Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Charcuterie and patisserie shops.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The service is already shitty. I'd rather not pay extra for someone to do their job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, because you want shitty service here in the States.
The service is already shitty. I'd rather not pay extra for someone to do their job.

It isn't paying someone extra to do their job, it is customary and understood that this part of the cost of dining out.

You will pay for the cost of the labor one way or another.  Eliminate tipping and have their employers pay them more will necessitate an increase in the cost of your food, and you will have no say in it.  The servers will also have less motivation to please the diners, because they know how much is coming to them regardless of your dining experience.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Whatta got? I realize "Europeans" is a pretty broad term.

My call is "Holiday". IMO many of them know how to balance life and work. The ones I work with routinely disappear for one or two weeks at various times throughout the year. Their attitude seems to be that either their business colleagues can step in in their absence, or it can jolly well wait until they return. I rarely work with a European professional that has the "squirrel on crack" mindset that so many US professionals do. Not advocating being lazy, but damn, IMO we could learn a thing or two from them about this.
View Quote

Completely agree.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If you get shitty service leave a 0% tip. Tell the waiter or waitress that they sucked ass and tell the manager.

If I do happen to go to a crappy restaurant like Olive Garden I will talk to the hostess and let them know that I’d like to be seated with the best waiter or waitress. Very simple.

Also remember that the EU charges a 20% VAT tax on most food items served in restaurants cafés, airports or takeout.  

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish their culture of non-tipping would become more common here.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My call is "Holiday". IMO many of them know how to balance life and work. The ones I work with routinely disappear for one or two weeks at various times throughout the year. Their attitude seems to be that either their business colleagues can step in in their absence, or it can jolly well wait until they return. I rarely work with a European professional that has the "squirrel on crack" mindset that so many US professionals do. Not advocating being lazy, but damn, IMO we could learn a thing or two from them about this.
View Quote

Open your own business and you can give your employees all the 'Holiday' you want, it isn't the governments job to mandate shit like this.   And if you fell 'like a victim', like the liberals want to sell to you, and you don't have enough 'Holiday' get a different fucking job with more 'Holiday' - its called FREEDOM on both sides of the equation, for Gods sake have some confidence in yourself and quit relying on others to 'fix it for you'
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

try eating at better places.  

Or leave a bad tip and tell the manager why on your way out the door. If you don't tell the manager, the waitress will assume you're an asshole instead of taking the lesson that she should improve her service skills.  However, if you do this, don't ever plan on eating there again; she'll get the line cooks and dishwashers to spit in your food next time.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Open your own business and you can give your employees all the 'Holiday' you want, it isn't the governments job to mandate shit like this.   And if you fell 'like a victim', like the liberals want to sell to you, and you don't have enough 'Holiday' get a different fucking job with more 'Holiday' - its called FREEDOM on both sides of the equation, for Gods sake have some confidence in yourself and quit relying on others to 'fix it for you'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

show the class where  he said "it's the government's job to mandate shit like this" in his post.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Walk places
Eat good food
Not work much
Wear nice clothing but not own a lot of it
Drink wine
Fuck European women

That’s what I did when I was over there. Life was measured differently. Why work yourself to death doing something that doesn’t matter when you can wear one nice outfit and drink all day in a 3,000 year old castle while the hottest women you’ve seen in your life prance by?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Walk places
Eat good food
Not work much
Drink wine
Fuck European women

That's what I did when I was over there. Life was measured differently. Why work yourself to death doing something that doesn't matter when you can wear one nice outfit and drink all day in a 3,000 year old castle while the hottest women you've seen in your life prance by?
View Quote
Just imagine how much less we would have to work if a huge portion of your wages didn't go to government waste and all the government employees were forced to get productive jobs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Scandinavian countries will show full frontal nudity on daytime TV and suntan topless in the local park and I'm OK with that.

Then again it is not littered with land whales from Walmart so scratch that...
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I like their equivalent of our " nutrition facts" label a bit better with the E codes.

The nationalized/government train systems don't suck.  Amtrak is an embarrassment for a first world country.  Either get the government out completely and let it die or fix it.

Decent and commonly availible low alcohol beers.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Many EU countries treat firearm mufflers as inexpensive, unregulated over the counter safety accessories.
View Quote

Yep, what I came to post.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sweden & Norway, Czechoslovakia, the USSR, and a few other places all broke apart peacefully.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It isn't paying someone extra to do their job, it is customary and understood that this part of the cost of dining out.

