Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Midwest kid from a blue collar family that grew up in the 70's and 80's.   We ate leftovers and "whatever you can find in the cupboard" FAR more often than dining out, especially a sit down place.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How often did people eat out in the 50's, 60's and 70's?  I wasn't around then.

Midwest kid from a blue collar family that grew up in the 70's and 80's.   We ate leftovers and "whatever you can find in the cupboard" FAR more often than dining out, especially a sit down place.

Yep. I think we went out once a month for pizza.  

When we traveled, we ate sandwiches like most people. That's why there are so many of those roadside picnic areas along the smaller State and US Highways.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, cost me 10 bucks for two double cheese burgers and fries (no soda) at the cLOwN shOw (McD's) the other day. Today I picked up and 3/4 lb sirloin for around 8 bucks and am grilling it tonight. Guess which meal I like more.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

We only ate out about three or four times a year.

I remember the first time we got carry-out it was a box of Church's fried chicken circa 1968.

People normally didn't eat out much at all.

People generally weighed less too.

A lot less.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Dad would eat breakfast at the local Mom and Pop greasy spoon before work.
When my Mom was busy my Dad would take me there for dinner.

As a family, we ate a fresh meal just made at home every night.
Lunch was BYOF or eat greasy spoon or Pizza.

Pizza places was always a thing.
No fast food in the county, now there is a Subway.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So they can track and monetize your information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One question though. Why do I need to order food through my phone to get a good deal? Why can't I just order food?

I think it is because a person doesn't need to be there to take the order. The system just prints out an order in the back. Cut the head count that way.

The real reason IMO for the high prices is labor with $20/hour mins and people thinking a family breadwinner can just flip burgers. That job will be gone soon with robots and shit.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think it is because a person doesn't need to be there to take the order. The system just prints out an order in the back. Cut the head count that way.

The real reason IMO for the high prices is labor with $20/hour mins and people thinking a family breadwinner can just flip burgers. That job will be gone soon with robots and shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
One question though. Why do I need to order food through my phone to get a good deal? Why can't I just order food?

No, it’s monetizing your information.

ETA: Have you seen how many people work in a fast food restaurant? Apps haven’t changed that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was born in 1955.  In the 60s we ate out maybe 4 times a year. Even going to the Davis Brotbers Caffateria or Golden Corral was a big deal. Fresh haircut, nice clothes and shined shoes.  We only ate fast food if we were traveling a long distance. As in GA to PA to visit relatives.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#9]
We probably go out 75% less than we did a few years ago
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Fast food is stupid now

Expensive and shitty, find a cheaper sit down restaurant and it’s not much more and way better food
View Quote

We can eat at Longhorn for about $10 more as a family of four than it costs to eat at CFA.

Kids meals are nearly identically priced and our two meals are maybe $5 more each.

Some diners are actually more expensive now than a typical chain steakhouse. It's crazy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Hang fire double tap.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#12]
See threads on 5 Guys getting roasted.  Local burger place is $100/4 burger, fries and drink, plus tip.  Service was poor and guy posted about it. Karen’s roasted him for bashing small/local businesses.  Then 10 other people chimed it about similar experiences at that location.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been traveling a bunch for work and eating out three meals a day... in California no less.

Luckily everything goes on the expense account, and they don't even want a receipt unless I spend more than $75 on a single purchase.

Prices here are crazy though.  Lunch is almost never less than $20, and $25 is more typical.  Supper runs $40 to $50.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn’t mind paying more if the food was good.

But the quality is GARBAGE now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was born in 1955.  In the 60s we ate out maybe 4 times a year. Even going to the Davis Brotbers Caffateria or Golden Corral was a big deal. Fresh haircut, nice clothes and shined shoes.  We only ate fast food if we were traveling a long distance.
View Quote

Wish we still had Davis brothers. Sad..??
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I once paid $10 for grilled cheese sandwich.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:02:03 PM EDT
[#17]
"Eating out" for us now consists primarily of a Dairy Queen combo and eating in the truck when in town doing errands once a month.

Probably do a sit down a couple three times a year.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Poor thread
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wish we still had Davis brothers. Sad..??
View Quote

We would drive from Camilla to Albany to eat at the Davis Brothers then have desert at The Artic Bear.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Mickey Dee Big Mac is like $7-$8 in Los Angeles, way too much money. Some of those fast food places are going croak. Here in Kali, the min wage for fasst food workers will be $20/hour! How many burgers do you have to sell just to pay the worker's salary?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#21]
McDonald's app here always has free Big Mac, QPWC or 10 piece nuggets with purchase of any 1 of these ($5).  

