User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In before Ukraine shills bros rate thread troll.
View Quote

Done.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It isn't the government shutting down that concerns them.

It is the fear that the people will see just how much nicer it is when the government ISN'T there.

Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Shutdown lol over 70% of people are still working in a government shutdown.

I've went through three shutdown. First one active duty still working, second one civil service was told only key and essential people will, I was told I wasn't key or essential till the third day and I became key and essential. Same thing for the third shutdown.

Government shutdowns happen and people should not get paid if they didn't work. It's part of working for the government.
View Quote

Well, since a law passed in the Trump presidency government employees are guaranteed to be paid after a shutdown.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Listen, I'm all for limited government, hate the Alphabet boyz, and hate the overspending but the government shut down hurts a lot of us federal employees who actually work. Not all government employees are fat lazy slobs sitting in a cubicle. There are 130,000 thousand of us federal law enforcement officers who will not receive a paycheck and still have to go to work. As FLEO I'm a required to still show up for work but I won't receive a paycheck. I'm a single dad with two sons, who hasn't received a pay raise in 4 years, and I'm expected to still pay my mortgage, bills, student loans, and every day expenses (like gas to get to work) but not get a paycheck. It's scary.

I know a lot of you could care less about my situation and tell me to "Stop being poor". If it were that easy, I wouldn't be poor and living paycheck to paycheck.
View Quote

oh noez a fed gets a paid vaca. poor fed.

boo hoo
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

boo hoo
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Listen, I'm all for limited government, hate the Alphabet boyz, and hate the overspending but the government shut down hurts a lot of us federal employees who actually work. Not all government employees are fat lazy slobs sitting in a cubicle. There are 130,000 thousand of us federal law enforcement officers who will not receive a paycheck and still have to go to work. As FLEO I'm a required to still show up for work but I won't receive a paycheck. I'm a single dad with two sons, who hasn't received a pay raise in 4 years, and I'm expected to still pay my mortgage, bills, student loans, and every day expenses (like gas to get to work) but not get a paycheck. It's scary.

I know a lot of you could care less about my situation and tell me to "Stop being poor". If it were that easy, I wouldn't be poor and living paycheck to paycheck.

boo hoo

Your reading skills are as good as your writing ones.  He said he is an employee that will have to work and be paid later when Congress stops grandstanding, something that would be illegal for a private employer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
By shutdown, they mean pay overtime to man unmanned state parks to keep people out.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-359.gif

We are on the clown bus.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If the government shuts down, how will we protect the border?
View Quote

You think the government is protecting the border?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have the Republicans caved yet?
View Quote

couple yaps away I'd wager
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone noticed that the debt limit crisis' are getting closer, more frequent?
View Quote

heavy can not kicking so well
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Can will get kicked down the road again.

Always does.

Forget about a balanced budget amendment.

We need a law against CRs.

Pass an appropriations budget or shut it down.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The current rate is adding 4 trillion to the debt every year.

This govt is killing the country.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#13]
When the government shuts down, they only send non-essential workers home. They are on call to go back to work as soon as the shutdown is over. Usually, it's a call saying to come back to work the next day. What most people don't realize is that they get back pay for the days they did not work. Pretty much amounts to paid time off. My brother is a retired federal employee. He always kept an emergency fund to cover a shutdown.

You can bet the congressmen and senators never miss a check.

Fortyseven2n
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which agency?
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Shut it all the fuck down.

All of it
View Quote

Then burn it and salt the earth.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When the government shuts down, they only send non-essential workers home. They are on call to go back to work as soon as the shutdown is over. Usually, it's a call saying to come back to work the next day. What most people don't realize is that they get back pay for the days they did not work. Pretty much amounts to paid time off. My brother is a retired federal employee. He always kept an emergency fund to cover a shutdown.

You can bet the congressmen and senators never miss a check.

Fortyseven2n
View Quote

For every past shutdown it was an unknown whether furloughed employees would be back paid.  It was stressful since it had always happened but it wasn't assured.

They are more of a joke now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

All of it
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2023 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#18]
If Republicans had both brains and balls thay would refuse to increase the debt limit. Then tell Joe Biden if he does not pay interest on the debt he will be impeached for violating the 14th Amendment. And if he spends money not appropriated he will also be impeached.

Then pass  law repealing ALL cost of living increases in federal pay, pensions, and any contracts with vendors with inflation escalator clauses until there are at least 3 consecutive years of a balanced budget actually in the can.

Make Joetato have to allocate money as he sees fit to spend the tax revenues but not a penny more. Watch him and the democrats justify their spending however they may.

This would make Biden declare his budget priorities and having to stand by him. It would create a constituency for balanced budgets. They should go in 24/7 ad blitz explaining that if the budget were balanced, interest rates could be 2%, not 8, 10, or 12%.

It would be great.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If Republicans had both brains and balls thay would refuse to increase the debt limit. Then tell Joe Biden if he does not pay interest on the debt he will be impeached for violating the 14th Amendment. And if he spends money not appropriated he will also be impeached.

Then pass  law repealing ALL cost of living increases in federal pay, pensions, and any contracts with vendors with inflation escalator clauses until there are at least 3 consecutive years of a balanced budget actually in the can.

Make Joetato have to allocate money as he sees fit to spend the tax revenues but not a penny more. Watch him and the democrats justify their spending however they may.

This would make Biden declare his budget priorities and having to stand by him. It would create a constituency for balanced budgets. They should go in 24/7 ad blitz explaining that if the budget were balanced, interest rates could be 2%, not 8, 10, or 12%.