You will pay for the cost of the labor one way or another.  Eliminate tipping and have their employers pay them more will necessitate an increase in the cost of your food, and you will have no say in it.  The servers will also have less motivation to please the diners, because they know how much is coming to them regardless of your dining experience.
View Quote

Why does this only have to happen in the hospitality industry? You don't tip your mechanic, or landscape guy, or cashiers, or nurses, or the  line cooks for that matter, yet they all must perform some kind of service for you which  mustn't displease you.

What's so special about pouring water in a glass that we need to provide the additional financial incentive?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Walk places
Eat good food
Not work much
Drink wine
Fuck European women

That's what I did when I was over there. Life was measured differently. Why work yourself to death doing something that doesn't matter when you can wear one nice outfit and drink all day in a 3,000 year old castle while the hottest women you've seen in your life prance by?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We don’t need a military to secure our capital from ourselves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't have a real military and make us pay for all of it.

Holy shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep, which is why I noted things are changing.  When I was working overseas it was becoming more common to see fat ugly flight attendants as well, something you never used to see on KLM, Lufthansa, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eat a much better diet and not be fat; even that's changing though unfortunately.
Been to the UK in the last 5 years? They're right there with us.

Yep, which is why I noted things are changing.  When I was working overseas it was becoming more common to see fat ugly flight attendants as well, something you never used to see on KLM, Lufthansa, etc.

Don’t know where you guys have been in the UK, but where I live right now, our fatties would be considered “mildly chubby” in the US (I lived in California, not the fattest state by a long shot). It’s really hard to see +300 lbs whales on scooters at the local Tesco Superstore, here.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Traffic moves better . They rarely have the unskilled and uninsured driving. Harder driving test.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Women act and dress like women.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Better french fries
View Quote

I think the real difference is in Europe they are just fresher.  Here most fries sit under a heat lamp because most fries are fast food items in America

In Europe most fries are cooked to order in real restaurants.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
And Farmers Markets
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Prices on goods in shops - in UK the price displayed is inclusive of tax.

Mostly - some exceptions.

It is a small thing but noticeable. To me anyway.
View Quote

You know why we do it that way? It is so that you can plainly see how much the government is stealing from you. The other way round makes it easy for the government to do shit like charge 20% VAT taxes for the privilege of allowing you to spend the half of your money that they were kind enough to allow you to keep after income taxes. I know Europeans find it quirky, but they also seem to enjoy paying more taxes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#24]
work life balance and actually taking time off
bidets
displaying the actual price and having it include all taxes and fees
getting another country to spend a ton of money on military stuff to protect us would be nice.

im mixed on tipping, on one hand i like the idea of not tipping, on the other i dont want to wait 40 minutes for an appetizer because i happen to order right before their half hour break.

edit and autobahns. our speed limits are pretty much universally 30-50+ mph too slow on major roads
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And Farmers Markets
View Quote

legal prostitution

legal drogas

quality construction of houses/buildings/structures

tall dutch females

A little ride on my s1000rr after the winter!

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The nationalized/government train systems don't suck.
View Quote

They are subsidized heavily by the government.  Anyone can make a train profitable with free government cheese.

Trains are for freight  Get in your car if you want to go somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Work to live

Food portions smaller= less fat people

Pubs always in walking distance

Lived in England, Scotland, and Netherlands briefly for work. Between the train system and a bike rental I had no need for a car. Train system would be cost intensive for all of the US, but the idea is appealing compared to congested road traffic
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Do things like have a North American Union like the European union?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#29]
And they can keep their universal health care.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think the real difference is in Europe they are just fresher.  Here most fries sit under a heat lamp because most fries are fast food items in America

View Quote
The main difference is cooking the fries in beef tallow. McDonalds used to do this back in the day, but it's more expensive than ultra processed vegetable oils. Of course the flash frozen variety will never be as good as fresh.

Why Belgium Has The World’s Best Fries | Food Secrets Ep. 2

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Take the stairs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't have a real military and make us pay for all of it.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, the Germans certainly knew how to deal with communists in 1919...
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#34]
(info may be dated) 14 years in Europe total.

- When you buy a British lottery ticket, the tax is in the cost of the ticket. You win, you take home the entire jackpot, in cash, on a pallet if that's the way you want it. A guy did it that way while we were there.

- Europeans on the whole dress much better than Americans. They're quiet a bit slimmer, as well, though that's probably changing. Getting off an aircraft in America was a rude shock...I'd never seen so many morbidly obese people in my life.

- The attitude towards work is real. There were 16 nations represented on Geilenkirchen. Mid-July, the US and Canada ran the place, because everyone else was on holiday. Our NATO secretary told me she could identify Americans and Kanucks by the speed of their footfalls...we generally walk much faster (her desk was right at the entrance to the commanders office, at the end of a long hall). I watched her do it. Pretty impressive.

