BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, if I want a MAS 49/56, my options are a gun I can't find ammo for or a gun that doesn't work?

View Quote

So what you're saying is that you have no plans to buy a gun in 22LR either?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
7.5 French is an enthusiast round. (read: hard to get, expensive and not even that easy to reload for.)
View Quote

Sold mine for this reason.  Mine looked like it had never been issued and came with a ton of accessories.  It was a neat rifle but the ammo was just not readily available.....meaning I couldn't get the ammo at a local store.  Of course the same can be said for 30-30 ammo these days :(
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
7.5 French is an enthusiast round. (read: hard to get, expensive and not even that easy to reload for.)
View Quote

If I used that excuse for every caliber I wouldn't have many cool guns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:14:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool as fuck rifle in a fucked up caliber rendering it fucking worthless.  To me anyways.  Fuck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I love mine and ammo has been easier to find the past two years with Privi making it and some surplus showing up. Wish I could find an original scope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool as fuck rifle in a fucked up caliber rendering it fucking worthless.  To me anyways.  Fuck.
View Quote

It isn't that hard to find, really.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love mine and ammo has been easier to find the past two years with Privi making it and some surplus showing up. Wish I could find an original scope.
View Quote

So Privi is making ammo?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one in 7.62. What a turd.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult to roll your own, either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, what are the specific qualifiers that lead you to rate all .308 conversions as POS?  

These are very robust & durable rifles - in .308 they are infinitely more desirable to own for the sake of ammo availability - I don't own one but have spoken to a few folks that did and they have all liked their .308 versions. So why exactly the 308 hate?
View Quote

I just sold my Century conversion at a hell of a loss this summer. I bought it at an estate sale in 2004 for $250. At the first range trip I fired one mag without issue after that casings would get stuck in the chamber and the heads were ripped off. I had the chamber polished for $100. Still had issues. I purchased an adjustable block for about $50.

Edit: I almost forgot I did the firing pin conversion. I forget the cost.

Adjustable gas block

the money pit...
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Great rifle BUT the vast majority of these that came into the country as arsenal refurbished had bad bores.

Dark bores and poor rifling were the most common condition. I never found one example of a good bore in the many rifles I had the op to examine.

On the other hand, the NON-refurbished rifles had nicer bores and some were bright and shiny with great rifling.

Reloading for these rifles was also fun. ALWAYS use military hard primers or else the rifle will go full auto slam fire on you.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#12]
IIRC, the early Century conversions were done fine but Century didnt give a fuck when their reamers started wearing and they put out rifles with fucked up chambers anyway.

Fuck those Century assholes for ruining these beautiful rifles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Frenchie thread!

44 and a 36

Still looking for a non-Syrian 1949

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I need to get one, I have all of this ammo and my MAS 36 won't shoot it all fast enough.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The 7.5 round is a bad ass round and can out perform .308 in many ways.

I am always on the lookout at gun shows for another one of these BUT every time  I find one, the bore condition makes me sick and I refuse to buy it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny story about my 49/56: bought it back in 2008, shot it a bunch and it ended up a safe queen. Eventually I sold it to free up some space and deeply regretted it after.  Fast forward two years, I walk into my dealer's shop and there on the rack was a familiar looking 49/56. I compare the serials from my C&R logbook and sure enough it's my rifle. A little more dinged up than when I owned it but in excellent condition nonetheless. I snatched it back up as fast as I could facilitate the transfer, took it to the range and sighted it in, took it hiking as bear and asshole repellant, etc.  Currently she sits in my safe.  She will remain in my possession until it's time to pass onto my children.

Great rifle, excellent caliber and a unique shooter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
(If you came in to shit in this thread with "Only dropped once" comments, let me save you the trouble. You can lick my sweaty balls.)
View Quote

Not familiar with this platform.  Where's the button that releases the little white flag?

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I forgot another downside:  If using anything but CCI 34 (the large rifle mil primer), you will have a lot of slam fires with that truck axle firing pin.  Not a problem with French ball, of course, but the reloader sure does.

I made a new firing pin with a lot of lightening cuts in it, about half the weight of the milspec firing pin to use standard Remington primers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yeah, I forgot another downside:  If using anything but CCI 34 (the large rifle mil primer), you will have a lot of slam fires with that truck axle firing pin.  Not a problem with French ball, of course, but the reloader sure does.

I made a new firing pin with a lot of lightening cuts in it, about half the weight of the milspec firing pin to use standard Remington primers.
View Quote

This guy used to do firing pin conversions. It added a spring like the AR firing pin. I had a double once using commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a MAS 49/56.  Got it when they first starting coming in,  Buddy Hinton is the one for MAS accessories at
sturmgewehr.com
Brass may be made from 6.5 Swedish, resized and trimmed, US made 6.5 is made from 30-06, slightly smaller in diameter, not too many reloads out of us brass.  Currently Grafs carries 7.5 French brass
work well.  Although the nomenclature is 7.5 it uses std .30 caliber bullets.
It is a direct impingement gas mechanism.  Similar to tha AG42B and the AR.  Mine has a not too friendly trigger pull. Sights are a tad coarse compared to a Garand, front sight adjustment is almost like an AR.
In order to avoid slamfires, the firing pins is ground to a flatter point with radii.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a MAS 49/56.  Got it when they first starting coming in,  Buddy Hinton is the one for MAS accessories at
sturmgewehr.com
Brass may be made from 6.5 Swedish, resized and trimmed, US made 6.5 is made from 30-06, slightly smaller in diameter, not too many reloads out of us brass.  Currently Grafs carries 7.5 French brass
work well.  Although the nomenclature is 7.5 it uses std .30 caliber bullets.
It is a direct impingement gas mechanism.  Similar to tha AG42B and the AR.  Mine has a not too friendly trigger pull. Sights are a tad coarse compared to a Garand, front sight adjustment is almost like an AR.
In order to avoid slamfires, the firing pins is ground to a flatter point with radii.
View Quote

