Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Ugh!

Another " America is dumb because it won't switch to the metric system" thread...

Even though the metric system was developed for science, which is where it is used in America and the English system was developed for every day life, which is where it is used in America.

Maybe the rest of the world is too stupid to time share their brains and use both.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Those signs need replacing at some stage and when the right people get the contract to do it it will happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since The United States is stubbornly retarded and has not switched to the metric system, why is it that we have had 2 liter bottles of soda for more than four decades?

We are on the metric system where it counts.  Another generation or so and there will not be much left which has not been switched over.  For now, our hybrid system seem to work fine.

Imagine the cost in changing just the speed limit signs across the Nation. That might pause the process by itself.

Those signs need replacing at some stage and when the right people get the contract to do it it will happen.

Its around $75 a standard speed limit sign, non interstate. Take that times a billion signs. It can't be done incrementally.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:28:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Because the liter was unique to cola back then.   That was the only thing sold in America in liters.   The liter wasn't metric system, because we didn't know what that was, it was cola system.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
2 liter Cokes shipped in an 8 pk. The 8 pack is a case of 2liters.
View Quote

Mexican metric Coke is in 500ml bottles.  A bit larger than 16oz bottles, 16.9oz to be exactish.

Metric wins if you like the glass bottle.

Metric is awesome, like Legos.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:35:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ugh!

Another " America is dumb because it won't switch to the metric system" thread...

Even though the metric system was developed for science, which is where it is used in America and the English system was developed for every day life, which is where it is used in America.

Maybe the rest of the world is too stupid to time share their brains and use both.
View Quote

The Metric system makes more sense for everyday use as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

No it doesn't, the imperial system is based on whole units for everyday living.  Who wants 500 grams of ham from the butcher, fuck that, I will take 1 pound.  I don't want 250ml of coffee but 1 fucking cup would be awesome.  I go to bar should I order 500ml of beer or would I prefer 1 pint?   The metric system is for extremes, and thusly good for science, not so much for everyday living.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No it doesn't, the imperial system is based on whole units for everyday living.  Who wants 500 grams of ham from the butcher, fuck that, I will take 1 pound.  I don't want 250ml of coffee but 1 fucking cup would be awesome.  I go to bar should I order 500ml of beer or would I prefer 1 pint?   The metric system is for extremes, and thusly good for science, not so much for everyday living.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

What if you want less than a pound? What are you going to say "ill have 6 ounce and a bit".

Grams is way easier its just a number.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What if you want less than a pound? What are you going to say "ill have 6 ounce and a bit".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

You would order a 1/2 pound or a 1/4 pound.  What kind of cum guzzling communist doesn't like fractions.  Fractions are the fun loving clowns of math. The metric system was created by European women so that they would have something to do while growing armpit hair.  It really doesn't make sense for daily living.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
When I drive through the US I usually switch the setting on my GPS to "miles".

I'd argue you need to be smarter to use the not metric system.
You at least need a better memory.

Metric is good for us dummies. It's simple.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You would order a 1/2 pound or a 1/4 pound.  What kind of cum guzzling communist doesn't like fractions.  Fractions are the fun loving clowns of math. The metric system was created by European women so that they would have something to do while growing armpit hair.  It really doesn't make sense for daily living.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Imperial measurements were created by Europeans as well and they didn't even wash their hairy vaginas back then and you still think its hot shit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Most of the people that put down the Imperial system do so because they are too stupid to understand fractions. (not saying you in particular)

Metric is good for scientist, engineers and eurotrash
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Bullshit.

People don't order 500g of meat, they order half a kilo or 5 hectos.

You obviously don't understand Metric.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Imperial measurements were created by Europeans as well and they didn't even wash their hairy vaginas back then and you still think its hot shit.
View Quote

Well now I am just horny.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Bullshit.

Oh I understand it.  You have to understand it to hate it.  I have lived in more metric countries than imperial.  It was awful, people speaking all kinds of stupid languages, full of dirty foreigners.  If you like living that way, go for it.  I will live in America, where we speak Spanish by God.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:09:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Bullshit.

He thinks a pint is 500ml
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Bullshit.

They are pretty damn close.  Closest thing I could get to an actual pint was 500 ml.  Looks like your drinking from a beaker stolen from chemistry class.   That was utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:11:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh I understand it.  You have to understand it to hate it.  I have lived in more metric countries than imperial.  It was awful, people speaking all kinds of stupid languages, full of dirty foreigners.  If you like living that way, go for it.  I will live in America, where we speak Spanish by God.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Bullshit.

