Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Why was Gig Ethernet copper better than Gig Ethernet?  

What was Gig Ethernet run on if not copper wire?

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Certain aspects of the internet doesn’t have the shit regulated out of it. Hence the exponential growth. Lawmakers in all actually have really no idea what their even looking at. Much less how to regulate it.

Now if cars, aviation and other things didn’t have regulators fucking constantly with them. We would have flying cars and moon bases.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I’ve been doing networking for 30 years. It still blows my mind. I build a 5-10 million dollar data center LAN. 5 years later it’s worthless and we fork lift upgrade the whole damn thing. Rinse repeat all over the data centers.

5 years. That’s about the best you can get out of network gear before a rip and replace the whole damn thing.

2000 - wow!  Gig Ethernet
2005 - wow!  Gig Ethernet copper
2007 - wow!  10 gig
2013 - wow!  High density line rate 10 gig, 40g is here
2017 - wow!  40g is cheap, 100gig is now the norm
2021 - wow!  A 100 gig wan link isn’t a big deal. I can do 32x100g ports at line rate.

The whole “cloud” thing was tried back in early 2000s as application service providers. With this kind of bandwidth it’s not a problem.
View Quote

Come work for the government!

I left the base infrastructure upgrade team, only switch we had approved was the 3850..... Which was EOL but it's ok cause it's not EOS yet....
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Talk to a VAR. or eBay. we throw that shit away. Literally. We Send it to electronic disposal.

Nexus 7k/9k/5k/2k. Goes into the trash and electronic disposal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@spidey07 (or anyone for that matter),

Where would you recommend looking for inexpensive used networking gear and compute/storage gear?

E.g. if one wanted to build a data center with last year's (so-to-speak) equipment?

Talk to a VAR. or eBay. we throw that shit away. Literally. We Send it to electronic disposal.

@spidey07

I've got some stuff of eBay before, but it seems there would be a more economical way farther upstream.

"we throw that shit away. Literally. We Send it to electronic disposal."

This seems like an unambiguous statement, but I'll ask anyways - is the equipment not being resold at all - it gets cut up / scrapped / land filled?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why was Gig Ethernet copper better than Gig Ethernet?  

What was Gig Ethernet run on if not copper wire?

View Quote

Fiber
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why not host your stuff at a vendor and let them deal with all that stuff
View Quote

Maybe I’m the guy that builds those data centers you pay us lots of money for.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I left the base infrastructure upgrade team, only switch we had approved was the 3850..... Which was EOL but it's ok cause it's not EOS yet....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve been doing networking for 30 years. It still blows my mind. I build a 5-10 million dollar data center LAN. 5 years later it’s worthless and we fork lift upgrade the whole damn thing. Rinse repeat all over the data centers.

5 years. That’s about the best you can get out of network gear before a rip and replace the whole damn thing.

2000 - wow!  Gig Ethernet
2005 - wow!  Gig Ethernet copper
2007 - wow!  10 gig
2013 - wow!  High density line rate 10 gig, 40g is here
2017 - wow!  40g is cheap, 100gig is now the norm
2021 - wow!  A 100 gig wan link isn’t a big deal. I can do 32x100g ports at line rate.

The whole “cloud” thing was tried back in early 2000s as application service providers. With this kind of bandwidth it’s not a problem.

The worst platform Cisco ever released.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@spidey07

I've got some stuff of eBay before, but it seems there would be a more economical way farther upstream.

This seems like an unambiguous statement, but I'll ask anyways - is the equipment not being resold at all - it gets cut up / scrapped / land filled?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where would you recommend looking for inexpensive used networking gear and compute/storage gear?

E.g. if one wanted to build a data center with last year's (so-to-speak) equipment?

@spidey07

We pay people to dispose of it, it’s worthless.  What they do with it isn’t our problem.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@spidey07

View Quote

We send all of our old equipment to a recycler. They come pick it up every so often. Depending on pricing sometimes we pay for it and other times they pay us a negligible amount. They still profit either way.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We send all of our old equipment to a recycler. They come pick it up every so often. Depending on pricing sometimes we pay for it and other times they pay us a negligible amount. They still profit either way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@spidey07

And every piece has a serial number electronically embedded. So don’t think you can open your eBay shop
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Fiber
View Quote

Copper is/was better/faster than fiber?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fiber

In 1999 gig Ethernet was a very big deal. It put ATM/something/Fddi to waste. Let alone switches that could route it. Fiber was the only way. 1000base-t had not been ratified yet and was a long ways off. During this time fiber to the desktop was a thing.

