Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s so bad that the company I currently work for just sent me an email asking me to come back to work for them. I’m not sure if they mean “don’t quit over the weekend” or if they don’t know I still work there. Maybe I should reply and negotiate a new salary?
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There use to be limits on un-employment benefits.

Cut this off, cut off the free medical, cut off SNAP (food stamps), they will go to work
View Quote

Yep. They're being paid to not work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

who is paying that much to sit home? Are you talking unemployment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The labor participation rate has dropped because some states are paying people more than $100,000 a year to not work and plenty pay more than $80,000.

You want to go look for a job and work or just sit at home and make $40-$50 an hour?

Source.

Federal welfare in the form of cash aid, food stamps, WIC, and a bunch of other money you'd never even think of.

State/local programs.

Semi private/nonprofit things like churches that pay utility bills, food pantries, some cities/states still have General Assistance and programs like that.

A lot of these people have a whole circuit of programs they go to and/or are signed up for benefits in multiple states or under multiple names.

Section 8 and other rent assistance or even homebuying assistance programs.

Things like: Have kids, don't report the Dad so you get full benefits and he doesn't have to pay child support, then you move into his house as his "tenant" and he gets your "rent" paid by Section 8.

Sometimes a sister or friend will get paid for babysitting and housekeeping if you are "looking for a job". People sign up to do it for each other.

It just goes on and on.

People who supposedly can't keep a job or be expected to obtain a photo ID to vote understand these programs and how they all work together like a Harvard lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I saw a Red Robin close at 4:30pm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ate lunch today at a place that made me wait for a table while they juggled tasks enough to go clean off a table.

But I’ve been assured on here, around once a week or so, that fast food workers will all be fired and replaced by robots before getting a pay raise.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The labor participation rate has dropped because some states are paying people more than $100,000 a year to not work and plenty pay more than $80,000.

You want to go look for a job and work or just sit at home and make $40-$50 an hour?

Source.

On top of all the Welfare programs I named above, don't forget massive disability/worker's comp fraud, which can then also get you a bunch of the welfare/public assistance money.

And people get their kids diagnosed with all kinds of things to get them on SSI. In some parts of the country everyone in the house might be on disability for some bullshit. They call it different things, "draw check", "crazy check", etc.

You know those free "Obama phones?"     They don't really verify anything for many of them. People go around and get 10 or more under different fake names and sell them. The phones get reloaded monthly with minutes and data.

There are a million hustles like this.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A lot of people legit went mad for several years.

People who were still self quarantining in 2022.

On the flip side, a lot of other people stopped giving a fuck about the rules once they saw what else was going on around society and what little reaction there was to it from the authorities.

I won't lie, I am a far far bitter, angrier person than I was three years ago, and my appetite for bullshit in public is very very low now.

In my industry (maritime) we've had ships have to get USCG exemptions several times because they could not fill a crew position with a relief crewmember when one leaves. They put out the call to the various union halls and nobody takes the job. Positions that had guys on waiting lists just several years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe 10-20 years from now studies will show that COVID infections have changed people mentally, I work in the public sector and employees and the public are not the same. Something did happen, it’s not just long COVID or depression that some suffer from.

A lot of people legit went mad for several years.

People who were still self quarantining in 2022.

On the flip side, a lot of other people stopped giving a fuck about the rules once they saw what else was going on around society and what little reaction there was to it from the authorities.

I won't lie, I am a far far bitter, angrier person than I was three years ago, and my appetite for bullshit in public is very very low now.

In my industry (maritime) we've had ships have to get USCG exemptions several times because they could not fill a crew position with a relief crewmember when one leaves. They put out the call to the various union halls and nobody takes the job. Positions that had guys on waiting lists just several years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I drove by a small town weed shop in the UP MI.  There were 20+ people standing in line outside on the handicap ramp IN THE RAIN waiting to buy.  I consider myself libertarian leaning, but good God no wonder there's no one working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weed shop owner

I drove by a small town weed shop in the UP MI.  There were 20+ people standing in line outside on the handicap ramp IN THE RAIN waiting to buy.  I consider myself libertarian leaning, but good God no wonder there's no one working.

Just wait until opiates and fent are legalized
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I head Vegas is bleeding cops. Nobody wants to be a cop anymore in big cities. Why risk getting jammed up. Anyone that can drop papers either has or is seriously considering it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don’t forget hedonists. An alarming number of people think that the purpose of life is to experience as much pleasure as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they're atheist materialists. They're disgusting wretches.

