Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Posted: 8/24/2017 9:06:23 PM EDT
Some of you remember last spring, the President of the WY Secondary Art Educators Associasion approached me at the State Art Show and voiced his concern that "other teachers" were not happy with my students bringing taxidermy projects to the show.  He said "they" thought it didn't meet the Fine Art Standards.  
He said there was talk of banning it, or charging more for it to be shown.  They are supposed to talk about it this fall at their fall meeting.  

That was enough to piss me off pretty good, and I haven't let that bone go yet.  We won't be going back if they do something like that. I spend too much of my budget matting stuff for that show anyway.  It will save me a good $700.

Out of spite and obnoxiousnes.....    My answer to this was to tell the kids we are going to "taxidermy" a Unicorn.  

To do this we ordered a zebra form,  and today we started the adventure.   It will have everything that a normal taxidermy project from my classroom has, but no skin.  The eyes, ears, and nose will be sculpted, painted and decorated.    It will have an environment to accompany the mount.  We will displaybit proudly in our school when finished.

This was the day the form arrived in the spring, right before school got out.  

Today we built a stand to work on the form.  They also sanded and filed down the form to make it ready for our burlap covering .  This will precede the mirrored glass we will apply to a majority of the form, so people can look at the unicorn and see themselves thousands of times.

Kids also cut the ear forms to look like a horses.  

I'll update the thread with in-progress work, as i do my other student build threads.  

Come along for the adventure.  

This was what probably put us over the edge.  My students did this mount for s former student.  It won "3D Student Choice" at the show two years ago.  Imagine that, a taxidermy project winning the esteemed best of show award out of around 4500 total pieces.      And selected by students, no less.  
Black bear eating a whitetail
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Can my kid sign up for your class?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Unicorns.  

Don't stop there. Winged unicorn (pegasus unicorn).  Have some creative writing students write something up for them and how overhunting made them extinct.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude...

I guarantee you people would pay GOOD money for a well-done unicorn shoulder mount.

I don't know where you'd find horse capes to make it look realistic but there has to be a source out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Heh...go get 'em Mr. Guns!

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget the glitter.

I'm dead serious.

Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude...

I guarantee you people would pay GOOD money for a well-done unicorn shoulder mount.

I don't know where you'd find horse capes to make it look realistic but there has to be a source out there somewhere.
View Quote
Well, it's going to look exactly like a REAL unicorn, it just won't have a hairy skin. It will have a horses mane, as my crazy students have already volunteered their horses tails .  

We are going to sculpt a horn with epoxy putty to look like a gemsbok's.  We were going to buy one, but I think they can sculpt one.  It will prove my point even more by doing it that way.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm dead serious.

View Quote
No shit; we are talking about using it on the insides of the nose and ears, possibly the lips.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unicorns.  

Don't stop there. Winged unicorn (pegasus unicorn).  Have some creative writing students write something up for them and how overhunting made them extinct.
View Quote
I actually think your Pegasunicorn  idea is pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can my kid sign up for your class?
View Quote
Yes, but they will need their own chair....   I'm at 18 desks and 24 kids in one class this year.

We had an influx of about 100 students over the last 4 yrs.  Normal population is 450.  We are at 550.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No shit; we are talking about using it on the insides of the nose and ears, possibly the lips.  
View Quote
Too bad it's not a full body.  You could have made it lift it's tail and fart glitter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#13]
What about some sculpted droppings?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#14]
That's bullshit they're thinking of not allowing the taxidermy.

Oh well, you still win coolest teacher award, and this is definitely a TAG, because your threads always deliver!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#15]
OP deserves a cold stone!  You rock!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Definitelt getting in on this one, should be pretty neat. Last year was amazing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh yes !, I must tag this thread...lol...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
It needs to exhale it and snort when approached within, say, 3 feet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:24:11 PM EDT
[#19]
We were brain storming what to do for an environment today, and I told them I wouldn't mind it looking like something from "Pandora" from the movie "Avatar".  

