User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Grey hair/white beard.  Check!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I like that house, and I like the color gray. I like that kitchen color a lot more than the pristine all-white kitchen trend, that is for sure.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a gun website, yeah? Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Nardo Gray is best gray.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Live and let live OP.
And no one cares about your opinion.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://d1gcvgm4klzto4.cloudfront.net/web/general-images/temp/user_9900/9.-Pair-Grey-Siding-with-Natural-Stone.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&fit=clip&q=100&w=749&s=ec038086d601a6e450ccdf0ae8d44027

https://designingidea.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/contemporary-kitchen-with-light-gray-cabinets-light-wood-floors-and-white-textured-backsplash.jpg

Nearly every new construction or "updated" house I see a real estate listing for looks like the shit above.

Anything real wood? Painted gray.

Artificial wood? "Distressed" (gray).

Brick? Painted gray.

Disgusting.

How about the automotive market?

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/attachments/lead-foot-2021-f150-lariat-sport-b-jpg.2486/

https://tractionlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2019-Toyota-RAV4-Limited-Review-1.jpg

Here are the "color" options for the 2022 F-150:

Black
Carbonized GRAY
Iconic Silver (GRAY)
Stone GRAY
Oxford White
Velocity Blue
Race Red
Rapid Red
Space White (has a hint of GRAY)
Antimatter Blue (looks like black unless in bright direct light)
Guard (a greenish GRAY color)

11 "color" options, and only three of them are actually distinguishable as a colors you can't see in a B&W movie.

In recent years, less than 20% of vehicles sold in the US are an actual color.

This might be the worst color trend ever. Yes, I'm well aware that harvest gold and avocado green happened. I wasn't alive when those were trendy, but plenty of that stuff was still around being laughed at and being replaced as I was growing up. But you know what? At least it was fun.

There's nothing fun about seeing entire neighborhoods that look like they sourced all their home and auto paint from a damn naval yard. Not only is it not fun, but it doesn't look good by any of the relevant adjectives. Beautiful? Pretty? Aesthetically pleasing? Hard no.

Don't fool yourselves. This gray crap is, at best, inoffensive. It's a "safe" choice, and nothing more.

Some sunny day (assuming civilization doesn't collapse), people are going to start throwing away and painting over all the gray shit with something else, ANYTHING else, and it's going to be great.
View Quote

Carbonized gray is dark gray and metallic, stone is light gray and non metallic, and iconic silver is, well, silver.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't like it? Don't buy it.
View Quote

Easier said than done.

Unless you custom order, it's really hard to get an actual color. If you're shopping for a vehicle in inventory or looking at used, you're pretty much screwed.

Of the last 5 vehicles I've purchased, 3 were black, 1 was silver, and 1 was blue. Color wasn't a primary consideration with any of them, and I had to choose from what was available.

Real estate is looking the same way. Just about everything out there is either a gray on gray shit show or a massive renovation project. If you want a turn key house, guess what you get?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I like gray
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any designer who wants you to have White cabinets should be fired.

Also bleached gray floors .... Ugh

I get why realtors want it... White is a blank canvas that the buyers can make what ever they want...

View Quote

Properly done white Kitchens are timeless.  The biggest problem with white kitchens is that most people don't nail the right shade of white.  People usually go with something close to a pure bright white when they should be going with an off white that leans slightly warm.

I guarantee you that I could show you examples in person that would change your mind but I understand that 99% of tract homes you walk into with white Kitchens look like ass.  Kraftmaid's standard white, just as one example, is way too cool to be used in any kind of traditional or transitional home with panel doors and I'm certain that it's their go to whenever someone calls up and wants a white kitchen.

I'm with you on the bleached gray floors.  I'm not in to that at all.  It's way too trendy and won't last long before it's considered dated.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Disagree, I like it.
View Quote

I like it too... that house and those vehicles look great to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey O.P. !!

Haven't you heard of ARFCOM's Favorite "Dude"?

