User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why did everyone hate them anyways
View Quote
They were predominantly Catholic in a protestant area. Heck, there used to be laws prohibiting Catholics from seeking public office in various parts of the country.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because most people then were White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, and having a bunch of Ginger Celtic Papists around upset them.

ETA: and because the Italians and Slavs hadn't arrived yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because most people then were White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, and having a bunch of Ginger Celtic Papists around upset them.

ETA: and because the Italians and Slavs hadn't arrived yet.
Hunkies for the win!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it wasn't for whiskey we would have taken over the world.
View Quote
Ed McMahon - God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Skip to 1:20.

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had a Italian friend that we called a Wop to harass him.
He's always correct us and say he was a Dago, because Wops are from  southern Italy.

On my side we're part Jock and part Squarehead.
View Quote
That reminds me of a joke my dad used to make to his Italian friend.

"Yoy know what they say about Perelli tires, Dago here, Dago there, but when Dago flat, Dago WOP WOP WOP."
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They were predominantly Catholic in a protestant area. Heck, there used to be laws prohibiting Catholics from seeking public office in various parts of the country.
View Quote
The area (Ireland) was Catholic. The ruling minority was English/protestant.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Irish I dentures servitude was comgmon. Much closer to slavery. In fact, it's slavery for a term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At what point in history could a black man own an Irish man? How many Irishmen were lynched from 1700 to 1963? Not really the same thing.
Irish I dentures servitude was comgmon. Much closer to slavery. In fact, it's slavery for a term.
Very common among German immigrants too in the 1600s and 1700s.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nope those signs didn't exist.

They're a modern created kitch for Irish folks too hang in their rec rooms.

There was "no irish" listed on things like nanny type positions, but the widespread myth that signs were up and Irish were looked on like blacks is pure horse shit.
View Quote
Nope. It was pretty widespread. Heck, there was a reason Irish in LE was so common back in the day. It was one of the few jobs that no-one else wanted, an a mick with little education could get.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The most Irish catholic in US history, JFK, is held in decent repute for a politician
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GD hates so called Irish-Americans.

Same with the Catholics.

If you are Irish Catholic, then it is strike two in GD Land.
The most Irish catholic in US history, JFK, is held in decent repute for a politician
He was the white sheep of the family.....
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quite a few Irish Catholics deserted the US army to fight for Mexico during the Mexican American War.
View Quote
Not quite a few...about 50-60, and a number others from all sorts of other units as well. Most had been drafted, and I don't think any were actually US citizens.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because they're Irish?

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Irish is not an ethnicity either.
View Quote
It sure is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
"The Irish slave trade began when 30,000 Irish prisoners were sold as slaves to the New World. The King James I Proclamation of 1625 required Irish political prisoners be sent overseas and sold to English settlers in the West Indies. By the mid 1600s, the Irish were the main slaves sold to Antigua and Montserrat. At that time, 70% of the total population of Montserrat were Irish slaves.
Ireland quickly became the biggest source of human livestock for English merchants. The majority of the early slaves to the New World were actually white.
From 1641 to 1652, over 500,000 Irish were killed by the English and another 300,000 were sold as slaves. Ireland’s population fell from about 1,500,000 to 600,000 in one single decade. Families were ripped apart as the British did not allow Irish dads to take their wives and children with them across the Atlantic. This led to a helpless population of homeless women and children. Britain’s solution was to auction them off as well." John Martin, "The Irish Slave Trade-The Forgotten "White" Slaves".
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
At what point in history could a black man own an Irish man? How many Irishmen were lynched from 1700 to 1963? Not really the same thing.
View Quote
Well, it was actually a black man in Virginia (who owned a number of white and black "indentured servants" who filed the lawsuit (and won!) That created the institution of slavery. Owning white people was, in the beginning, far more common than owning black  Also, there were a number of large land/ slave owners in the South during the Civil War period. As to lynching Irish, it wasn't uncommon, and was unremarkable because no-one cared what happened to them. So, in fact, it was level of interest both at the time and by historians that leaves us with our current perceptions.  History is seldom what we want it to be, and it is never
Entirely clean.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
lol. wow. Not even close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Irish I dentures servitude was common. Much closer to slavery. In fact, it's slavery for a term.
Historical records. You ignore them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just reading some shit posted by Mcaullay Caulkin (the looney ex child star) about how he was ashamed of his ancestors because they were "mostly Irish immigrants and probably pretty racist".
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#17]
First recorded instance of prejudice against the proto-Irish.

