BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I keep wondering if and when they'll get rid of the 8-Engine Setup. and switch to the Commercial Jet Engines and go to a 4-Engine Setup.
View Quote
They looked at it, and it's a VMC issue. It's possible, but it would require redesigning (and testing) the tail and rudder.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Amazing we’re still using them. The aliens sure showed us how to make some seriously cool airplanes
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 12:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My father, who passed a few years ago, served in a B-52D as a Nav/Bomb and did a tour in Vietnam.  The wife and I visited this memorial today on our way home through Orlando.  I wished he could have joined us but he has been with s in spirit.  I have a bunch of his flight books, checklists and manuals that are interesting snapshots of a time forgotten.  Anyhow, this is outside the airport and open to the public.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2022 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My father, who passed a few years ago, served in a B-52D as a Nav/Bomb and did a tour in Vietnam.  The wife and I visited this memorial today on our way home through Orlando.  I wished he could have joined us but he has been with s in spirit.  I have a bunch of his flight books, checklists and manuals that are interesting snapshots of a time forgotten.  Anyhow, this is outside the airport and open to the public.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331313/9953AD1E-10F7-40F0-B15F-50C926688358_jpe-2614023.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331313/1B559B94-9020-4505-ADB4-3B7E630432FB_jpe-2614024.JPG
View Quote
McCoy AFB?  My old stomping grounds when it was still active.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
A What If video on if the B-52 was a passenger jet:

What if the B-52 was a passenger plane?

Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My favorite variant of the B-52 was the G model, now retired. It was very similar to the H model in most ways, except the G used the older J57 turbojet engines and had the quad .50 tail gun instead of the 20mm cannon. Otherwise, they look pretty much identical. As much as I like the screeching banshee sound of the TF-33 turbofans, the J57 sounded even better! It was loud as hell and had a more throaty rumble. As a kid one of my summertime hobbies was sitting outside during the day with one of those old enormous VHS camcorders and videoing the military aircraft that flew a low level route through my area. I could always tell the G and H models apart just by the sound. You could hear the G model approaching from farther away. You almost sensed that rumble its J57s gave off as much as you heard them. And it took forever for the sound to fade out after they passed overhead. The B-52s were easy to get on video because with all the noise they made, you had plenty of time to get ready. The B-1B was much harder to film because they always came through at 400 feet and hauling ass with wings fully swept. If you looked in the direction you initially heard the sound you would miss them because they were covering ground so fast. I also saw quite a few FB-111s and some F-4/RF-4 Phantoms but was never fast enough to get them on video. These were really smoking! The 1980s were fucking cool.

Some G model action....listen to that wonderful J57 goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P76fEoUOjsU

I wouldn't have liked dealing with that water injection stuff though.
View Quote
Is the J57 similar in operation to the C-5 olde engines? this sounds similar?
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, that's quite an image. Reminds me of the Tu-114. I think that aircraft had an excellent safety record compared to other Soviet airliners.

Bit noisy though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#9]
New designation -- maybe.

The B-52H will be redesignated the B-52J or possibly B-52K when it gets a new radar and new engines

Ruscetta explained that since some of the new APG-79B4 radars will be installed on the bombers before the new Rolls-Royce F130 engines, the question is whether there will be two designations. Ruscetta added that for the version with the new radar the B-52 pilot operating manual and maintenance manuals will be re-written; and will be re-written again when the engines are changed.

“What the Air Force, along with Global Strike Command, needs to look at, is how do we define” the new variant, Ruscetta said. The decision will be made sometime within the next two years, before installations begin.

As the USAF migrates toward the two-bomber fleet of B-21s and B-52s the new active, electronically scanned array radar as a “game changer” for the B-52, Ruscetta pointed out. He said that the APG-79 is effectively the same radar as on the export version of the Navy F/A-18 fighter, with the array turned “upside down” so it looks more down at the ground than up at the sky.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Imagine if on 911, we were still using B-17's

That is where we are with the B-52.

Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Uncle Sam got his money's worth with B-52 and U-2!
View Quote

And the C-130 and the Chinook.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#12]
i hate the b-52.  i worked on its ECM systems.  fuck that bird.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 4:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Wish the Bone replaced the 52. Better payload and more stealthy than the BUFF.

I know they were rode hard and in smaller numbers than the 52.

It seems odd that a superior weapon platform is scrapped due to parts/logistics.

Since when has that ever stopped our budget and military?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It all went to hell for the B-52 when they replaced the J57s. We weren't even allowed to do four engine water runs on the KC-135A, maintenance was restricted to two engines...ops had to send out a pilot and copilot to bang water on all four because of the likelihood of jumping chocks. I stood ground, once, for one, at the end of a 150 foot ground cord we kept just for that check.

I can't even imagine being the dope-on-a-rope for an eight engine water run. Kind of curious if they ever even did them...
View Quote
Jumping chocks?  In the Navy we chain 'em down.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top