Burger King app often has offers for free fries (up to large), $3 whoppers, and 1.50 large onion rings.

Wendy's has $1 single burgers and $2 double.

Easy to eat cheap, especially if you stockpile 75-cent 16 oz sodas from Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#22]
 You'll do better if you hit up the small business / mom and pop restaurants.  The old lady and I eat out for dinner on the weekends.  It's usually take out since it's no fun bringing the baby.  The local asian places usually hook you up with good portions for a reasonable price.  There is local Korean place that appears pricey, but a 25 dollar set will get you enough for 2-3 meals worth.

If you're going to an upscale place, just expect to pay nothing less than 50 bucks a person.  Maybe that's worth it if the food is good, portions are fair, and service is good.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I refuse to participate any longer.

I already cut out eating out for dinner a year ago, but I was still stopping on the way to work for some type of breakfast and just to get out of the shop for an hour, go grab something for lunch.

Nope. Not anymore.  Leftovers/sack lunch and eat something before I leave the house from here on out.  

The hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint is now $20 for a burrito and drink.
View Quote

The mexican places around my area are still the most reasonable places to eat.
So food service rule of thumb WAS to take the cost of the food and multiply by 3 or 3.5 to get the cost on the menu.
Higher for in demand or foods requiring special prep.
I suspect with the cost of labor being tampered with and general increase in food costs have had a significant effect on prices with no appreciable benefit to the customer.
That will make it hard on the consumer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s all a wreck.  Just got back from the grocery store. A regular size jar of Raos spaghetti sauce, 10.99.  No I didn’t buy it, but damn it is the good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I stopped at Jewish deli when I was in California. One Ruben sandwich, to go, no tip, was $21. It was a pretty good sandwich but...

I rarely eat out. Mostly because the food sucks and I don't trust the chef to not scratch his ass while cooking my food. Even when I go to a fancy steakhouse, I am usually disappointed. They can usually cook a steak but the rest is meh.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, even the old cheap eats I used to like (Teriyaki joints and burritos) are crazy expensive than what I was accustomed to.

Teriyaki were about 5 bucks in the 90's, I got used to them being $10+

I get teriyaki for my teenage kids these days, it can in excess of $60 - easily.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:  Haha you think food is expensive, try mixed drinks.  My wife had a few the other night when we went to dinner.  I told her that she just had $150 bucks worth of cocktails, and that Id better get lucky…
View Quote
Pics of wife not loading
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

OP ain't lying

wife and i were on a road trip a couple months ago and stopped at a McDonalds for old-time sake

was like $26 for nothing special -- Quarter Pound combo meal and 3 hamburgers fries and a coke

i could grill a delicious sirloin steak with the trimmings for that price

View Quote
I just plugged all that into the McDonald's app: $14.22 inc tax
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve actually given up on the Saturday meet up at the small breakfast place before work.  ( actually it was in comedians , cars, coffee) last month was 30 something bucks for 2 omelets with hash browns 2 coffees. They’re nice girls working so left 40 but walked out going what the fuck just happened.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I refuse to participate any longer.

I already cut out eating out for dinner a year ago, but I was still stopping on the way to work for some type of breakfast and just to get out of the shop for an hour, go grab something for lunch.

Nope. Not anymore.  Leftovers/sack lunch and eat something before I leave the house from here on out.  

The hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint is now $20 for a burrito and drink.
View Quote

FJB
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

To give you an idea, in the 50s when I was young, the thrill of every few months was the one opportunity to stop at Gino's, which was a clone of McDonald's. We got one hamburger each.  That slice of cheese added almost a third to the cost, so it was out of consideration.  We got a little paper pocket of fries holding about a dozen.  And we were happy and made it to 2024.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I grew up during the 60s and 70's. We lived way out in the hills so typically we went to town once a month. Some winters it was every 6-8 weeks. Yes, we bought tons of groceries and other supplies on those trips.

It was a big deal to get to go because during the warm months we would eat at a locally owned drive in and during the cold months we ate at a local sit-down place called Merricks. That place was open for years and years and was damned good.

