Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:27:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you do placards on soft armor? Also, what are the better soft armor brands?
View Quote
Yes, check out velocity system LPAC/LPAAC
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I like the backpack idea because it would be something I would take with me and a plate carrier probably isn't.

If I thought I might face an active shooter in my neighborhood a plate carrier and armor might be a great investment and not just a want to have because it is cool (which is still totally justifiable IMO).

I think a panel in a backpack can be justified pretty easily and would way more likely to become useful even with the odds still stacked that you wouldn't need it. IDK Seems reasonable to me right now though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I like the backpack idea because it would be something I would take with me and a plate carrier probably isn't.

If I thought I might face an active shooter in my neighborhood a plate carrier and armor might be a great investment and not just a want to have because it is cool (which is still totally justifiable IMO).

I think a panel in a backpack can be justified pretty easily and would way more likely to become useful even with the odds still stacked that you wouldn't need it. IDK Seems reasonable to me right now though.
Soft armor in a pack is totally reasonable and feasible. Done right you'll forget it's even there and no one else will ever be able to tell.

Rifle rated armor is a different ordeal. The only rifle armor I'd ever recommend putting in a pack (and I generally don't recommend it at all for people not purposefully heading into harms way) is poly plates due to the weight. They won't stop M855 but your back will thank you for not putting something heavier in there.

Every time I read about somebody putting a steel plate in their pack my face goes
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Armor stops bullets.

I have steel, which I admittedly never wear, but I'm going to get a ceramic set.

I can't understand being a gun guy and not wanting armor. Shit if I had the money I'd buy a tank.
View Quote
I wonder if there would be a market for these babies

Bring your own anti-tank weapon system

Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty much all of them use Kevlar. Second Chance Zylon is crap and doesn't work.

I've shot and multiple people have shot old Kevlar and it still works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much all of them use Kevlar. Second Chance Zylon is crap and doesn't work.

Dude you're waaaaaaaaay behind the curve. Zylon is gone and has been for like 10+ years now. Its life was short anyway, only being used from 1998 to 2005 and the vests were recalled.

And there's loads of vests with polyethylene now, as well as Twaron (another aramid). Shit, there's been vests with poly since the late 90's.

The gamut of materials ranges from woven aramid of various makes to laminated aramid to polyethylene, plus advances in aramids have made for really cool shit like Kevlar XP. Lots of armor mixes these materials in varying ways to achieve different effects.

thefutureisnowoldman.gif
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRjsPa6AW1Y

This is the right one
View Quote
Yeah I thought about mentioning the Shot Stop back pack plate. A plate like that is what I'd use if I wanted rifle armor in a pack.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, if you don’t mind waiting to get a good deal on something you admittedly hope to never have to use, then wait 7-8 months for Trident Tactical to run their Black Friday promo again for their “active shooter kit” @ under $250 Shipped for:

T3 Trident TACTICAL: www.t3gear.com

T3 Active Shooter Kit:
(1) Plate Carrier
(2) M4 Mag Pouches
(1) Tourniquet Pouch
(2) Hesco 4400 Lvl IV plates 10x12
(1) Carry Bag

= $244 shipped!

Then upgrade to a quality PC like a Grey Ghost minimalist plate carrier when they go on sale @ 50% off = $66 shipped

https://greyghostgear.com/collections/plate-carriers

Then get it rigged up and work out in it, or as a fellow father of 4, you can take my lead and just put it under your bed and hope you never need to use it ... but know that it’s there if you ever need to
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I mean...you're not bullet-proof...right?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:02:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only reason why I mention Zylon is in case someone runs across an old vest.

I've shot a lot of old vests from various companies and 25+ years later they all have held up to their ratings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude you're waaaaaaaaay behind the curve. Zylon is gone and has been for like 10+ years now. Its life was short anyway, only being used from 1998 to 2005 and the vests were recalled.

And there's loads of vests with polyethylene now, as well as Twaron (another aramid). Shit, there's been vests with poly since the late 90's.

The gamut of materials ranges from woven aramid of various makes to laminated aramid to polyethylene, plus advances in aramids have made for really cool shit like Kevlar XP. Lots of armor mixes these materials in varying ways to achieve different effects.

thefutureisnowoldman.gif

I've shot a lot of old vests from various companies and 25+ years later they all have held up to their ratings.
Do y’all ever test them out on the rookies (Super Troopers style)?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

thefutureisnowoldman.gif

Naturally. None of the materials used (aside from Zylon of course) really degrade unless exposed directly to sunlight or certain chemicals for extended periods of time. Even when directly exposed to sunlight the outermost ply of material will take the brunt of the damage and leave the successive plies in at least 90% condition. From the third ply in it's most likely the material will retain 100% of its condition or only suffer statistically negligible degredation.

The only material that really suffers from noticeable wear issues that I've seen is laminated aramid. The film has a tendency to delaminate and you can get fiber migration in areas subject to flexion or rubbing. You can also get delamination within a ply, wherein one fiber layer separates from the other/s. It takes time and lots of wear but it happens. That was on older vests though, don't know how the newer aramid laminates hold up to extended wear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to were plates for work. When I came home from my last trip I took the whole thing and literally threw it in a dumpster.