When gig Ethernet came out then it started the end of other frame/cell/packet switched networks. Ethernet won.

And today we have mgig to access points because the wireless is faster the the 1 gig copper port can do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember bonding two ISDN lines with a cisco router to get 256k and thinking it was the coolest thing anyone had tried.
Then it happened...I had access to a full T1 line. It was like being the internet...and now....today...just plain stupid capacity.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#14]
When I went to college in 2004, my brand new laptop had a gigabit ethernet port.

Right now in 2001 my work desktop (an Optiplex 7060, just a few years old with a 6-core i7 and 32GB of RAM) has....a gigabit ethernet port.

Yeah, that's some real progress.

Granted, my work laptop (16" 2019 MBP) has four Thunderbolt 3 ports at 40Gb/s.

-----------------------------

The school district where I work, with ~80k users, has a single 10Gb/s internet pipe. All our 100+ schools come back to one location (each at 1Gb/s) and connect to the internet from there.

It has been pegged at 100% for the past ~2-weeks when school is in session due to a big ChromeOS update on our 50k Chromebooks. Thankfully we just set that to stagger updates, which helped a bit.

In a few days we're doubling our internet connection to 20Gb/s, and eventually to 40Gb/s, with all our schools and internal datacenter infrastructure at 10Gb/s.

I'm sure out in the real world where cutting-edge stuff is commonplace, networking equipment advances quickly.  But that isn't the case everywhere.  Hell we still have some Dell desktops from 2008-2009 chugging along.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I remember bonding two ISDN lines with a cisco router to get 256k and thinking it was the coolest thing anyone had tried.
Then it happened...I had access to a full T1 line. It was like being the internet...and now....today...just plain stupid capacity.
View Quote

I member thinking this YouTube thing was stupid because you can’t run video over the internet with much success.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When I went to college in 2004, my brand new laptop had a gigabit ethernet port

Right now in 2001 my work desktop (an Optiplex 7060, just a few years old with a 6-core i7 and 32GB of RAM) has....a gigabit ethernet port.

Yeah, that's some real progress.

Granted, my work laptop (16" 2019 MBP) has four Thunderbolt 3 ports at 40Gb/s.

-----------------------------

The school district where I work, with ~80k users, has a single 10Gb/s internet pipe. All our 100+ schools come back to one location (each at 1Gb/s) and connect to the internet from there.

It has been pegged at 100% for the past ~2-weeks when school is in session due to a big ChromeOS update on our 50k Chromebooks. Thankfully we just set that to stagger updates, which helped a bit.

In a few days we're doubling our internet connection to 20Gb/s, and eventually to 40Gb/s, with all our schools and internal datacenter infrastructure at 10Gb/s.

I'm sure out in the real world where cutting-edge stuff is commonplace, networking equipment advances quickly.  But that isn't the case everywhere.  Hell we still have some Dell desktops from 2008-2009 chugging along.
View Quote

Gov networks, especially state run, are the worst. Because not only do they pay bottom barrel for network architects, they think they know how to build networks.

The worst networks I’ve ever seen are public sector. So much so I refuse to deal with them.

What’s crazy is the state ran all the fiber (they can do it, they’re gov) and won’t pay for competent people or gear to use it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Why no 100G over SMF? It’s easier then upgrading all infra to say MPO and can reuse existing trunks
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:55:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why no 100G over SMF? It’s easier then upgrading all infra to say MPO and can reuse existing trunks
View Quote

I’m doing 100gig over OM4 multimode. 2 strands. The optics are cheap.

If I have to leave the data center then it’s 100gig over single mode. Still 2 strands.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#19]
It sucks because a lot of enterprises don't upgrade the entire datacenter in one shot. So even a reasonably well designed, well maintained, and well funded network will have a bottleneck somewhere and won't be able to sustain its top speed "from door to core". Especially once you start adding the security stack inline with failovers.

