Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Legions faced and beat Macedonian phalanxes. Pikes would be nothing new. 1500 men would be brushed aside by the skirmishers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are we talking even strength or being outnumbered now?  
No matter here are a few famous fights:

Morgarten – 1315
The first major use of pole-arm infantry by the Swiss came at the Battle of Morgarten. An estimated 1,500 strong force of Swiss routed a 15,000 strong Austrian force. The Swiss’ weapon of choice was the halberd.

Laupen – 1339
Much like the Battle of the Golden Spurs, the Battle of Laupen is regarded as one in the chain of battles that proved the superiority of well-trained infantry over knights. An outnumbered Swiss force was able to rout a larger force of knights and infantry. Laupen was also the first time the Swiss used the pike in combination with the halberd.

there are a lot of others-battles of Morat, Nancy and sempach....they were always outnumbered
Legions faced and beat Macedonian phalanxes. Pikes would be nothing new. 1500 men would be brushed aside by the skirmishers.
That moment when you dont realize the difference between a Macedonian phalanx and a Swiss Pike formation.

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pikes, Halberds, and crossbows would be fine till the Romans looked them over, viewed the tactics of their deployment, and figured out how to defeat them. I don't suspect it would take them long, even in the field.

Till then they would counter maneuver those pointy stick cumbersome formations into wooded or hilly areas where they would have more of a advantage instead of fighting on more level ground that would favor medieval weapons.

I figure once they saw a halberd they would figure out in a hurry that it's main advantage was hooking and unhorsing cavalrymen. Long pointy poles cut from the countryside with a simple iron hook attached would accomplish the same thing in the short term. Hell a hook of fire hardened wood fitted to a pointy pole would suffice.

As someone else mentioned.....The Romans killing everyone would be a huge confidence shaker for the knight/king class. "Enlightenment" comes with a price when your opponent just wants you and everyone you brought with you dead.
View Quote
Funny, they didn’t adopt the stirrup after fighting Scythians/Parthians...

The Romans were the best of their age, but aren’t the flawless war machine some think. They had their struggles with the Gauls. Medieval heavy cavalry would have wrecked them, combined with infantry and crossbows.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But heavy horse is expensive and there never is very much. The light cav with missile weapons are a bigger threat IMO as the are numerous, fast and dispersed. Slingers to the front!
View Quote
It varied by region.  Light cavalry with missile weapons was more common in Spain, Eastern Europe, and Byzantium.  But you have to be careful with numbers.  Often sources will give numbers for the knights, but each knight usually had several other mounted warriors with him such as squires and men-at-arms.  While often less well armored that the knight, they were still very heavily armored compared to cavalry of Caesar's time.  For instance, at Crecy the French may have had up to 20,000 heavy cavalry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cr%C3%A9cy
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You come sit next to me! Currently reading Cicero's Murder Trials. Rome is my hobby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And after that defeat you see a back and forth between Parthia and Rome for 400 years. Horse DID NOT overwhelm the Roman.
Most Roman generals were smart enough to bring local allies with cavalry armies along with them when campaigning in the east.  One of Crassus' major mistakes was in rejecting aid from the very large Armenian army, because he wanted to be a glory hog.
You come sit next to me! Currently reading Cicero's Murder Trials. Rome is my hobby.
Rome is my hobby

Well, that explains the hand job you're giving Caesar.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pikes, Halberds, and crossbows would be fine till the Romans looked them over, viewed the tactics of their deployment, and figured out how to defeat them. I don't suspect it would take them long, even in the field.

Till then they would counter maneuver those pointy stick cumbersome formations into wooded or hilly areas where they would have more of a advantage instead of fighting on more level ground that would favor medieval weapons.

I figure once they saw a halberd they would figure out in a hurry that it's main advantage was hooking and unhorsing cavalrymen. Long pointy poles cut from the countryside with a simple iron hook attached would accomplish the same thing in the short term. Hell a hook of fire hardened wood fitted to a pointy pole would suffice.

As someone else mentioned.....The Romans killing everyone would be a huge confidence shaker for the knight/king class. "Enlightenment" comes with a price when your opponent just wants you and everyone you brought with you dead.
View Quote
You literally just described what the Swiss did. Lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#6]
12-15th century Europeans donkey punch the romans
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rome is my hobby

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And after that defeat you see a back and forth between Parthia and Rome for 400 years. Horse DID NOT overwhelm the Roman.
Most Roman generals were smart enough to bring local allies with cavalry armies along with them when campaigning in the east.  One of Crassus' major mistakes was in rejecting aid from the very large Armenian army, because he wanted to be a glory hog.
Rome is my hobby

