soup with a canoe paddle?"
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don’t put beans in my chili.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not rating this thread until the Ohio guys chime in.

@TheWhitePill

I don’t put beans in my chili.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
FPNI.
I like the textural difference, and the flavor. Plus it adds protein, fiber and nutrients.

For pregnant women, beans are high in folate, thought to prevent neural tube defects. What better vehicle than chili?
Add in calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium, not to mention zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, and vitamins B1, B6, E, and K...

Good stuff. It makes chili not just beef soup.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#39]
It's not chili with out the beans
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Another "stop liking what I don't (or do) like" thread.  

Ford vs chevy, 45acp vs 9mm, and the lists go on and on.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I’m sure the first guy to invent a peanut butter sandwich would cry sacrilege at those putting jelly in his creation.

That doesn’t mean it’s not an improvement.

You Texans may have invented chili, but us yanks perfected it, with beans.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Sometimes I’ll put 45acp or occasionally 9mm in my chili.

But NEVER BEANS

Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:49:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It would then be called a peanut butter AND jelly sandwich - not a peanut butter sandwich.

Beaners can't meme.
View Quote

Lol, touché. I brought chili into the office last winter. Two Texans stationed with me, they both loved my chili, but refused to call it chili.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Beans do not improve or perfect anything.  They are cheap filler used in a slumgullion that you yanks have decided should be called chili.  The reality is that your so called chili shares more in common with goulash than it does chili.  The addition of chili powder to your dish of Eastern European descent does not warrant a new name, and it has little to nothing in common with actual chili.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I’m sure the first guy to invent a peanut butter sandwich would cry sacrilege at those putting jelly in his creation.

That doesn’t mean it’s not an improvement.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Beans do not improve or perfect anything.  They are cheap filler used in a slumgullion that you yanks have decided should be called chili.  The reality is that your so called chili shares more in common with goulash than it does chili.  The addition of chili powder to your dish of Eastern European descent does not warrant a new name, and it has little to nothing in common with actual chili.
View Quote

I’ve been stationed in Texas, had “authentic” chili prepared by Texans. I still prefer beans in my chili. It just isn’t chili without beans.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Chili doesn't have tomatoes or any tomato products either.
View Quote

A greater sin of chili made of a tomato base than beans. At least the poors have an excuse. The ignorant do not.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Wtf is is so hard to understand. Beans are filler. Filler is used to stretch dishes to feed more people.

Do you make your dish with no filler and feed 40 people or add filler and feed 120. Completely up to you. I know if I was in a chow line id rather have chili with beans than a bowl of air.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is why I make and eat chile colorado. The rest of you can argue with the northerners about whatever bullshit mix you're all working on
View Quote

They would just use green tomatoes and tofu if they did. Otherwise it would just be guacamole soup.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top