Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Eh, if they can prove the illegal proceeds beyond a reasonable doubt, I don't care, but if that's the case, why not prosecute the crime as well?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they have the evidence necessary to demonstrate that he paid for the Land Rover with the proceeds of his illegal activity, I have zero issue with it.
Only after conviction. Not some local police chief that wants a new house.
Eh, if they can prove the illegal proceeds beyond a reasonable doubt, I don't care, but if that's the case, why not prosecute the crime as well?
THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT.  only after a trial.

hundreds of cases of year of local cops just keeping peoples cash and property without charging them. GOOGLE IT.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It is policing for profit. A local speed trap small town PD seized over $3 million and the driver of the truck was not arrested. The PD kept and spent the money on all new equipment and a new police building.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is policing for profit. A local speed trap small town PD seized over $3 million and the driver of the truck was not arrested. The PD kept and spent the money on all new equipment and a new police building.
View Quote
cash is not illegal.

The arresting cops and local administrators should be in prison.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is that really what you think this case is about?  Or are you just being dramatic?  I seriously cant tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's so fucking ridiculous, I have to assume you have no idea of what you're talking about.

How does law enforcement secure the evidence necessary to garner conviction if they can't seize it?

"Well, your honor, we found a kilo of cocaine in the defendant's possession, but since we couldn't seize until after he was convicted, we asked him to bring it to court today.  We were shocked when he failed to produce the cocaine, and then testified that he has never seen cocaine before in his entire life."
Is that really what you think this case is about?  Or are you just being dramatic?  I seriously cant tell.
I asked OP if he meant forfeiture instead of seizure.  He said seizure, thus my reply that you quoted.

This case is about a drug dealer selling $400 worth of dope, and a seized $40,000 motor vehicle.  I assume that the motor vehicle was seized and then forfeited, but the article doesn't make that clear.

If that's all we know, it is a disproportionate penalty.

If the prosecution proved that the dealer had no other source of income and that the motor vehicle wasn't a gift, or alternatively, that it was purchased with the proceeds of drug dealing, then what's the problem?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Its not hard to get back. You go to court and show the judge where it came from.  I mean, it is hard if you have a cash income that you havent been reporting for years.
View Quote
That assumes the judge will give you a fair hearing, isn't in on the scam, and doesn't rubber stamp any police action.

No one should have to prove the source of the currency they are in possession of, unless you got real evidence that it is the proceeds of criminal activity. Having large sums of cash, should not be treated as defacto criminal activity.

...and what exactly is sufficient evidence that the money is not the proceeds of criminal activity, is there a standard? Is showing a income enough? Do I have to have a bank receipt with the exact amount being withdrawn? What if I didn't just get it out, and I've been accumulating it over time, how do I prove that?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That assumes the judge will give you a fair hearing, isn't in on the scam, and doesn't rubber stamp any police action.

No one should have to prove the source of the currency they are in possession of, unless you got real evidence that it is the proceeds of criminal activity. Having large sums of cash, should not be treated as defacto criminal activity.

...and what exactly is sufficient evidence that the money is not the proceeds of criminal activity, is there a standard? Is showing a income enough? Do I have to have a bank receipt with the exact amount being withdrawn? What if I didn't just get it out, and I've been accumulating it over time, how do I prove that?
View Quote
and its also really a fifth amendment violation if it is truly from criminal activity. Testify how you violated at a minimum tax law to get this back..
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dumbest argument ever.  Your opinion is duly noted.

Have you ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? Yes, of course.

They can keep it only after prosecution. Incorrect.  In a lot of a few, thankfully heavily reported cases local cops just keep cash and property, but never charge anyone. It is theft. Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's so fucking ridiculous, I have to assume you have no idea of what you're talking about.

How does law enforcement secure the evidence necessary to garner conviction if they can't seize it?

"Well, your honor, we found a kilo of cocaine in the defendant's possession, but since we couldn't seize until after he was convicted, we asked him to bring it to court today.  We were shocked when he failed to produce the cocaine, and then testified that he has never seen cocaine before in his entire life."
Dumbest argument ever.  Your opinion is duly noted.

Have you ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? Yes, of course.

They can keep it only after prosecution. Incorrect.  In a lot of a few, thankfully heavily reported cases local cops just keep cash and property, but never charge anyone. It is theft. Agreed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd bet the driver never even showed up to court to contest the forfeiture.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Asset seizure is a bullshit law all the way around.    I hope the Indiana man wins.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm conflicted on asset seizure/forfeiture due to the widespread abuse.
View Quote
I’m not conflicted at all. If the property isn’t the fruit of illegal activity itself, seizure is blatantly unconstitutional and any LEO who would even consider taking it needs to find a new line of work.

Period.

Either you love your Freedom and Liberty or you don’t, there is no middle ground. Asset forfeiture is the canary in the coal mine for people who can’t see that a government powerful enough to give you everything you want is also powerful enough to take everything you have.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

hundreds of cases of year of local cops just keeping peoples cash and property without charging them. GOOGLE IT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they have the evidence necessary to demonstrate that he paid for the Land Rover with the proceeds of his illegal activity, I have zero issue with it.
Only after conviction. Not some local police chief that wants a new house.

