Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
My father lives there with wife #5. He loves it and is out at parties often. He is 82
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in these 55+ communities all the time for work.

They're not as bad as the urban legends make them, but the degeneracy certainly exists.  Some old whore got arrested for fucking dudes right there on the town square for everyone to watch.

They are extremely depressing. All the fancy landscaping is a thin veneer covering a whole lot of misery. Tons of alcoholism and pill popping, (almost seems more prevalent among the women which is kinda of surprising,) domestic issues all over, endless busybodies, and don't forget the degenerate offspring staying in spare bedrooms.

Many of these folks are not growing old gracefully to say the least.

I don't really understand why these people want to exist in a place completely devoid of youth or family. I talk to people that are clearly depressed as hell and they'll mention that they have a big wonderful family in a different state but hardly ever see them.  For what? some illusion of luxury? Golf? It's just really bizarre to me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live 15 minutes from the villages, done tons of stuff there. It’s awesome. The streets are clean, the landscaping is beautiful all the time, it’s 99% white (super polite, low crime). Maybe 1 in 20 people have visible tattoos. It’s like going to a downtown area, but not crowded shoulder to shoulder with 90%+ hispanics like everywhere else in Florida. You can go to the square and look in a couple shops, eat at a nice but affordable restaurant, grab some haagen daz ice cream, and sit on the pier by the water as the sun sets. All while there is a band playing live music that is usually classic rock, or country, but at the very least isn’t ghetto puerto-rican shit like I hear the rest of my waking life.

I’ve lived this close for more than 10 years, been there hundreds of times, and have done date nights there several times. I’m 26, my gf is 21, we have a good time there. It feels like going out, but zero ghetto shit. It’s also all free entrance and entertainment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
And an interesting twist to the retirement community, a high school:

https://www.tvcs.org
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
High STD rates are an urban legend.

No solid data backs it up.
View Quote

FAFO
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the crime is a result of adult children that move in with their parents.  Large number of sex offenders due to limited children residents.  The surrounding area is dedicated to services and service related employees.  Lots of predators follow prey.

Restaurants are good unless you like spicy food.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What color luffa do you have hanging on your golf cart
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Villages has one of the highest STD rates in the nation!  Low male to female ratio and no danger of getting pregnant (so no condom use) leads to a super spreader environment.
View Quote

Also a lot of women in the area looking to make money on the side from the old guys.

Supposedly a lot of affairs as well.

If this is the video done by the balled guy who did all the border videos, it doesn’t look like The Villages is an affluent retirement community to me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I service a few MRI sites there, to me it looks like a nice place to live.

BTW, they're called golf cars, not carts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google results disagree with you

See
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I take the gf there since it's nicer than the surrounding areas.  Which clearly has nothing to do with a lack of diversity...

It's weird to be the youngest people around alot of the time when we go shopping and what not.  Also golf cart madness is entertaining.

It can be said that they fled their Yankee paradise up north for a small fake version of America that they remember from their childhood perhaps and made sure to keep out as much of the "new" Americans out of sight as possible.  
Thanks for allowing your towns to go to shit and then fleeing to your own little geriatric paradise you old fucks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Place gives off BIG HOA vibes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Florida...Gods waiting room
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw Peter's video a while back. Looks like that place would be 100 times better than dying alone in some dingy apartment somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I bought a home in Sun City,Tx a 55+ Del Webb community of about 10K homes and 17K residents. Sun City is on the north side of Georgetown, a city of around 75K, and is approximately 35 miles north of Austin. It's a beautiful place with three golf courses, private lake, beautifully landscaped, and friendly people everywhere. It's also a golf cart community so probably 50% of the residents own and drive them. No kids, no traffic, crime is almost nonexistent, what's not to like? Our kids and grandkids live in Liberty Hill, about ten miles west, so we are able to have lots of quality time with them. Our home is on the north side of the community so we're pretty much out in the country and downtown Georgetown is probably eight miles away, at least.
Sun City
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My wife and I bought a home in Sun City,Tx a 55+ Del Webb community of about 10K homes and 17K residents. Sun City is on the north side of Georgetown, a city of around 75K, and is approximately 35 miles north of Austin. It's a beautiful place with three golf courses, private lake, beautifully landscaped, and friendly people everywhere. It's also a golf cart community so probably 50% of the residents own and drive them. No kids, no traffic, crime is almost nonexistent, what's not to like? Our kids and grandkids live in Liberty Hill, about ten miles west, so we are able to have lots of quality time with them. Our home is on the north side of the community so we're pretty much out in the country and downtown Georgetown is probably eight miles away, at least.
Sun City
View Quote
Got an old friend that lives there, he and his wife love it.  The golf cart thing is pretty neat.  I took the tour and the various gyms, health club/rec centers and pools are very nice.  I may end up there some day.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Name 10..

