BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My great great grandfather was a German Jew who pretty much got mustered into the Union Army not long after arriving in NY.  I wonder what he would have thought about my choice in colleges.
View Quote
History is weird.

The best COIN campaign the US Army ever fought was against the KKK in the South after the Civil War. The forts stayed there, and now the US Army combat arms are populated disproportionately by the great great grandchildren of the vanquished.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Something about their Roman Potpourri.
View Quote
I get that reference
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The point I was trying to make was BLM seems to be the big talking point of the left but so many others have been on the receiving end of racism and hatred in this country.

Now you have reverse racism and this idea that the nation owes those a debt we can't repay....sorry but the answer is no we don't.
This white guilt crap gets old really fucking fast.

Sorry man just talking in general.
View Quote
LOL,
Try being a white Irish Cop in St Louis going to Ferguson.
I'm as guilty as it gets.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They were Papists. Catholics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why did everyone hate them anyways
They were Papists. Catholics.
Negative.  Mine forbearers were Irish Anglicans from County Cork and County Limerick.

"Dirty Protestants"
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm half Irish and half Pollock so the jokes just keep on coming.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Irish isn't a race, OP is an idiot.
View Quote
Tell that to the English.
You are neither a scholar nor a gentleman, Sir.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
People overlook the Irish because in America, white people are all the same... right?
View Quote
Yep.

That's why Persians from the Middle East are considered "white" (Caucasians) even though they are from a land far away.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My German grandfather use to hum a song which had a line ‘kick him again, he’s Irish!”

Always had a soft spot for the Irish girls myself.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:14:43 AM EDT
[#9]
They are probably second only to the Italians in regards to involvement in organized crime.

I'd recommend the movies "State of Grace", "The Town" and "The Departed".
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A Modest Proposal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most Irish Americans who sympathize with the IRA or try comparing Irish indentured servitude to African chattel slavery (as if it's somehow remotely related and thus just as terrible) understand very little of Irish history.

Watching Gangs of New York and Boondock Saints doesn't make you a fucking subject matter expert on Irish history - this is honestly where the majority of Irish Americans get their fervor from. I used to be the same way (being half Irish myself), but then I started reading and learning about all sides of the story of the Irish - not just from IRA sympathizers and drunken hooligans. Calling the Irish "slaves" is misleading. And to address the OP - yes, they had a shitty time when coming to the United States, but the last time I checked they weren't treated (literally) like fucking farm animals...

So, just stop with this comparing the Irish to African slaves - it's completely retarded.
I'm going to correct you just a wee bit.

They weren't treated literally like fucking farm animals...once they were in the United States.

Jonathan Swift literally wrote a famous satire piece against the English campaign of Ireland - boiled down, "How do we further subjugate these people for money? IDK we could eat their children that sounds cool"
A Modest Proposal.
A Modest Proposal indeed. All the dickbeaters in this thread downplaying how poorly most of the Irish had it.

Remember, the English quite literally starved ~15% of the Irish population to death with the Potato Famine. Famine doesn't occur naturally - it's a man-made disaster, usually as an act of war.

Another ~10-15% left the country due to English overreach and lack of work, cutting the country's population by a quarter.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Most people refuse to accept the concept that white Irish people were treated worse than blacks at one time. It just doesn’t fit the narrative
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because most people then were White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, and having a bunch of Ginger Celtic Papists around upset them.

ETA: and because the Italians and Slavs hadn't arrived yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why did everyone hate them anyways
Because most people then were White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, and having a bunch of Ginger Celtic Papists around upset them.

ETA: and because the Italians and Slavs hadn't arrived yet.
Ha but true.

Screw the Irish...wait a minute, who are these people!
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most people refuse to accept the concept that white Irish people were treated worse than blacks at one time. It just doesn't fit the narrative
View Quote
white guilt is prevalent even here on arfcom, isn't it
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#14]
You just have to laugh.

I'm very proud of my heritage . I'm an American first but I keep my families history close to my heart.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I was hoping this thread would contain Irish redhead chicks...
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was hoping this thread would contain Irish redhead chicks...
View Quote
It's not over yet
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nope those signs didn't exist.

They're a modern created kitch for Irish folks too hang in their rec rooms.

There was "no irish" listed on things like nanny type positions, but the widespread myth that signs were up and Irish were looked on like blacks is pure horse shit.
View Quote
We have a clueless person here.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top