Fucking hell, do you not understand when someone is agreeing with you?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe not, and maybe that was drug money. But if they can't prove that fact, then they need to return the money. Otherwise, they are the criminals in this situation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that's just the strangest thing I ever heard.  I'm truly stumped.

I still think it's dirty pool.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’m not conflicted at all. If the property isn’t the fruit of illegal activity itself, seizure is blatantly unconstitutional and any LEO who would even consider taking it needs to find a new line of work.
View Quote
even if it is fruit of an illegal activity, unless you are convicted of that activity it is unconstitutional to take it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just to clarify, you believe that seizing assets prior to conviction is theft, or do you mean forfeiture prior to conviction?
View Quote
I think we need to be careful to clarify that no assets should be seized until AFTER conviction, for two reasons:

1) the feds have a nasty habit of finding creative ways to seize put a lien on your home so that you can’t mortgage it to fund your legal defense

2) currently, the government seizes your shit and if you don’t inform them in writing that you want to keep it they will liquidate it after 30 days and grudgingly cash you out after your hopeful acquittal. They don’t have room to store all of their Ill-gotten gains, you see....
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you've handled many large cash seizures (six figures+), you'd know that most of those aren't chance encounters and the people it's seized from want nothing to do with it.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no issues of them seizing assets after someone has been prosecuted and found guilty of said crime. But to seize assets before is nothing more than theft by govt
Just to clarify, you believe that seizing assets prior to conviction is theft, or do you mean forfeiture prior to conviction?
Any asset seizure before getting found guilty in a courtroom is wrong.

HURRR-DUURRRR-DEE-DURRDEDUURRR, DERP(!)....
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
The only time I'm for asset forfeiture is if someone was found guilty of theft or a crime where the guilty party has to pay reparations of some sort then assets should be taken to pay them, otherwise I'm not for taking stuff away if property was legally obtained.

The drug war is just wrong and needs to stop and abused to take peoples property.  It isn't winnable and we need to just stop blowing all the money on this failed program.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So how about a gun used in a murder?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cocaine is not an asset. Cocaine is an illegal substance, subject to immediate seizure.
So how about a gun used in a murder?
We aren’t talking about vehicles being seized as evidence for evidentiary purposes. We are talking about stealing people’s cars.

A good example is taking a family’s car because the husband picks up a hooker.

A better example is pulling over a car that is on the way to buy a car out of the drivers state and then confiscating the driver’s $13k he needed to pay for his new truck.

That kind of theft.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a client lose a Geo Metro
WTF good is a $ 500 car?
View Quote
A lot of good if thatis your only way to your minimum wage job.

I don’t think this is that funny, TBH.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Civil asset forfeiture without an accompanying criminal conviction is bs. Forfeited assets should be directed to a jurisdiction’s general fund.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think we need to be careful to clarify that no assets should be seized until AFTER conviction, for two reasons:

1) the feds have a nasty habit of finding creative ways to seize put a lien on your home so that you can’t mortgage it to fund your legal defense

2) currently, the government seizes your shit and if you don’t inform them in writing that you want to keep it they will liquidate it after 30 days and grudgingly cash you out after your hopeful acquittal. They don’t have room to store all of their Ill-gotten gains, you see....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Forfeiture shouldn't occur until after conviction.

Seizure shouldn't occur without a reasonable suspicion.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you've handled many large cash seizures (six figures+), you'd know that most of those aren't chance encounters and the people it's seized from want nothing to do with it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Admittedly, I have not dealt with any large cash seizures.

Lots of little cash seizures, motor vehicles, firearms, burglary tools, assorted paraphernalia, indoor gardening equipment, a house once . . .
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is where I’m at. Way too much abuse of it and I wouldn’t be upset if the whole program is found unconstitutional. Can’t control the tools and apply it per a person’s rights, you loose said toys.

Again WoD is to blame.....end it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no issues of them seizing assets after someone has been prosecuted and found guilty of said crime. But to seize assets before is nothing more than theft by govt

Is the level of discourse that I can expect from you, or do you have anything cogent to add?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's abused never give so much power to .gov
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:57:09 PM EDT
[#28]
A stripper got her million bucks plus interest back from the state of Nebraska.

Claimed dog could smell drug residue on cash

https://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Woman-Suing-Nebraska-Wants-Million-Dollars-Returned-209807581.html
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Abandoned property is not really asset forfeiture. If nobody claims it, then it should go to the state (or finder). It isn't forfeited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asset seizure is when the police take property from it's rightful owner, or other person in possession of said property.

Asset forfeiture is when a court issues an order divesting the owner, ownership of the property.

Civil asset forfeiture is when a forfeiture is ordered without the benefit of a criminal conviction related to the property.  It is largely bullshit* in my estimation, because if I can't prove a crime occurred beyond a reasonable doubt there's no reason I should be able to dispossess someone of legal property by a preponderance of the evidence.