It's amusing as I was armor and despised and mocked the infantry (combat arms play) and here I am defending an infantry army over a more mobile and powerful but smaller force. Defend it I will and not because of 'rumor' or 'myth.' Do you know why we know so much about the Romans? Because they wrote it all down. Do you know why we don't know details of the middle ages? They couldn't read. I put my money on the ancients who were not only more organized AND civilized...they were tougher.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Medieval English long bowmen would kill a lot of Romans.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Medieval English long bowmen would kill a lot of Romans.
View Quote
And yet the bayonet saw much use during the Napoleonic era...
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#10]
One advantage I will give to Rome is size.  Roman armies could approach 100k in a single battle.  European armies were typically in the lower tens of thousands.  Quantity has a quality all its own.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's amusing as I was armor and despised and mocked the infantry (combat arms play) and here I am defending an infantry army over a more mobile and powerful but smaller force. Defend it I will and not because of 'rumor' or 'myth.' Do you know why we know so much about the Romans? Because they wrote it all down. Do you know why we don't know details of the middle ages? They couldn't read. I put my money on the ancients who were not only more organized AND civilized...they were tougher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rome is my hobby

You do realize the "Middle Ages" covers 1000 years right?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rome is my hobby

Shhh - he thinks Romans don’t bleed like everyone else.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pre gunpowder
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]
For those who enjoy reading of the Roman civil wars of Marius and Sulla and Caesar's Gaul campaign, the scale of violence the Roman's were willing to inflict and receive is mind boggling. Armies of this size were not seen again until Napoleon and then only briefly. World War I type logistics and planning and relentlessness.

Quantity has a quality all its own. It would not have even been close.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh they died like dogs...and kept coming. Rarely broke in that era either.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For those who enjoy reading of the Roman civil wars of Marius and Sulla and Caesar's Gaul campaign, the scale of violence the Roman's were willing to inflict and receive is mind boggling. Armies of this size were not seen again until Napoleon and then only briefly. World War I type logistics and planning and relentlessness.

View Quote
This
Also I don't think you barbarians comprehend the maneuverability of small units of Roman infantry during the heat of battle. You don't see it again until the German storm troops of 1917. Absolute control of their units.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well nobody ever said the Swiss were stupid.

Except for obtaining better quality steel the Romans would be a very quick study and catch-up quickly. Things had not advanced really all that much as far as weaponry went between the two eras. I suspect the Romans would fight at a disadvantage till winter and when the next fighting season started they would quickly gain the upper hand with improved weapons and tactics.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#18]
With Julius Caesar with the 10th and other Gallic veterans? I think he’d shit in everyone’s Wheaties, including ghenghis khan, Alexander, and Hannibal.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Punic Armies of Carthage did rather well until Fabian refused them battle.

So did the Germanic tribes under Arminius (Herman the Germa)

The Goths at Adrianople crushed the Legions and the Visigoths sacked Rome.

Now, throw in those Asiatic horse archers (Scythian, Parthians) and the Romans were really disadvantaged.  Don't even think of what the Mongols would do.

Sic transit gloria mundi!
View Quote
Aurelian, Trajan, and Septimius Severus shit on the parthians and Scythian. Severus has an arch right in the forums to prove it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
One advantage I will give to Rome is size.  Roman armies could approach 100k in a single battle.  European armies were typically in the lower tens of thousands.  Quantity has a quality all its own.
View Quote
Pompey and Vercingeterix both outnumbered caesars army 3 to 1. Caesar was the world most brilliant tactician this world ever laid eyes on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Romans died....a lot. It was their recouping power that made them so formidable and had the sheer will power of John wick. Caesar and his legions were in a league of their own.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That is a myth perpetuated by the same people who think medieval swords were essentially 20 pound dull edged sword shaped clubs that caused blunt trauma injuries.

There were plenty of well organized and deadly medieval armies that would trounce Roman legions. Genoese crossbowmen, English longbowmen, Swiss pikemen, some of the crusading armies were absolutely huge and very well equipped, Medieval Europe had siege engines that made Roman technology look like tinker toys, let alone getting into the full steel plate armored cavalry of the 1400s.
View Quote
In addition, medieval generals often studied Roman tactics. They have the advantage of knowing how the Romans fought
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Pompey and Vercingeterix both outnumbered caesars army 3 to 1. Caesar was the world most brilliant tactician this world ever laid eyes on.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Caesar is definitely in the Top 10, perhaps even Top 5 though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Single battle?
The medieval forces.
Over a war?
Romans. Numbers, organization, and logistics.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you reccomend a few good books about that particular period?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61337/THESS_ALEXANDER_01_jpg-714804.JPG

Caesar is definitely in the Top 10, perhaps even Top 5 though.
View Quote
I think Caesar would have shit on Alexander. I think Hannibal would have as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Many of you are ignoring the impact of technology.

The longbow, crossbow, etc. on top of higher-grade metals used in armor and weapons would be a significant advantage for the Europeans.

The Romans were still in the bronze age.

The impact of the longbow alone against a Roman army would be devastating, assuming the European army was lead properly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#28]
The people voting Rome > Medieval Europe are probably the same ones who think Bruce Lee could beat Mike Tyson.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can you reccomend a few good books about that particular period?
View Quote
Adrian Goldsworthy the complete Roman army.