GREYMAN ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I like grey, needs black and white accents though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I say this as a child of the 80s…

Wait a little while. It will leave on its own.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I like it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Gray is a trend and in 3-5 years there will be a scramble to change it to the next thing. 20 years from now, people will ask themselves what the hell they were thinking back in the 20's.
Nothing wrong with a gray car as long as it's just an appliance.

As for me, I live in my dream house, and it looks like a lodge. Now that shit is timeless. Not my house but:
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:46:12 PM EDT
[#18]
We'll transport OP back to the 70s so he can surround himself with avocado green and leisure suits
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Properly done white Kitchens are timeless.  The biggest problem with white kitchens is that most people don't nail the right shade of white.  People usually go with something close to a pure bright white when they should be going with an off white that leans slightly warm.

I guarantee you that I could show you examples in person that would change your mind but I understand that 99% of tract homes you walk into with white Kitchens look like ass.  Kraftmaid's standard white, just as one example, is way too cool to be used in any kind of traditional or transitional home with panel doors and I'm certain that it's their go to whenever someone calls up and wants a white kitchen.

I'm with you on the bleached gray floors.  I'm not in to that at all.  It's way too trendy and won't last long before it's considered dated.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get why realtors want it... White is a blank canvas that the buyers can make what ever they want...

White kitchens look good unless you actually use them. Then they either always look dirty or you are always cleaning. It's actually why my counters are white, because I want to see the dirt to clean it" but white cabinets and light floors are dumb.

Related to that stupid "let's just have shelves not cabinets" thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah lets go back to 15 years ago when every single new or reno'd house was shades of brown, that looked awesome.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's a great color

https://i.imgur.com/EuAEVVW.jpg
View Quote

Now THAT is a "GREAT ROOM"!

Except what's up with that teeny tiny screen on the back wall?  Looks like someone wall-mounted their iPad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I agree. Cars especially, and it's been going on for a while. I've always bought used cars so had to go with what I was able to find, but haven't had a car in actual color since 2007.  Going to get a new car once I can find a dealer with an allocation, and am specifically asking to order Blue.

Our new house we went with soft colors. Blues, light wood tones, daughters bedroom is lavender. We're happy with it, and also plan to be here a long time so don't care about style for resale. I think builder was happy to do something not all grey for once. We did paint the walls on the old house a light grey before selling, at the suggestion of our real estate agent (we needed to repaint anyway).
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Gray Jeep master race.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I NEED THAT FOR MY TEAMS MEETING BACKGROUND

GIVE IT TO ME
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a great color

https://i.imgur.com/EuAEVVW.jpg

I NEED THAT FOR MY TEAMS MEETING BACKGROUND

GIVE IT TO ME
While tempting, I am sure it would lead to a convo with HR.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:55:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Become the grey man, OP.

Become the gray man.

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#27]
You mean to tell me you don't follow gray man philosophy?

Dibs on guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I like it more than white everything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I've always loved grey, especially metallic grey on cars.

No.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Gray is my favorite color.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My house was mostly brown/beige/tan inside and out, and at the time I liked it because it it had the country cabin feel to it. Eventually though, we got tired of everything being kind of yellowish inside. Almost the entire house has been repainted since then.

https://i.postimg.cc/Wb2w0gL2/House-Progress-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/j2TQgJD4/House-Progress-3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/wvLQQkjB/House-Progress-4.jpg

After the outside was done, we used some of that paint in my bathroom. The previous owners had painted squares all over, and I hated that.

https://i.postimg.cc/N0y45thm/Bathroom-Painted-1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/httMRxpC/Bathroom-Painted-2.jpg
View Quote

I like that roof. I'd totally do that in my subdivision if I could get away with it. Bet it sounds nice in the rain.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Gray boat?

Bad ass

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gray is my favorite color.
View Quote

Did you feel symbolic yesterday and have you seen Mr Jones recently?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gray is a trend and in 3-5 years there will be a scramble to change it to the next thing. 20 years from now, people will ask themselves what the hell they were thinking back in the 20's.
Nothing wrong with a gray car as long as it's just an appliance.

