Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Massively overpriced, unprofitable, and quickly abandoned? Yup.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does it still have the back door?

In case you was to take some commies site seeing?
View Quote
Love you bro..... no homo. 
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
oil dispersion/aerial spray;
View Quote

fucking chemtrails
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Now, that is cool for sure.  Wouldn't mind working on those some day.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

C-47
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Ill always regret not doing a jump from one. Love that plane.
Wonder how many of those commercial spare parts are gonna make it to the iranians.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think my brother who was a Medic in the 82nd, told me about jumping out of them when they came out...  Prior aircraft ---what was that...
View Quote

For Airborne operations...

C-46 and C-47 were WWII birds that were used after the war and into the Korea era, some C-47s participated in VN as well.

The C-119 and C-123 were developed near the end of/ after WWII, flew through Korea and into the VN era.

The C-130 was developed in the early 50's, delivered in '56.

The C-133 was developed in the 50's as well, but I don't recall ever hearing of them doing airdrops.

The C-7 was developed by DeHaviland and bought by the US Army and US Air Force in the 60's, and was used a lot in VN.

There were other smaller aircraft that were used on occasion for small numbers of jumpers (like the OV-10).

For a time in the VN era, we had C-47, C-119, C-123, C-130 and C-7 aircraft doing airland/ airdrop operations.  During VN, C-47s, C-119s and C-130s were used as gunship platforms.

(Disclaimer - dinosaur memory, so might be an error in there.)

edit for typos and to add:  there was also the C-54 from the 40's, I don't know if they did airdrop.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't wait to see what this one looks like coming off the line at operational status.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Anybody remember the Herky Bird comics?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I knew sequestration was bad, but I didn't know they couldn't even afford to paint the planes any more!
View Quote
Paint adds weight.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anybody remember the Herky Bird comics?
View Quote

Dave Davenport, IIRC.  Was in the local paper at PAFB (Pope AFB) when I was there.

edit for clarification.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
BOOOOO!  

I am ok with guys being J.  I even have some friends who are J.  

But I'll ne damned if I am going to bake some J guys a cake.  

H MODELS FOREVER.
View Quote

H3 or NOTHING!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought they were going with 8 bladed props on the T56's instead of 6, or maybe that was just for P-3's? Been out of the loop for a while.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

H3 or NOTHING!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BOOOOO!  

I am ok with guys being J.  I even have some friends who are J.  

But I'll ne damned if I am going to bake some J guys a cake.  

H MODELS FOREVER.

H3 or NOTHING!!

Bah!

E models were the peak of AF Hercs.

Good to see the new Herc getting into the civvie cargo biz.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bah!

View Quote

I'll take reliable underfloor heating and a dedicated cargo heater/AC any day of the week! Not to mention a sit down toilet, instead of the honey bucket!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll take reliable underfloor heating and a dedicated cargo heater/AC any day of the week! Not to mention a sit down toilet, instead of the honey bucket!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bah!

I liked the H3s as well, just pulling yer legs a bit.

But... we had many more issues with nasty foul smelling birds due to fleet service not properly servicing the chem toilets, than we ever did with honey buckets.

Imagine a dirty chem toilet, partially drained and not properly flushed or refilled by fleet, left to sit locked up in the sun for two days at Red Flag in the middle of summer.

One of the foulest smells I have smelled.  Did wonders for nausea and airsickness on that flight. 
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think my brother who was a Medic in the 82nd, told me about jumping out of them when they came out...  Prior aircraft ---what was that...
View Quote
 They originally came out in July 1955.  There have been numerous upgrades since then.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I liked the H3s as well, just pulling yer legs a bit.

But... we had many more issues with nasty foul smelling birds due to fleet service not properly servicing the chem toilets, than we ever did with honey buckets.

Imagine a dirty chem toilet, partially drained and not properly flushed or refilled by fleet, left to sit locked up in the sun for two days at Red Flag in the middle of summer.

One of the foulest smells I have smelled.  Did wonders for nausea and airsickness on that flight. 
View Quote

I do indeed know the struggle, for sure. Experienced it too many times in the ME.

Though, one of the funniest things I ever saw was in Kenya. Locals came out with their pump truck to empty the tank. Apparently, the guy didn't know about the great big hole in his hose, and when he fired up the pump, it sent quite the spray of blue shit water in the air, and all over him. Sort of felt bad, but at least the wind didn't carry it back onto the bird.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I do indeed know the struggle, for sure. Experienced it too many times in the ME.

