Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
People who call themselves pet parents, do you have other kids or just the pets?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone who refers to their pets as their children, or to themselves as the parents of said pet, is immediately dismissed as a mental deficient as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP sounds like his GF left him for a dog lol
View Quote

I am married with 5 real kids. We have a farm with dozens and dozens of different animals. I have sutured them, have decent vet bills, and they rely on me for their health and well being. They are not my kids though and I am not their dad. I am a father to my children and husband to my wife.

Strike a nerve and people react with name calling
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am married with 5 real kids. We have a farm with dozens and dozens of different animals. I have sutured them, have decent vet bills, and they rely on me for their health and well being. They are not my kids though and I am not their dad. I am a father to my children and husband to my wife.

Strike a nerve and people react with name calling
View Quote

I don't call my animals my kids, but I also think there's already enough real problems in the world. I don't need to fabricate new things to get upset about.

Especially something so silly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My dog is a rescue dog, I rescued him

From what?

From being a dog
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

LOL. Nobody cares.

Careful, some people care way more about their pets than most people.

View Quote

There is a great level of narcissism in people say this. These people enjoy controlling their pets and are pissed they can't control people.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
After becoming a dad to an actual human baby, I can say that being a parent to a human vs. a dog, cat, or any other animal are totally different things.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Totally agree with OP. A portion of Arfcom though now wishes harm on him for stating the obvious.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Let me know when you drop $5,000 taking your dog to Disneyland.
View Quote

I know someone who just spent $7000 for ACL surgery on a dog.

A friend of mine's daughter is a vet - was told to specialize - now she does $5000 doggie cataract surgeries along with her regular practice.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to annoy the OP some more, the similarities between kids and puppies is vast.

1- They need proper raising/ training, otherwise they turn into little shit heads.
2- They need exercise and naps, otherwise they're little terrors.
3- They rely on you for all of their meals and medical needs.  
4- They put everything they find on the ground in their mouths.
5- They rarely sleep through the night  without crying.  
6- They have accidents

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Agreed.  Step son asked me last year what I was getting the granddogs for Christmas.  Told him to fuck off.  He didn't ask again.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I care for around 30 or so dogs now, been blessed with lots of room and resources for fences etc, and I cringe when someone calls them my "fur babies".......I love the zoo but can't stand some of those terms.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The phrases of "pet parent" or "dog mom" are for the mentally ill. You didn't give birth to a dog and you didn't get a dog pregnant. You own a pet, that's it. Pet owner.

View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
But muh fur babies!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is a great level of narcissism in people say this. These people enjoy controlling their pets and are pissed they can't control people.
View Quote
I disagree.  That might be true for some, but another perfectly valid reason for it is that dogs for example are extremely loyal and next to never desert an owner who cares about them.  Egro, people who have been royally fucked over by humans sometimes view animals as the only trustworthy companion.

I can see their logic and don't blame them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The phrases of “pet parent” or “dog mom” are for the mentally ill. You didn’t give birth to a dog and you didn’t get a dog pregnant. You own a pet, that’s it. Pet owner.

View Quote

Just curious, but does your logic apply to adopted children and foster children as well?

I happen to know one person who I really would describe as a "dog mom", as she dotes on her dog better than most people treat their children, and that dog really is a part of her family.

As for your last comment, I have no doubt whatsoever that she would have spent whatever it would have taken to bring her dog to Disneyland with her, had they allowed it.

I'd also wager that her dog is better behaved than most people's children.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but why  get upset or offended over such a simple concept? To some people, their pets are members of their family, and not just "property that they own".

Why does that concept upset you so much?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Signs of a degenerate and decadent society headed to the corpse pile of history.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The phrases of “pet parent” or “dog mom” are for the mentally ill. You didn’t give birth to a dog and you didn’t get a dog pregnant. You own a pet, that’s it. Pet owner.

View Quote

Its a shame youve been here 10 years and have seen this retarded post as many times as I have, yet are so bored and dead inside you felt the need to post it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Only couple I've seen that you could consider "pet parents" were incapable of having children. Definitely substituted dogs for kids in life. I wouldn't consider them mentally ill though as they were both successful and happy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I guess that makes me a "Cat Dad", which actually sounds kinda cool.
View Quote

Sorry, but you will never be as cool as Kate Upton's "Cat Daddy" dance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife and I call our dogs "the babies".  It's a tongue-in-cheek thing.  She'll show me a random picture of a cute animal and say "look at the baby!".  We have 4 actual children (high school and college) and we don't give 2 fucks what you or anyone else thinks about what we call our dogs.  

When we go to family or friends houses, we call their animals babies.  As in me: "hey babe, look at their awesome dog!", and her: "awww what a cute baby!".  Or I send her a picture of a random dog, and she replies "awww what a sweet baby!".

Hopefully op can sleep at night knowing of these atrocities.

