Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What does it cost to build something like that?
View Quote
This one cost $1.4 billion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Go on..

@aksig
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Norwegian Epic on the other hand....
Go on..

@aksig
I was on the Epic for a 7 night cruise in the Med.

I have never felt so cramped and stood in as many lines as I did on that ship. The layout causes many funnel points that are always clogged with people. Especially the main buffet.

Also, the speciality restaurants were underwhelming and far inferior to the ones on RC. Then again, since they throw those in for free, what can you expect?

Gave Norwegian another chance on the Jewel for an Alaska cruise and experienced more of the same. Swore off Norwegian after that.

Unless you a willing to drop huge coin for Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, Azzamara, Crystal, etc...RC is the way to go. 7 day+ as others have mentioned as well.

Im a big fan of the Oasis class as even with all those people on the ship, you never feel cramped and you never really stand in lines. The older Oasis and Allure are also more affordable than they used to be. The Symphony's inaugural Trans-Atlantic was $4k for the largest non-suite "hump" balcony for the wife and I. Not bad at all for a 12 nighter on a brand new ship.

@VooDoo3dfx
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm far more interested in the destination then I am with the bobbing around in the ocean for days at a time with a shitload of other people I have zero interest in and 24 hour a day buffets.

Cruises are very appealing to some, I get that.

I am absolutely not one of them. No thanks. Kind of a personal hell actually.

Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I went on Oasis last year, we got a few extra free days at sea/port on it due to dodging hurricanes. That was enough Royal Caribbean for me.I'll stick with Disney cruises.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm far more interested in the destination then I am with the bobbing around in the ocean for days at a time with a shitload of other people I have zero interest in and 24 hour a day buffets.

http://www.latimes.com/resizer/Tgj13QAFHN4PEHem_-oFaO4vDV4=/1400x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/LHE5ER6PIFDOJBQYWGGGJ5TY2Q.jpg
View Quote
Yeah...  I'm going to say 'Do not want'.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've often thought the same thing.

There HAS to be metric shit tons of ballast along the keel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the heck are these things not top heavy?
I've often thought the same thing.

There HAS to be metric shit tons of ballast along the keel.
Probably enough lead to keep all the bullet casters on Arfcom supplied for 10 years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd love to have a traditional, first class passenger liner experience. A true vacation. Being around hordes of people is no getaway at all. I hate touristy areas for the same reason. No electronics, do some trap and skeet shooting, have some fine cocktails, lounge in a comfy chair with a cigar, have a nice conversation, fancy dinners, live orchestral music, ballroom dancing, high levels of dress and decorum, full service, fancy cabin. Good break from today's world.
View Quote
Don't buy the wifi package, and with maybe the exception of trap and skeet you'll be getting exactly what you described....

Cruise threads are always fun.  95% of the people who have been loved it and can't wait to go back.  95% of the people who haven't been are convinced it's the worst experience possible.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Just awful. Who would consider that cattle call to be relaxing. Which level of Dante's Inferno is that?

I recall that riding the Star ferry from Hong Kong to Kowloon was less crowded.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Wel iked NCL and took an annual trip to Bermuda with them for a few years, but we liked Holland America better. (nicer ship, better food)

NCL does an excellent job of keeping kids out from underfoot, which makes things much more pleasant.

Holland America is all old farts.

Get a better cabin, and do not eat in the fucking buffet. Go to the dining rooms, where the civilized people eat.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://www.latimes.com/resizer/Tgj13QAFHN4PEHem_-oFaO4vDV4=/1400x0/arc-anglerfish-arc2-prod-tronc.s3.amazonaws.com/public/LHE5ER6PIFDOJBQYWGGGJ5TY2Q.jpg
View Quote
These are the same people that fly to the Bahamas or other Caribbean destinations and then pay huge money to stay in a big plastic resort like Atlantis.  They're surrounded by some of the most beautiful water, beaches, wildlife, reefs and islands you can imagine, but they'd rather float in an inland water park full of people on floats going in circles on a lazy river while surrounded by plastic rocks.  I simply can't comprehend why people enjoy that, and it's all I can do to put up with an "on shore" day with the kids at Atlantis.

