Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Women topless on beaches.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We don’t need a military to secure our capital from ourselves.

View Quote

Yeah the Soviets would rather just rape and pillage their own citizens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Rammstein
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nobody wants to see that here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
87% of merican women have no business being topless in public.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They fix things, maintain them, and take care of them, instead of just throwing them away, and building new ones.

Every time I'm in Europe, I'm amazed at how much of Europe, the building and homes, structures, roads, are hundreds, sometimes thousands of years old.  It's nothing to see some place built 500 years ago.  And, a lot of it is really pretty.  And, then you remember, half their stuff was  blown up in WW2, and they just repaired most of it instead of replacing it.  Even a lot of their trains look old, but are well maintained.

On the other hand, here in America, everything is  new and shiny, and ugly  as it can be.  We tear down anything over 40 years old.
View Quote

I seen a small appliance shop in the UK where the guy was fixing a toaster that looked older than me.  

This was in 2005 so I wonder if any of this is changing yet?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I seen a small appliance shop in the UK where the guy was fixing a toaster that looked older than me.  

View Quote

Repairing for profit something that costs $25 new isn't a sign of a thriving economy.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In the final analysis, there are LOTS of "nice" things in Europe, and lots of "nice" aspects to life there. I understand why it works very well for lots of people there.

But there's a reason I am US citizen now.  
View Quote
Taxes?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
They fix things, maintain them, and take care of them, instead of just throwing them away, and building new ones.

Every time I'm in Europe, I'm amazed at how much of Europe, the building and homes, structures, roads, are hundreds, sometimes thousands of years old.  It's nothing to see some place built 500 years ago.  And, a lot of it is really pretty.  And, then you remember, half their stuff was  blown up in WW2, and they just repaired most of it instead of replacing it.  Even a lot of their trains look old, but are well maintained.

On the other hand, here in America, everything is  new and shiny, and ugly  as it can be.  We tear down anything over 40 years old.

Retro stuff sells quite well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Repairing for profit something that costs $25 new isn't a sign of a thriving economy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is if they are paying £100 for a retro item because it’s cool to be retro.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wow.
View Quote
Well then what?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wow.
View Quote

It's clearly because he identifies as a Carl Gustav... That or likes Hot Carl's I cant remember TBH ;).
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the final analysis, there are LOTS of "nice" things in Europe, and lots of "nice" aspects to life there. I understand why it works very well for lots of people there.

Taxes?

Wow.

Madsen?  
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Honestly, if France had gun laws like Oklahoma...I'd probably be there now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Autobahn

Roundabouts

View Quote

Vote for these, and the month of August off.

Not thrilled about gas and diesel prices.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that they seem to appreciate nicer things, or at least perhaps have less of throw-away mentality than we do.  If a guy can make a living fixing small appliances, I'd call that a good thing.

The reason a toaster is $25 (hell probably less) would have more to do with chicom slave labor and our desire for cheap disposable garbage.

Not saying I'm not guilty of the same thing, I believe my wife has been through 3 cheap toasters; though I have been trying not to buy so much cheap junk in the last several years.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Things are changing at a glaciers pace but more US companies are offering more time off to attract younger workers. Unlimited PTO is a thing for corps that can afford it. A lot of millenials saw how their parents and grandparents worked themselves to death at high stress jobs, you know to provide a better life for their kids, and a lot are taking them up on that notion (see guy building camper van thread). Never got to ask my dad if he thought his 60+ hours a week for the overtime pay he loved was worth it in the face of losing time with his wife and kids when he died horribly of cancer in his early 50s. How many saturdays we could have spent riding dirt bikes, shooting, or hunting instead of scanning jet engine blades for GE (and be under constant layoff threat from Neutron Jack). I do think Europeans have it right with the whole holiday thing.
View Quote
Unlimited PTO is a scam.

It prevents chasing getting all the allowed and deserved time off in favor of "look how much you can take!" but in reality people take less than half what they did when they had "limited" time off.  

This applies to anybody that's been there a while. Noobs with only the basic allotment think it's great.  But after a decade, it's more than three or maybe four weeks someone would have and there's a big drop off of usage.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That’s your employer being an arsehole. Not you, mate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have homeless and all of that here also......and several perverted corrupt politicians..
And fuck the 30 day vacations...
I can't take more than one week without being felt like an asshole from my employers.