* I qualified it because there are some circumstances that civil asset forfeiture is fine in my book. Think abandoned property, or the time that a trooper found a pistol under the seat of an ex-con's rental car, the ex-con stated it wasn't his and he didn't know how it got there, the trooper believed him, and took the gun.

ETA: I should probably note for the pedantic set that by ex-con, I mean, a guy previously convicted of a felony and no longer incarcerated or on paper; that it's illegal for such a gentlemen to have a firearm in his possession; and that having a firearm in your car is having a firearm in your possession.
Abandoned property is not really asset forfeiture. If nobody claims it, then it should go to the state (or finder). It isn't forfeited.
Except that I can't sell it at public auction until I demonstrate to the court that it is abandoned property, and then receive an order of forfeiture form said court.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is the level of discourse that I can expect from you, or do you have anything cogent to add?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was pretty clear from your post that you shot from the hip, and don’t understand the problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:00:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A stripper got her million bucks plus interest back from the state of Nebraska.

Claimed dog could smell drug residue on cash

https://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Woman-Suing-Nebraska-Wants-Million-Dollars-Returned-209807581.html
View Quote
All issues concerning the use of drug sniffing dogs aside, there's drug residue on just about every piece of paper money in this country.

What crock of shit.  I'm glad she won. I'm hoping the state paid her legal fees as well.  Off to read the article.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#32]
This case is going to result in the 8th Amend finally being incorporated to the States. The value of the vehicle seized was 4x the maximum fine for the crime committed
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No.

Forfeiture shouldn't occur until after conviction.

Seizure shouldn't occur without a reasonable suspicion.
View Quote
That’s how they do it now. And then they sell your shit for Pennies on the dollar and make you sue to be made whole again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

All issues concerning the use of drug sniffing dogs aside, there's drug residue on just about every piece of paper money in this country.

What crock of shit.  I'm glad she won. I'm hoping the state paid her legal fees as well.  Off to read the article.
View Quote
@MotorMouth

This article is much more detailed
.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2013/07/judge_returns_1_million_to_stripper_says_theres_no_proof_its_connected_to_drugs
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Civil asset forfeiture without an accompanying criminal conviction is bs. Civil seizure assets should be directed to a jurisdictions general fund.
View Quote
No, if you make it go into a general fund, the pressure to “perform” and stop crimes involving high dollar, easily liquid assets just comes from a higher level of government, usually with funding levels attached to performance,

If you wanna be honest about it, the property should be sold upon conviction and the proceeds disbursed to victims-not the ,gov.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any asset seizure is wrong.

Only time I can see auctioning off a person property, is if they owe money and cannot pay.

Its flat out robbery......dont even give a shit if they bought it with drug money.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It was pretty clear from your post that you shot from the hip, and don’t understand the problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand the problem.  I also understand that some of the people in this thread don't understand how to define the problem.

OP was talking about seizure.  I asked him if he really meant forfeiture.  He stuck with seizure.

I pitched him shit, because seizure before conviction is not only reasonable, it is necessary. It so basic, the founders even saw fit to mention it in the bill of rights.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@MotorMouth

This article is much more detailed
.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2013/07/judge_returns_1_million_to_stripper_says_theres_no_proof_its_connected_to_drugs
Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Only time I can see auctioning off a person property, is if they owe money and cannot pay.

Its flat out robbery......dont even give a shit if they bought it with drug money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@theotherdave

See?  This is what I mean about defining the problem.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#43]
If they can prove illegal proceeds after a conviction, OK.

If they're going to seize something for auction to cover constitutionally compliant fines - which is what this case is actually about, for those not paying attention - OK.

Take someone's shit without charging them, let alone convicting them?   Not OK.   Fuck right off with that bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Asset seizure/forfeiture PRIOR to a conviction is ABSOLUTE bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#45]
I think the cops have gone nuts with asset seizures.  It's become legalized theft where the burden of proof has been shifted to the victim to prove that the item(s) seized was lawfully acquired.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

your example is pants on head retarded.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If they can prove illegal proceeds after a conviction, OK.

If they're going to seize something for auction to cover constitutionally compliant fines - which is what this case is actually about, for those not paying attention - OK.

Take someone's shit without charging them, let alone convicting them?   Not OK.   Fuck right off with that bullshit.
View Quote
The case isn't about auctioning property to cover criminal fines, constitutionally compliant or not.  They didn't seize his car to pay his fines.  They seized his car because used it to commit the crime he was convicted of. (As far as I can tell from the articles I've read, he was never fined.  He did accrue $1,200 in "supervision fees."

What's being argued is that the forfeiture of a $42,000 car (used as a criminal instrument) for a crime that has a maximum penalty of $10,000 is so disproportionate that it violates the eighth amendment prohibition against excessive fines.

FWIW, I agree that it is disproportionate/excessive, and I hope he prevails.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your opinion is duly noted.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:33:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
It aint abandoned, someone had it. They are forcing a fifth amendment trap.

Self incriminate yourself, or we steal your property.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:34:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Waco was a test of asset forfeiture.

Always Think Forfeiture

https://boingboing.net/2008/06/09/atf-leatherman-tool.html
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top