Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Read book 18. It hit the spot.
View Quote
I finished it 2 days ago and got a lot less sleep during that time.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I disagree. I think Marko Kloos Frontline series is one of the best SF series I have read.

Quoted:

Schlock....the worst space battles ever put in a scifi book. The lankeys are tomato cans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Just started these least week because of this thread.   On book 5.   Very good and enjoyable.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Some entertaining, modern, ongoing series or recently finished series are missing.

I’m sure many of you are also very familiar with the big names / older works.

If you are a fan of some of the golden age big names, and are a fan of that dated era,
I would look into enjoying some of the “forgotten” authors and series.

E.E. “Doc” Smith did a Lensman series.
In the 30s and 40s it was originally the novels Galactic Patrol, Gray Lensman, Second Stage Lensmen, and Children of the Lens PJs listed/serialized in pulps.  And that would be reading it in original order.
Prior to that he had written a story/novelette published in the pulps called Triplanetary.

It was my first introduction to an epic space opera/battle series that combined your typical brilliant/strong/brave archetype with a force / Jedi  type.  Because I read them as a kid before Star Wars.

So, Prior to those four being published, he had written Triplanetary.
After the Lensman serialization was popular,  he went back and redid Triplanetary as a prequel to the series.

That version of Triplanetary was published as a book.
Then he wrote First Lensman as a sequel to that and prequel to those original four that was PJs listed as a book.
Then each year or two
Galactic Patrol
Gray Lensman
Second Stage Lensmen
and Children of the Lens
Were published as books.
And that order is how I experienced them, basically liking one of his stories in an anthology, looking up his books in the library, and going by the dates in the books.

Now, in the Heinlein book that is a collection of his essays and speeches or letters and stuff, he does pay some tribute to Smith and notes there was supposed to be a 7th novel, but Smith died before finishing it.  While names like Weinbaum and Doc Smith are not on the tips of tongues - there was a time their names were like Asimov, Heinlein,  etc.  And Smith was “Heinlein” before Heinlein was.

Smith also had done some early “expanded universe” type stuff.  Writing some stories about a guy that was, well, like a Lensman but not.  In modern terms, he was sort of a force sensitive  stud that was neither Sith nor Jedi.  Time wise they take place between between Second Stage Lensmen and Children of the Lens.  They were published as a book that I did not know about in the 60s called Vortex Blaster.
I read them later in life when I re-read the series.

Smith and then Heinlein (who had been told the plot and ending) went to their graves without saying/revealing how the 7th book would conclude and finalize the series.  Some characters in a Heinlein novel in the 80s actually meet a Lensman.  And the publishing of the original much longer original manuscript of the book a few years ago has a little more detail.

There is some non original author expanded universe type shorts stories only published in pulps after his death, that I have never seen.

And a trilogy in the 80s that sort of ties into Vortex Blaster.

Link Posted: 6/29/2023 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I am through book 8. Love it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2023 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I could shoot my wife in the head and put her back in her 18 year old body.
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2023 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I disagree. I think Marko Kloos Frontline series is one of the best SF series I have read.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Schlock....the worst space battles ever put in a scifi book. The lankeys are tomato cans.

The problem with Frontline is the repetitive nature of all the Lanky battles.

Formulaic.

That, and the pages and pages of Grayson repeating over and over his opinions on the war.

I still enjoy it, I like very much some of the characters, but the series should have ended after the Battle of Earth and the cleaning out all the seed ships around Mars.
Link Posted: 9/30/2023 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Try and nominate a better one.

You can't.
View Quote

Honor Harrington series.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d offer up just about anything from Jason Anspach and Nick Cole.

Their Galaxy’s Edge series is bad ass

As well as their Forgotten Ruin series

Nick Cole also has Strange Company series on his own.

The audible books have the best narrators, RC Bray and Christopher Ryan Grant.

Highly recommend, and they are both shooters.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top