Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/26/2023 6:00:24 PM EDT
This short scene encapsulates the entire philosophy of the novel, and is the high water mark of one of the best movies ever made.

Jurassic Park - Lunch - Great Scenes
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah ah ah you didn't say the magic word...
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ah ah ah you didn't say the magic word...
View Quote
I hate this hacker bullshit!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I never have understood the love for that movie. It's okay, but nothing special (other than the effects).
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I never have understood the love for that movie. It's okay, but nothing special (other than the effects).
View Quote

Good pacing, good acting, well cast, good story telling, good effects for the time, good memorable music, memorable scenes, well executed original idea for the time, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good pacing, good acting, well cast, good story telling, good effects for the time, good memorable music, memorable scenes, well executed original idea for the time, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn’t have better said it myself.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
life, uh, finds a way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
chokeyourself.gif
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
John Hammond was a much bigger asshole in the book, I was happy when he was killed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Plus it has Laura Dern when she was young and vaguely hot and not some desiccated purple-haired Karen.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plus it has Laura Dern when she was young and vaguely hot and not some desiccated purple-haired Karen.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a phenomenal score by the legendary John Williams

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

She was only 25 when she made that; I always figured she was well into her 30s.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah, now eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your, on your dinosaur tour, right? Hello?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#16]
You’re correct, OP.

But he spared no expense.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Always really like Jeff goldblum. But apparently he's a raging a****** and that's why he doesn't get work anymore
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
don't even care.

would still pick up 25 year old Laura Dern and put her on like an N95.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I never liked Malcom's arguments in that scene.

Relied too much on pseuo-scientific magic bullshit that treated nature like some kind of entity.

The paleontologists arguments about "we don't really know enough and you're moving way too fast with too little data to be safe" made alot more sense.

If you think about it, yeah.  Can you imagine that kind of giant leap in the real world?  Oooh, dino DNA... quick, lets make some T-Rex's!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Relied too much on pseuo-scientific magic bullshit that treated nature like some kind of entity.

The paleontologists arguments about "we don't really know enough and you're moving way too fast with too little data to be safe" made alot more sense.

If you think about it, yeah.  Can you imagine that kind of giant leap in the real world?  Oooh, dino DNA... quick, lets make some T-Rex's!
View Quote

Kind of the point of the movie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take the SFX from Jurassic Park over modern CGI fests any day
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Jurassic Park should be redone in mini-series form and go exactly by the book.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:40:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
chokeyourself.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
chokeyourself.gif

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
She aged early and not well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

In the book, Malcolm’s explanation of Newtonian physics vs chaos is one of the greatest short essays I’ve ever seen.

Keplerian mechanics are not trivial, but they’re well understood by our science and math.

Something as simple as a double pendulum becomes very difficult to understand as time progresses.

“The present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future.”
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never would have guessed she was only 25 in that movie. She looked 30-35 or so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Another movie "franchise" that should have ended it at one-and-done.

With only a few exceptions, sequels always suck.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In the book, Malcolm's explanation of Newtonian physics vs chaos is one of the greatest short essays I've ever seen.

Keplerian mechanics are not trivial, but they're well understood by our science and math.

Something as simple as a double pendulum becomes very difficult to understand as time progresses.

"The present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future."
View Quote
fuuuuuuuuuck

now i have to reread the book.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ah, now eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your, on your dinosaur tour, right? Hello?
View Quote
I really hate that man.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:47:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Perfect casting for a great movie. Love it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#34]
I read it for the first time last year. It was pretty good, I thought the movie did a good job for the most part.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
fuuuuuuuuuck

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the book, Malcolm's explanation of Newtonian physics vs chaos is one of the greatest short essays I've ever seen.

Keplerian mechanics are not trivial, but they're well understood by our science and math.

"The present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future."
fuuuuuuuuuck

It’s not a perfect book, it gets a little dumb near the end with the ship trying to dock on the mainland.

But the basic premise and Malcolm’s fever rants make it one of my favorites.

Plus dinosaurs are fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It’s not a perfect book, it gets a little dumb near the end with the ship trying to dock on the mainland.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuuuuuuuuuck

It's a little darker too.

The baby getting eaten at the beginning kind of set that tone.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

fuuuuuuuuuck

I love the chain events which nearly prevent the park from being exposed. The girl gets bitten on the beach, the American doctor shoots a monkey eating a Compy, the lizard expert is out of town, the lab assistant recognizes the Dino drawing, the law firm gets nervous, Grant and Sattler are invited down. If any one of those events doesn’t happen, or happens differently, the outcome is different.

That’s the core concept of chaos.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Always really like Jeff goldblum. But apparently he's a raging a****** and that's why he doesn't get work anymore
View Quote

Jeff Goldblum is only able to play Jeff Goldblum. He sucks
I'm sorry, "He, um, uh, sucks. Well, he, um, sucks. There it is."
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I find that I prefer thinking of the book and the movie as two completely separate things. One is rooted in plausible sci-fi science and the other is a Spielberg movie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There may be something to your theory
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
fuuuuuuuuuck

View Quote

Worthy of a re-read. My 11yo recently finished it.  Michael Crichton was a great author.

And re-remember, there were multiple T-Rex’s in the book, who ate Dodgson, not Gennarro (the lawyer) as in the movie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
John Hammond was a much bigger asshole in the book, I was happy when he was killed.
View Quote

Spoilers!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I actually wouldn’t mind a darker, scarier, and more violent remake that’s more like the books.

The Carnotaurus part in The Lost World was pretty creepy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I actually wouldn’t mind a darker, scarier, and more violent remake that’s more like the books.
View Quote

I don’t think the book was all that dark. Yes, a baby died in the book, but both children and the three main characters survive.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I actually wouldn't mind a darker, scarier, and more violent remake that's more like the books.

The Carnotaurus part in The Lost World was pretty creepy.
View Quote
Speilberg always aimed for a PG-13 rating with the JP movies.
It's a shame, because an R-rated JP would have been awesome.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Great movie and scene. One line stood out to me:
" It didn't require any discipline to attain it..."

To me this is insightful, because I work in an organization with a recent influx of new high level management that have made catastrophic business decisions. They don't have extensive experience in this particular sector, but have the general impression that whatever we have done in the past is wrong and needs to be changed. So they introduce new procedures on a whim, and then create even more issues.

It's why in the military, I would not want a Battalion commander that had not worked their way through the ranks. And even then, that is not a guarantee of a good leader.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a bug.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Ian Malcom's perception in that movie has become one of the defining philosophies in my life.

Just because you can, does that mean that you should?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
don't even care.

would still pick up 25 year old Laura Dern and put her on like an N95.
View Quote

manlaw.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top