As for me, I live in my dream house, and it looks like a lodge. Now that shit is timeless. Not my house but:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/341657/lodge-2247434.jpg
View Quote

I'm going to make the argument that there is no such thing as a bad theme / color palette if it is done well.  

The "lodge" theme in your picture looks awesome because it was expertly done with money as no object AND the decorator knew their shit too.  A "lodge" theme done on the cheap by a hack is going to look like shit.

The common denominator in any crummy interior is a DIY homeowner who doesn't consult with experts.  Just as an example, my neighbor's process for picking out an exterior paint color was to run over to Home Depot and pick a color off the wall.  He never brought it home to see how it looked in outdoor light, never painted a test patch, never threw up a few alternates to challenge his first pick, never got a second opinion...and I turned out about like you'd expect.  

I don't think people appreciate that there are hundreds of shades of white, hundreds of shades of gray, and hundreds of shades of anything else which is why it takes a trained expert to not only get the correct shade but also to make all the pieces come together in a way that makes sense.  You can't just paint your walls gray and not pay attention to the floors, the cabinets, the countertops, ect to make sure it all jives.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#36]
My last truck was a F-150 lithium grey, best color ever.
I dont mind the gray look on homes but the trend that I cannot understand is the people painting their brick homes white and having the gutters, doors, windows, trims painted black.
I’ve seen this renovation on homes in neighborhoods that were built 5-7 years ago. It looks like complete ass in between the other homes that are brick, in their yuppy zero lot line homes crammed together. Has to be women who go for this look and pay for that bullshit because who paints bricks and mortar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Could be worse . . . the big thing back in the 50's was pink . . .

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#38]
In this thread we learn OP doesn’t know home design

OP you use color accents to offset the gray. The color then is brighter and more impactful with all the gains everyone already outlined

Do you love fake indoor plants as well?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Those awful 70's colors...they sucked then but hey- to each their own.
Cars are all grey, black, white or silver now...its boring.
It's like we're losing any concept of fun, happiness or hope.
A grey, dead world of no feeling.
View Quote
I prefer gray to tan, (full disclosure,  i own a carbonized gray F150, only because it wasn't available in British racing green) but I think that on a philosophical level, popular colors are a reflection of the cultural zeitgeist. I think these colors are popular because everyone is depressed and gloomy about the future of society. We are all collectively waiting for the apocalypse,  and have a vision of the future that is overwhelmingly distopian. (Please understand that I speak in generalities. I'm sure that someone will chime in who claims that because they personally think the future is going to be great that this post is complete BS)
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#40]
It's all part of the plan to make life as dull and depressing as possible for us peons.

"You'll have your neutral colors and like them!"
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Disagree, I like it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#42]
How can I be the Gray Man without gray things?
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

White kitchens look good unless you actually use them. Then they either always look dirty or you are always cleaning. It's actually why my counters are white, because I want to see the dirt to clean it" but white cabinets and light floors are dumb.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a white kitchen with a wife and two little kids and it doesn't look dirty at all and we cook in it every night.

Maybe this plays to my point of getting the "right" white.  A bright white, which is usually a builder default, is going to show dirt differently than a more subtle white.

I'm against light floors, no argument there.  Our floors are hickory with provincial stain.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Gray with a few lighter and darker accents is the best.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#45]
I like it all except the cheap gray flooring people put in their homes, looks like shit.

It’s a neutral color so you can accent it with the color of your choice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I made the mistake of painting my bedroom and office gray. It felt cold and the gray always had that dirty wall look. It felt like I was surrounded by concrete walls.

Lasted one year and I now have repainted it to a tanish/ FDE color. Love it now. Much warmer especially when the sun hits it. At night the color looks like a light mud brown.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm sorry I'm so offensive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's all part of the plan to make life as dull and depressing as possible for us peons.

"You'll have your neutral colors and like them!"
View Quote

Eastern bloc buildings
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Give it 13 months then Housewives  and Realtors will call the look “dated”.
View Quote

That's the way everything goes. All those glass tile backsplashes that were all the rage a few years back? Yeah. Get the sledgehammer, they're so out.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top