I LOVE being out on the ocean - going to far flung destinations, exploring uninhabited islands, enjoying time with family and friends, and overcoming the inevitable challenges.  I understand the need for mass transportation to do such things, because most people won't be able to do it on their own.  I don't understand why people don't want to get away from the daily grind, though.  We've had people charter our yachts and sit in their cabins and watch satellite TV while playing on their phone all day.  It's actually somewhat unusual to find adventurous guests who want to hit blue water, quiet islands, scuba dive or do something similar.  Most guests are merely interested in doing just enough canned but exciting looking activities to get their posts liked and feel good about themselves.  I guess the upside is that all of the great spots remain empty for me to enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope nope nope, too many people
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:34:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
FUCK THAT!!!

All those people

I hate crowds
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are these ships still dumping all their sewage into the sea before they come into port?
View Quote
Whales poop as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#14]
perfect setting for a zombie apocalypse
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Swim in a pool with a bunch of old fat bald people stuffed in like sardines... looks awesome lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
F*ck that ship.  I hate crowds.  Small boats are better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How the heck are these things not top heavy?
View Quote
when they are out at sea, there are huge underwater stabilizers (wings) that span out and increase stability

This looks like a fun ship.  We usually sail NCL or Carnival but I have been on Celebrity also.  Cruises are what you make of them and I really enjoy them.   Guess what GD, I like Disney too!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean aboard the Oasis of the Seas. There were 6500 passengers aboard and even during days at sea I felt like I never saw more than 25-50 in one place at a time.

These ships are so big, and there is so much to do at so many locations on board that I hardly saw anybody.

The only place that was busy was the main dining room at dinner time.

I would recommend a cruise to everyone.
View Quote
NO NO NO. GD hates cruise ships because you can't open carry and they don't sell beef jerky in the gift shop...wait, maybe they do?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Cesspool of flu and germs.  No guns.  You can't drive away when you want.  Not for me. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Took a ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn. Never again.  Look up MS Estonia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:06:00 PM EDT
[#22]
A side note about food and 24 hour buffets.  At least on the last cruise I went on a month ago, that wasn’t a thing.

On Serenade of the Seas, the windjammer buffet restaurant closes at like 9.  The only option you have for food is one tiny place that serves some pizza and cold sandwiches (both of which suck) or room service, which incurs a delivery charge.

There wasn’t a 24 hour buffet, or even a late night buffet.  You want something after 9?  You’re basically fucked.

That part of it it actually sucked, because there were nights where I wanted something before midnight and simply couldn’t get it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A side note about food and 24 hour buffets.  At least on the last cruise I went on a month ago, that wasn’t a thing.

On Serenade of the Seas, the windjammer buffet restaurant closes at like 9.  The only option you have for food is one tiny place that serves some pizza and cold sandwiches (both of which suck) or room service, which incurs a delivery charge.

There wasn’t a 24 hour buffet, or even a late night buffet.  You want something after 9?  You’re basically fucked.

That part of it it actually sucked, because there were nights where I wanted something before midnight and simply couldn’t get it.
View Quote
NCL used to have a 24 hour(?) hamburger etc. joint called the Blue Lagoon.

Don't know if they still do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
30 foot draft is so it can get through the Panama Canal.
View Quote
New Panamax maximums:

Length: 1201 ft

Beam:   161ft

Draught:  50ft

Height:  190ft (relates to clearing the Bridge of the Americas at the Pacific Entrance to the canal.  If a ship can’t clear it, it can’t make the full trip)

Symphony of the Seas:

Length:  1188 ft (clear by 13 feet)
Beam:    155.7 at the waterline (clears by 5.3 feet).  But 215.5 max (depends on how high up, but could fail by almost 60 feet)
Draught:  31 feet (clear by 19 feet)
Height:   238 feet (would fail by 48 feet)

Basically, Symphony might not fit.  It certainly couldn’t traverse the whole canal.  It *might* be able to go through the Atlantic locks, go a little bit into the canal, turn around, and come back.  But that will be really tricky, based on how much clearance there is to spare and depending on the beam of the ship above the waterline.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
People pay over $10k to do that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's nuts considering the cost of a week-long private yacht charter can be about $5K per person
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I rode the MS Estonia about a month and a half before it's ill-fated journey. As we entered the ferry we were handed paper maps to find our rooms underneath the parking decks. I remember commenting then how impossible it would be to escape should the ship capsize. Every longitudinal hallway would be a low ceiling...  Every horizontal hallway a vertical shaft... We spent most of the evening dancing in the discotheque.
I was back in high school, summer over, when I found out my nightmare had become a reality.

I can't imagine how bad it'd be to be caught somewhere in the midst of this new behemoth if it layers over on it's side.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#28]
All of us...on one ship...off the coast of Somalia...
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just awful. Who would consider that cattle call to be relaxing. Which level of Dante's Inferno is that?