I live in Village of Tequesta, it's a wealthy, 99% WASP, beach town. It's pretty similar to this..my wife is 49 and I am 57 now. I retired when CV hit...wife sold her medical practice to the local hospital so we are done. I would have no problem living there except it's all yankes
View Quote

I have taken my boat down your way a few times.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So all the retirees basically have little Hunter Bidens running around there.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What color luffa do you have hanging on your golf cart
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually there are golf carts and then there are low speed vehicles.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Are you telling me there's nothing available in all of Del Boca Vista!??
View Quote
I'm gonna be all over that shuffle board court!'
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#24]
It is actually a pretty cool place. It does have problems but they are on a much smaller scale than most cities. Every weekend there are multiple events taking place with plenty to see and do. Gold carts have their own roadways and are definitely the way to get around. Remember these are old folks, many have aches and pains you can't imagine. Being able to go out and do something with out a long ass drive and dealing with traffic is a god send. 10-15 at most minutes away by golf cart is damn convenient. Everything is handicap accessible and every business employees know to be quick about helping those who need it.
As for the economy, Florida is Gods waiting room. The residents know they don't have long left and are determined to make the best of what is left. Spend whatever you have, no guaranty you will be around next year to even do your taxes. Sure it ain't for everyone but for some it is awesome.

IIRC they even have a range nearby.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#25]
M-I-L lived there until she died (from alcoholism).

The square?  Hundreds of leathery, sweaty old people line dancing.  A band that thought they would be the next She-Na-Na playing 50's tunes and hoping for something other than business cards in the tip jar.

Tons of drunks on golf carts blasting across roundabouts.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Alcohol is the dirty little secret in SW FL. My city runs on vodka. Every activity is based on drinking.

I would have liked to live in the Villages just for the pussy. I’m basically lazy and hate to work for it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#27]
To be honest, if it wasn't in Florida I would like to live there.
I just never cared all that much for FL, don't dislike it just don't like it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I live 15 minutes from the villages, done tons of stuff there. It’s awesome. The streets are clean, the landscaping is beautiful all the time, it’s 99% white (super polite, low crime). Maybe 1 in 20 people have visible tattoos. It’s like going to a downtown area, but not crowded shoulder to shoulder with 90%+ hispanics like everywhere else in Florida. You can go to the square and look in a couple shops, eat at a nice but affordable restaurant, grab some haagen daz ice cream, and sit on the pier by the water as the sun sets. All while there is a band playing live music that is usually classic rock, or country, but at the very least isn’t ghetto puerto-rican shit like I hear the rest of my waking life.

I’ve lived this close for more than 10 years, been there hundreds of times, and have done date nights there several times. I’m 26, my gf is 21, we have a good time there. It feels like going out, but zero ghetto shit. It’s also all free entrance and entertainment.
View Quote

So, you joined ARF at 15  17 years old?

edit: my math sux , Good on you I guess

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've worked LE in The Villages for twenty years, still do.

Lots of BS in this thread already about STD's and swinger parties... but, believe what you want.

Crime... yes, there most certainly is crime here in The Villages. The Villages IS NOT the "gated community" many people believe that it is thus the place is not insulated from crime. Lots of thefts and fraud connected to service industry workers just like any other community. DUI, drugs, domestic Violence, it's all here. Alcoholic and drug-addicted Middle-age kids of the retirees are a big problem... no love like a mother's love. Suicides are also quite common, we just had a Murder/Suicide.

With that said, it does offer a lot to the retired folk who like crowds, social activities, and an active lifestyle. We hope to move when I retire as the place is just too crowded for our liking, we live in Lady Lake.