Buddy took delivery of some MSE stocks and cheek pads a few years back.  I got my 49/56 way after his inventory sold.  I would love to put an MSE stock on mine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Interesting optic it has.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Interesting optic it has.
View Quote

Looks like a lot of cold war era russian optics took there cues from it, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Who would want one of those old pieces of shit...?!!

Link Posted: 1/20/2014 4:59:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The MAS ain't a bad piece, but I'm more interested in the FN-49.

http://www.fn-browning.com/FN49_sample_pic2.jpg
View Quote

I want both.  

ETA: I'm pretty sure I need a MAS 36 too....
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:11:49 AM EDT
[#27]
always wanted one but they've always been 400+. I have a mas36 just never came across any deals.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Just saw one of these at a local shop recently.

External condition looked like it was very good.  It's still chambered in 7.5 as far as I know.  Has a very small (about 1/2" long) import mark on the receiver from Century (C.A.I. actually).  It's a consignment and the asking price is $475.  Thinking of buying it.  I don't have anything in 7.5 yet and had been considering getting a MAS 36 eventually anyway.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks French
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
It's well-balanced, has good sights and a decent trigger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Wasn't there a review on American Riflemen or some other Outdoors/Sportmans Channels gun show that stated this was an excellent, under-rated firearm ?

If I had the money, I would like to have one (or more), especially the MSE version in the OP photos.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#33]
The French were working on the design contemporary with the Garand. They could have had it ready for WW2, but kept kicking the can looking for perfection, as I understand it. Probably just as well, the Germans would have ended up with a very nice semi rifle early in the war otherwise.

One of the great military rifles that didn't accomplish much because the nation develping them didn't adopt them in time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just saw one of these at a local shop recently.

External condition looked like it was very good.  It's still chambered in 7.5 as far as I know.  Has a very small (about 1/2" long) import mark on the receiver from Century (C.A.I. actually).  It's a consignment and the asking price is $475.  Thinking of buying it.  I don't have anything in 7.5 yet and had been considering getting a MAS 36 eventually anyway.
View Quote

If you get it and decide it's not for you, you'll get your money back if you sell it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I've never seen one in person, I might be tempted if I did.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Very nice rifles. Would love to own one in 7.5
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#37]
They are an outstanding rifle.  I had one and hated to let it go but it just sat in my gun rack.

In before the idiotic, ignorant, moronic know-nothings who hate on the French.

The French fought long and hard in WWI and WWII.  They were as brave as any.

The ones who are disrespectful toward the French probably would piss on themselves if they were to try paintball.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not familiar with this platform.  Where's the button that releases the little white flag?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(If you came in to shit in this thread with "Only dropped once" comments, let me save you the trouble. You can lick my sweaty balls.)

It's between your legs.  Shouldn't be anything in the way blocking your view.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/DSCF2213.jpg

View Quote

Is that a non-Syrian MAS49, ya bastard?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I bought one back in 1998/9 for $179 with all the accessories and also bought a shit ton of ammo.

Great rifle and shot it a bunch but I sadly sold it when ammo was getting scarce. It would knock the shit out of coyote's.
One of my few firearms I regret selling
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 9:26:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/DSCF2213.jpg

Neener neener neeeeener...

...!

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I've always said the MAS 36 and the 49 are pretty damn good combat rifles.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#44]
The 36/51 on top followed me home today.

This thread did not help in the decision-making process, but since it's an arsenal overhauled mixmaster, it will now be my Frenchie shooter instead of the all matching 36.

Oh, and that MAS44 is serial number 80.  Schwing.

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]
PITA to find mags for them and they are not cheap if you do find them. Still kicking myself for walking away from a bunch in excellent shape a guy at a gun show was selling for $5 apiece. About an hour later I realized what they went to and went back and someone had bought every single one. DOH!

And yes, I know they were designed to be reloaded by stripper clips and the mag stayed in the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

PITA to find mags for them and they are not cheap if you do find them. Still kicking myself for walking away from a bunch in excellent shape a guy at a gun show was selling for $5 apiece. About an hour later I realized what they went to and went back and someone had bought every single one. DOH!

And yes, I know they were designed to be reloaded by stripper clips and the mag stayed in the rifle.
View Quote

I see mags for $10-15.

Online, regularly around $30.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought 10 mags in 7.5 for $100 on gunbroker about 2 years ago.  Deals are out there and not that rare.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#48]
wanted one a few years ago but the .308 conversions sucked from what I could tell from the research I did and I dont want to stock another caliber
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Always liked them I have a mas 36 already just never saw any deals on one. If I could find a good one for reasonable price IDE jump it's not worth 500 to me though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top