Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/17/2021 9:08:57 PM EDT
I have used EOTechs for many years. From 512s to XPS3 to EXPS3. Really liked the reticle, glass and nice FOV. Also seemed well constructed. Never had any issues with thermal drift. Never questioned it on a go to gun.

However, now that I have owned a Sig Romeo 8T I will say that Sig knocked it out of the park with this one. Great optic and I’m struggling to find flaws with it.

Battery life: The Romeo 8T kills the EXPS3. I don’t have enough time with the Sig to confirm their claim of +100k hrs of run time. But I believe it. CR123 battery, so not some hard to find battery.

Glass: The glass is very clear. I dare say it’s just as clear as the EOTech.

Reticle: Sig gives you 4 options that you can cycle through. But while the EOTech looks like a 360p/720p reticle, the Sig Romeo lights up like a 4K. It neon sign bright and clear. Works well under NV as well.

Design: both are made from 7075 and both have a titanium shroud. But the Romeo has built in flip caps/kill flash. Just a nice design imo. The Sig mount isn’t QD like the EXPS3, but really I prefer the Sig mount. I’m gonna put it on a gun and aren’t going to use the QD once it is all setup. Sig designed the Romeo 8T for their MG338 submission. So holding zero kids term isn’t something I’m worried about for my 5.56/.300 BLK use.

Price: Similar to EOTech. Street price is sometimes lower than EOTech. Just hard to find it in stock.

Real world use: Yeah the EOTech has more real world use. Only makes sense since it is an older optic.  But besides the Sig NGSW/MG338 submission there are public pictures of Tier 1 units using/testing it. If this Sig optic is as good as I feel it is, it’s use is only going to grow.

Size/weight: comparable to the EOTech.

EXPS3: 96.5 x 58.4 x 73.7 mm
Romeo 8T: 90.9 x 56.1 x 64.5 mm

EXPS3: 11.2 oz
Romeo 8T: 13.7 oz

The Romeo 8T is a little smaller than the EOTech size wise but also a little heavier. I’d call it a toss up and a wash. Not significant either way.

Again, I’m having a hard time finding any complaints with the Romeo 8T. Just a great optic. EOTech is good but it shows it’s age and the Sig is just better overall.

And the Sig is assembled in Oregon, USA. No worry about CHYNA optic.

EOTech fanboys, come in and tell me why I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Very good write up.

NM Found it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
But is it holographic tho.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But is it holographic tho.  
View Quote

Doesn't look like it. Seems it'd be more comparable to an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
You’re trying to compare a Holographic optic to a RDS.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The 8T does look really good.  Kind of goofy to have such a big red dot these days though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has an eotech like circle dot reticle as an option.  Don't see many led red dots with that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
And I'd rather have an Aimpoint than a Sig.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The 8T is our duty optic, it’s a solid piece of gear….
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tell us where the parts are actually made though......

Hint: they're not making circuit boards and diodes in OR......

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It has an eotech like circle dot reticle as an option.  Don't see many led red dots with that.
View Quote

More to the eotech than just the recticle.

Holos are faster with minimal parallax. Trade off is that their more complicated which leads to less reliability and decreased battery life.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know.  Just saying.  Most people that like eotech tell me it's the reticle that they like.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know.  Just saying.  Most people that like eotech tell me it's the reticle that they like.
View Quote

Gotcha.  

I love mine for more than just that.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]
How much did yours cost you?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no experience with the Romeo 8T but I know they were trying to pimp it for some pretty hard .mil contracts so I’m assuming they put their best foot forward on the optic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Holos are faster with minimal parallax. Trade off is that their more complicated which leads to less reliability and decreased battery life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it's because they use a laser instead of an LED that the battery life is shit.  It's my biggest gripe.  Well, that and the loss of purge.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Holosun AMES is better than both.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve never found a Holographic to be faster than a RDS on a shot timer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Parallax?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#20]
You can debate holographic vs. laser vs. LED but at the end of the day, I don't care about the minutia of how the optic gets its performance. I just care about the performance and its use. Ultimately that is all that matters at the end of the day. The Sig has put a great foot forward with this optic and has improved on issues the EOTech has had. Namely with battery life.

Again, I see no downsides with the Romeo 8T versus the EXPS3 if you are lookin at an optic in this class (UH-II, 510C...etc.). Sig knocked it out of the park with this optic.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I love the Romeo 5
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#22]
At $600, why not get the aimpoint or eotech?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#23]
NV comparison?

Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have Aimpoint T2, Comp M4 and Comp M5s. Different optics for different setups. The Sig is better than the EOTech. Aimpoint does things differently than either the EOTech or Romeo 8T that makes it worthwhile for certain setups.

Quoted:

$520s.

Quoted:

No, I'm comparing two optics that are in the same class of optics and price range and that attempt to do optics in much of the same manner, even if they get to the final answer in slightly different manners.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask the DoD/Uncle Sam/JSOC.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve had multiple eotechs and multiple aimpoints. I don’t understand the difference between holographic and RDS. They work the same for me.” What am I missing?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Parallax?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Parallax?

Nothing that I have noticed. It runs like an EOTech to be honest.

Quoted:
The 8T is our duty optic, it’s a solid piece of gear….

@Ghostface Anything regarding what I said above you would disagree with or add?
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

$520s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$520s.

Oof, nice writeup but that's too close to Aimpoint territory to be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Different strokes for different folks. I'll stick with EOThingie and will happily buy your old ones. You can run the Sig.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks nice, but they should have put some effort into a QD mount option for that price.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#31]
My stong bias prevents me from even considering Sig optics.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#32]
IPX8 rated....hard pass.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#33]
If it ain't green, you can color me uninterested. And people really need to stop getting hung up on country of origin. I work for a federal contractor where .gov has bought thousands of hard drives for us over the years with a couple hundred more every year, and not a single one is made in the US.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If it ain't green, you can color me uninterested. And people really need to stop getting hung up on country of origin. I work for a federal contractor where .gov has bought thousands of hard drives for us over the years with a couple hundred more every year, and not a single one is made in the US.
View Quote
Sorry, but origin is important for many people.  Where my money goes matters to me, and it should to you too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sorry, but origin is important for many people.  Where my money goes matters to me, and it should to you too.
View Quote

It does matter to me, I just don't consider it to be the most important factor. If American optics manufacturers want my money then they'd better step up their game.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Does it have a one push button to switch to and from NV setting? I don't understand why all optics with NV settings especially ones designed recently don't have this.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I’ve had multiple eotechs and multiple aimpoints. I don’t understand the difference between holographic and RDS. They work the same for me.” What am I missing?
View Quote

Completely different technology. As a result the Holographic has almost zero parallax and shitty battery life.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does it have a one push button to switch to and from NV setting? I don't understand why all optics with NV settings especially ones designed recently don't have this.
View Quote

I have used nod's.  When using them I wouldn't use non-nod settings.  And I really wouldn't want a button that could be accidentally hit that would make it non-nod.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup.
They're far and few between.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yup.
They're far and few between.
View Quote

I meant higher end red dots. I know lots of cheap chinese ones have a lot of wacky reticles.  You don't see that in Aimpoints.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Is it holographic?  Does the reticle stay the same size when used with a magnifier?

How does it do in the cold?

Parallax shift?

Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I meant higher end red dots. I know lots of cheap chinese ones have a lot of wacky reticles.  You don't see that in Aimpoints.
View Quote
Fair enough but isn't this SIG optic just another made with parts from China optic?
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is it holographic?  Does the reticle stay the same size when used with a magnifier?

Parallax shift?

View Quote

That's what I was trying to remember.  Holographics work better with magnifiers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:42:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fair enough but isn't this SIG optic just another made with parts from China optic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not quite. I haven’t seen Sig release a breakdown of what they manufacture themselves vs supply from outside vendors. But I know they have been trying to bring more and more stateside.

It apparently meets DoD requirements regarding manufacture and parts country of origin.

Quoted:

Parallax shift?

Parallax shift performance is equal to my EOTechs.

Haven’t had winter to test cold weather performance yet.

The Sig reticle does just as well under magnification as the EOTech does under magnification. The Sig gives you 4 reticle options so you can select exactly what you want. With the BDC under magnification, it is very clear.

Quoted:

That's what I was trying to remember.  Holographics work better with magnifiers.

Haven’t noticed any differences between the Romeo 8T and EOTechs under magnification.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Why the careful wording assembled in USA? I can’t find anywhere on their site that it even says assembled in USA, please cite.  

Eotech says “Since 1996, EOTECH Holographic Weapon Sights (HWS) have been designed, developed and manufactured in the US.”
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:01:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The gov can buy what it wants from where and I’ll buy what I want and from where, we have different requirements.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Who cares where it’s made. Does it work? If so, it’s better than an EOTech.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Neat.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:18:50 AM EDT
[#49]
You getting paid for this?  Because this has that greasy feeling like when a sponsored shooter starts talking to you about how great Swamp Fox optics are.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#50]
all of those components are made in china. hard pass.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top