And, yes, there are people who genuinely treat their animals like humans and take it too far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
After my SIL had her first kid, I asked Her Husband how it was being a New Dad.  He looked at me like I had a third eye and said "I've been a Dad for a while.  We've had the dogs for several years.  It's the same thing"

View Quote

Ask him who gets preferential treatment when the dog bites the kid.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Cat people are nuts
View Quote

Now wait a goddam minute.  My parents are cat people!

Oh, wait.  I apologize.  They ARE definitely nuts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just throwing this out there, but if you adopt a human child, are you not their parent? Or do you own the child?
View Quote

I’ve recently started calling my older brothers who were adopted my rescue brothers, not necessarily to poke them, but make fun of dog rescue people.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP is mad at words.

Old man yelling at clouds

What are your preferred pronouns for pets OP? We don't want to upset you with the wrong ones.
View Quote

All of my dog's pronouns are "fucking dogs".
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This +1.

Legitimate disabilities excluded, if someone needs emotional support from a dog to walk into walmart or lowes for 5 minutes then they should get mental health help.
View Quote

^this

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
100%. And the people that take their animals in stores and restaurants. I dont want to be around you, much less your filthy pet.
View Quote

I feel the same way about filthy kids.  Keep the crotch fruits in the car with the windows cracked. They can play with the radio and cig lighter.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My dog is a rescue dog, I rescued him

From what?

From being a dog
View Quote

I always assumed it was from getting the needle?

Thought that was an easy one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I disagree.  That might be true for some, but another perfectly valid reason for it is that dogs for example are extremely loyal and next to never desert an owner who cares about them.  Egro, people who have been royally fucked over by humans sometimes view animals as the only trustworthy companion.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saying it's "about control" is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.

If you've ever actually seen someone who's dog was treated like family, you would understand that it's a completely different dynamic from how most people treat a regular "pet". In some cases, it really is a loving, caring relationship that closely resembles a good parent/child relationship.

I guess it's just something you have to see to truly understand.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I’m a great dog dad to this little guy. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/572575/IMG_4376_jpeg-3079506.JPG
View Quote

John Wick just entered the chat.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ask him who gets preferential treatment when the dog bites the kid.
View Quote

I'd honestly be scared to know the answer to that.  They are edgy lefties.  Pretty much anything that is normal human behavior they rebel against.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#33]
It's just another sign of the West's abandonment of Judeo-Christian principles.  

Humans and animals are not synonymous; animals deserve respect, but aren't human, nor do they truly have human qualities, they just mimic some of them at times.

Man having dominion over creation isn't what most believe.  Its all Mother Earth and we're the problem and animals are better than people, etc etc etc

The moral outrage many have when someone kicks a dog and yet abortion doesn't move their needle tells you all you need to know about the depravity of our popular culture.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

John Wick just entered the chat.
View Quote

Right now bagel the beagle is what keeps me going and is holding it all together
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Those that call their guns "their babies" are just as bad. Maybe worse.

Fucking GD... lol
View Quote

"This is my Main Squeeze Rifle"
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Is it ok if I refer to all of my female dogs as "the girls"?
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#38]
My BIL's wife is like that. Dog is basically their child, talks to it and about it as if it's a kid.
It's fucking weird, but I'm not an animal person so maybe it's more normal than I know.
She is also a raging Democrat dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Those that call their guns "their babies" are just as bad. Maybe worse.

Fucking GD... lol
View Quote

Have you seen the way some people obsess over their cars and trucks?

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Is it retarded?  Yes.

Is it worth wasting site resources?  No.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you've ever actually seen someone who's dog was treated like family, you would understand that it's a completely different dynamic from how most people treat a regular "pet". In some cases, it really is a loving, caring relationship that closely resembles a good parent/child relationship.

View Quote

Can you send a person to obedience school to obey your commands? Can you lock a person in a kennel? It's about the ability to control another being.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#42]
It's 2024, the world is going (has gone?) to hell in a handbasket, and the OP is having an anxiety attack because people do cutesy shit regarding their pets.  Oh the huge manatee....

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I agree with you but....you really think there isn't people that have done that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you but....you really think there isn't people that have done that?

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cat people are nuts
View Quote

Common knowledge.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I guess that makes me a "Cat Dad", which actually sounds kinda cool.
View Quote

Cool Cat Daddy FTW!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Show us your “Who rescued who?” bumper sticker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just throwing this out there, but if you adopt a human child, are you not their parent? Or do you own the child?

Show us your “Who rescued who?” bumper sticker.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

LOL. Nobody cares.

Careful, some people care way more about their pets than most people.

View Quote

Present.

On both counts.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#48]
retards.

people who obsess over animals are mentally ill.

Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Can you send a person to obedience school to obey your commands? Can you lock a person in a kennel? It's about the ability to control another being.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of military school, huh?

Ever been grounded as a kid?

YOU may be into controlling your pets, but that’s no reason to project your behavior onto others. That's what Liberals do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm not a huge animal person, but I get that some people like them. That's totally cool, and they can spend their money how they like and call themselves whatever they want, and I am equally free to mock them for it. That said, if the zombies ever come, I will have no qualms shooting their fur baby and feeding it to my actual babies.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top