Don’t forget hedonists. An alarming number of people think that the purpose of life is to experience as much pleasure as possible.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OnlyFans, Yeesh! Did you know there's an OnlyFans podcast? Possibly the most depressing thing I have ever heard in my life. People who see everything in their life as a piece of meat and/or a resource to be exploited.
View Quote

I mean, that's been going on since the first priest passed around an offering plate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
uh they are retired thats where.

people didnt  have enough kids. surprise.
View Quote

They prioritized hedonism and consumerism over faith, family and tradition.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But I've been assured on here, around once a week or so, that fast food workers will all be fired and replaced by robots before getting a pay raise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ate lunch today at a place that made me wait for a table while they juggled tasks enough to go clean off a table.

But I've been assured on here, around once a week or so, that fast food workers will all be fired and replaced by robots before getting a pay raise.
Yes and no. Besides automation, the other options are to simply run their short staffs ragged, or simply shorten hours of operation.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My Mexican neighbor, here legally, is seriously considering going back to Mexico.  If that doesn't tell you something........

Tony

View Quote

I've kinda figured the immigration problem will solve itself at some point in my life.  Things seem to be spiraling downward here, while manufacturing jobs are being moved to Mexico. Maybe the day will come sooner than I thought.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Federal welfare in the form of cash aid, food stamps, WIC, and a bunch of other money you'd never even think of.

State/local programs.

Semi private/nonprofit things like churches that pay utility bills, food pantries, some cities/states still have General Assistance and programs like that.

A lot of these people have a whole circuit of programs they go to and/or are signed up for benefits in multiple states or under multiple names.

Section 8 and other rent assistance or even homebuying assistance programs.

Things like: Have kids, don't report the Dad so you get full benefits and he doesn't have to pay child support, then you move into his house as his "tenant" and he gets your "rent" paid by Section 8.

Sometimes a sister or friend will get paid for babysitting and housekeeping if you are "looking for a job". People sign up to do it for each other.

It just goes on and on.

People who supposedly can't keep a job or be expected to obtain a photo ID to vote understand these programs and how they all work together like a Harvard lawyer.
View Quote
This is exactly why you shouldn't get to vote if you are a net negative taxpayer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Listening last night to a police officer in a large community and she said they are short staffed. Are people sitting home? Do we have more jobs post covid and not enough workers?
Help me understand.
View Quote

It’s called, ‘Atlas Shrugging.’

Competent/qualified folks are calling it quits ASAP and leaving their jobs in the ‘system’ to be filled by the less competent and less qualified.

Call it early retirement, becoming self-employed, or maybe doing the off-grid homesteading thing. They’re simply choosing in mass to not be just another cog in the monolithic economic wheel.

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Source.
View Quote

Well shit…Sign me up !!!

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Every time this comes up for discussion few ever call out the real reason this is.

There are simply not enough people to support the level of services we have now to sustain the population at today's level.

We will see a inverse affect of this once the boomers begin to decline faster... we are just around the half way point now so have a number of years to go.

Since birth rates are very low; low experience jobs are few and far taken as simply not enough young people to fill them.

In professional levels you have the opposite affect; not anywhere near the amount of skilled labor to fill all of them boomers are exiting and a price war is happening for a select group.  
I am in this group and see it; it will continue to get worse unless brand new labor comes in to fill the gap and a retraction of services most of us are accustomed too.  

View Quote

That’s a contributing factor for sure, and something we need to fix, but labor participation is down. The above doesn’t explain that.

The reality is that entitlement spending is a fucking disaster. We have people quit just so they don’t exceed income levels that would kick them off different benefits. And all this shit is tied to inflation, so the “just pay people more” line doesn’t work, it just perpetuates the cycle. We have to end disincentives to working.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Baby Boomers are retiring and some are passing away.  Their kids are receiving inheritances and spending like crazy.

Add that to Gov pay that equals the President Carter years (and inflation) and you get what you see looking out your windshield.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Where are people getting $100k to sit on their azz?  I'll sign up for FSA.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#20]
id consider being a cop once the pay was150K starting and moved to 250 after a decade, with pension.
fuckt hat job. ungrateful degenerate society hates cops. so... why put up with that

as for factory work. we have a 3rd shift starting at 25 a hour in milwaukee wi which is great pay for the area.
still cant get an employee worth a damn in.
if it goes on much longer, we will be buying from china and reselling only not MFG. that workforce can GFTS. lazy pieces of trash these days.
I have more orders than i know what to do with, but when im operating the shop floor for 3 years  straight vs running a business, its not scalable.
i cant wait for AI to rat fuck all the sectors and people beg for work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bad crazy parents. Or none at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing I've noticed is teenagers don't really work anymore, but I'm not sure why

A lot of working as a teenager was to afford that first car, and then fuel/insure/maintain it enough to drive it to and from work.