99% of people have no idea what they’re doing in a gunfight and survive purely out of luck. People on the receiving end of an assault usually don’t have any luck. If a non-cop kicks in your door, you’re not going to have time to gear up.

If you’re looking to blow $400 on something silly, do it. FYI, Kevlar expires. Plates don’t but the antispall material does.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I really appreciate all the input. I’ve never tried on a kitted PC, I didn’t realize they were that easy to don.

My student loans will be paid off very soon and I’ll need to reward myself then. One months payment there would be a good armor setup from the looks of things. This gives me some time to consider everything before deciding on anything.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I invested in body armor roughly 10 years ago after I was shot in the head at the range (ricochet). I woke up on the ground bleeding.

Also am an EMT and some of us train with le in case of an active shooting incident.

And of course because it makes me look like a commando.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:36:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used to were plates for work. When I came home from my last trip I took the whole thing and literally threw it in a dumpster.

99% of people have no idea what they're doing in a gunfight and survive purely out of luck. People on the receiving end of an assault usually don't have any luck. If a non-cop kicks in your door, you're not going to have time to gear up.

If you're looking to blow $400 on something silly, do it. FYI, Kevlar expires. Plates don't but the antispall material does.
View Quote
Ah, more bad info.

Kevlar does not expire. I have no idea what you mean by "anti spall material" unless you're talking about the coatings on steel plates which I've never seen or heard of going bad. I'm not even sure how that would happen unless they used some real cheap shitty stuff or fucked up the material prep.

Depending on the situation putting on armor is an entirely feasible thing to do in a home invasion. My soft armor takes maybe 3 or 4 seconds to don.

99% of people do not survive gun fights due to "luck". That's just ridiculous and that statement puts your qualifications to say anything about such a subject in serious doubt.

No idea why you supposedly threw hundreds of dollars of gear in dumpster.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Larping. I look super cool when mom picks me up in full kit.

For real though, great for physical conditioning when run and gunning, and good to have for SHTF I guess. After I spend 2-3 hours on the range in a vest, when I take it off I feel much lighter.
View Quote
Fuckin. Me too
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine is a great place to keep my spare AR mags and a hand gun with mags.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 2:24:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

99% of people have no idea what they’re doing in a gunfight and survive purely out of luck. People on the receiving end of an assault usually don’t have any luck. If a non-cop kicks in your door, you’re not going to have time to gear up.

If you’re looking to blow $400 on something silly, do it. FYI, Kevlar expires. Plates don’t but the antispall material does.
View Quote
Would you explain that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a set of military soft armor I got from a buddy. It's heavy and thick but supposed to be pretty good. There is a way to add plates and stuff but i haven't gotten to it. I picked it up as a "better to have it and not need it" kind of thing, and it's sat for a while mostly unused. One thing we have done though is drape it over a baby in a car seat during a tornado threat. I know wind doesn't shoot, but it does provide impact and projectile protection more than anything else I own, so why not?

Need to lose some weight and work out in it more, that seems to be what the cool kids are doing. It's also super awkward, so if you're not familiar with it you will have a hard time doing basic stuff with it on.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Inside my smelly old armor is my safe space.

But unless you can get both spend the money on range time, particularly with your ccw.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Who needs an excuse when you have a reason?

You don't need either. Just get it because you want to.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I got four sets ( ceramic) a good while back for the wife and I as well as both of my sons. Not every day wear by any means BUT we have them for any bad times ahead. I wish they made earplugs that made liberals impossible to hear.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag for more.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I have several sets of armor, most of which have seen actual use. Much like my five spare AR15s, they are more for my friends than my personal use.

That said I still throw one in the car for a long road trip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bought mine for a combo SHTF event as well as for a bump in the night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I bought mine for a combo SHTF event as well as for a bump in the night.
I bought mine for a SHTF event.  Quite honestly, i'm really worried about the direction our country is going.  We're heading full speed for some sort of national calamity.

Quoted:
Another tid bit is I could see them wanting to ban armor down the road
I've read statements where they want to do just that.  Even started out with their favorite saying, "No one needs (fill in the blank)."
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Most likely use would probably be major grid down or riot scenario, which may be more likely than you think, OP.

Steel plates plus a basic carrier costs the same as a big night at Applebee’s
. For a little SHTF insurance, why not?

I bet you have plenty of stuff collecting dust that you’re less likely to use that won’t save your life.
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're mostly just wrong, but I also disagree with you.

Kevlar does not "expire," and neither do anti-spall coatings.

Also, there are plenty of instances where you'd have the chance to don your armor at home. Being dead-ass asleep and having someone kick your door in on the first try is probably not one of them, but there are absolutely scenarios where it is not only possible, but makes good sense. And that only covers home engagements.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#34]
$220 carrier and plates

Is the above a good set?  I have no idea.  But for $220, it might be worth taking a look.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Study up on the capability of the different types of armor and levels. A poly level III is susceptible to certain 5.56 while steel level III is susceptible to other 5.56.