I recall that riding the Star ferry from Hong Kong to Kowloon was less crowded.
View Quote
That pic was clearly taken during some kind of pool event... like the belly flop contest or something.   That is NOT how it is the entire trip.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
FUCK THAT!!!

All those people

I hate crowds
View All Quotes
I've been on the oasis and independence once each and be on the allure next month, while that's a typical day at the pool, the rest of the boat feels rather empty. Though I'm not much of a swimmer or sun bather so it doesn't bother me at all. I go hit up all the bars and other things during that time, or nurse my hangovers lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, those are the people that paid $700/pp or less.

Big difference.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#33]
I would rather eat broken glass
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Digging that robot bartender.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fCuSpYSy4Nw/hqdefault.jpg
View Quote
I would hate to be the guy that has to touch up the points on that, glass every where
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I would like to know how all these germaphobes make it through a day in the real world. I bet I get sick less than the majority of them because my immune system is built up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I rode the MS Estonia about a month and a half before it's ill-fated journey. As we entered the ferry we were handed paper maps to find our rooms underneath the parking decks. I remember commenting then how impossible it would be to escape should the ship capsize. Every longitudinal hallway would be a low ceiling...  Every horizontal hallway a vertical shaft... We spent most of the evening dancing in the discotheque.
I was back in high school, summer over, when I found out my nightmare had become a reality.

I can't imagine how bad it'd be to be caught somewhere in the midst of this new behemoth if it layers over on it's side.
View Quote
I've never been on a cruise ship, but I was pondering the same scenario several days ago. Just wondering how the hell you would find and make your way out of one of those floating graveyards if things went sideways.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone ever gone on a Viking river cruise? The cruises look decent.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Epic norovirus shitstorm producer. People that take cruises are ready for the Wall-E world right now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:16:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anyone ever gone on a Viking river cruise? The cruises look decent.

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/
View Quote
I cant recall the line I was on but took a river trip from Switzerland down to Holland.

Really fun experience. Always close view of the country side, great stops along the way, food was great.....great rooms. Small boats so it isn't some floating shopping center with insane amounts of people.

That said I'd rent a car to do it all again. I'd prefer to spend whatever time I want, wherever I want without a fixed schedule.

1 day (or partial day) just isn't enough time sometimes at certain locations. Get back on the boat or it sails without you.

Still a really fun trip. Definitely on the short list for great cruises.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
8,000 people. No thanks.

I want to take a cruise to relax. Not deal with hordes of people.
View Quote
Exactly. If you book a cruise, choose a boat with around 3000 passengers and you won't have to wait in line for anything. I can't imagine 8000 people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:23:28 PM EDT
[#42]
who in the hell wants to be out on the water with 8,000 people you dont know???? Talk about a sitting duck for an attack..NO THX!
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Being trapped on a ship with 8000 People of Walmart is a horror movie, not a vacation...
View Quote
Made me laugh
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Dunno why I laughed, but I did.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:25:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
8,000 people. No thanks.

I want to take a cruise to relax. Not deal with hordes of people.
View Quote
That's a lot of Noro virus!
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:27:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Next stop...

Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't see how anyone can possibly find it enjoyable to take a cruise on that floating monstrosity. 8,000 people fighting for a spot in the buffet lines? Screw that. I have no desire to take any cruise, especially on something like that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Smaller cruise ships that aren’t so theme park and shopping center oriented can be nice since they really are just designed to keep you entertained between islands, vs being the main attraction. I’ve done several cruises on the Nordic Empress (I believe she goes by Empress of the Seas now) and it was a blast.

By modern standards she is a kayak though

Empress on the right
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Honestly, I’d prefer a voyage on Titanic (aside from the sinking part).  No TV, no WiFi, nothing but authentic non-amplified music, etc.

People dressing well, no kids running around like lunatics, no pool deck with a bunch of yelling and screaming and ugly people flopping their shit out everywhere.

I’d kill for the main activities to be enjoying the world float by, engaging in intelligent conversation, enjoying a brandy and playing some cards in the smoking room, etc.

Life has gotten to be too complicated.  I want an actual, back to basics but luxurious retreat.  The last thing I want to do is jump on a noisy cruise ship with 8000 other adults and kids who are obnoxious, have no sense of decorum, etc. and who can’t drop the TV, WiFi, music, or whatever for a few days.  I enjoy some of the smaller ships, but these new enormous ones just sound like a nightmare.
View Quote
Amen, sign me up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Not for me, for so many reasons.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top