I don't believe you because you think a pint is 500ml.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

A pint is 473 ml?  What am I missing?  Unless you are talking about some bullshit 20oz English pint.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:14:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The only system of measurement used on the moon by people is the imperial system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the imperial system is superior to the metric system for daily living.   It shouldn't matter to scientists and engineers so they should use it as well.

So you are smarter then the Engineers and scientists?

Quite the opposite,  that's why they need to adopt our standard of whole units rather than making us use big numbers that are hard and shit.

Your scientists put them on the moon and now they use metric. There is something to be said about that.

The only system of measurement used on the moon by people is the imperial system.

That's right. From what I understand a lot of the reason they've migrated toward metric is because a lot of the work they farm out is done by shops who primarily work in metric.

I've never seen the problem with English and I've always been able to work with metric too. Time is a base 60 AND base 12 system OR base 24 system. That's just for the days. Nobody complains about that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They are pretty damn close.  Closest thing I could get to an actual pint was 500 ml.  Looks like your drinking from a beaker stolen from chemistry class.   That was utter bullshit.
View Quote

They sell all sorts of stupid drink sizes in the US like "megaslurp" "thebigmegasupaslurper" "supaslurpaslurpa" and no-one gives a shit about "everyday living" sizes my man nor how much is in it
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A pint is 473 ml?  What am I missing?  Unless you are talking about some bullshit 20oz English pint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are the "pint" guys not me

See what im saying man

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They sell all sorts of stupid drink sizes in the US like "megaslurp" "thebigmegasupaslurper" "supaslurpaslurpa" and no-one gives a shit about "everyday living" sizes my man nor how much is in it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah but when I get an extreme mega gulp I want it to contain 1 fucking gallon of refreshing American made soda, not 3.78 liters of bullshit made up by some faggot in a beret while eating cheese that smells like buckets of asshole (which he assuredly enjoyed).
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ugh!

Bullshit.

They can't have half a kilo as there are no fractions in the metric system.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Growing up, I always found in odd that around the ford plant in Kentucky all the signs for speed were metric.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

See what im saying man

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See what im saying man

That's right, we are the pint people.  The British are just nanny state crybabies that want to use some weird ass oddball measurement that they couldn't even name, so like the rest of the world they tried to be like America.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

If the sign says 105KPH speed limit and your speedometer is calibrated in KPH, what is the issue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My biggest problem with metrics(other than converting it at 0630) would be speed. The numbers seem too big corresponding to speed.  

If the sign says 105KPH speed limit and your speedometer is calibrated in KPH, what is the issue?
It just seems wrong, like milk in bags.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah but when I get an extreme mega gulp I want it to contain 1 fucking gallon of refreshing American made soda, not 3.78 liters of bullshit made up by some faggot in a beret while eating cheese that smells like buckets of asshole (which he assuredly enjoyed).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much is in a "Megadupaslurpagulp"?

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God only knows, but I bet its a thing of beauty.  Bye the way, if you are in Austria (America of the South Pacific) shouldn't you be dodging animals that are trying to kills you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
"Liter" That's the Spanish spelling. Americans call it "American English".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its spelt 'litre'
That's the French spelling. Are you French?
"Liter" That's the Spanish spelling. Americans call it "American English".
We speak Texan round here.
Them bottles got 'that' much in'em and we don't need no label telling us if that there bottle has enough in it for everyone plus Joe Bob and his kids for the catfish fry on Friday nite or you needen to two or three more.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's right, we are the pint people.  The British are just nanny state crybabies that want to use some weird ass oddball measurement that they couldn't even name, so like the rest of the world they tried to be like America.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See what im saying man

The Brits were drinking pints before America was even discovered. We also drink pints as well as schooners and pots but our pints are the real pints ie- the bigger british ones.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My biggest problem with metrics(other than converting it at 0630) would be speed. The numbers seem too big corresponding to speed.  
If Aunt Sally in the backseat sees you going over a hunerd, she be raising cane about you being driving like a wide man and a needen to slow down since it is given her palpations of her heart again.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If Aunt Sally in the backseat sees you going over a hunerd, she be raising cane about you being driving like a wide man and a needen to slow down since it is given her palpations of her heart again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw aunt sally in the boot
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sally barely fits in the backseat, how is she going to fit in a shoe?

