Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/1/2021 3:35:46 PM EDT
I am glad to see that the collaboration between our countries about military industry and military technology keeps being one of the strongest in the world. After we adopted the F35 fighter (which we are now producing in Italy, i think under license), last april the US navy confirmed it will buy a variant of the italian FREMM frigate, produced by Fincantieri.

As i understood we are talking about a 5,6 billion contact. This will help my country in these dark times and i am sure the new frigates will serve the US navy well.

As a sidenote, i think the frigates will sport also OTO-Melara 76 mm automatic cannons: with guided projectiles and 120 rpm they are real beasts.

Now we should buy some A-10's and you should buy some Centauro II's or Freccia's.

Newsflash: US Navy will buy up to $5.6 billion worth of Italian frigates (and will make them uglier)
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
congrats
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Are they going to be built in Italian yards or licensed to American yards?

There is a yard up in the Great Lakes that is owned by an Italian company.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#3]
And please also export some of your hot womenz and I don't mean the Jersey Shore type
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Float It Again Tony
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And please also export some of your hot womenz and I don't mean the Jersey Shore type
View Quote

Been to Italy.

No such thing
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Several. Fincantieri Marine Group builds one of the LCS variants in Marinette, Wisconsin

Across the bay in Sturgeon Bay is another FMG owned yard. They had a facility in Green Bay that built Coast Guard aluminum boats last I knew.

ETA: looks like the new frigate will be built in Marinette as well.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/corporate/fincantieri-marinette-marine-welcomes-l3harris-to-frigate-team
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't this happen a year ago?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry my friend. You can have all the weapons, Cars, fashionable clothes and tasty food you want but not the women.. for them you have to come living here ??
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

More or less. I just discovered It because our news are full of pandemic shit all the time
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

More or less. I just discovered It because our news are full of pandemic shit all the time
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's currently known as the Constellation-class frigate.  I just wish we were buying about 50 of the things on contract, to get them built and replace the LCS.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm waiting for NAVSEA to weigh in with thousands of "required" design changes which will add tens of billions to the cost and years to the schedule.

For NAVSEA to accept the Italian frigates without "customization", would mean NAVSEA isn't needed and could be de-funded. This is something a swamp full of .gov bureaucrats will never allow.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
After reading all the problems with the LPD San Antonio, maybe we should let someone else take a crack at it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for NAVSEA to weigh in with thousands of required design changes which will add tens of billions to the cost and years to the schedule.

For NAVSEA to accept the Italian frigates without "customization", would mean NAVSEA isn't needed and could be de-funded. This is something a swamp full of .gov bureaucrats will never allow.
View Quote
If memory serves, it apparently will be required to have a completely different US designed and built power plant after the first 10, so as to maintain maximum boondoggle.  Also they've reinforced and thickened the steel throughout, because reasons, requiring slight redesign of some spaces to allow for firefighting, etc.  And gone for the "maximum bird-shittery" yardarm mast as opposed to an enclosed mast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the yard where they will be built - Fincantieri Marinette Marine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, like Italy's tanks, I hope they have backup lights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#17]
IIRC they are going with 57mm main gun instead of the 76 since the gun's primary purpose will be anti air/drone/missile.     Antiship capability will be various missiles.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#18]
120 RPM on a 76mm?! Damn that's pretty good firepower.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok so we will have the Guido Navy ships? Nice..

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They should have gone with the Dutch Absalon-class ships.
View Quote

The swamp Germans design a good ship.

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:10:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Made us a offer we couldn't refuse.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Sexy boats.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After reading all the problems with the LPD San Antonio, maybe we should let someone else take a crack at it.
View Quote

I could go raid Bass Pro Shops and probably give an option nearly as useful.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you know what happens to hawt Italian wimmin as they age ???  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
120 RPM on a 76mm?! Damn that's pretty good firepower.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Out of production, goofy design compromises for multi mission flex deck.  Maersk only built two.

I think buying good proven foreign designs is a fantastic idea for the Navy.  It sure beats the snafu we have been mucking around with the Ford, Spruance, and the LCS.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you know what happens to hawt Italian wimmin as they age ???  
View Quote

Maybe you are referring to italian-americans..
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not since DeRuyter has the Dutch Navy been very good.  Look at Doorman during ABDA in the Pacific.  . Now, Regia Marina de Roma knew how to crew their ships:
Ben-Hur (1959) - Rowing of the Galley Slaves HD
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean, just for the name.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't see why the ONLY super power Navy would be using ships designed by what only be described as the naval equivalent of bench warmers.

There is nothing other navies do better than we do ,  pretty sure that has been proven continually since  WWII .  The British at this point do not rule the seas and have not in 80 plus years.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know who you’re thinking of
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Good.

The italian frigates are sweet ships.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Are they gonna have poppers, cheese sticks, and pizza night EVERY NIGHT?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can't see why the ONLY super power Navy would be using ships designed by what only be described as the naval equivalent of bench warmers.

There is nothing other navies do better than we do ,  pretty sure that has been proven continually since  WWII .  The British at this point do not rule the seas and have not in 80 plus years.
View Quote

Apparently other navies design good vessels at affordable prices better than we do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Oh yay, just what our military needs. More globalization. Don't want to use American workers to make American ships in American dockyards. Nope. Gotta use third worlders and sub par materials in foreign yards on a foreign design. Disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Apparently other navies design good vessels at affordable prices better than we do.
View Quote

OK  if you say so....     ...  That is why we are so far behind all the other "naval powers"  

I do not like our military relying on foreign countries for our equipment needs.  Everything we field should be designed here and made here .  

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
The FREMM is an excellent parent design, and is a wonderfully capable surface combatant.

The newest non-carrier surface vessel procured by the US Navy is the LCS classes, and one of those is a dysfunctional piece of Lockheed shit.  So for non-carrier surface combatants, the Italians designs are far superior to anything adopted by the US navy lately.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

These bench warmers build excellent warships since the first punic war straight to the Maritime Republics
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Are they gonna have poppers, cheese sticks, and pizza night EVERY NIGHT?
View Quote

And ropes are made of spaghetti
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

OK  if you say so....     ...  That is why we are so far behind all the other "naval powers"  

I do not like our military relying on foreign countries for our equipment needs.  Everything we field should be designed here and made here .  

View Quote
Are you a Lockheed or Boeing lobbyist?  Everything 100% designed and made here that has been adopted within the last....30 years has been a dumpster fire that could only be doused with mountains of taxpayer funds.

The Constellation class are being built in the US, by US dock workers, using a design that already exists.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oh yay, just what our military needs. More globalization. Don't want to use American workers to make American ships in American dockyards. Nope. Gotta use third worlders and sub par materials in foreign yards on a foreign design. Disgusting.
View Quote

Ships Will be built in the US as far as i understood. And Europe is not third world by the way for now
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It’s being built in Wisconsin.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s being built in Wisconsin.  

That looks like a troll account.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Italy isn’t a third world nation. Don’t be absurd.

Quoted:

It’s because they need to.

Ironically, so do we.

Quoted:

I think everyone would prefer it but US industry has struggled to pull its head from its ass and make what needs to be made. The Euros are pushing their shit in on many weapons systems. They need to get it together.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Been to Italy.

No such thing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been to Italy.

No such thing

Monica Bellucci disagrees
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You

Are

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Italy is the opposite of the US. The hotties are in the suburbs. They can’t afford to live where the tourists live, because they aren’t old.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top