It would be great.
View Quote

The problem with that idea is of those republicans, you can count on one hand those with the credibility to be able to pull that off. The rest of them happily voted to get us where we’re at today.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 2:50:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All of it
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Well, since a law passed in the Trump presidency government employees are guaranteed to be paid after a shutdown.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've went through three shutdown. First one active duty still working, second one civil service was told only key and essential people will, I was told I wasn't key or essential till the third day and I became key and essential. Same thing for the third shutdown.

Government shutdowns happen and people should not get paid if they didn't work. It's part of working for the government.

A quote comes to mind & goes something like this: Something something when the people realize they can vote themselves money from the treasury something something...

...then you realize that was a warning aimed at the gov, not the peasantry
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A quote comes to mind & goes something like this: Something something when the people realize they can vote themselves money from the treasury something something...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or it was a warning (by whoever actually said it) about the massive social programs that account for the majority of spending.

Reduce the size of government, don’t be a shitty employer that punishes the workforce because the board of directors can’t run shit,
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Didn't we just do this? Like, just a few months ago?

Things must be accelerating.
View Quote

Soon it will be a weekly, Monday morning routine business. Raise it for the weekly projections.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It would be great.
View Quote

There are a few problems with that:
- It’s an empty threat.  The House would impeach and the Senate wouldn’t find him guilty.
- The money was appropriated, so that wouldn’t be worthy of an indictment.
- It is the House’s job to send a budget.  It is absurd to expect the president to fix a problem that Congress keeps sending up by expecting him to not spend the money that they authorized.

If Republicans wanted a balanced budget they should send one up and hold to their guns until it’s signed.  Anything else is just histrionics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How about stop all spending to outside nations?

We are broke.
View Quote

Cut entitlements by 50%. It is time to ween the domestic piglets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Question to ask is ," While we are distracted by this BS what does the government pull ? " Gotta keep them separated.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shut it down and fire all govt workers permanently
View Quote

I agree. Let's start by confiscating all paychecks. What is good for the goose is good for the gander, right?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#28]
The CR only covers the time between now and Oct 1. I'm all for the shutdown and let them cut their own budgets.  Just remember this grandstanding is over table scraps.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have known this for over 50 years. What are you really going to do, stop paying taxes? How about calling your representatives and senators and threatening to never speak to them again if they don't fix this now?    
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Our sympathies may increase or decrease depending upon which bowl of alphabet soup you work for...
View Quote

My soup doesn't arrest law abiding citizens. It keeps the criminals behind bars.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can will get kicked down the road again.

Always does.

Forget about a balanced budget amendment.

We need a law against CRs.

Pass an appropriations budget or shut it down.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The CR only covers the time between now and Oct 1. I'm all for the shutdown and let them cut their own budgets.  Just remember this grandstanding is over table scraps.
View Quote

No, there is currently funded appropriations *until* Oct. 1, then it all turns into a pumpkin. Last I read, the CR that's been put forward is only for 30 days "to give Congress time to resolve their issues". What BS. Who thinks October 1st comes at a different time every year? They've *had* time to resolve their issues. The GOP needs to grow a pair, send over a reduced budget that eliminates a bunch of Dimunist priorities, and go home for the rest of the year. Let the communists own the shutdown.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

- It’s an empty threat.  The House would impeach and the Senate wouldn’t find him guilty.
- It is the House’s job to send a budget.  It is absurd to expect the president to fix a problem that Congress keeps sending up by expecting him to not spend the money that they authorized.

If Republicans wanted a balanced budget they should send one up and hold to their guns until it’s signed.  Anything else is just histrionics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be great.

They are not doing a budget, they are doing multiple spending bills during the fiscal year.

There has not been a budget since Bush 2.0
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

All of it
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You have known this for over 50 years. What are you really going to do, stop paying taxes? How about calling your representatives and senators and threatening to never speak to them again if they don't fix this now?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your problem.

All I did was state a fact. I didn’t offer any solution as there is none to talk about.

Anybody that thinks their reps care what they think has not been paying attention.

What part of my post is other than simple statement of fact.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

The CR can not cross fiscal year lines.

There has not been a budget since Bush 2.0 was president.

There is a CR crisis because they spent all the money they had passed in the last spending bill that was supposed to go to the end of the fiscal year, you know, the 3 month spending bill that added $1 Trillion to the debt.

They don’t even talk deficit spending anymore since they no longer do a budget.

They added 1 trillion to the debt in 3 months and it wasn’t even enough to get to 1 Oct, the new fiscal year.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Shut it down, you can't borrow yourself out of debt.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you ever contributed to a thread in a meaningful way? Seriously want to know what you think.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 3:33:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There is a CR crisis because they spent all the money they had passed in the last spending bill that was supposed to go to the end of the fiscal year, you know, the 3 month spending bill that added $1 Trillion to the debt.

They added 1 trillion to the debt in 3 months and it wasn’t even enough to get to 1 Oct, the new fiscal year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You started correct then came off the rails the last few lines.  There is an appropriations "crisis" because of the end of the fiscal year.  It's unrelated to the debt ceiling "crisis" three months ago which made the debt ceiling be whatever is needed until 1 Jan 25.

Frankly it's absurd to have a debt ceiling that isn't tied to appropriations.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Listen, I'm all for limited government, hate the Alphabet boyz, and hate the overspending but the government shut down hurts a lot of us federal employees who actually work. Not all government employees are fat lazy slobs sitting in a cubicle. There are 130,000 thousand of us federal law enforcement officers who will not receive a paycheck and still have to go to work. As FLEO I'm a required to still show up for work but I won't receive a paycheck.
View Quote

I'm sorry to hear that. What unconstitutional laws and regulations is your agency tasked with enforcing?

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#41]
If they don’t fix things in a meaningful way, the rest of the world will fix it for them.

It’ll be the difference between falling down forwards, and falling down forwards while handcuffed.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top