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Why the Brit's drink a CUP of tea then????
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems wrong because you have been raised on MPH. Imagine how stupid we look when we are measuring things in 8ths, 16ths, and 32nds while everyone else is using a measuring system designed to work with our number system.  If God wanted us to measure in multiples of eight he wouldn't have given us pinkies.

We moved to the decimal system because 123 is easier than CXXIII.  Moving to the metric system is the next logical step.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:58:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do you eat a BAG of chips, a BOX of cookies, a GLASS of water, or a PLATE of spaghetti?  Either those are standard units of measure or it has something to do with the fancy doohickey that eliminates the need to drink tea directly from the POT.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#38]
A pint of beer.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why do you eat a BAG of chips, a BOX of cookies, a GLASS of water, or a PLATE of spaghetti?  Either those are standard units of measure or it has something to do with the fancy doohickey that eliminates the need to drink tea directly from the POT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

236.5 ml in a cup. Why not use ml instead of pints.?
It can go both ways.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

Because a 10° shift in temperature from 24 to 34 going from comfortabel to DAMN hot makes sense.
When you have to use decimal point degrees in temperature to make sense to the every day natural world, it's not convenient...

You're measuring small every day objects like paper sizes in increments of 1/100th or 1/1000th of a meter when an integer number of inches will do.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:31:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

I'll take 8 ounces, or maybe 4 ounces, an integer number.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really stupid sizes honestly. Before food prices went up: the typical medium drink was 16oz. Large was generally 24oz. Megaslurp was 32oz. Thebigmegasupaslurper was generally 44oz.(Sometimes 48oz more common on the west coast in my experience.) Supaslurpaslurpa was 64oz.

Your choices were a pint, between a pint and quart, a quart, between 1 and 2 quarts or 2 quarts.  473ml, 946ml, 1.3L, 1.89L  I'd imagine it would all be rounded to 500, 1L, 2L and maybe 1.5L(Doubtful)

The biggest part of the argument on both sides is context. I like customary and I like metric but, if I can help it, I will use customary as much as possible. It is how I was raised to view the world, I have examples for the different measurements. It's a language and the same thing happens when someone is trying to speak a new language. Cant express a thought and slip back into native tongue. The only reason I know metric as well as I do is because of the military and reading science articles. In the context of military measurements, I still converted(roughly) 1km = 0.6mi, 10km = 6.2mi and 100km = 62mi
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A pint of beer.
View Quote

You mean 450ml  
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It seems wrong because you have been raised on MPH. Imagine how stupid we look when we are measuring things in 8ths, 16ths, and 32nds while everyone else is using a measuring system designed to work with our number system.  If God wanted us to measure in multiples of eight he wouldn't have given us pinkies.

We moved to the decimal system because 123 is easier than CXXIII.  Moving to the metric system is the next logical step.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine how stupid we look using Babylonian base 60 to measure degrees, minutes and seconds in trig or in the measurement of time. Pinkies are irrelevant to fractions anyway; a number system using fractions would develop anyway. 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8..... is a rather natural way to enumerate, it is easily described and visually represented. If it is an even number, fractions will develop from it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#45]

We're gonna need more Jack.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#46]
These threads have become so absurd over the years, I can no longer separate the real derp from the mocking mimicry.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
These threads have become so absurd over the years, I can no longer separate the real derp from the mocking mimicry.
View Quote

STFU and bring me a Royale with Cheese.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:16:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a 113 gram with cheese.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Highway speed is usually 100km/hr so its so easy to work out how much its gonna cost you to travel and how long its gonna take.

200km trip @ $1.50 per litre (12Litre to 100km car for example) =  24 X 1.5 = $36 and about 2 hours travel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck 3/32nds 5/8ths and 7/16ths wrenches; at the same time fuck that retarded liters per 100km fuel efficiently rating.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Apollo Guidance Computer operated in Metric, but the measurements were then converted when displayed to the crew.

And what's could possibly go wrong with that?  Crashing on Mars.

Highway speed is usually 100km/hr so its so easy to work out how much its gonna cost you to travel and how long its gonna take.

200km trip @ $1.50 per litre (12Litre to 100km car for example) =  24 X 1.5 = $36 and about 2 hours travel.

200 mile trip. 40 MPG car = 5 gallons at $3.50 = $17.50  = going alot farther for .5 as much money

and thats why Imperial is better. you go farther fast for less. its more efficient.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh!

I'll take a half pound of chicken tenders please. its easier than saying I'd like 252 grams of chicken tenders
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top