Something, somewhere, will be cheap or old.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It sucks because a lot of enterprises don't upgrade the entire datacenter in one shot. So even a reasonably well designed, well maintained, and well funded network will have a bottleneck somewhere and won't be able to sustain its top speed "from door to core". Especially once you start adding the security stack inline with failovers.

Something, somewhere, will be cheap or old.
View Quote

I do entire forklift upgrades. Rip everything out and replace.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Gov networks, especially state run, are the worst. Because not only do they pay bottom barrel for network architects, they think they know how to build networks.

The worst networks I’ve ever seen are public sector. So much so I refuse to deal with them.

What’s crazy is the state ran all the fiber (they can do it, they’re gov) and won’t pay for competent people or gear to use it.
View Quote

That's why I'm leaving public K12!  My last day is next Friday.  FINALLY got a higher-paying job with a very nice raise.  I'll actually make market rate instead of 40% of market rate.

I like where I work and the people I work with, but they don't pay worth a flip.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In 1999 gig Ethernet was a very big deal. It put ATM/something/Fddi to waste. Let alone switches that could route it. Fiber was the only way. 1000base-t had not been ratified yet and was a long ways off. During this time fiber to the desktop was a thing.

When gig Ethernet came out then it started the end of other frame/cell/packet switched networks. Ethernet won.

And today we have mgig to access points because the wireless is faster the the 1 gig copper port can do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fiber

I understood all of your answers to my questions up to this post.

I always thought fiber optics was the whiz bang kid that ate copper wire’s lunch.  So, uh, I’ll just have to take your word for it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. It isn't so different in telco.

I just watched a semi haul off 15 pallets of old Cisco CRS, 7600, and 9ks. All gets sent off to recycle for pennies a pound.

Every now and then we'll take something we particularly hated out back and and shoot it up first. I'm sure the recycle place has questions when those come in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:03:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I always thought fiber optics was the whiz bang kid that ate copper wire’s lunch.  So, uh, I’ll just have to take your word for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fiber

I’ll blow your mind even more.

Single mode fiber has near infinite bandwidth, from a physical medium perspective.

The only limitation is the optics to send the light.  Who says you don’t use physics in your job?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ecmp. Don't need ityet.

100gig is the new 40.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y U NO 400Gig?

Ecmp. Don't need ityet.

100gig is the new 40.

Interesting. We're already doing N x 400G deals for the big datacenter guys, but they were already buying 100G's 30-60 at a time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Highlight of my early internet dial up days…

Retro Game Trailers: ALIEN Versus PREDATOR (1999) PC Trailer
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:06:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'll blow your mind even more.

Single mode fiber has near infinite bandwidth, from a physical medium perspective.

The only limitation is the optics to send the light.  Who says you don't use physics in your job?
View Quote
Claude Shannon would have something to say about that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Interesting. We're already doing N x 400G deals for the big datacenter guys, but they were already buying 100G's 30-60 at a time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y U NO 400Gig?

Ecmp. Don't need ityet.

100gig is the new 40.

That’s why I said I don’t need it…yet. Give it a year or two and I’ll need it.

How are you delivering 400g?  Hotel?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ugh.  We are so behind up here.  Our core is still just 10g in a ladder from the bottom of alaska to the top. I just flew out to a village to provide a clinic 10 whole megs with 500mil rtt.  We need some of that infrastructure trillions bruh.
View Quote

Even down here in the lower 48, rural America is getting left behind in the communication age.

We can't get fiber, cable, or DSL. Starlink isn't available yet. Our options are traditional satellite, or dial-up service. Even 4G cell coverage is spotty at best. It's almost fucking 2022, and we can't get an unmetered broadband internet connection to our house to save our lives.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Even down here in the lower 48, rural America is getting left behind in the communication age.

We can't get fiber, cable, or DSL. Starlink isn't available yet. Our options are traditional satellite, or dial-up service. Even 4G cell coverage is spotty at best. It's almost fucking 2022, and we can't get an unmetered broadband internet connection to our house to save our lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ugh.  We are so behind up here.  Our core is still just 10g in a ladder from the bottom of alaska to the top. I just flew out to a village to provide a clinic 10 whole megs with 500mil rtt.  We need some of that infrastructure trillions bruh.