"I don't give 2 shits about wildings.. Gingers I hate" The Hound to Tormund Game of Thrones S07E6
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Irish I dentures servitude was common. Much closer to slavery. In fact, it's slavery for a term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Part of my ancestry got here that very way.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quite a few Irish Catholics deserted the US army to fight for Mexico during the Mexican American War.
View Quote
Yep. Had to do with their treatment. Not an excuse for treason, but a cause of the behavior.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not quite a few...about 50-60, and a number others from all sorts of other units as well. Most had been drafted, and I don't think any were actually US citizens.
View Quote

The US Army at the time was killing priests and raping nuns in Mexico, the drafted Irish saw it as an attack on their religion so the defected to Mexico
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, wasn't clear. I was talking about the US northeast.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There was "no irish" listed on things like nanny type positions, but the widespread myth that signs were up and Irish were looked on like blacks is pure horse shit.
View Quote
https://academic.oup.com/jsh/article-abstract/49/4/829/2412883
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Good ol Teddy Roosevelt wasn't fond of us either.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
There was an island in the caribbean where the british tried to create a perfect slave race by breeding irish and black slaves.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland%E2%80%93United_Kingdom_relations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Collins_(Irish_leader)
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Clicked on this thread and thought I'd been transported to DU
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Besides JFK?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

African slaves were taken better care of. They were a more long term investment.
Let my people go!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#29]
The Irish are the only group that I know of that have a vehicle named after them...The Paddy Wagon.  Does anybody know what WOP stands for?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rich and vibrant culture
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#32]
"We wuz slaves n shitte"

more victim class claims. Get over it. That was over 100yrs ago
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#33]
My family came to America in 1611. Prior to that they were suppressing the Irish in Ireland. My ancestor was English but was given a castle by Queen Elizabeth in Ireland after he massacred a bunch of the Irish who lived on the lands there. At one point he pulled some shit that was pretty similar to the Red Wedding in Game of Thrones; called a peace conference and then barred the doors and murdered everyone. The Irish got their revenge though: they hung him and one of his sons from a big tree (I think he used the same tree to hang Irishmen IIRC). Pretty fucked up family history.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
My wife's family is into being Irish, I've heard more than a few lectures on how bad the Irish had it whenever race relations get brought up. Like it's even a contest
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
1854: No Irish Need Apply
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah see if someone makes that comment about African Americans its racist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People overlook the Irish because in America, white people are all the same... right?
Yeah see if someone makes that comment about African Americans its racist.
Exactly. A quick glance into even the military history of Europe will illuminate the fact that no, white people are not all the same, by any stretch of the imagination.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that a new Apple product?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#38]
The part immediately following that is why the North won the war: no matter how many Feds you shot down they could(unconstitutionally) keep their ranks filled with fresh meat for the grinder.  The war was about time, not tactics.  The South could never replace men anywhere near that rate with the Naval blockade in place.

Irish Immigrants recurited to the Union Army

The men in the video were mid war replacements for the 69th N.Y., more commonly known as "The Irish Brigade".
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
They are inclined to sloth, indolence, crime, family violence and drunkeness.

Also, a lot of them have short pudgy fingers, and they are poor at math.

But, still, some of my best friends are Irish.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually... for the first hundred years or so of slavery in the colonies, African slavery was not hereditary and there were free blacks who held papers on white indentured servants (slaves).  There are court documents regarding law suits detailing some of the disputes when owners tried to dodge freeing slaves at the end of their indenture.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Disliking Italians isn't even racist, it just makes sense
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't forget Italians and slavs.
couldn't have said it better myself.

and if anyone could explain the fuck outa "moms sauce" that would be great.    it doesn't actually indicate whats for supper,   unless im just spooning puddles of tomato paste into my mouth..
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Protestant Reformation, they didn't.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Am I in before the potatoe jokes?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The part immediately following that is why the North won the war: no matter how many Feds you shot down they could(unconstitutionally) keep their ranks filled with fresh meat for the grinder.  The war was about time, not tactics.  The South could never replace men anywhere near that rate with the Naval blockade in place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jcvpEOl9ug

The men in the video were mid war replacements for the 69th N.Y., more commonly known as "The Irish Brigade".
View Quote
The South lost because they sucked at making war. No staff, poor intelligence, no logistics, poor strategy.

Fresh off the boat Irish were used extensively by both sides during the war.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't forget Italians and slavs.
View Quote
LOL, we are talking about people.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#46]
We wuz Leprechauns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I worked with a guy at US Steel called "Wop" for 6 months before I knew it wasn't his real name.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Third gen Irish.

Relatives came through Ellis Is at turn if the century.

Protestants.

Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Irish isn't a race, OP is an idiot.
View Quote
Mexican isn’t a race either but they are trying to make it so.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top