- German work standards are very high. Damn near everything requires a certification, and for the most part shit gets fixed right the first time. Our Dutch movers considered themselves "professionals". They took out an upper story window, installed a mobile elevator and got stuff up on the second floor I wouldn't have believed. Clean, pressed overalls, on-time and sober. They don't pick up a couple of guys from the Lowes parking lot every morning. They were actually fairly impressed by how our stuff arrived (I tipped the Florida crew generously). The foreman told me "Please convey our best wishes and compliments to our American colleagues"...and he meant it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, the Germans certainly knew how to deal with communists in 1919...
View Quote
What the fuck are you blathering on about?  The Germans of WWI basically made the Russian revolution happen.  Without those dumb fucks half of the world would not have been communist for most of the 20th century.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#36]
They are a lot better about limiting what you can put in a product that will be sold as "food" than we are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Driving.
View Quote

I agree, but different for every country:
Germany follow the law to the nth degree.  Still many sections of the Autobahn with no speed limit.
Italy every man for himself and the Devil take the hindmost.  3 lane roads means 5 cars wide.  Sidewalks aren't just for pedestrians.
UK, Think LEFT, think Left, think LEFT.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#38]
They also are much more strict about cars on the road meeting minimum safety standards.  You don't see any dip-shits careening down the road in cobbled together hoopties with bald tires, bouncing on the blown out shocks like they're in a boat, and a turn indicator hanging off the car by it's wiring.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#39]
If there's one thing I'm good at, it's taking PTO.  Last job I was at, I worked long enough to get 6 weeks.  And I took every minute of it.  Luckily, I had a manager that understood the need for that, and we made sure others were around to cover for me when I was out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Lots of good suggestions here.  

When I was in England I really dug the corner pub (sometimes every corner ) thing.  

Locals pissing on about basically everything was entertaining to watch and seemed to create a real sense of community.

Their way of not trying to legislate morality is probably better although it's hit and miss like everywhere else.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many EU countries treat firearm mufflers as inexpensive, unregulated over the counter safety accessories.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#42]
They disappear from work for far longer that a week or two at a time, especially in France, where I have quite a bit of experience with them.

They also absolutely stop answering the phone/working exactly at 1700, or on weekends. This is great for them and everything, but it makes our business of servicing 24/7 european industrial operations more difficult.  This is a big contrast with our US operations in which everyone hopes to not need to be bothered on their time off, but does not demand it because they understand the nature of the business.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They disappear from work for far longer that a week or two at a time, especially in France, where I have quite a bit of experience with them.

They also absolutely stop answering the phone/working exactly at 1700, or on weekends. This is great for them and everything, but it makes our business of servicing 24/7 european industrial operations more difficult.  This is a big contrast with our US operations in which everyone hopes to not need to be bothered on their time off, but does not demand it because they understand the nature of the business.

View Quote
Europeans have the work to live philosophy.

We have the live to work.

European cities are dead on Sundays compared to American ones.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Finland has lax suppressor laws, they sell them at checkout counters stacked like Kinder eggs.

Other than that Europe has jack shit to offer us.  Only faggot shitbird scum like the dem left see anything to emulate.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Americans also tend to believe Effort = Work, and Motion = Progress.

The mentality of "A job isn't worth doing unless you're grinding yourself into dust! Anyone who tries to do things more efficiently is just lazy!" is bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They do have that right. We are grind till there's nothing left

Americans also tend to believe Effort = Work, and Motion = Progress.

The mentality of "A job isn't worth doing unless you're grinding yourself into dust! Anyone who tries to do things more efficiently is just lazy!" is bullshit.

I’ve worked with German, Swede, French, and British contractors at various times.

The Germans seemed to take work very seriously, while drinking beer, and once work was done, no more mention of it.
Swedes had a similar attitude.
French seemed to build their work day around meal planning.
I can’t remember what the Brits were like.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Personally I'm quite fond of their gun laws, would love to move to Europe just so I can own an AR-15 or AK
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The main difference is cooking the fries in beef tallow. McDonalds used to do this back in the day, but it's more expensive than ultra processed vegetable oils. Of course the flash frozen variety will never be as good as fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4dmXrrwIY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4dmXrrwIY
Not all Euro restaurants cook with that.

But you are right.  No American ones do.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#48]
OP likes NPR, and frequently starts sentences with "I heard on NPR".
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Americans don't need any more help being fat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Taking the European approach all depends on the execution. As the old joke goes,

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the chefs are British, the mechanics French, the lover's Swiss, the police German and it's all organized by the Italians.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top