Goldsworthy is probably the best Roman Author out there. It also comes with pictures of the battle formations along with famous battles to help you visualize what went on.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The people voting Rome > Medieval Europe are probably the same ones who think Bruce Lee could beat Mike Tyson.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Gauls were fractured tribes. Medieval France was not.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the millennium and a half of nearly constant European warfare that followed bred weaker cowards? LOL

(Not to mention that educated Medieval leaders had the benefit of reading Roman treatises... but oh yeah, non Romans are not capable of learning anything haha)
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rome was also fighting a 2 front war at that time.  Caesars little skirmish with the gauls was nothing but a side show, and received very little support from the empire.  Vercingetorex was one of the first to truly unite many of the gaul tribes.  They were not fractured at that time
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Under vercingetorix the Gauls we’re united and outmanned Caesar 3 to 1 medieval France barely took over outreamer and that was due to the suljeks being divided.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Also don’t bring up Charlemagne. He was a holy Roman emperor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:47:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And the millennium and a half of nearly constant European warfare that followed bred weaker cowards? LOL

(Not to mention that educated Medieval leaders had the benefit of reading Roman treatises... but oh yeah, non Romans are not capable of learning anything haha)
View Quote
The Romans were gone by that time to be replaced, as always, with new blood.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think Caesar would have shit on Alexander. I think Hannibal would have as well.
View Quote
I like both of them, but Alexander's combination of tactical and strategic brilliance was unmatched IMHO.  No one (other than Phillip) had even dreamed that you could conquer all of Persia with 40k men.  That being said, Caesar's fortifications at Alesia were probably the most daring and brilliant tactical maneuver of all time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Under vercingetorix the Gauls we’re united and outmanned Caesar 3 to 1 medieval France barely took over outreamer and that was due to the suljeks being divided.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their descendants also had 1400 years of warfare, steel weapons, stirrups, crossbows, and heavy cavalry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Also don’t bring up Charlemagne. He was a holy Roman emperor.
View Quote
Charlemagne would have eaten a legion for breakfast.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like both of them, but Alexander's combination of tactical and strategic brilliance was unmatched IMHO.  No one (other than Phillip) had even dreamed that you could conquer all of Persia with 40k men.  That being said, Caesar's fortifications at Alesia were probably the most daring and brilliant tactical maneuver of all time.
View Quote
No doubt that Alexander wasn’t a brilliant tactician but he had a very drilled and seasoned army by his father Phillip II and he felt he was invincible which helped him bulldog his way to victories. Caesar would’ve used that against him.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
English longbowmen attrit the Romans before legionnaires even get close enough to think about fighting.
View Quote
This is the real key. The full plate armor, quality steel, and calvary of the Europeans make a big difference but nothing changes the game like the English longbowmen.

And I'm a Scot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Charlemagne would have eaten a legion for breakfast.
View Quote
You’re absolutely high on the devils lettuce.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
No doubt that Alexander wasn’t a brilliant tactician but he had a very drilled and seasoned army by his father Phillip II and he felt he was invincible which helped him bulldog his way to victories. Caesar would’ve used that against him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And he sure the hell wouldn’t have lined up in the open field against them. Get a little terrain to break up that close packed infantry and disrupt the cavalry. What do you know it works against medieval armies too!

This could be the most relaxing thread in GD since 16.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Henry V's army at Agincourt would slaughter the Romans.

Quoted:
Quoted:
English longbowmen attrit the Romans before legionnaires even get close enough to think about fighting.
View Quote
This is the real key. The full plate armor, quality steel, and calvary of the Europeans make a big difference but nothing changes the game like the English longbowmen.

And I'm a Scot.
View Quote
No question about it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No doubt that Alexander wasn't a brilliant tactician but he had a very drilled and seasoned army by his father Phillip II and he felt he was invincible which helped him bulldog his way to victories. Caesar would've used that against him.
View Quote
Both had a very seasoned army.  In fact I think it was this edge that gave Caesar victory over Pompey at Pharsalus.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And he sure the hell wouldn’t have lined up in the open field against them. Get a little terrain to break up that close packed infantry and disrupt the cavalry. What do you know it works against medieval armies too!

This could be the most relaxing thread in GD since 16.
View Quote
This X10. Pyrrhus only did well against the legions due to his war elephants. Imo Pyrrhus was a good as of a commander as Alexander imo.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And I'm a Scot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm a Scot.
The longbowmen have been mentioned aplenty. If they don't prevent the lines from clashing then they aren't a game changer. I say again. The bayonet charge didn't become obsolete until mid 19th century. Are you suggesting a unit of longbowman is more lethal than a battalion of Musket armed professional infantry? Because musket armed battalions cannot stop melee from occurring when faced with an oncoming unit determined to engage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Both had a very seasoned army.  In fact I think it was this edge that gave Caesar victory over Pompey at Pharsalus.
View Quote
What Caesar did by putting his skirmishes by using the polymer as spears in with his cavalry is what won him that battle. That was brilliant.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This X10. Pyrrhus only did well against the legions due to his war elephants. Imo Pyrrhus was a good as of a commander as Alexander imo.
View Quote
Alexander beat elephants on his first try.  The Romans lost several armies before Scipio figured it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Hydaspes
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No question about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And I'm a Scot.
No question about it.
If they stood still in a muddy field without their shields all day perhaps. They wouldn't. They would either withdraw or (much more likely) advance quickly across the mud, pass through the anti cavalry stakes and crush the English army in close combat.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top