Some companies omit info and include other info which just confuses people as to what it actually does.

P&S Primers - Your Armor Is Easily Defeated
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most likely use would probably be major grid down or riot scenario, which may be more likely than you think, OP.

Steel plates plus a basic carrier costs the same as a big night at Applebee’s
. For a little SHTF insurance, why not?

I bet you have plenty of stuff collecting dust that you’re less likely to use that won’t save your life.
Link?
Sometime last year, I just said "what the hell" and bought some. I caught a sale at AR500 and got III+ lightweight, multi-curve plates with built up coating, an advanced shooters cut front plate, and a decent carrier and cummerbund for $350 shipped. I think the whole set up weighs 12lbs. I didn't feel like shopping forever. They're a reputable company that regularly has decent deals.  It hit the price point for me where if I never do anything with it, I don't worry about it, but the set up is light enough enough and good enough that I can actually use it if I want to.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I've skimmed the first two pages of this thread and haven't got to the GD recommendations with link to purchase???? What the hell is wrong with this place. Am I supposed to research this all myself?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm pretty set on RMA's 1091-1094 series of level 3+ multi cut plates.

Thinking I'll do JPC 2.0, a placard for PMAGs and a placard for my CZ Scorpion mags. Side plates as well, haven't decided what direction to go there yet.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thinking I'll do JPC 2.0, a placard for PMAGs and a placard for my CZ Scorpion mags. Side plates as well, haven't decided what direction to go there yet.
View Quote
Looking at the stats on it, it seems they omitted m193. M193 is super common.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#40]
With crazy deals popping up on known manufacturers gear it was impossible to resist.

Kota outfitters:
LBT 6094 b $100
Midwest armor Proguard mc4+ LvL IV 10x12 multicurve (Ugly) $50 each

Attachment Attached File

Cheap insurance,
Just make sure you wear them enough to understand the limitations.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP, if you don’t mind waiting to get a good deal on something you admittedly hope to never have to use, then wait 7-8 months for Trident Tactical to run their Black Friday promo again for their “active shooter kit” @ under $250 Shipped for:

T3 Trident TACTICAL: www.t3gear.com

T3 Active Shooter Kit:
(1) Plate Carrier
(2) M4 Mag Pouches
(1) Tourniquet Pouch
(2) Hesco 4400 Lvl IV plates 10x12
(1) Carry Bag

= $244 shipped!

Then upgrade to a quality PC like a Grey Ghost minimalist plate carrier when they go on sale @ 50% off = $66 shipped

https://greyghostgear.com/collections/plate-carriers

Then get it rigged up and work out in it, or as a fellow father of 4, you can take my lead and just put it under your bed and hope you never need to use it ... but know that it’s there if you ever need to
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Grey Ghost Gear minimalist PC
ceramic level IV plate
2 AR mags
IFAK
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Tag. This thread is really good.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's simply no reason to bother including it in testing. If a plate has a ceramic strike face it'll stop M193. The only plates I know of that struggle with M193 are low end steel plates.

ETA: Also it's actually not entirely omitted from mention, it's listed under threats in the specification link. RMA is aiming for NIJ .07 cert with this plate and Rifle 1 (lowest rifle rating under .07) requires testing against M193. They test against M855 so they're aiming at Rifle 2 which is the testing that level will require in addition to the Rifle 1 threats.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
$220 carrier and plates

Is the above a good set?  I have no idea.  But for $220, it might be worth taking a look.
View Quote
Foreign made carrier, plates are their low end plates that will struggle to stop M193, they're single curved, and only have the base coat. Plus they're swimmers cut which I don't personally recommend due to loss of coverage, unless like I told the other guy you're willing to sacrifice coverage for moderate ergo improvement and weight reduction.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:04:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've skimmed the first two pages of this thread and haven't got to the GD recommendations with link to purchase???? What the hell is wrong with this place. Am I supposed to research this all myself?
View Quote
I can recommend you shit all day but you're going to get a billion different options, each vastly different. I need to know what you need/want and can afford before recommending anything.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm coming around too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all convinced me.

Help a body armor newb pick a good plate carrier to start.
I'm coming around too
I think it's worth it and I am tier 96 on the operator scale. I bought a Ferro Concepts Slickster in gray. I figured that was as non-tactical as I could be with a plate carrier and some of the "uglies" the Kota Outfitters had on deep discount. I know fervently hope it sits in the bottom of the closet never being needed.

Only issue is size, I might get some XL plates and a large Slickster. Though an extra 1/2" on either side still won't cover the nipples.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There's simply no reason to bother including it in testing. If a plate has a ceramic strike face it'll stop M193. The only plates I know of that struggle with M193 are low end steel plates.
View Quote
Yeah I just called RMA and was told the same.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
$220 carrier and plates

View Quote
No spall mitigation = not a good option.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No spall mitigation = not a good option.
View Quote
Fair enough.  Just food for thought.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top