The car isn’t the aspirational symbol of freedom and independence it once was, I’m sure that has something to do with it. ETA in retrospect I spent a lot of my teen years at work. Helped in a lot of ways, others… maybe it would have done me some good to just have more fun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it may be the opposite, kids too wealthy to desire work
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Lucid laid off 1800 workers last year in this area. Not much else around here except prisons
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One thing I've noticed is teenagers don't really work anymore, but I'm not sure why
View Quote
They don't need much money to hang out online at home. When I was a teen I was driving around all day.  Needed gas, food, cigarette, drug, and beer money.  Plus money to buy cool shit.
My 17 year old doesn't do much outside other than going fishing or hunting with me. All her socialization is online. It's weird to me but it is what it is.  She doesn't need money.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The lack of skilled workers in manufacturing is a threat to national security. We can’t build ships, subs, aircraft, tanks etcetera without workers. It’s not like the auto industry where we can just make some robots to do the work.
View Quote

Outside of those currently building objects for national security needs, the idea of maintaining some sort strategic reserve is a hopelessly romantic notion.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The lack of skilled workers in manufacturing is a threat to national security. We can't build ships, subs, aircraft, tanks etcetera without workers. It's not like the auto industry where we can just make some robots to do the work.
View Quote
Companies need to realize nobody can afford to live on their starting wages for years until they are skilled enough to get the top wage.  If the trained employee makes 30 an hour you need to start at 25 at least and train someone up to 30.  Overing 15 you aren't gonna find anyone to train worth a shit.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#27]
WFH jobs and Moms decided to stay home and raise kids.

My wife has been a stay at home mom since 1998.

Why spend extra gas, car wear and tear, food, taxes to waste you life vs staying at home to raise you kids?

Covid taught folks they can do more for less, and I mean non gov leach/welfare folks.

The internet and streaming video provides lots of entertainment from home.

Less time going out, less money needed.

Some people used their time to get educated, find better jobs and not grind their life away for minimum wage etc.

Many have decided they will settle for less vs working their ass off and dying at the keyboard or assembly line after a 50-60hr work week.

Carrots nor sticks will not change the current path of employment in the US.

Seems since their is no pension at the end of the rainbow, best to just enjoy life with less stuff and more time off.

People will own nothing, but indeed like it because they don't have to work 40-50yrs a week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A lot of them have reached retirement age. Follow on generations are smaller.  Do the math.
View Quote
And many folks retired early.

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I did my part.  Retired as a firefighter.  Forcefully retired too otherwise I’d still be doing it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep. They're being paid to not work.
View Quote

my gf grew up poor and her family lost food stamps when the govt caught her older sister working
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#31]
It should be no secret why law enforcement is struggling to fill positions after the last three or four years
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#32]
There are a bunch of clueless old people in this thread. All these welfare programs existed before the pandemic, but there were still people staffing restaurants and retail stores. There are no workers now because it's too expensive to live in many areas for what many jobs pay. This is because of the dramatic rise in real estate over the last few years.

The median asking rent price in this country for a studio apartment was $1463 in August. How many jobs don't pay that much, or barely do after withholding taxes? Plenty. Redfin souce

You cannot have high housing prices as well as cheap labor. Housing, as well as transportation are things that working people cannot go without. If the businesses can't pay enough for workers to pay rent, then the workers have to move and the businesses don't have workers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There are a bunch of clueless old people in this thread. All these welfare programs existed before the pandemic, but there were still people staffing restaurants and retail stores. There are no workers now because it's too expensive to live in many areas for what many jobs pay. This is because of the dramatic rise in real estate over the last few years.

The median asking rent price in this country for a studio apartment was $1463 in August. How many jobs don't pay that much, or barely do after withholding taxes? Plenty. Redfin souce

You cannot have high housing prices as well as cheap labor. Housing, as well as transportation are things that working people cannot go without. If the businesses can't pay enough for workers to pay rent, then the workers have to move and the businesses don't have workers.
View Quote

When I sold my father's house in Reno I had a lot of people coming by who wanted to rent, not buy. The woman who bought the place stated the intention of turning it into a rental property after renovation.

I suppose we shall see how much longer this race to the wall can continue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Joe Biden has created such an amazingly strong economy such that we have more jobs than people to fill those jobs
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Who would want to work as a cop for a community that will string you up if anything goes sideways to appease the mob?
View Quote