Well, you can. You could get a 100gig connection if you wanted.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not my problem. That’s for server pukes. They picked that shitty platform. Let them lay in the bed they made.
View Quote

Well I'm sorry you are stuck with server pukes who have to hire out to do their jobs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That aid-to-construction fee is going to be killer though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shorter range, but much lower latency in many cases.  Copper SFP+ to copper SFP+ just carries the native signal all the way through, instead of converting to optical then back to electrical.  It's not much, but it can become significant when you're using it as an effective backplane, for things like storage.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:20:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tried. I actually called our telco and tried to talk to one of their engineers to find out what it would take to get fiber run to our house. (I was only half being facetious) But I asked them if I had a $million, could it be done? They wouldn't even talk me.

Our power coop has fiber internet service that they offer, but we're on the exact opposite corner of the county that they service. Probably 35 or 40 miles away.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

We walked away from a contract on BEAUTIFUL 6k square foot home on 25 acres just southwest of Bowling Green because the nearest ISP cable was a mile away and when I said I'd contribute $10-$20k towards cost if they could get it to the house they said I was about $100k short.

Ended up in Tennessee and have Gig Fiber to the house.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey!  I’m just telling him he can get a 100gig connection if he wanted it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#37]
What’s everyone’s favorite anagram?

“Please Do Not Touch Steve’s Pet Alligator.”

“Please Do Not Throw Salami Pizza Away”
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#38]
sounds like one of them good problems
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

please do not take sanjit's posting away

we h1b now
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

All people sell top notch data processing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:24:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I tried. I actually called our telco and tried to talk to one of their engineers to find out what it would take to get fiber run to our house. (I was only half being facetious) But I asked them if I had a $million, could it be done? They wouldn't even talk me.

Our power coop has fiber internet service that they offer, but we're on the exact opposite corner of the county that they service. Probably 35 or 40 miles away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You probably were talking to the residential side of the house. I promise they have a wholesale division who is delivering things like 1G/10G fiber services to every cell tower you see.

If you were a legit business and ready to sped the $1500-3k/mo plus paying for a portion of the up front fiber build out cost to your house, they'd talk.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The local telco will be happy to trench fiber anywhere you like...
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What's everyone's favorite anagram?

"Please Do Not Touch Steve's Pet Alligator."

"Please Do Not Throw Salami Pizza Away"
View Quote

Please Do Not Take Sales People's Advice
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Sneakernet is the future
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You probably were talking to the residential side of the house. I promise they have a wholesale division who is delivering things like 1G/10G fiber services to every cell tower you see.

If you were a legit business and ready to sped the $1500-3k/mo plus paying for a portion of the up front fiber build out cost to your house, they'd talk.
View Quote

We're about 5 miles from the closest cell tower. We always have dropped calls, failure to connect. Sometimes text messages come in hours later than they were sent. We can barely get 1 bar of 4G service. Most of the time our phones go into 3G or 1X coverage.

I'm an audio engineer. I need to upload some mixes for a guy in NYC to listen to over the weekend. I need to upload about 90GB worth of audio files (uncompressed, multitrack recording sessions). I'm going to have to go down the road to my brother in law's place who has full DSL service to do it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

all pussies seem to need deep porking

With apologies to... well, nobody.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sneakernet is the future
View Quote

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of magnetic tapes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We're about 5 miles from the closest cell tower. We always have dropped calls, failure to connect. Sometimes text messages come in hours later than they were sent. We can barely get 1 bar of 4G service. Most of the time our phones go into 3G or 1X coverage.

I'm an audio engineer. I need to upload some mixes for a guy in NYC to listen to over the weekend. I need to upload about 90GB worth of audio files (uncompressed, multitrack recording sessions). I'm going to have to go down the road to my brother in law's place who has full DSL service to do it.
View Quote

Sounds like you need a cell repeater and a slightly elevated directional antenna.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so fucking stealing that one.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sounds like you need a cell repeater and a slightly elevated directional antenna.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like he needs Elon to open up subscriptions at his latitude.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top