That’s your employer being an arsehole. Not you, mate.

This.
My former employer gave us 5 weeks vacation plus another 18 days off if you had an assignment with steady days off. The only time I ever saw someone denied their vacation was during the first couple of months following 9/11. They even let people use vacation days from the upcoming year if they didn't have enough.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

i'd say it's a sign of frugality that used to be common here in the states, before we as a culture decided that everything is disposable.

my sister has gone down the disposability rabbit hole, and complains about how stressful it is to buy a new appliance every few years.  meanwhile, my folks are still perfectly content using a refrigerator from the 1980s.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
meanwhile, my folks are still perfectly content using a refrigerator from the 1980s.
View Quote

And I bet it uses more electricity than a small African nation
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In the final analysis, there are LOTS of “nice” things in Europe, and lots of “nice” aspects to life there. I understand why it works very well for lots of people there.

But there’s a reason I am US citizen now.  
View Quote

To be honest, if I were from Denmark I'd go pretty much anywhere to get away from there.

Being better than Denmark isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

To be honest, if I were from Denmark I'd go pretty much anywhere to get away from there.

Being better than Denmark isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
View Quote
If I had to live in Europe, I'd live in Switzerland, Sweden, or Norway.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Starting world wars.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Autobahn

Roundabouts

View Quote

OP is correct about vacation. You are right about these, and the poster above was right about suppressors.

Bidets are common, that's pretty nice.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Many EU countries treat firearm mufflers as inexpensive, unregulated over the counter safety accessories.
View Quote

sort of true . if i go here and say its for my air rifle i just give him 30 quid and walk out , if i say its for a .22lr i need it ( no numbers ) on my licence, free at renewal
. if you do the former and have a .22lr you only break the law if you fit it to a .22lr (well thats only if you get caught with it attached ).

also cans get shot out all the time , they are cheap and you just take it back to the dealer and change it for a new one , dealer sorts his stock level as yours has not changed .

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd agree with OP.

Last year, I hit 10 years with my current employer and unbeknownst to me, rated another week of paid time off. That put me to 6.5 weeks per year. Holy fuck I love time off! There are guys in our UK office that say they start out with basically 5 weeks worth of PTO. When I started at the company they were doing ETO (earned time off), which you could pile up to a limit that increased, as well as the amount per pay period you were awarded. Back in 2015, they switched to PTO and basically allowed us to use up our ETO and still have our full allotment of PTO. It came at a great time because I was selling one house and moving to another. There was some drama, and being able to take a week off here and there really helped. I think I had 2 full months off that year.

Last November, the company announced they're laying off my entire team, save for the manager and a couple of the higher-ranked guys. That left me worried that taking a new job elsewhere might only leave me with a measly 2 weeks of vacation per year. That sucks ass.

One recruiter for a position I talked to, but didn't hear back from, said that company had 13 paid holidays per year, and gave 28 days of paid time off. That sounded pretty nice.

I'm currently in the process of interviewing for another company, but don't know what the compensation and benefits package is like yet. I hope it's good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well then what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.
Well then what?

For a laugh,look up how much a 911 costs in Denmark
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:05:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I go to Europe every year using my month of time off, so I like it over there. That said, while these types of threads are a lot of fun, the US and Europe are just too big and diverse to make sweeping generalizations.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don't have a real military and make us pay for all of it.
View Quote

We should disband our military. If we're going to be openly invaded and not secure our border, we're not even a real country. Americans cities were allowed to be burned by communists for a good part of a year and citizens attacked. Why have a military or police forces if that shit is going to occur?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:12:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Europe is good for a visit - outside that its a mess.  An inefficient, over governed an unproductive disaster zone.  Look at the monumentally inept handling of the COVID vaccine roll out as just the latest example of EU mismanagement.  

I know this as I am a part owner of a company based there - the inefficiency is mind boggling - example, the actual measured productivity per employee over there is 1/3 of what it is here.  Just think about that for one moment.  The over regulation is mind numbing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/laugh-29.gif

I'm serious.  Those older fridges are hideously energy-inefficient.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm serious.  Those older fridges are hideously energy-inefficient.
View Quote
i'm serious, too.

the more 'lectricity you use, the more money i make.  

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top