I miss those times.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#33]
$18 buys a double ultimate bacon cheese burger, fries, and a coke.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#34]
We are eating better at home.  We bought a steer at a youth fair a while back and while it was fairly expensive it is much cheaper than eating out. The other day I cooked fried chicken.  I have been working on my recipe for years but other than looking a little too brown it was damn tasty.

Here are some of the latest attempts
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course everybody/family is different. I'd compare it to Coke consumption:

It used to be a treat. Getting a 6 ounce wasp waisted bottle from the cooler at a gas station, leaving the empty in the wire rack while the attendant checked your oil and tire pressure.

Now some drink sodas as a primary source of hydration, from morning till they go to sleep. Serving sizes went from 6 oz. to 16 to 32 to 64. It's now common to see people at the grocery store with multiple packs of HFCS based drinks hanging on the sides of the cart.

I've had acquaintances where cooking at home was the occasional event. Eating restaurant/fast food three times a day was SOP.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Every time I go out to eat or shop at a grocery store I want to slap-the-crap out of a anti-Trumper
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a kid in the 70s dining out, even fast food, was a special treat. Dad was a doctor and we could afford to do whatever we wanted but we just didn't go to restaurants.

We should have. Mom was a TERRIBLE cook.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Now you understand your grandparents.

"I remember when you could buy lunch for quarter and still have enough left over to fill up your gas tank and drive around town!"

View Quote

In ~1972 Burger King was battling McDonald's and had a commercial where they boasted for less than $1 you could get a single burger, fries, and a coke.

In ~2012 McDonald's had the McDouble burger on the $1 menu along with a fries and coke so $3 so triple in 40 years. Amazing.

That burger is $1.80, the fries $2.40, and the coke $2 so more than double in 10 years. Amazing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#39]
You're not wrong OP.

I buy steaks from the grocery store in bulk for 7.99/lb and freeze them.

I frequently have a 12oz Ribeye, baked potatoe and green beans for lunch for less than $10.

It costs $13 for a double cheeseburger combo at the closest fast food burger place.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Cheese pizza $28
Meatball parm hero that has 4 meatballs $12.95

Insanity and we know prices are not going to come back down
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ETA: Have you seen how many people work in a fast food restaurant? Apps haven’t changed that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Look at the permissions the app wants.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#42]
$5 will buy you an entire broiled chicken at Sams. That's the same cost [roughly] as one nasty Whoppah or Big Mac and far better for you AND will make multiple meals.

Sure you have to go pick it up but you don't even have to cook the damn thing.

Health wise, it's not even close.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Depends on your choices and priorities.  Since the root of the discussion is food cost and not nutrition/health/etc., related:

For me: Let's assume I can make a meal for $5 and one hour of my time (shopping, prep, cooking, cleanup).  Or, I can work an hour longer and spend $20 and ~five mins (time to place the order and pick it up).  My billable rate for one hour FAR exceeds the $15 savings realized from eating at home.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Meeting ran over yesterday, ordered three 6" and 18" sub from Jimmy John's.

$83

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#45]
What’s even crazier is people having their shit fast food delivered via door dash and paying even more for already shitty food.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#46]
2 cheese steaks and an order of fries is now $38 at the local pizza shop. Nope
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Depends on your choices and priorities.  Since the root of the discussion is food cost and not nutrition/health/etc., related:

For me: Let's assume I can make a meal for $5 and one hour of my time (shopping, prep, cooking, cleanup).  Or, I can work an hour longer and spend $20 and ~five mins (time to place the order and pick it up).  My billable rate for one hour FAR exceeds the $15 savings realized from eating at home.
View Quote

That's why you cook enough for leftovers. Changes the math considerably.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:58:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Got a $100 gift certificate to the Capital Grille. That's gonna cost me a few hundred $$.
View Quote

If you a la carte you can get a 6 or 8oz filet, a big basket of parm truffle fries, and a stiff drink for 70ish.

It's my go-to there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wendy's $5 Biggy Bag enters the chat.
View Quote

Until surge pricing kicks in
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you a la carte you can get a 6 or 8oz filet, a big basket of parm truffle fries, and a stiff drink for 70ish.

It's my go-to there.
View Quote

No way, right? Somebody gave my wife and I a $100 gift card to a local place that I know is insane expensive. I looked at the menu online. That's enough for like 1 person. Gonna have to poney up another $100 unless I want an appetizer for dinner.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top