View Quote

All this!
My uncle lives there for 7 years. He's a single 66, handsome guy for his age.  Really into Brazil woman.
Has his GF's there all the time.  In 7 years, he has never been invited to a swinger party, or whatever else is said to be there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Alcohol is the dirty little secret in SW FL. My city runs on vodka. Every activity is based on drinking.

I would have liked to live in the Villages just for the pussy. I’m basically lazy and hate to work for it.
View Quote

Since they are old, they should be pretty easy to catch. I suggest homing in on the ones with walkers or canes if you have some mobility issues yourself.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#31]
This also literally popped up in my YT feed last week and I couldn’t stop watching it. Never heard of the place but now I’m intrigued. I’m only 42 (wife 32), so still have time to go.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Name 10..

I live in Village of Tequesta, it's a wealthy, 99% WASP, beach town. It's pretty similar to this..my wife is 49 and I am 57 now. I retired when CV hit...wife sold her medical practice to the local hospital so we are done. I would have no problem living there except it's all yankes
View Quote

lol

"Everything is fine", says the arfmilz
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The price of the homes
View Quote

Sure, that's one way to limit who lives there.  But the non-resident poster said he stops by for dinner and their other venues.  I just wondered what keeps the riff-raff from loitering.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How to they manage to restrict entrance without being [illegally] obvious about it??
View Quote

Price is a filter.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sure, that's one way to limit who lives there.  But the non-resident poster said he stops by for dinner and their other venues.  I just wondered what keeps the riff-raff from loitering.
View Quote

Mainly Karens and an active police force.  I was a member of the Shooters World there before the pandemic and never saw much in the way of riff raff anywhere in the actual villages.  Wife and I would make a day of it, hit the range then go to one of the local establishments for lunch.  Sometimes we'd catch one of the outdoor concerts and have a laugh at the oldies all acting young.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

View Quote

Yep. Somewhere if you can find it I have my first AR thread. I started doing 80 percents because I wanted to build ARs but wasn’t 21 to buy a lower.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This guy knows.  When my wife and i were dating in our 20s 10 years ago we loved going on dates there.  If we still lived close we would still go all the time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep. Somewhere if you can find it I have my first AR thread. I started doing 80 percents because I wanted to build ARs but wasn’t 21 to buy a lower.
View Quote

Alright, alright, alright...
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:38:45 PM EDT
[#39]
My grandparents lived there and I visited often. Honestly, for a retiree who still wants to be social, you could do worse. There’s no shortage of cool things to do there and the community is pretty upscale and well maintained, and quite safe.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:42:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’ve got a family friend who moved there a few years ago. He said he’s invited to swingers/pill popping parties all the time. He’s a retired FF/paramedic and they invite him because he knows CPR
View Quote

So what are the downsides?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#41]
They are sucking the aquifer dry though
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They seem to have everything any typical city has. Banks, hospitals, doctors offices etc. I bet they have something like that too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A great place to have a body removal business/funeral home

They seem to have everything any typical city has. Banks, hospitals, doctors offices etc. I bet they have something like that too.

They do, and multiple churches too. My cousins husband died last year and the services and everythingwere all in The Villages.
Great place to live if you like golf and eating at the club.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How to they manage to restrict entrance without being [illegally] obvious about it??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't. Anyone can go to the restaurants that aren't attracted to the golf clubs. And and obviously anyone can go to the grocery stores like Publix and other for profit businesses.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#44]
When we retire, my wife may start a VD clinic down there.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've got a family friend who moved there a few years ago. He said he's invited to swingers/pill popping parties all the time. He's a retired FF/paramedic and they invite him because he knows CPR
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

View Quote

What's wrong with that?

We need all the young gun owners we can get in this country.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:06:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The price of the homes

Distance. It’s a good hour from a major city. Multiple gun shops and ranges. NFA reviews annual shoot has been nearby the Villages.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:14:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Biden 2020: Drunk Uncle Joe Biden drunk singing The Villages dancing Biden for president
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#49]
I wonder what the legal issues are, if you are a resident, and end up having to raise your minor grandchildren....which is not all that uncommon.  

Do you have to move out of the Villages?

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 3:33:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder what the legal issues are, if you are a resident, and end up having to raise your minor grandchildren....which is not all that uncommon.  

Do you have to move out of the Villages?

View Quote

Why are young people moving to The Villages?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top