We are looking at fiber optic "plants" to surround our unicorn.  We will be able to plug the mount into the wall outlet when it is finally displayed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#20]
This is officially a "TAG" for this thread!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Fuckin A OP, I love it
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We were brain storming what to do for an environment today, and I told them I wouldn't mind it looking like something from "Pandora" from the movie "Avatar".  

We are looking at fiber optic "plants" to surround our unicorn.  We will be able to plug the mount into the wall outlet when it is finally displayed.
View Quote
You can use EL Wire around the plant stems to make glowing veins.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Too bad it's not a full body.  You could have made it lift it's tail and fart glitter.
View Quote
I spent way to much money on the form as it is.

African forms are stupid expensive.  A full body would be over a grand, easy.  Thats a little excessive to make a statement.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]
"You do you", "Express yourself through the art", "Don't let them oppress your voice"... and all the other shit the leftists say.

If they reject this one, let your students make some dueling big hairy cocks, and say it is some homo shit.  You're sure to win awards, then! 
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You can use EL Wire around the plant stems to make glowing veins.
View Quote
My son suggested the same.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Sofa king in.

I remember that BS from the other "teachers." Jealousy is an ugly thing.

Give 'em hell.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I actually think your Pegasunicorn  idea is pretty good.
View Quote
I was going to suggest a pegasus-centaur-unicorn, but that would appear demonic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#31]
OP is a good teacher.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone who says it isnt an art is an asshole. You kids do AMAZING work year after year. No matter what their task. What a piece of shit
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#33]

You are an awesome teacher and your students are lucky beyond imagination.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'd piss them off good by using a slaughtered horse.  Not kidding.

Edit:  And an oryx horn, straight from Mother Africa.
View Quote
In South Africa and Namibia, our guide, who fought in Rhodesia, called them Gemsbok.

It's close to $60 per horn, and I'm not giving up one of mine.  

We can make one.  May take some work, but it's the same process we use for fixing antlers and antelope horns that are damaged.

After painting.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm dead serious.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag!

Awesome stuff there.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This project is so full of awesome.

I can't wait to see it unfold.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#38]
In on one
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Dear guns,

I hope for their sake they are not going to be changing the rules for the show.

I was a kid once who one of my only outlets was art. I t helped me a ton get through my child hood and through some bad times.

I have a serious problem with them banning taxidermy and trying to up the fees, just because they do not like the context of what is being shown.

over the years many artists have done many works that have offended and raised controversy in the world.

Art will always be in the eye of the beholder and all art is valid no matter how simple or complex.

I have been a collector now for many years of many fine artists. some of the students in my area produce some great art and i have bought plenty of it.

I totally disagree with them trying to not show what your wonderful students produce.

You are one of the better art teachers i have ever seen and you care about your students and your program.

Alot of the members here would go to bat for you and your program, and I am one of them.

Please keep us informed of what is going on.

I f you need support please let us know. your projects have always been above and beyond others.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#40]
These threads are always great. I'm sure it's going to be fabulous OP
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I spent way to much money on the form as it is.

African forms are stupid expensive.  A full body would be over a grand, easy.  Thats a little excessive to make a statement.
View Quote
ARFCOM crowdfunding!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#43]
IN ON ONE!

Epicness will be experienced again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Awwwwww yeah!  Love these art threads.

I wonder what robotics the unicorn will have.

Getting gun horn?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#45]
These are literally the best threads in GD.  Keep up the good work OP!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'd piss them off good by using a slaughtered horse.  Not kidding.

Edit:  And an oryx horn, straight from Mother Africa.
View Quote
Make it a confederate unicorn  too. Lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Any one who says that taxidermy is not an art has never tried to tan a hide........

What a dumb ass thing to say.......

Keep up the good fight!

Red
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ARFCOM crowdfunding!
View Quote
OP.
If your class needs $$ we could always help. Gladly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish my kid could be in your class.

Nice Call of Duty and Halo mural also.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
ARFCOM crowdfunding!
View Quote
Check with Stryker, get approval, I'd be in....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top