Though, one of the funniest things I ever saw was in Kenya. Locals came out with their pump truck to empty the tank. Apparently, the guy didn't know about the great big hole in his hose, and when he fired up the pump, it sent quite the spray of blue shit water in the air, and all over him. Sort of felt bad, but at least the wind didn't carry it back onto the bird.
View Quote

That would be a shitty situation.

I would have thought after all these years, that servicing process would have been worked out so it wasn't an issue.  I was wrong.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I think it`s awesome that the C 130 is still in production  for over 50+ years and still going. Airbus and their A400 can go suck it!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#23]
That's the Detroit edition - with the plywood windows.

Or is it the Family Truckster edition with the woody sides.

j/k of course.

Nice to see us making stuff here in the USA!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I read all the talk regarding operating cost and wonder if they are talking about the 10 million civilian version or the military 40 to 60 million one.  Additionally the military is fully costed including ground support.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No guns out the side ?
View Quote

Mmm... MANPAD food.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I saw immediately it was a Super.  Needs more aux tanks, which I'm sure they'll be delivered with.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#28]
This thread warms my heart
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No paratroop doors, so nobody is jumping from them unless it's a ramp jump.  

ETA: might be wrong about that, the older LM-100s don't have them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in the 82nd we have been talking about these since 1997 I wonder what color static line that bird will be assigned

No paratroop doors, so nobody is jumping from them unless it's a ramp jump.  

ETA: might be wrong about that, the older LM-100s don't have them.

Why would 82nd be talking about these ?

I see paratroop door in the top picture.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#30]
that's awesome!
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#31]
April 29th, 1975, I was on the next to last C-130 out of Ton Son Nhut.  I owe my life to that beautiful plane.  To this day, whenever I hear the drone of one or step on board and smell that familiar aroma of metal and hydraulic fluid, my hair stand on ends and my skin get goosebumps.  I hope (pretty sure it will) Herc keeps flying after I am gone.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I saw immediately it was a Super.  Needs more aux tanks, which I'm sure they'll be delivered with.
View Quote

Has greater range than legacy models with external tanks, while being faster due to better engines and much less drag...... So screw externals
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Has greater range than legacy models with external tanks, while being faster due to better engines and much less drag...... So screw externals
View Quote

I was a T model guy. I got out just as J's were hitting the fleet. I remember hearing how great the new props were, etc.

Nobody ever wished they had less gas, unless they were crashing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#35]
This is great news. The L-100 was getting old. Be interesting to see who starts flying these
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
April 29th, 1975, I was on the next to last C-130 out of Ton Son Nhut.  I owe my life to that beautiful plane.  To this day, whenever I hear the drone of one or step on board and smell that familiar aroma of metal and hydraulic fluid, my hair stand on ends and my skin get goosebumps.  I hope (pretty sure it will) Herc keeps flying after I am gone.
View Quote
Thank you for your service!

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It will go to the flightline for final checks, then it will fly flight checks until it's given the thumbs up and then it goes to get painted.
That way the paint job won't get fucked up if there are issues.

The original C-130A's were not 100% covered by a paint system.

http://www.c-130.net/g3/var/resizes/c-130-photos/North-American-C-130-Photos/USAF%20C-130/Lockheed%20C-130A%2070464%20322AD%20PWK%2025-08-62.jpg?m=1426677325
View Quote

This is an original C-130A.

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Just talked to my Bother in law who works on the C130 line he said that number 2 is three or 4 stations from rolling out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I read all the talk regarding operating cost and wonder if they are talking about the 10 million civilian version or the military 40 to 60 million one.  Additionally the military is fully costed including ground support.
View Quote

$10M?  Lol!  The J models my unit is getting this year are closer to $100M.  This turd is more than $60M.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

$10M?  Lol!  The J models my unit is getting this year are closer to $100M.  This turd is more than $60M.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  You can't buy four motors for $2.5m each,
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why would 82nd be talking about these ?

I see paratroop door in the top picture.
View Quote

My BIL who works on the line said that the paratroop door is installed but locked down so it can't be open.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

C-47
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C-47

C-119, C-123.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I worked DC130's from 1972 - 1976 ------------ still one of the most useful aircraft EVER built...!

Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Lockheed says they tested them and they were useless.  AFSOC is giving it a go, they always have money to piss away...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lockheed says they tested them and they were useless.  AFSOC is giving it a go, they always have money to piss away...

Yes they did.  No they aren't, No they don't.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Those are not "new wings" they are winglets.  

Lockheed dropped the development of the winglets on the C-130 and the USAF carried on with it.

http://www.janes.com/article/59651/usaf-picks-up-c-130-winglet-trials-after-lockheed-martin-abandoned-them

The Navy's EC-130Q's had wing mounted antenna pods.
They acted as winglets, they increased the top speed and decreased fuel burn.

Lockheed wanted nothing to do with them as they were designed by Boeing with no input from Lockheed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For Airborne operations...

C-46 and C-47 were WWII birds that were used after the war and into the Korea era, some C-47s participated in VN as well.

The C-119 and C-123 were developed near the end of/ after WWII, flew through Korea and into the VN era.

The C-130 was developed in the early 50's, delivered in '56.

The C-133 was developed in the 50's as well, but I don't recall ever hearing of them doing airdrops.

The C-7 was developed by DeHaviland and bought by the US Army and US Air Force in the 60's, and was used a lot in VN.

There were other smaller aircraft that were used on occasion for small numbers of jumpers (like the OV-10).

For a time in the VN era, we had C-47, C-119, C-123, C-130 and C-7 aircraft doing airland/ airdrop operations.  During VN, C-47s, C-119s and C-130s were used as gunship platforms.

(Disclaimer - dinosaur memory, so might be an error in there.)

edit for typos and to add:  there was also the C-54 from the 40's, I don't know if they did airdrop.  
View Quote

The C-133 was the first "strategic airlifter" was used frequently to haul Atlas and Titan missiles from their repair depot to their assigned bases.  They flew heavy airlift missions until being replaced by the C-5.  I haven't seen any records of C-133s being used for airdrop missions.

Along with the C-133, the C/KC-97 and C-124 were other piston engined cargo aircraft from the post WWII period that saw service in Viet Nam but not for airdrop missions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Commercial hercs are back?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

I did this back in '04. It doesn't show up very well in this picture but the area where the C-130 was, was planted with three different varieties of corn so that it it was supposed to show up as a US flag. I purposely left any 'maze' cuts out of that part. I didn't want the maze to deter from the plane & the flag from the air.

This picture was taken out the back of one of Peoria's '130's  & it was just a little too early for the different hybrids to show up at their best. That was my fault. I'd been up on a little plane before this picture was taken & I told the guys at the base it looked like it was showing up good to me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Everyone smarted up, mostly, and stopped painting airplanes before test flying, although I'll lay money that this one will get a simple primer coat first to add some corrosion protection because this one will fly several hours for certification.

It makes zero sense to paint a customer's airplane before delivery, the production test flying gets them dirty, the paint chips in screw heads, removable panel edges get damaged, and so on, and the customer expects to receive and airplane that looks perfect.  Repainting is enormously expensive.

This is an airplane for the commercial market.  All those ancient DC-3's, R4D's, DC-6's, and the rest are finally getting too old to make money, or they are too scary to fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it still need to go to paint, or are they after that steampunk look ?

Everyone smarted up, mostly, and stopped painting airplanes before test flying, although I'll lay money that this one will get a simple primer coat first to add some corrosion protection because this one will fly several hours for certification.

It makes zero sense to paint a customer's airplane before delivery, the production test flying gets them dirty, the paint chips in screw heads, removable panel edges get damaged, and so on, and the customer expects to receive and airplane that looks perfect.  Repainting is enormously expensive.

Quoted:
I'm suspect the details are classified, but is there any speculation on what was upgraded, and the effect it has on capabilities?

I just re-watched the "Mighty Planes" on the Smithsonian channel on the "SkiBird" C-130s that operate out of upstate NY, and fly to the north and south poles to support the scientists etc. Freaking awesome airplane.

This is an airplane for the commercial market.  All those ancient DC-3's, R4D's, DC-6's, and the rest are finally getting too old to make money, or they are too scary to fly.

There's a cargo operation at Opa Locka that flies old Convairs daily to the Bahamas.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top