Hit the nail on the head

Oh my best bud is a deputy in Arizona. 7 people dedicates to an area the size of Connecticut.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Teachers are getting tired of the bullshit and leaving for the private sector.  At my son's school they have lost 4 since the beginning of the year.  They make a shit salary, many are forced to drive a bus, they get stuck doing a bunch of crap besides teaching because the budget doesn't allow enough support staff, and they are forced to focus on test results and not teaching kids how to learn. IMO the people we want teaching get fed up a d leave only which leaves the people we don't want teaching our kids.  We need to stop pissing money away on other countries and focus our own future.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Teachers are getting tired of the bullshit and leaving for the private sector.  At my son's school they have lost 4 since the beginning of the year.  They make a shit salary, many are forced to drive a bus, they get stuck doing a bunch of crap besides teaching because the budget doesn't allow enough support staff, and they are forced to focus on test results and not teaching kids how to learn. IMO the people we want teaching get fed up a d leave only which leaves the people we don't want teaching our kids.  We need to stop pissing money away on other countries and focus our own future.
View Quote
I agree. Made a post about it once. Didn't go well here.  If you want top notch teachers who give a fuck the job needs  to pay a lot . If the pay is shit the only ones willing to do it are pedophiles and people who have a passion for brainwashing children with woke politics.    By sending our nations kids to the lowest common denominator for education we sabotaged our future
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I agree. Made a post about it once. Didn't go well here.  If you want top notch teachers who give a fuck the job needs  to pay a lot . If the pay is shit the only ones willing to do it are pedophiles and people who have a passion for brainwashing children with woke politics.    By sending our nations kids to the lowest common denominator for education we sabotaged our future
View Quote

The Simpsons - Krusty The Clown's Rant
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:04:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Rent and basic needs have skyrockeyed. Why struggle with low paying jobs if you have an alternative?

I dont know what those alternatives are but apparently people are finding them
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

The programs existed, but fewer people utilized them. Again- entitlement spending is up 50% from pre pandemic levels.

My theory is Covid just normalized it. People who would never have tried to game the system before got used to it with stimulus checks and figured fuck it, why not get mine. But whatever the reason, you can’t deny that we’re spending a hell of a lot more now on people not working.

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#41]
There are several factors, with covid being the straw that broke the camels back. The main factor is the birth rate. There simply are not, and have not been enough babies born to keep our economy moving. But, this is a worldwide phenomenon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There are several factors, with covid being the straw that broke the camels back. The main factor is the birth rate. There simply are not, and have not been enough babies born to keep our economy moving. But, this is a worldwide phenomenon.
View Quote

400K per year shortage increasing each year until 2032 when it maxes out at 900K per year shortage.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Source.
View Quote

Note that is for a family of four. Unemployed and have kids and you get a lot more shit than single people. I live in IL. You can get up to 26 weeks unemployment per year. And that amounts to about $1300 a month.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have been to 3 Starbucks and 2 Dunkin’s recently and walked out after 5 minutes of waiting at the cash register and nobody taking my order. 3 of those had only 1 person working there and thery were too busy working the drive through to bother with the in store customer.
View Quote

That happened to me at a KFC a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Shit. Any data on reasons? Curious about the pay vs. "these fucking kids" ratio among the departures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Remember when DeSantis wanted veterans in the classroom? The first year, all 6 statewide quit. Last year, 38 of 38 statewide quit. This year, looks like none of the 65 are staying either.

Shit. Any data on reasons? Curious about the pay vs. "these fucking kids" ratio among the departures.

The juice is not worth the squeeze because of the kids and admin.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My guess is that they have given up on life.

Many people are coming to the conclusion that modern corporatist western civilization just isn't worth the effort to keep it afloat. So they are finding lots of nice little holes to crawl into where they can wait for the end to come.

These trends have been in place since the 2008 financial crisis. Covidiocy accelerated them to a phenomenal degree.
View Quote

This post nails it. No, I am not one of these people. But I get it.

Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My city has proclaimed many times that equity, not equality, and diversity are the number one priority in hiring city workers.

That means no huwhite pepo need apply.

My oldest, freshman in college now, started applying everywhere that had a help wanted or now hiring sign.
Rarely got call backs or interviews. One local place she applied at is soon closing and one of their excuses was they could not find applicants. She ended up working food service at a retirement facility part time during high school and full time during summer making decent money and qualified for full benefits.

I sometimes wonder if these cities are bemoaning lack of applicants to lobby for h1bs and illegals filling the jobs.
View Quote

I've applied to a couple dozen jobs. Only one called back offering me $14.00/hour as an assistant store manager with 2 years retail experience and 12 years military experience.

There are no serious job offerings out there.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of kids don’t feel the need to drive. So no need to work to save up for a car, etc. I know a lot of parents who push their kids to study, volunteer, play sports or other extracurriculars to make their college applications look really good. I worked and still did good in school.

The only college students I know that actually work are the ones who really need the money. Otherwise, the parents are pushing the kids to only study, not work.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Listening last night to a police officer in a large community and she said they are short staffed. Are people sitting home? Do we have more jobs post covid and not enough workers?

Help me understand.
View Quote

Getting into police or teaching is prohibitive in most cases. Either you start right after college or .mil, or you might as well forget about it. They make it nearly impossible to transition into either one- plus:
Police make shit $.
Teacher's need a Master's + bullshit certification in most states, just to teach K-8, not even high school.

Retail and factory are laughable $ in 99% of the cases, so nobody wants to do those.
Link Posted: 9/23/2023 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#50]
This is all by design.

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top